Derion Kendrick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Durant is giving up over 10.0 yards/target and nearly 17 yards per completion in 2023.

And Kendrick has ten - count them, ten - called penalties with five accepted for 96 yards, as of the Red Hogs game, good for first amongst all defensive players. Not just defensive backs; defensive players. Almost an entire football field of penalties. The only reason it shows it as five is because on five of those, he has gotten burned badly enough that the receivers caught the passes anyway and the teams declined the penalty.

He is slow, undisciplined, is far from sticky in coverage (as whenever he plays man, he usually gets burned), and is not nearly enough of a ballhawk to justify it (one pick in his whole two year career, compared to Durant's three in one year played, basically, given that Durant was injured most of last year and has had problems sticking in the lineup this year).

I would much, much rather have Durant, and given that Kendrick was benched - again - I think the coaching staff would rather have Durant at this point as well.

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Durant is giving up over 10.0 yards/target and nearly 17 yards per completion in 2023.

Neither of them are the answer IMO. One is physical and competes but lets his emotion get to him and lacks speed. The other is athletic and has enough speed but shies away from contact. We need someone to leapfrog both of them.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Neither of them are the answer IMO. One is physical and competes but lets his emotion get to him and lacks speed. The other is athletic and has enough speed but shies away from contact. We need someone to leapfrog both of them.
No but some people are so blinded for their hate of DK they are trying to convince others what they believe that Durant and Witherspoon are good. You're correct there isn't an answer on the roster and we're not likely to find it this year. Hopefully we can upgrade next year and still make a run this year.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Agree! I wasn't referring to his speed but instead his production has slowed. That attempted rundown of Howell, I think it was, showed speed is still there on a play by play basis.
Gotcha ... agree

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
And Kendrick has ten - count them, ten - called penalties with five accepted for 96 yards, as of the Red Hogs game, good for first amongst all defensive players.
11 called 10 accepted ... but your points are solid

Memento

Name
Jemma
No but some people are so blinded for their hate of DK they are trying to convince others what they believe that Durant and Witherspoon are good. You're correct there isn't an answer on the roster and we're not likely to find it this year. Hopefully we can upgrade next year and still make a run this year.

I admit that I'm not a Kendrick fan (so I'm probably biased). I admit that Durant has his issues. But clearly, Durant is a better answer than Kendrick this year.
11 called 10 accepted ... but your points are solid

Yeah, didn't realize it was ten accepted. Ten accepted makes more sense than five, but I can't find that article/tweet that basically says that Kendrick has the most accepted penalties for a DB since...some crazy thing like 2016?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yep! We are going to have to make do and that will be something Rah will have to figure out. Rah has been exceptional in my eyes and even though we don't have the horse I know he will be up late looking for a way.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Where are you getting that info? Can you post a link to the source?

There is varying sources --- but I don't find what you are saying ...
Just want the facts to be out there so if you have a link I can add it to what I have

2023-12-22_20-24-09.jpg

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
that Kendrick has the most accepted penalties for a DB since...some crazy thing like 2016?

To get more accepted---yes, you'd have to go to 2016. There have been a couple of guys since that have 10 as well ... same as DK

Memento

Name
Jemma
To get more accepted---yes, you'd have to go to 2016. There have been a couple of guys since that have 10 as well ... same as DK

Huh. So, there's defensive backs who have gotten ten penalties called, but not accepted?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They were in our territory frequently. A couple timely sacks ended drives on 4th down.

No way to spin it, but it was not a good performance by the secondary.
I think forcing turnovers on 4th down is quite a good spin. Not saying they were lights out but if carr was getting whatever he wanted, they'd have more points.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Huh. So, there's defensive backs who have gotten ten penalties called, but not accepted?
Oh yeah. Not a lot but Brandon Browner had over 20 in 2016. Josh Norman had 19, 14 accepted in 2016. In 2021 Snead had 10, all 10 accepted ... stuff like that

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Yes upgrades are needed. Durant at least is still young and has speed to develop into a solid #2 possibly (no guarantees there). However, we still need to do our best to upgrade the secondary regardless. Definitely won't happen until next year. With that said, I'd much rather have Durant out there then Kendrick.

Ellard80

Legend
Durant hasn't played much really but he isn't great either.

Lumping Witherspoon in the same category as dk and Durant however is fallacious.

Witherspoon this year has given up 41% target a 57 QB rating on targets.

Durant 60% and 91 rating

Kendrick 59% and 91 rating (but that doesn't account for the fact that he is the most penalized DB in the NFL)

Spoons been solid.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I admit that I'm not a Kendrick fan (so I'm probably biased). I admit that Durant has his issues. But clearly, Durant is a better answer than Kendrick this year.
However you want to sell it :)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Durant hasn't played much really but he isn't great either.

Lumping Witherspoon in the same category as dk and Durant however is fallacious.

Witherspoon this year has given up 41% target a 57 QB rating on targets.

Durant 60% and 91 rating

Kendrick 59% and 91 rating (but that doesn't account for the fact that he is the most penalized DB in the NFL)

Spoons been solid.
How many times Thursday were passes completed on Witherspoon? I'm not talking all year I'm talking in the last handful of weeks. He has not been good of late. I've said multiple weeks in a row. I've also pointed out this is the track record of his career. A few good games and a string of bad games. It's the way the guy plays. I'm not denying he was good early in the season. But this week he gave up completion after completion especially early in the game. He's not a good CB he's merely acceptable at times.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes upgrades are needed. Durant at least is still young and has speed to develop into a solid #2 possibly (no guarantees there). However, we still need to do our best to upgrade the secondary regardless. Definitely won't happen until next year. With that said, I'd much rather have Durant out there then Kendrick.
I'm so over people saying a player is good just because he has speed. Great he's fast, and he gave up a lot of completions. As for Durant over DK what is the difference? Giving up completion after completion so they can move down the field and never break up a pass or breaking up occasional passes but giving up stupid penalties? The results still the same the other team is moving down the field.

Again to all 3 of you I just replied to. I'm not saying DK is great, never have. I'm not saying DK over Durant or vice versa, they both need upgraded and neither should be CB1 or CB2 at this point. But we have no other option because of decisions that they had to make building the team this year. But some of you guys have such vitriol directed at DK. He's a 2nd year player drafted in the 6th round. He's shown some flashes and he's shown us why he's a 6th round pick. It sucks for him that we had to press him into starting but the fact is he beat out Durant in camp, Durant has injury issues and Thomlinson doesn't seem to be ready either.

I'm not telling any of you how to post but seriously the amount of hate directed at the kid is just astounding to me. My favorite thing and a sure way to get me to just ignore posts on a subject is calling for a kid to be waived. That is the absolute most comical thing I see about it. Cutting a 2nd year player who does some good but gives up too many penalties. Our secondary needs upgrades, the trade deadline has passed. We're going to have to live with these flawed DB's for a few more weeks.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I'm so over people saying a player is good just because he has speed. Great he's fast, and he gave up a lot of completions. As for Durant over DK what is the difference? Giving up completion after completion so they can move down the field and never break up a pass or breaking up occasional passes but giving up stupid penalties? The results still the same the other team is moving down the field.

Again to all 3 of you I just replied to. I'm not saying DK is great, never have. I'm not saying DK over Durant or vice versa, they both need upgraded and neither should be CB1 or CB2 at this point. But we have no other option because of decisions that they had to make building the team this year. But some of you guys have such vitriol directed at DK. He's a 2nd year player drafted in the 6th round. He's shown some flashes and he's shown us why he's a 6th round pick. It sucks for him that we had to press him into starting but the fact is he beat out Durant in camp, Durant has injury issues and Thomlinson doesn't seem to be ready either.

I'm not telling any of you how to post but seriously the amount of hate directed at the kid is just astounding to me. My favorite thing and a sure way to get me to just ignore posts on a subject is calling for a kid to be waived. That is the absolute most comical thing I see about it. Cutting a 2nd year player who does some good but gives up too many penalties. Our secondary needs upgrades, the trade deadline has passed. We're going to have to live with these flawed DB's for a few more weeks.
This is exactly what I mean by people being sensitive about criticizing other players. There is no hate I have towards Kendrick. I just truly believe he's not good and said so from day one. The fact that he has no speed doesn't help him out at all. I literally said that Durant at least has speed and can maybe develop into a better CB because you cannot teach speed. I also said there's no guarantees that that would happen. I'm literally on record saying that we need to upgrade the secondary next year regardless yet somehow I'm saying Durant is the answer? I've also clearly stated that I get why Kendrick started based on our salary cap restraints. Kinda weird how I ended up in the response based on what I've posted. Guess you're only reading parts of my posts

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh yeah. Not a lot but Brandon Browner had over 20 in 2016. Josh Norman had 19, 14 accepted in 2016. In 2021 Snead had 10, all 10 accepted ... stuff like that
Was it 2015 in Browners case? That was the last year he played. Norman was a good CB in the 5th year of a 12 year career. Hell if DK turns it around like Norman I'll take it in a heart beat. More and more as we drop down in the draft I'm seeing a lot more CB mocked to us. Cooper DeJean is one of the more common players we get lately and I love that. Him Kamari Lassiter, Kalen King, Denzel Burke and Quinyon Mitchel are the most common.