Denver's OLB Von Miller traded to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Sorry man. Was not aware of this rule until yesterday.

There is a gamble here but it's an exciting and fun time to be a Rams' fan.

I posted yesterday that the Rams from 1990-1998, averaged five-wins per-season. Then, following the success of 1999-2004, went 12 years ('05-'16) where they again averaged five-wins per-year. That's 21 seasons of 5-11 football, without a plyoff-appearance or even one winning season.

Most of those years, it was in early/mid November that I began focusing my Rams' attention on the Draft five months into the future. That sucked, and I don't miss it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Can I get a link to that?
I haven't read it, so I don't know the source.
I’ll have to look but I think it was on the athletic…subs required

Or it was on a tweet posted on this thread for in a Rams video posted on this thread. I think it was a tweet iirc. But I’m not rolling through every page.

Maybe someone else will recall.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Actually this trade was agreed upon a week ago. I’m guessing it was linked to the Kenny Young deal. The report was that Von Miller was kept in the loop throughout the entire process.

There’s been some overlapping reporting confusing the timeline. The teams were talking for about a week due to the Kenny Young trade, but didn’t really get into it until Friday with respect to Von Miller who also was being courted by Dallas and another playoff team, but their best offer was apparently a third.

Von was informed of the possibility of a trade Friday or Saturday with the details being finalized on Sunday night/Monday morning.

So yeah, he’s still in shock a bit. Based on how Von describes how they told him the trade went down, he seemed genuinely surprised that the trade actually happened.

I think when he realized he was going to LA with all his connections here and to THIS defense, he’s looking forward to it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
But then we probably get a high Comp pick if Von leaves in FA...maybe even a 3rd, so really we gave a 2nd only...

Because Von Miller is a 10 year vested vet, per the rules, the best we could get is a 5th comp.

This is why he’s not a flip and we should expect every effort to resign him

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
There’s been some overlapping reporting confusing the timeline. The teams were talking for about a week due to the Kenny Young trade, but didn’t really get into it until Friday with respect to Von Miller who also was being courted by Dallas and another playoff team, but their best offer was apparently a third.

Von was informed of the possibility of a trade Friday or Saturday with the details being finalized on Sunday night/Monday morning.

So yeah, he’s still in shock a bit. Based on how Von describes how they told him the trade went down, he seemed genuinely surprised that the trade actually happened.

I think when he realized he was going to LA with all his connections here and to THIS defense, he’s looking forward to it.
He'll get over it. I think he'll be ok.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Conflicting reports

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DC Morris has been using lately a safety Taylor Rapp in 2nd & 3rd down long situations in the ILB post. So those snaps are trending in this direction as we post. Yes, that does open up a safety position when Rapp is playing up close to the LOS. But this is where Rapp best earns his $$$ as a Ram. So this is a positive not a negative.

Also, we have seen corner Jalen Ramsey playing down inside @ the LOS too. Sounds like a waste but Ramsey is an absolute nightmare for OC's having to deal with his athletic ability in those close areas. I see no harm in using Ramsey at times in an ILB'er position as long as we have healthy corners Darious Williams, Robert Rochell & Donte Deayon playing the outside corner posts & corner David Long not playing outside.

So right now DC Morris has a healthy 3rd season Troy Reeder & rookie Ernest Jones is available to play his one ILB'er post...I see no real issue. He also does have a healthy ILB'er Jake Gervase riding the PS.

At some point in time Justin Hollins & Travin Howard will come off the IR & both can provide the needed backup to Jones & Reeder. I am sure Hollins would enjoy some 1st down snaps playing ILB'er when asked. Hollins is by far more OLB'er & DE than ILB'er but he does have starts at this ILB'er position in the NFL so he is valid help.

What DC Morris really needs is for one of his safeties to step up to secure the Taylor Rapp starting safety post. I would keep an eye on PS strong Safety Antoine Brooks Jr. It's also time that Terrell Burgess gets his act together & makes a play to become a starter!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We've been using a lot of 5-1 fronts with the 3 down linemen and the 2 edge all on the line with one ILB now being Jones. The only change I'd see with us now short on ILB is in big package obvious run situations we do a 4-3 with AD, Gaines, Robinson and SJD up front and Jones and the 2 Egde. Remember both Floyd and Miller are excellent edge guys vs the run.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't think the Kenny Young trade was a part of this as some sort of "package".
Deals ain't done until they're done.
The Rams and Broncos have had a positive working relationship for a few years, it seems, and the Young trade gave them a chance to talk about Miller as well.

Here's the real truth:

Les: You know, that thirteen28 guy over at ROD really needs to get a lot of shit done at work today and needs to remain focused.
Sean: Yeah, we need to come up with a plan to fuck that up.
Les: I know - let's trade for Von Miller! He'll be surfing the net all day and won't get shit done! He'll read so many posts on ROD his productivity will go right down the sewer.
Sean: Yeah, do that - and Miller can also help the defense, so that's kind of a bonus to go along with our main objective here.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Or it was on a tweet posted on this thread for in a Rams video posted on this thread. I think it was a tweet iirc. But I’m not rolling through every page.

Maybe someone else will recall.
Yeah… listened to 11 personnel & Coach McVay show…. Nothing to indicate it was agreed upon a week ago.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah… listened to 11 personnel & Coach McVay show…. Nothing to indicate it was agreed upon a week ago.
No in fact they said during the Young talks Von was brought up and there wasn't push back so they agreed to circle back on it after.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I didn’t make it up. I read it somewhere, but you can feel free to disregard it if you like. It’s possible it was an erroneous report.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
For anyone who hasn’t seen what Oldschool is referring to:

View: https://youtu.be/RGJb2iLvOKE

Those two dudes kill me man. :laugh4:

Dallas getting Von would have sucked. They're legit this year and there's a good chance we're gonna need to put them down in the playoffs.

JYB

Starter
Because a good part of the season is spent being amateur talent evaluators to come up with their draft boards. I myself have never gotten into that part of the NFL offseason...
I (used to) love the draft too. Of course, pre-McVay, the draft was always the most exciting part of our season. But being serious contenders every year, always shooting for the stars and being all-in, and consistently being darn near the center of the football universe is a very small price to pay for being boring on draft day.

Yeah, I'll take this over exciting drafts all day long. :)

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
So do we trade Floyd next year or what?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Does regular subscription to the atlantic come with access to article archives going back or is ir strictly new articles?