Denver's OLB Von Miller traded to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
You don't simply up and trade Young when he's playing so well, and get virtually nothing in return, simply for financial reasons. His release didn't clear that much cap to make it worthwhile (only $1.3M). This is another "we coincidentally met in Cabo" fairy tale.

SJD is a position they have covered with Gaines, Robinson and Brown and would net them about $2M. But the Bronco's need was at ILB. Young was only the downpayment on the deal. Why else would the Broncos eat $9M of Miller's remaining contract? That is exactly what McVay is talking about when he says Young's trade was for "financial reasons".

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Hollis was playing ILB in Denver. I think when he comes back we will see him take some of Reeders snaps. Besides depth it will give us way more flexibility with players on the field being able to play multiple positions.
Also the Rams have 3 very long linebackers when hollis comes back. You put that in front of the munchkin and it makes a difference.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You don't simply up and trade Young when he's playing so well, and get virtually nothing in return, simply for financial reasons. His release didn't clear that much cap to make it worthwhile (only $1.3M). This is another "we coincidentally met in Cabo" fairy tale.

SJD is a position they have covered with Gaines, Robinson and Brown and would net them about $2M. But the Bronco's need was at ILB. Young was only the downpayment on the deal. Why else would the Broncos eat $9M of Miller's remaining contract? That is exactly what McVay is talking about when he says Young's trade was for "financial reasons".
I don't think it works that way, exactly.
Again.. teams have positive working relationships work things out.
The Broncos ate $9 million because the Rams threw in a 3rd rounder in addition to the second.

Watching E Jones play was the answer on the Young trade. And, no, Reeder doesn't play the same position as those two.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Another factor for this season is we can put Lewis on a snap count, due to his past injury history.
Also on the Hollins "note", he was coming into his own as a starting edge guy, but also has some history playing inside. The trickle down from adding Von Miller. Keeping bodies fresh, so we can keep attacking the QBs we will see in the playoffs and our Div including Trey at "some point" too
Not sure the various assumptions (not necessarily above post) being made about Lewis are correct. We don't even know if he even really needs a snap count still less what the Rams' plans are for him.

What we do know is that the Rams now have a HOFer to start at OLB and tremendous depth and options for rotations. Morris must be ecstatic just to consider the possibilities.

We'll see what happens but I think Lewis will continue to see the field. Imo Lewis is too much of a physical force and has too much potential not to play.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Also the Rams have 3 very long linebackers when hollis comes back. You put that in front of the munchkin and it makes a difference.
They can keep rolling fresh legs at him as well, very important when you have a guy who runs around like him. Heck.. Jamir Jones looks like he's coming along.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Not sure the various assumptions (not necessarily above post) being made about Lewis are correct. We don't even know if he even really needs a snap count still less what the Rams' plans are for him.

What we do know is that the Rams now have a HOFer to start at OLB and tremendous depth and options for rotations. Morris must be ecstatic just to consider the possibilities.

We'll see what happens but I think Lewis will continue to see the field. Imo Lewis is too much of a physical force and has too much potential not to play.
We do know that the Rams have a "management plan" for Lewis, from various reports.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I said it last week when Young was handed to Denver for peanuts. But I guessed Fuller not Von. I get the cookie.

That is a funny Key and Peele skit. One of my favorites.

Miller’s deal was agreed upon a week ago. Likely they were connected. Denver was desperate at LBer so needed Young ASAP
Can I get a link to that?
I haven't read it, so I don't know the source.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

You know how some times it's hard to get touches for all your skill players. I think Morris is going to struggle with getting guys snaps. He has so many options now it could be confusing at first. Hope it doesn't take long to figure it out.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
We do know that the Rams have a "management plan" for Lewis, from various reports.
Yeah, it consists of him not taking 20 snaps on Wednesday in practice. Same "management plan" as some of the vets. Lewis basically scoffed at it in a press conference.

It has never been clear what was going on with Lewis' knee. Apparently last year he had some swelling or other symptoms (not uncommon after ACL surgery a year before). Rams' doctors thought it was an infection, did exploratory surgery and found nothing. But that and covid held Lewis back further.

This year Rams were super cautious with Lewis in camp. But this may have been just to make sure he would ok for the season. Once the season started, in so far as we have any information and including from Lewis himself, he's been fine. He's been playing 60% of the snaps.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Hollins was the starter and getting the majority of snaps before he got hurt. The Miller thing will knock Obo down a notch in reps. When Hollins comes back, if he comes back, we'll see what the roster looks like at that point, health wise.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
You know how some times it's hard to get touches for all your skill players. I think Morris is going to struggle with getting guys snaps. He has so many options now it could be confusing at first. Hope it doesn't take long to figure it out.
I'm sure Morris will continue to try different things as he has throughout the season. We'll see where he lands in big games when it counts and in the playoffs.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah, it consists of him not taking 20 snaps on Wednesday in practice. Same "management plan" as some of the vets. Lewis basically scoffed at it in a press conference.

It has never been clear what was going on with Lewis' knee. Apparently last year he had some swelling or other symptoms (not uncommon after ACL surgery a year before). Rams' doctors thought it was an infection, did exploratory surgery and found nothing. But that and covid held Lewis back further.

This year Rams were super cautious with Lewis in camp. But this may have been just to make sure he would ok for the season. Once the season started, in so far as we have any information and including from Lewis himself, he's been fine. He's been playing 60% of the snaps.
That's not the only factor, from what I've read/heard.
And.. he can scoff all he wants.. he's missed time from it and will again in the future, based on all evidence.

We'll see! I don't wish for it and love seeing him on the field and what he's put out. Loved taking the gamble on him in the 3rd and am more than happy with how it's playing out at the moment.

Hollins was getting more snaps than him and was the starter, so there's that evidence as well that they perceived him as a rotational guy, not a starter.

Oh.. and the fact that they traded for Von Miller suggests they may want more security at his spot.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
No amount of teaching will allow Lewis to get the sudden change of direction he needs to get his game to that elite level.

His knee won’t take it. When he tries to turn the corner you can see that he isn’t able to put the full force of the load on it. Unfortunately that will always hold him back. Unless someone invents a miracle cure for his injury.
What I see is a guy who is 6'5" and 262 pounds and learning best technique for his size, not someone limping around. Lewis has been chasing guys all over the field. Looks totally good to me, lots of physical talent, just needs to play and improve in all facets of his game.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it works that way, exactly.
Again.. teams have positive working relationships work things out.
The Broncos ate $9 million because the Rams threw in a 3rd rounder in addition to the second.

Watching E Jones play was the answer on the Young trade. And, no, Reeder doesn't play the same position as those two.
But then we probably get a high Comp pick if Von leaves in FA...maybe even a 3rd, so really we gave a 2nd only...

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
But then we probably get a high Comp pick if Von leaves in FA...maybe even a 3rd, so really we gave a 2nd only...
Oh, I'm more than happy!! Completely aware of the comp stuff and think the Rams are ahead of the curve compared to the rest of the league on this approach.
I was merely pointing out why the Rams had to pay as much as they did.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Oh, I'm more than happy!! Completely aware of the comp stuff and think the Rams are ahead of the curve compared to the rest of the league on this approach.
I was merely pointing out why the Rams had to pay as much as they did.
Something about over 10 years in we can't get more than a 5th round.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Unfortunately, No.

There's a rule that if a ten-year-vet signs leaves via free agency, the highest comp-pick is a fifth rounder.