Demise of the Rams Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I thought they played a lot better last night ... until Geno Smith came in and Morris reverted back to weeks 1-4.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
You are way more optimistic about Jones than I am. Seeing him in preseason, it didn’t appear to me he had the athleticism to be an NFL starter. But you never know.
I can't see him having less athleticism than Reeder, and he has played well. I don't think MLBers by and large have to be great athletes, of course there are a few exceptions.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The numbers say they played well last night. But the eyeball test says different. I'll chalk up the problems with Geno Smith to not having prepared for him. But there were some open receivers that should not have been that open on that 98 drive.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cb2/3 will continue to be a roller coaster this year especially if Williams is out any amount of time.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I can't see him having less athleticism than Reeder, and he has played well. I don't think MLBers by and large have to be great athletes, of course there are a few exceptions.
The way I see it is our 3rd round 2021 draft selection #50 Ernest Jones is in line & being groomed to replace ILB'er Kenny Young in 2022.

It's very possible that since DC Morris normally starts only one ILB'er that the responsibilities that Morris places on that one LB'er might be just too much at this time for Jones to be successful. I do believe that Jones has a bright future & would make the starting defense better when he is ready.

MLB Troy Reeder even with his limitations in pass coverages does remain productive when he does get his opportunities on snaps against run dominating offenses. MLB Reeder has 2 previous seasons as a starter. If you have issues with Troy Reeder in pass coverages as a backup & are fine with starting safety Taylor Rapp coverage, I would suggest you might want to re-do your assessments of these two Ram defenders.

I do know this Jones does not bring any wood or hit with his tackles. Jones has to ride his ball carriers a bit before they go down after contact.

Last edited:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I don't know, when I watch the games Young seems to be very active and involved in alot of tackles. I also think the more he plays the better he will get.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The way I see it is our 3rd round 2021 draft selection #50 Ernest Jones is in line & being groomed to replace ILB'er Kenny Young in 2022.

It's very possible that since DC Morris normally starts only one ILB'er that the responsibilities that Morris places on that one LB'er might be just too much at this time for Jones to be successful. I do believe that Jones has a bright future & would make the starting defense better when he is ready.

MLB Troy Reeder even with his limitations in pass coverages does remain productive when he does get his opportunities on snaps against run dominating offenses. MLB Reeder has 2 previous seasons as a starter.

I do know this Jones does not bring any wood or hit with his tackles & he gets drugged for several more yards after contact.
If he's getting drugged, that might explain why he's slow to react.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I thought they played a lot better last night ... until Geno Smith came in and Morris reverted back to weeks 1-4.
I just don't understand Morris's propensity to go back to what doesn't work just because a different QB came in. Seems like one of the first things you would want to do to a rusty QB is blitz the fuck out of him to make him uncomfortable and force mistakes. I just don't get it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You are way more optimistic about Jones than I am. Seeing him in preseason, it didn’t appear to me he had the athleticism to be an NFL starter. But you never know.
All I have there is hope. ILB is a position where quick decisions can lead to effectiveness. If you read and get moving a half second quicker than an athletic ILB the net can be similar.

Also there is getting through traffic. It is a skill some guys have. Some can stack and shed too which is another area to consider.

Lastly leadership can be a force accelerator too which is difficult to measure but very real.

Not high on him or anything but he is an unknown who may be able to improve us down the road.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
All I have there is hope. ILB is a position where quick decisions can lead to effectiveness. If you read and get moving a half second quicker than an athletic ILB the net can be similar.

Also there is getting through traffic. It is a skill some guys have. Some can stack and shed too which is another area to consider.

Lastly leadership can be a force accelerator too which is difficult to measure but very real.

Not high on him or anything but he is an unknown who may be able to improve us down the road.
Not downplaying any of that... but our shining rookie star from last year with many of those same attributes and limitations has been almost invisible this year.
Fuller hasn't done anything to impact a game, as far as I can remember. Rapp gets bombed on for all the plays he misses... but some of that is because he's closer to plays, imo. Fuller? I don't even see him on the screen in most plays, it seems.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't understand Morris's propensity to go back to what doesn't work just because a different QB came in. Seems like one of the first things you would want to do to a rusty QB is blitz the fuck out of him to make him uncomfortable and force mistakes. I just don't get it.
I think Morris struggles most with what Staley called putting a cap on the offense. In that situation you do want to take away the deep field and make them drive and eat clock. But it seems like with that call group the Rams players are too relaxed.

There was a third down there where the rushers were collectively going through the motions and Geno could have made a ham sandwich back there.. It is like Morris has them thinking it is ok to surrender yards and exchange them for clock, which is accurate in some situations but it doesn't work when you give it up too easy.

What a good prevent is supposed to look like is the deep taken away and DBs coming down on pass catchers with punishment and jumping on QB mistakes when he gets pressure. But do that poorly and it gives fans that old sinking feeling lol.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think Morris struggles most with what Staley called putting a cap on the offense. In that situation you do want to take away the deep field and make them drive and eat clock. But it seems like with that call group the Rams players are too relaxed.

There was a third down there where the rushers were collectively going through the motions and Geno could have made a ham sandwich back there.. It is like Morris has them thinking it is ok to surrender yards and exchange them for clock, which is accurate in some situations but it doesn't work when you give it up too easy.

What a good prevent is supposed to look like is the deep taken away and DBs coming down on pass catchers with punishment and jumping on QB mistakes when he gets pressure. But do that poorly and it gives fans that old sinking feeling lol.
All I know about the prevent defense is, it is the fastest way to prevent us from winning. Most good QBs salivate when they see it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not downplaying any of that... but our shining rookie star from last year with many of those same attributes and limitations has been almost invisible this year.
Fuller hasn't done anything to impact a game, as far as I can remember. Rapp gets bombed on for all the plays he misses... but some of that is because he's closer to plays, imo. Fuller? I don't even see him on the screen in most plays, it seems.
Last year he was paired with Johnson. This year he is anchoring things back there with Rapp who has not looked good in a primary safety role.

New DC calling the game different too in certain situations. New reads and approach in the game plan. The guy had a DC last year who had the safety group ready for everything. Staley was special. This year the DC is learning.

Hope it gets better as Morris finds his way. That is all I can say. The alternative is to decide that guys like Fuller, Williams, etc fell off a cliff.

808RAMS

Rookie
Name
Spencer
The Seattle offense was averaging near 26 pts a game. Our defense held them to 16 pts. That's pretty damn good.

RamWoodie

Legend
You simply have to let the defense gel and let the youngsters get some experience.

It's been painful sometimes but it'll come.

Let's not forget Johnson, Brockers, and Hill. Those are huge pieces to lose!!!

Give it time folks!!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

It would be of great help to this defensive scheme on your subject above if the Rams had an NFL average performing deep safety besides what Morris is running out there now.

I am convinced if the same Terrell Burgess (that we saw just before his serious lower leg injury) in 2021 were healthy this defense would be playing @ a very high level. Instead of the :crap: seen on each & every DC Morris's pass coverages package.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Remember last year’s Jets game? Dolphins?

I ain’t counting them unhatched chickens..
My Mind's Eye, my Mind's Eye!

Yell Home Alone GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia