Demise of the Rams Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Those dogs are impressive they way they communicate with each other during the hunt. They pick out their prey and know how to separate it from the herd. Dogs that don't need as much will let the others eat first. Mothers will go back to their pups and regurgitate to feed them.
Those are seriously awesome facts. I love animal facts like this; wild canines still acting like pack animals is very interesting to look at from an animal lover’s POV

Speaking about animals, hyenas. Neither cat nor dog, has the largest bite force in the animal kingdom, females control the group and have a pseudo-penis.

The more you know…

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Boy... Chargers getting absolutely gashed by a team that scored all of 14 points last week.
They may need to start talking about their defensive scheme and coaching and whether it's working.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It's interesting to look at the Rams boards and social media landscape today.
The contortions some are going through when people rightly point out that the Chargers defense isn't tearing things up is telling.
The Rams have had 4 consecutive winning seasons and the draft positions associated with that and have had key players and coaches poached away. The league is set up for parity.

The Chargers have a ton of defensive talent.. certainly have more aggregate draft pics invested in personnel than the Rams do.. and they have true All-pros in James and Bosa.

Regression was going to happen. No, Morris is not as good as Staley, I'd never argue that. Staley is brilliant. But.. those wanting to just jump all over Morris and ignore all the other factors seem to be ignoring the realities of the NFL.

If you average out the contracts signed by the defensive players that left.. the Rams lost about $31 million dollars on defense. That's a lot!!!!

So, there's some rough spots here and some adjustments to be made. It's not on Morris that the Rams didn't identify and develop players who were immediately ready to step in for Hill and Johnson.

The first big move was made last week in getting Rochelle in. Let's see what comes next.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The thing with Staley and the Chargers is that his DC ability will be diluted a bit by the demands of being a head coach. You see it over and over.

Using Zimmer as a recent example he will probably be fired soon (this year or next) and some team will snap him up and the league will be reminded what an excellent DC he is. Well why was his defense so up and down in Minnesota? It's not that his tendency of playing outside leverages with his DBs and threatening A gap blitzes don't work any more. It's that he doesn't have the same amount of time to focus in on just one side of the ball. These guys are human.

Back to Staley if he was still our DC there is no doubt in my mind our defense would be mutating and taking steps forward with him implementing new and creative combinations in his play calls. And he's such a great teacher that the DBs would be executing most likely and would probably be in that top ten maybe even top five.

But I will admit talent matters too. And we lost JJ and a solid CB3 in Hill. So maybe some of our issues have been personnel. Thing is though that for a coach to run a scheme he has to have a deep grasp of the concepts and a plan for teaching all that to the players. Well, given that this is Morris' first time running this defense, I think it is understandable that he's learning on the job. So it would not surprise me to see the defense get better going forward and I hope for that.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Rams are tied for 3rd in sacks and 4th in interceptions.. and if you take out the punt debacle in Indy, are too 10 in points against.

If they can sustain those three metrics, they’ll be in great shape, imo.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Rams are tied for 3rd in sacks and 4th in interceptions.. and if you take out the punt debacle in Indy, are too 10 in points against.

If they can sustain those three metrics, they’ll be in great shape, imo.

Agreed. the GSOT rams had a #10 defense I believe. Good enough to win.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
To Al DAVIS it did.

Just win baby. When will Jared Goff win a game without Sean Mcvay.

He is a NFL loser without him from that stat alone. You can add all the other STATS up ? Those mean whatever? I like Goff just think he is
put in a tough situation & The Rams we’re smart to trade him.
That all said The Rams defense is underrated around here.The DB group has the Top DB in The NFL.
The teams were losers. It's a flawed argument. It ignores all the context around the loses. Are you a politician or a media member? Your doing a great job of ignoring ALL the facts and cherry picking the ones that suit your argument.

Tano

Legend
The teams were losers. It's a flawed argument. It ignores all the context around the loses. Are you a politician or a media member? Your doing a great job of ignoring ALL the facts and cherry picking the ones that suit your argument.
I agree

When Goff played for Fisher, he had the absolute worst OC in the history of the NFL and that guy is STILL the TE coach at Buffalo.

And this year, I doubt Stafford would have more than 1 win with the Lions

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Boy... Chargers getting absolutely gashed by a team that scored all of 14 points last week.
They may need to start talking about their defensive scheme and coaching and whether it's working.
The Chargers have the worst run defense in the NFL. Literally 32nd.
JJ and Hill didn’t fare too well yesterday.
I’m pretty sure that two of their starting Corners have been injured and recently one of their safeties. It’s tough for two guys to cover everyone.

Trying to make it seem like the Rams don’t miss either? Hill played the slot allowing Ramsey to move around. Williams has struggled in the slot and in the star roles. He looks like a pure outside corner. Our Deep safety coverage has been lacking too. The Rams are giving up far to many explosive plays, unlike last year.

Hopefully they can work through it. It seems they are trying with different players

oldnotdead

Legend
And this year, I doubt Stafford would have more than 1 win with the Lions

That's pretty optimistic considering their two best WRs are now gone and the OL is even worse this year. It was marginal last year but is downright pathetic now. Goff is getting pummeled just like he was in 2019 only in Detroit he as no receiver help or RB help. If the secondary played just average, the Lions would have 2 wins under Goff.

They have talent in their secondary but it's poorly coached. This is another instance reminiscent of the Rams OL underperforming with Kromer and are now almost elite with Carberry with the same guys. The Detroit secondary is exactly the same. The Detroit DC is crap and should be fired. But Campbell is trying to deflect all the blame to Goff to protect his pathetic staff. That is the reality of the issue in Detroit.

Anthony Lynn wasn't a good HC but he was better than Campbell. Capers is old but he would be a better DC than Glenn who has never been a DC, but he was with Campbell in NO and they are good friends. Glenn's forte is supposed to be developing secondary talent. Well, it's 6 games in and they look downright bad with a #25 ranking (which is totally deserved).

Holmes needs to clean house and he has the staff to promote from within. They won't be a good coaching staff but how can they be worse? At the end of the season, Brad can really clean house. But right now this clown act has locked up the #1 pick in next year's draft. He can get 2 more first-round picks and additional picks in the second and third rounds with it. That will allow him to built up this team the right way over the next two years. That's why I think Holmes will simply ride the season out with the present clown car act.

BTW Campbell wasn't Holme's first choice for HC. In fact he was probably Brad's 3rd choice at best. This is why IMO he surrounded Campbell with Lynn and Capers both of whom are more qualified as HC and DC. But if the Lions get totally crushed by the Rams, and start giving up like the Giant's did Holmes might not have a choice about keeping Campbell.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The Chargers have the worst run defense in the NFL. Literally 32nd.

I’m pretty sure that two of their starting Corners have been injured and recently one of their safeties. It’s tough for two guys to cover everyone.

Trying to make it seem like the Rams don’t miss either? Hill played the slot allowing Ramsey to move around. Williams has struggled in the slot and in the star roles. He looks like a pure outside corner. Our Deep safety coverage has been lacking too. The Rams are giving up far to many explosive plays, unlike last year.

Hopefully they can work through it. It seems they are trying with different players
I, in no way, was suggesting that I would not want to have JJ and Hill on the Rams this year. However, it is notable that they are not elite players that can't be replaced. I also think that, in this year's scheme, Hill would likely be giving up a lot of completions, just as DWill and other Rams CBs (not named Ramsey) have been. JJ, I believe, would be making more of an impact, but you can't pay everyone.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Just not looking back how long ago was this posted? The lossing continues,and the following games his HC calls him out.
You can talk crap about The Rams defense all you want.They are still winning.Yes Cherry Picking since this statement I believe Gruden has been fired as well.
The fact Olsen is the OC & finally back to play calling the deep ball cameback into effect.I like Zac Robinson as a QB coach,but he also is always with Cooper Kupp this season.I think Stafford’s connection is more with Sean Mcvay from just observing games on tv.
Greg Olsen was probably The Best QB coach Goff has had.He has played for a lot of different OC’s & offenses which is never easy.

—Talk to me when Jared Goff wins a game though.Looks like he should beat the Eagles on Halloween.If not things will only get scarier.

—Plus I don’t know how much of a Jared Goff fan you are? We can talk about Cherry Picking.What I know is it is still a team game & I like this Rams team.I have always respected & liked Jared Goff.Got banned for a day because I said something about his Seahag Costume last season & suggested another one as well which wasn’t well received.Right around the Miami loss..
David Long gave up Tua’s first TD.Saw Tua lose to the Jags.The Rams only gave up 95 yards passing in that loss last year. Still I think Jared Goff is in the middle of Lawrence & Tua as a NFL QB in the next 3 years imo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's pretty optimistic considering their two best WRs are now gone and the OL is even worse this year. It was marginal last year but is downright pathetic now. Goff is getting pummeled just like he was in 2019 only in Detroit he as no receiver help or RB help. If the secondary played just average, the Lions would have 2 wins under Goff.

They have talent in their secondary but it's poorly coached. This is another instance reminiscent of the Rams OL underperforming with Kromer and are now almost elite with Carberry with the same guys. The Detroit secondary is exactly the same. The Detroit DC is crap and should be fired. But Campbell is trying to deflect all the blame to Goff to protect his pathetic staff. That is the reality of the issue in Detroit.

Anthony Lynn wasn't a good HC but he was better than Campbell. Capers is old but he would be a better DC than Glenn who has never been a DC, but he was with Campbell in NO and they are good friends. Glenn's forte is supposed to be developing secondary talent. Well, it's 6 games in and they look downright bad with a #25 ranking (which is totally deserved).

Holmes needs to clean house and he has the staff to promote from within. They won't be a good coaching staff but how can they be worse? At the end of the season, Brad can really clean house. But right now this clown act has locked up the #1 pick in next year's draft. He can get 2 more first-round picks and additional picks in the second and third rounds with it. That will allow him to built up this team the right way over the next two years. That's why I think Holmes will simply ride the season out with the present clown car act.

BTW Campbell wasn't Holme's first choice for HC. In fact he was probably Brad's 3rd choice at best. This is why IMO he surrounded Campbell with Lynn and Capers both of whom are more qualified as HC and DC. But if the Lions get totally crushed by the Rams, and start giving up like the Giant's did Holmes might not have a choice about keeping Campbell.

DUDE CAN’T READ YOUR POST.FREAKING A PURE LIE!!!

I know you were a CHARGERS FAN so if you go back & look why Warner was no longer a Ram you would know it was the lack of protection.Talk about getting pummeled?
Then you want to talk about Justin Tuck & a Giants team under Spags.Bulger got beat up.

I always will rest his number 22

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Those are seriously awesome facts. I love animal facts like this; wild canines still acting like pack animals is very interesting to look at from an animal lover’s POV

Speaking about animals, hyenas. Neither cat nor dog, has the largest bite force in the animal kingdom, females control the group and have a pseudo-penis.

The more

Just not looking back how long ago was this posted? The lossing continues,and the following games his HC calls him out.
You can talk crap about The Rams defense all you want.They are still winning.Yes Cherry Picking since this statement I believe Gruden has been fired as well.
The fact Olsen is the OC & finally back to play calling the deep ball cameback into effect.I like Zac Robinson as a QB coach,but he also is always with Cooper Kupp this season.I think Stafford’s connection is more with Sean Mcvay from just observing games on tv.
Greg Olsen was probably The Best QB coach Goff has had.He has played for a lot of different OC’s & offenses which is never easy.

—Talk to me when Jared Goff wins a game though.Looks like he should beat the Eagles on Halloween.If not things will only get scarier.

—Plus I don’t know how much of a Jared Goff fan you are? We can talk about Cherry Picking.What I know is it is still a team game & I like this Rams team.I have always respected & liked Jared Goff.Got banned for a day because I said something about his Seahag Costume last season & suggested another one as well which wasn’t well received.Right around the Miami loss..
David Long gave up Tua’s first TD.Saw Tua lose to the Jags.The Rams only gave up 95 yards passing in that loss last year. Still I think Jared Goff is in the middle of Lawrence & Tua as a NFL QB in the next 3 years imo.
It is a team game. Besides Mcvay, what coaching put him in position to win. Besides under Mcvay, what team gave him good receivers. Besides Mcvay has he had good blocking in front of him. No other QB takes ALL the blame for team failures and none of credit for wins. I don't think he is playing well, but his team sucked his rookie year and it sucks now.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I, in no way, was suggesting that I would not want to have JJ and Hill on the Rams this year. However, it is notable that they are not elite players that can't be replaced. I also think that, in this year's scheme, Hill would likely be giving up a lot of completions, just as DWill and other Rams CBs (not named Ramsey) have been. JJ, I believe, would be making more of an impact, but you can't pay everyone.
Hill played the “star” very well and allowed them to keep Ramsey in coverage more… and was much better in coverage when they moved Ramsey into the “Star”.
JJ was just a solid all-around safety who could play well deep or shallow.
They made a difference.

Doesn’t mean the current unit won’t grow and improve, just means they lost two guys who are good and likely had career years.

I think Rapp can excel if used right… I’m just disappointed in Long, but maybe he recovers.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hill played the “star” very well and allowed them to keep Ramsey in coverage more… and was much better in coverage when they moved Ramsey into the “Star”.
JJ was just a solid all-around safety who could play well deep or shallow.
They made a difference.

Doesn’t mean the current unit won’t grow and improve, just means they lost two guys who are good and likely had career years.

I think Rapp can excel if used right… I’m just disappointed in Long, but maybe he recovers.
How good will Donte Deon be? He went from practice squad to starting CB and may be better than Long or Rochelle. They even tried to pick on him in the Giants game and he did well.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
How good will Donte Deon be? He went from practice squad to starting CB and may be better than Long or Rochelle. They even tried to pick on him in the Giants game and he did well.
He played well and always does.. the physical limitations are the ultimate issue. I think he’s fine until Williams gets back.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think the loss of JJ was more significant than we realized. And unfortuantely Darious Wiliams is night and day from last year. Why? IDK. Is it just scheme, you wouldn't think so. Hard to say. One thing many have said is that Rapp was just not in the right spots. Well, against the Giants he was in the box way more and what do you know, two INT's!
You'd like to think Morris can make adjustments and will. Hate to say it but the Cardinals are for real and we can't play like we did against them again. Otherwise we will be chasing them in the division all year.
Will they make anything happen before the trade dealine? IDK, I hope they do.
IT's crazy to think if we still had last years D and this O how freaking scary we would be.
The pass coverage just plain has to be better and so does the tackling. Too much talent to be playing so up and down, IMO
Long season still to go.