Demby, RG, and Upside

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFmSHjhLMFw

At 2:56 looks like Allen gets a shoulder on DT but then moves to block someone else. Was Demby supposed to pick him up or is this on Allen??

This was the play I was talking about with somebody in the gameday thread. I initially thought it was on Allen, but now I think it was actually on both of them. Seems to me after rewatching it that the guy he took on first may not have been his assignment, however I also think he had every opportunity to adjust if it was supposed to be picked up by Demby.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Guys am I wrong I keep asking for weisnewki to be brought in he plays guard and center with one leg he is better than demby why not just bring him in see if it's a fit. This team would feel a lot better with him on it and maybe a Marshall or bynes at inside linebacker. More complete more depth and it wouldn't effect our cap for next year. They probably both would take peanuts to play. Am I wrong is weisnewski not available? Would even help if god forbid whitworth got hurt noteboom could move to tackle weisnewski could step in at guard just not sure why not try him out.

Eagle fans I know say that Wisnewski is no longer agile or quick enough to play in the NFL.

Not talking about where one was drafted. This is about rushing to judge a player that has a whole 1 year experience.

I haven't formed an opinion either way about Demby yet...but I watched the game and what I've mostly read is overhype. The Rams rolled up 345 yards of offense but Demby did nothing right???

I can still remember all the talk about Saffold being a bust in St Louis too!
I was quite active on the Stl Today board and I remember lots of posts calling Saffold a bust and a waste, and wanting to trade him.

I recall most of the bust talk being centered on the fact that he was frequently injured. Even at OT he was a good player. He wasn't great at OT but when moved to guard, he shined. His shoulder trouble was due to having to reach out when making up for not being quick enough. A move to guard fixed that. It did with some other tackles in the league who weren't good enough. Andrus Peat comes to mind. The Cardinals had a first round tackle that ended up being a good guard.

I don't think we are seeing enough potential to think Demby will develop into a starting quality guard and if not where do you move him too? But of course we could be wrong. What matters now is his play now which isn't so good.

RamWoodie

Legend
I recall most of the bust talk being centered on the fact that he was frequently injured. Even at OT he was a good player. He wasn't great at OT but when moved to guard, he shined. His shoulder trouble was due to having to reach out when making up for not being quick enough. A move to guard fixed that. It did with some other tackles in the league who weren't good enough. Andrus Peat comes to mind. The Cardinals had a first round tackle that ended up being a good guard.

I don't think we are seeing enough potential to think Demby will develop into a starting quality guard and if not where ddo you move him too? But of course we could be wrong. What matters now is his play now which isn't so good.
Agreed. Except I think much of the criticism of Demby is over the top...and mainly because if the desire for the Oline to be much better.

I'm willing to wait and see if he can fit in and hold it down. I didn't get the chance to review the game last night, but I will at some time during the week because there are some who think Hav struggled in the game too and I thought he was solid...so I'll be looking at both Demby and Hav.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Agreed. Except I think much of the criticism of Demby is over the top...and mainly because if the desire for the Oline to be much better.

I'm willing to wait and see if he can fit in and hold it down. I didn't get the chance to review the game last night, but I will at some time during the week because there are some who think Hav struggled in the game too and I thought he was solid...so I'll be looking at both Demby and Hav.

Rob was one of the best Right Tackles in the game last year. Sure maybe some defensive linemen have picked up some weak points but overall I still think he's been playing pretty well. I remember when Richie Incognito had Adam Goldberg alongside of him. Richie suddenly seemed less affective too.

Not signing Saffold was a mistake. I hated to see him go and as many predicted it is a big loss. Center and Right Guard were already a question mark to some degree. Adding left OG to the mix left the team with only two highly performing returning players. Blythe was good all of last year, but his weaknesses were exposed in the Superbowl. Maybe he really benefited by having a savvy get like Sully on his left and Havenstein on his right. We won't really know until we see him come back and play more. But right now Noteboom is no Roger Saffold, Allen is performing admirably, and then you have Demby. The entire interior OLine has been downgraded in one season. It is one of the biggest problems with the offense.

I get that Kromer has developed some good players but this idea that you can build offensive lines later in the draft isn't true IMO. Saffold and Whitworth are both second round picks. If you have one dominant side then you can get away with lesser players elsewhere. Or even if there is a great OLT and ORG or Center it hides the warts of other players on the line. Right now they have Whitworth. And Havenstein but Everything in the middle is middling right now. Some good, some bad every game. Hopefully they can continue to improve but if they don't, then this playoff window will shut in a hurry. Meanwhile Goff is having to learn to be the QB he was the last two seasons, with less time to work with and trying to figure which plays to call when the defenses are making last second changes. Hopefully he can improve too, but if not, it won't be anything like last year. A bit more time in the pocket would help him a lot. So Demby being the weakest link probably looks even worse when all things are considered.

Ram65

Legend
Guys am I wrong I keep asking for weisnewki to be brought in he plays guard and center with one leg he is better than demby why not just bring him in see if it's a fit. This team would feel a lot better with him on it and maybe a Marshall or bynes at inside linebacker. More complete more depth and it wouldn't effect our cap for next year. They probably both would take peanuts to play. Am I wrong is weisnewski not available? Would even help if god forbid whitworth got hurt noteboom could move to tackle weisnewski could step in at guard just not sure why not try him out.

Eagle fans I know say that Wisnewski is no longer agile or quick enough to play in the NFL.

Eagles also have the worst OG in the league starting but, cut Weisnewski

He is toast.

Ram65

Legend
Roger was heady , but Demby is sooo slow at point of attack. Rams scored after Demby could not help Goff from the 1/2 yard line.Then a false start. Rams score, no biggie. Week 4 , will see when yeah day comes around again.

Allen got pulled into endzone and the DT went in a made the play
filling the gap.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I said it before the season started.

Our oline depth is terrible and we are going to pay.

2 games now Goff has played Houdini in the pocket and scrambled for his life to find WR’s.

People wonder what’s up with the offense.

This ain’t rocket science folks.
The way McVay put this offensive line together when he came here by keeping the good players, (Saffold, Havenstein) and adding experienced vets, (Whitworth and Sullivan) was actually an anomaly in putting together a good offensive line and not the norm.

The norm is closer to what we're doing now, (keeping a couple vets and replacing a couple of players with young drafted prospects) and should work because we have an extremely talented offensive line coach in Aaron Kromer.

Like I said before, as long as Goff doesn't get injured while these guys are gelling, (and they ARE gelling and learning every game) they should certainly be ready by playoff time.

Barring an abnormal amount of injuries of course, which we really haven't seen under McVay.

I'm not really worried.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The way McVay put this offensive line together when he came here by keeping the good players, (Saffold, Havenstein) and adding experienced vets, (Whitworth and Sullivan) was actually an anomaly in putting together a good offensive line and not the norm.

The norm is closer to what we're doing now, (keeping a couple vets and replacing a couple of players with young drafted prospects) and should work because we have an extremely talented offensive line coach in Aaron Kromer.

Like I said before, as long as Goff doesn't get injured while these guys are gelling, (and they ARE gelling and learning every game) they should certainly be ready by playoff time.

Barring an abnormal amount of injuries of course, which we really haven't seen under McVay.

I'm not really worried.

Noteboom has been playing really well. Actually seems like a Veteran already.Saffold though was playing at an all pro level. The question is after the season of Whitworth retiring.

Allen is only going to get better as well. He is handling the play calling nice. His head movement is aggressive before snaps. Very confident player.

Demby is a weak link, but he didn’t cost The Rams the game. Mcvay & Goff are struggling with there reads. The offense has been out of sink since the Super Bowl.

Almost seems like preseason. Glad the rookies & backups got so much experience.
Kromer is going to go with his best lineman.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
McVay hopeful to get Blythe back for Week 4

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – OL Austin Blythe (ankle) and TE Tyler Higbee (chest) remain day-to-day as the Rams get ready for their Week 4 home game against the Buccaneers, but Los Angeles head coach Sean McVay is hopeful that both of them will return this week.

"They're both making good progress," McVay said during his Monday evening press conference. "They'll still be day-to-day, but the anticipation and hope is they'll be able to play this week."
Blythe missed last Sunday's game at Cleveland after not participating in Wednesday and Thursday's practices, followed by limited participation on Friday. Higbee did not practice last week and was ruled out in the final injury report for week.

Jamil Demby started in Blythe's place at right guard against the Browns, while Gerald Everett assumed No. 1 tight end duties for Higbee.

McVay at the beginning of last week mentioned tackle Bobby Evans and center Coleman Shelton as potential next men up candidates for the 46-man active roster if Blythe wound up missing Sunday's game at Cleveland. While Shelton was active and Evans was not, Evans being inactive was not an indictment of anything he did wrong.

"It was really more along the lines of, because Austin also fills the backup center role, (we were) just looking for more of an interior presence," McVay said. "Bobby is a guy that is has continued to do a good job, and really Jamil did a nice job stepping in Austin's absence."

Those decisions are ones McVay said the coaching staff will continue to evaluate. At the same time, he reiterated his desire to get Blythe back in the fold.

"Hopefully we'll get Austin back and be able to go back to what was our consistent seven (active offensive linemen) that we had in those first couple of weeks, but those are things that we're always looking at," McVay said. Beyond the update on Blythe and Higbee, McVay had no additional injuries to report from L.A.'s most recent contest.

"We came away pretty clean," McVay said. "Nothing different than just the typical bumps and bruises, but guys are feeling good."

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay hopeful to get Blythe back for Week 4

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – OL Austin Blythe (ankle) and TE Tyler Higbee (chest) remain day-to-day as the Rams get ready for their Week 4 home game against the Buccaneers, but Los Angeles head coach Sean McVay is hopeful that both of them will return this week.

"They're both making good progress," McVay said during his Monday evening press conference. "They'll still be day-to-day, but the anticipation and hope is they'll be able to play this week."
Blythe missed last Sunday's game at Cleveland after not participating in Wednesday and Thursday's practices, followed by limited participation on Friday. Higbee did not practice last week and was ruled out in the final injury report for week.

Jamil Demby started in Blythe's place at right guard against the Browns, while Gerald Everett assumed No. 1 tight end duties for Higbee.

McVay at the beginning of last week mentioned tackle Bobby Evans and center Coleman Shelton as potential next men up candidates for the 46-man active roster if Blythe wound up missing Sunday's game at Cleveland. While Shelton was active and Evans was not, Evans being inactive was not an indictment of anything he did wrong.

"It was really more along the lines of, because Austin also fills the backup center role, (we were) just looking for more of an interior presence," McVay said. "Bobby is a guy that is has continued to do a good job, and really Jamil did a nice job stepping in Austin's absence."

Those decisions are ones McVay said the coaching staff will continue to evaluate. At the same time, he reiterated his desire to get Blythe back in the fold.

"Hopefully we'll get Austin back and be able to go back to what was our consistent seven (active offensive linemen) that we had in those first couple of weeks, but those are things that we're always looking at," McVay said. Beyond the update on Blythe and Higbee, McVay had no additional injuries to report from L.A.'s most recent contest.

"We came away pretty clean," McVay said. "Nothing different than just the typical bumps and bruises, but guys are feeling good."

Interesting Blythe might be back ? Demby gave up a sack with 5 minutes left in the 2nd qrt. — Greg the leg missed the FG

Funny - Eric Kush & Greg Robinson starting for Cleveland.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
For those that don't remember.

Saffold had a congenital defect in his shoulders making them weak...and for a monster of a man, they were destined to fail. After he had his one shoulder fixed, they KNEW his other shoulder would fail and soon and it did. There was even debate about fixing both at the same time and they ruled that out.

After he got them fixed, they were better than ever and he was a rock after that.

As well, while he had average feet for an OT, he has elite feet for an OG (which is probably why Kromer likes college OTs, because they have better feet). Couple that with his bionically repaired shoulders and for two years, Saffold was the best LG in the league.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting Blythe might be back ? Demby gave up a sack with 5 minutes left in the 2nd qrt. — Greg the leg missed the FG

I would not rush Austin Blythe back too early because of the on field performances of 1st yr Jamil Demby. It's obvious to me that Demby is a far weaker OG than Blythe ever was.

Considerations must be going through Snead's brain that a talented OG must be obtained early next draft. Of course, I am sure he is hoping that one of his contractual current OG's begins to develop much faster in the very near future. Kromer is earning his paycheck this season.

Browns having success with Rams OL castoffs is a new trend to see since the Rams in the past usually were last pits stops for most NFL OL'ers. GRob & Kush are indicators that OL'ers take LONGEST of time to get up to NFL speed as starters too.

Conclusion here
is we all knew that the Rams Achilles Heel was the interior OL. Its was a big gamble to go into this season with the extreme inexperienced interior OL cadre. The Rams made the decision to spend salary cap $$$ in other units instead. Goff will either have to step up or this offense will remain middle of the pack.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Demby didn't seem that terrible after his first few plays against NO.

Faint praise but justified.

I'm afraid we're in for less than stellar performance by this unit as 3/5's of it learns the dance and subtleties of an NFL OL. 5 vets may come together rapidly, but that's not what we have here. At best, I'd opine we don't see the (ave 33 pgm) offensive production of last season until late Nov, early Dec. If additional injuries should occur before then, it could take until next year. :unsure:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Has McVay considered starting Edwards at RG this week? Is he behind on the play calling or...? I felt Edwards was much stronger than Demby at RG during preseason.

I wish someone would prove me wrong, but Demby is going to get Goff hurt if he continues his sub-par play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Has McVay considered starting Edwards at RG this week? Is he behind on the play calling or...? I felt Edwards was much stronger than Demby at RG during preseason.

I wish someone would prove me wrong, but Demby is going to get Goff hurt if he continues his sub-par play.
He did improve last game. But you still see the negative impact in the game due to him being in there on multiple occasions which there's no way the staff wants to see. As McVay cracks the whip to get these guys rolling on offense it's hard to believe that he's not concerned with Demby in there. I'm sure he can't wait to get him out of there in fact.

I wanted Edwards to get a look too, but clearly the staff thinks Edwards would bring mistakes as well and they might be right. That's what I've settled into, that schematically he wasn't ready. But anyway, either way we should get Blythe back here soon. Never thought I'd look forward to Blythe returning the way I am right now. Probably what I deserve for giving him a hard time since he won the job lol.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Let's hope Demby will continue to improve in week #4. I would hope that Austin Blythe be ready to go in the important 9er game.

@Merlin ....I felt that OL David Edwards preseason performance @ LT/ RT/ LG play was much better than Demby. I saw Edwards play @ RG to be much weaker than the other 3 posts. I posted that very same comments @ the conclusion of preseason.

With Blythe out & Demby in I wonder which OL'er is now our back up 2nd team right OG? ....... Bobby Evans, David Edwards, Coleman Shelton, Chandler Brewer or Jeremiah Kolone?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's hope Demby will continue to improve in week #4. I would hope that Austin Blythe be ready to go in the important 9er game.

@Merlin ....I felt that OL David Edwards preseason performance @ LT/ RT/ LG play was much better than Demby. I saw Edwards play @ RG to be much weaker than the other 3 posts. I posted that very same comments @ the conclusion of preseason.

With Blythe out & Demby in I wonder which OL'er is now our back up 2nd team right OG? ....... Bobby Evans, David Edwards, Coleman Shelton, Chandler Brewer or Jeremiah Kolone?
I think you and I see it the same way re: Edwards. In terms of who our 2nd team right OG is, I think Blythe's return is going to prevent us from seeing if it's changed. So I'd have to say Dems until proven otherwise or until Kromer finds those dirty pictures he's being blackmailed with.
:p

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

I always liked Kush and I always hated Robinson.o_O:p

TexasRam

Legend
I went back and carefully watched the oline in the first 3 games this year. Reviewing each snap multple times to evaluate each player.

Here is what i came away with:

Allen- greatly improved from week 1. I was freaking out before the season that Allen wouldn’t cut it at this level. I was wrong. He’s improved each week and is so quick and assignment sound in the run game that he might have a pro bowl trajectory in his future. His pass pro was also really good in the Browns game, let’s see if he can do it again.

Noteboom- Right now he is as good a pass blocker as Saffold was, due to his quick feet and good technique. He just needs more time with learning how to get out and block his man on the Rb pitches, jet sweeps and generally how to get in position to block a LB at the second level. He is also not as strong as Saffold was so is way behind Saffold as a run blocker. probably kicks to LT next year so maybe a mute point.

Whitworth- Still Excellent. starting to struggle with the inside move from the DE, but still real good against the edge rush and in the run game due to perfect technique and positioning.

Blythe- Seriously, He is a phenom in my book. He consistently knows his assignment every play and uses perfect technique that it becomes a joy to watch him operate. Both in the run game and the pass game. He gets out in the run game so quickly and to the right guy in perfect position like every dam play. He doesn’t have great push or strength, we all know that but it usually doesn’t matter. it’s gettin to the right guy and walling him off and sustaining the block. And he does that well, almost every play. In the pass game he does this as well and often covers the trash or broken blocks of Hav or other stunts coming in the middle. Will Blythe get manhandled on occasion? yes it does happen, but it’s actually pretty rare. And PFF and other sites confirm that. The dropoff from Blythe to Demby is massive.

Demby- Demby right now is a huge problem. For those that said he looked ok against Cleveland, please go watch snap by snap. If I was Gurley or Goff I would be in Mcvays office on Monday like “ Look boss, Demby needs more time before he’s in an actual game”. Demby first off just doesn’t know the system well, he really looks lost in the run block game when he kicks out and try’s to find his assignment. But even if he got to the right man his technique is so bad he just can’t help out. He might eventually be a Pro Bowl guard for all i know and maybe he improved quickly with more time, but right now it’s offensive suicide. If he was holding his own in the pass game maybe, but right now that’s as bad as his run blocking. assignement and technique are bad. That’s not to mention the penalty’s. I’m rooting for Demby and maybe Kromer sees a future star, it’s possible. Allen has come a long way in 3 games. But right now Demby is killing the drives and a huge disruption of the flow of our offense. I’m not going to question Dembys effort because i don’t know why a player wouldn’t give full effort. But he does look like he gives half ass effort sometimes. I think that is due to uncertainty of his assignment or the fact that he wants to avoid a holding penalty and has such bad technique that he is unsure how to engage a blocker legally at this level.

Havenstein- Same as last year. A Monster in the run game and solid in pass pro except against elite pass rushers We need to acknowledge when he’s facing an Elite rusher and chip his side.

Everett- Needs work on his blocking technique. Is a liability as a blocker at this point in my opinion. Way behind Higbee at this point.

WR’s- These guys need to step up
their blocking in the run game. They got high praise last year but are whiffing on blocks way too much. Woodie and Kupp, love you guys but need to tighten up the technique and “want to” in run game.