Demby, RG, and Upside

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I said it before the season started.

Our oline depth is terrible and we are going to pay.

2 games now Goff has played Houdini in the pocket and scrambled for his life to find WR’s.

People wonder what’s up with the offense.

This ain’t rocket science folks.

RamWoodie

Legend
Demby was garbage in a lot of ways !! Maybe salvable though. Hope someone passes him up ?? If not at least attacks better.
Seems there's quite a difference of opinion on Demby's play. I'm glad I have GamePass because I can look at the game from the "coaches view" and see if I see the "garbage play" you did.

There's this guy that played for the Rams I remember getting roasted early on in his career like Demby is now...his name is Roger Saffold.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams are 3-0 with an interior OL that has just made 3 NFL starts for 2 of them, 1 start for the other. There have been issues, but mostly consistent play. All 3 are gaining experience, will be better then 2nd half of the season. Blythe looks to come back too.
Rams are 3-0 with an interior OL that has just made 3 NFL starts for 2 of them, 1 start for the other. There have been issues, but mostly consistent play. All 3 are gaining experience, will be better then 2nd half of the season. Blythe looks to come back too.

Depth ?? Who will step up ?? Could be for better or for worse ?? 3-0 is key for now.
Kitchen sure helped hand The Rams the game though last night.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Seems there's quite a difference of opinion on Demby's play. I'm glad I have GamePass because I can look at the game from the "coaches view" and see if I see the "garbage play" you did.

There's this guy that played for the Rams I remember getting roasted early on in his career like Demby is now...his name is Roger Saffold.

Roger was heady , but Demby is sooo slow at point of attack. Rams scored after Demby could not help Goff from the 1/2 yard line.Then a false start. Rams score, no biggie. Week 4 , will see when yeah day comes around again.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Demby played a good game tonight. The weak link was Havenstein. IMO Demby simply needs experience and practice with the first unit o-line. His inexperience showed at times but it's not like he was outmatched.

If Jamil plays one or two more weeks and continues to play well you have to wonder if Blythe gets his position back. Blythe is a FA at the end of the season.
OMG, did we see the same game? Havenstein was left on island with a no talent back up starting on his left..*smh

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not even in the same universe as Saffold. Saffold was like #33 in the draft was projected to be a guard and the Rams played him at LT out of desperation, and his shoulders couldn't hold up. He was looked down on because of these injuries, not because he plain sucked.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depth ?? Who will step up ?? Could be for better or for worse ?? 3-0 is key for now.
Kitchen sure helped hand The Rams the game though last night.

Who will step up? I expect the kids to improve a bit as they get experience. I expect Blythe back who will be an improvement over Demby, which will help Havenstein a bit. I expect Edwards to be getting more experience in practice until he's ready.

I don't think the line will be great this season - but I do expect it to become better than it has shown so far this season, remembering they have been playing top DLs to this point.

If the right OL falls to them, it wouldn't shock me if they drafted someone in 2020.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I remember the year Saffold first played LT... it looked like we might have found our LT of the future but then he didn't hold up there. Moved to RT - I think - when we got Robinson. Got injured there too.

Plugged in at guard after that where he became a revelation! Originally at RG then moved to LG to help Robinson out.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Who will step up? I expect the kids to improve a bit as they get experience.

Of course they will, but every team has that going on. We need an OL that's better than league avg. to be a perennial winner imo. Kromer might be great, but he's not a miracle worker. At some point you have to invest some capital, here instead of there if need be.

(I realize none of that contradicts what you were saying, btw.)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tomas... I disagree with the sentiment that we need to add first round talent to the line.

With OL most of the top guys go off the board due to polish and typically an ability to play on the edge. There are guys who are dominant on the interior and will go in round one but just as often you see teams go first round on the OL for one reason: they need a guy who can start quickly.

I think of the two tackles we drafted one of them at least will end up being a permanent fixture on the OL. Maybe both. So if a great talent slides to us in the draft take him. Otherwise take the best player or slide down and target your guy like we did with Rapp, and keep loading our OL pipeline midrounds.
I totally agree what is and has been argued as one of the best lines in the league and is continually up there is the Patriots. Their Oline right now? A 5th round LT, 3rd round LG, 6th round C, 4th round RG and 5th round RT. Coaching matters, it just seems some around here want to replace everybody after they have a bad game even when they go up against good players. It seems they're expected to win every play and that just doesn't happen in the NFL.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Demby struggled mightily in the game last night.

The guy seems to have no competitive drive to him at all.

The Goff fumble was Demby's guy getting through. After the fumble and the subsequent roll around and recover by the Browns, Demby just stood there looking aloof.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course they will, but every team has that going on. We need an OL that's better than league avg. to be a perennial winner imo. Kromer might be great, but he's not a miracle worker. At some point you have to invest some capital, here instead of there if need be.

(I realize none of that contradicts what you were saying, btw.)

Well, I do think that the level of improvement will be faster than average - because they have three players with relatively little experience so the addition of experience will help them more than it would for players who have gotten significant playing time in the past. In addition, I do strongly suspect that the Rams have an excellent coach for their OL, which should help them improve faster.

That being said, as I've said elsewhere, I do think they will be trying to upgrade some weak parts (RG, anybody?) either through a relatively high pick or a vet signing this offseason. Not a lot can be done for 2019, unfortunately.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I remember the year Saffold first played LT... it looked like we might have found our LT of the future but then he didn't hold up there. Moved to RT - I think - when we got Robinson. Got injured there too.

Plugged in at guard after that where he became a revelation! Originally at RG then moved to LG to help Robinson out.

Looking back ?? Didn’t he start at Lg next to Orlando Pace ?? Maybe it was Jake Long & he had to move over to LT ?

Drawing blanks now & to lazy to look it up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Demby is terrible. If he is the best backup at guard and center then the Rams have a big problem on their hands.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Guys am I wrong I keep asking for weisnewki to be brought in he plays guard and center with one leg he is better than demby why not just bring him in see if it's a fit. This team would feel a lot better with him on it and maybe a Marshall or bynes at inside linebacker. More complete more depth and it wouldn't effect our cap for next year. They probably both would take peanuts to play. Am I wrong is weisnewski not available? Would even help if god forbid whitworth got hurt noteboom could move to tackle weisnewski could step in at guard just not sure why not try him out.

RamWoodie

Legend
Not even in the same universe as Saffold. Saffold was like #33 in the draft was projected to be a guard and the Rams played him at LT out of desperation, and his shoulders couldn't hold up. He was looked down on because of these injuries, not because he plain sucked.
Not talking about where one was drafted. This is about rushing to judge a player that has a whole 1 year experience.

I haven't formed an opinion either way about Demby yet...but I watched the game and what I've mostly read is overhype. The Rams rolled up 345 yards of offense but Demby did nothing right???

I can still remember all the talk about Saffold being a bust in St Louis too!

RamWoodie

Legend
I was quite active on the Stl Today board and I remember lots of posts calling Saffold a bust and a waste, and wanting to trade him.