Demby, RG, and Upside

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In one of McVey's press conferences, when talking about Demby, he said, "If Jamil is still in there" or something like that. He seemed to correct himself and say " when Austin is back" just after. I instantly thought they are considering Edwards at RG.

If the Browns coaches identify Demby as a weak link, then he's libel to get Goff killed by a Myles Garrett full weight body slam. That would really suck for everyone.
I might see rookie David Edwards being consider'd @ Let OG but not RG. Kromer has four other Ram OG's under contract i.e Coleman Shelton, Bobby Evans, Jeremiah Kolone & Chandler Brewer, so there's no telling who he may have been thinking of.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Cracks in the Rams Offensive Line Are Starting to Show

The number of pressures allowed by the Rams offensive line, as charted by PFF...36. That’s the highest in the league, seven more than Carolina and Cincinnati, who are tied for second most. This offseason, the Rams declined to re-sign center John Sullivan and let Rodger Saffold go to the Titans in free agency. Right guard Austin Blythe suffered an ankle injury on Sunday against the Saints and is listed as day to day. The Rams currently rank 30th in pass blocking by PFF.

6.0 percent: Jared Goff’s deep-ball percentage, according to PFF. That’s the second-lowest in the league behind only … Joe Flacco. The reasoning for this low number isn’t hard to figure out: Worse protection in the pocket means less time to set up deep opportunities. Goff has been under pressure on 43.8 percent of his dropbacks, the fourth-highest mark in the league. That’s well up from 32.0 percent last year, which was 26th among qualifying passers.

Goff’s completion percentage (62.7 percent) is also 6.7 percentage points lower than expected (69.4), according to Next Gen Stats. He’s 27th in ESPN’s QBR. This all fits with a long-standing trend of Goff being far better—even compared to other QBs—when he’s kept clean versus when he’s under pressure. If the Rams can’t protect him, it could mean trouble.

5.60: The Rams’ adjusted line yards, according to Football Outsiders. That’s the second-highest mark in the league behind the Giants (6.11). So at least L.A. can rest assured that the team’s run-blocking is still elite.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Demby didn't seem that terrible after his first few plays against NO.

IDK Counselor, IMO, it was checkered at best. Demby seemed to struggle with someone right over him and on running plays, he lacks the punch on initial contact and gives up after the first block. I am very concerned against the Browns, who have an excellent defensive line.

Demby is better at run blocking than pass blocking, but @Merlin is on point, the greatest asset of Jamil Demby is from the neck up and Kromer trusts that he'll know his assignment and that goes along way, but I truly believe you could see Edwards replacing him against the Browns because of pass protection.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This courtesy of RFL off the Herd Board and he watched every play....

Resisting the Demby Narrative

I feel as if I am living in an alternative universe with this Demby thing. A narrative is settling in not just on this board but in the press and even, apparently, in coach and team comments. But when I look at the tape, I see a completely different reality.

The narrative is that Demby is a noble back up who stepped in during an emergency, struggled at first, and then “settled down,” contributing to an offense that kept chugging along. Vinnie B., whom I respect in general, just posted a puff piece on him, although I notice that he really didn’t say anything about how Demby actually played.

What I see when I actually look at him out there is bush league incompetence mixed with lack of effort. I mean, this guy is going to get Goff killed. So, I’m sorry. I’m going to go full-on RFL on this sucker and push back. I doubt it’ll do much good, but there’s some, like, evidence out there.

If you don’t like long-form pieces, stop reading. If you don’t want to hear about a serious weakness threatening to short-circuit our offense and hurt our QB, click out of this post. If you are committed to a positive Demby narrative, this stuff is not for you.

Hey, the coaches are backing Demby. Don’t you think they know better than you do?

I always hate this gambit. Of course it is abundantly clear past any question that McV and Kromer and the team itself know vastly more than I do about football and about what is specifically going on. If, for you, that concession cancels out what a fellow fan SEES, well, I’ll see you in other threads.

You know, people only seem to use the “coaches know better than you” shtick when the coaches back their viewpoint. As soon as the coaches do or say something they don’t like, people suddenly feel authorized to put their feet to the fire.

Look. McV is a fine leader. He is not exactly a Delphic oracle at the podium or on the record. He has his own brand of coach speak and he is way too savvy to speak frankly about a backup who struggled when pressed into service.

Still, McV and Kromer did pick Demby over others for the roster, the game roster, and the 6th man for the OL. I can’t really figure out why, although I have a couple of suspicions to mention later. Yet these choices do say something. McV, Snead, and Kromer do have a pretty good track record on these decisions, and they see the guys in practice, the weight room, lecture halls, and PrS games. They DO know a lot more about Demby than I do.

However, even a guy with a track record of player development like Kromer’s is not foolproof. No one is. And I can easily imagine a guy who has developed limited athletes beginning to over-trust his theories and think he can develop a guy who really doesn’t have it. I mean I dunno. Maybe this, maybe that.

What I do know is what I SEE on the bleeding field. I SEE a guy who just cannot physically do what he needs to do. Not just on a couple of plays, but throughout games. I see his breakdowns fouling up plays and getting Goff hit a lot more than I like. Those are realities, and coach-speak doesn’t wipe them away.

The Tale of the Tape: Pass Blocking

Demby enters the game at 6:45 of the 2nd quarter. 2nd and 20, ball on the 24. On the first play, Goff tosses to Malcolm away from Demby. We did a lot of that, and indeed much of the success of the offense, run and pass, was predicated on going away from Demby.

Demby’s 2nd play … well, that was from a NO perspective “the play”: the pick/slash fumble that “cost them a TD.” It’s 3rd and 7 on the 11. We’re in a shotgun with Brown, slot left and double wide right. NO are very widelky spread out. There’s a stack—Nose and ILB—over Allen and the Des are wide—our OGs and Ts are uncovered. NO rushes 4, including the 2 in a stack.

Now, the nose shades left and the LB approaches Allen and Demby. He hits mainly into Allen and the Nose stunts into Demby. Initially, the two square off, but then the LB pushes back to Demby’s inside. Demby simply lets him go. Fumble. Blown call. NO outrage.

So this is Demby’s 2nd play. According to the narrative, it’s one of his “rough start” moments before settling in. But, I want to pause here to say some words about OL play.

We run the zone blocking game which reduces the degree to which an OL is required to master the defender physically. The OL works as a coordinated unit, using movement to string out the defense and then seal defenders off, leaving running or passing lanes. This is why individual OL play can be hard to assess, since they aren’t necessarily asked to blow a guy off the ball and it isn’t always clear what their responsibilities are. Lateral movement also tends to pull DL/LBs along so they move down the line more than penetrating. In this coordinated dance, OL with perhaps limited talent can learn to fit into the synchronicity and serve as effective screens. Blythe and Hav are good examples.

However. No matter how much lateral motion you can manage, DL/LBs do fairly frequently penetrate up-field. Even in a zone scheme, an OL must be able to handle penetration. When people talk about that, they often think of footwork, and it is obvious when an OL simply can’t keep up with a rusher’s feet.

What people don’t think about is the physical encounter. It is key to understanding why I am so down on Demby. In this play, he did not hesitate from indecision. He didn’t fail to take on his man out of confusion. The nose didn’t leave him in the dust with footwork. The initial stick is solid and, for a split second, Demby has the guy squared up. Then, just as fast, he loses him. Why? For 2 telling reasons.

In the initial contact, a pass blocking OL must do two things. First, he has to deliver a blow—they call it “punch”—that stands the guy up and takes away his momentum. Second, he has to maintain an effectively wide base, not just with footwork but with the upper body, to keep the rusher from simply running through the shoulders. He has to keep the guy, shall we say, inside his pads, at least for a second or so.

Poor OL can’t do both and may do neither. IMO, this is the case with Demby. He gets squared up on the guy, but doesn’t slow him down and then his left side completely collapses and the guy goes through his left pad like a crowd through a turnstile. Even after a time consuming stunt and that moment of initial contact, the nose gets freely into Goff and causes the fumble.

2 plays. Directly responsible for a fumble, a should-have-been TD the other way, and a hit on our prize QB’s arm that could easily have been as devastating as the one on Brees.

Oh, yeah, but everyone acknowledges he had a rough start. But then, apparently, he settled down.

“Settled down”—that magic phrase that seems to absolve his struggles. But did he settle down? I see no evidence that he did. Here are some plays from later in the game.

2nd Q, 0:14, 3 and 3, NO 4: Demby again faces the stack over C. The LB blitzes to his outside shoulder. OK, that’s to Demby’s advantage: he has inside position and his first contact is into the shoulder of a LB turned awkwardly away from his route to the QB. He ought to be fine. But, as if Demby isn’t there, the LB runs around him the long way, to the outside, and rushes Goff’s throw. Demby basically whiffs.

3rd Q, 15:00, 1 and 10, Ram 25. Rams empty with 5 wide. Demby faces a tackle on Hav’s inside shoulder. The tackle completely whips him to the inside and gets in on Goof, who is also hit by NB’s man. Goff just barely gets the pass off.

3rd Q, 14:54, 3 and 10, Ram 25. Rams in the gun with TG, 4 wide. Demby completely uncovered. The nose slants to Allen’s right. Allen decides to try to help NB, who is totally whipped, and Demby tries to block down on the nose. Demby stands up, pushes on the guy’s shoulder pad, moving him a bit, and then just watches as the guy goes past and in on Goff who somehow manages to hit TG for a near 1 down.

3rd Q, 9:23, 2 and 7, Ram 43. Rams in the I with TG, tight bunch right. A rare case of a decent pass block by Demby, who is covered by a DT. The DT initially moves laterally to the outside, then comes back, laterally, to the right. Demby stays with him—his footwork may be his best asset. Kupp makes a catch for 27 and Demby is visibly excited. But in a sense this play proves my point. He handles lateral movement, but the DT never really attacks him up the field. That’s where his problem is.

3rd Q, 8:41, 1 and 10, NO 30. The next freaking play! Rams in an I with bunch tight right, flanker in motion. NO: straight 4/3 with Demby covered. Let me say that again: DEMBY IS COVERED, WITH A DT ON HIS HEAD. RIGHT THERE! So when Goff drops back, what does our hero do? He freaking ABANDONS the DT and wanders off to the right to help Hav. The DT runs hard into TG stepping up, knocks him back, and rushes Goff. And by the way, attempting a double team with Hav, Demby doesn’t get there either. The DE gets there about the same time as the DT. And Demby stands there, letting the play go by him.

3rd Q, 8:34, 2 and 20on the NO 40. After the successive false starts by other people. Rams empty, 3 wide right, 2 wide left. NO in ¾ with Demby covered. It’s a flanker screen to Demby’s right. He happily lets the DT rush (you’re supposed to chip a bit) and goes up-field. Woods is cutting up to his right and Demby sees 2 LBs in front of him, both with possible shots at Woods. Hav is trying to get a block, but Demby is apparently disinterested. He turns upfield and scoots along, completing the play by tripping over a fallen DB. Like, maybe try a bit? Show you’re interested?

4th Q, 9:31. 3 and 2, Ram 33. Were you as excited for this play, Kupp’s long bomb, as I was? Well, it almost didn’t happen.

Rams are trips left, slot right. NO has a nose on Allen and then wide gaps, leaving Demby uncovered. The DE is standing outside Hav and steps over toward Demby, who leans an awkward right shoulder out there, his head turning away. Demby gets no punch at all, the DE goes through that weak base, and gets within 6 inches of Goff’s arm as he releases the ball. Horrific pass blocking but superb QBing.

Demby does have a couple of decent pass blocking efforts to go with his multiple failures. I count, maybe 3?

Tale of the Tape: Run Blocking

So what of run blocking? Well, the pattern holds. When he can move laterally with a mirroring DL/DB, he can be, uh, non-disastrous. And it needs to be pointed out that the somewhat more successful Ram rushing attack that has people saying that Demby “settled down” was almost always lateral, with stretch blocking along the line. Most of the time, they simply ran away from him. However, when he had to take a penetrating DB/LB on physically, the results were not good.

2nd Q, 2:39. 1 and 10 after the hold on 4th down. NO 48 yard line. Rams: bunch tight right. Counter toss right to Gurley who gets the corner for 20 yards. Demby does OK here, fitting our pattern. The play is out around him. He stretches right and the DT mirrors him. Demby’s feet are OK and the 2 neutralize each other. He doesn’t really contribute to the play, but move him laterally and he can hold his own some. As long as that DL doesn’t turn upfield on him.

2nd Q, 1:18. 1 and 10, NO 11. This is where McV critics say, “Why didn’t you pound Gurley?” Well, he tries. Tight slot left, tight bunch right. NO in a standard 4/3. The play is a toss right which gains only 3. Now, Demby is covered directly. In the zone blocking scheme, however, he steps past the DT, leaving him to Allen. He lines up the LB, but is slow and the guy runs through his reach—and through Woods, gamely trying—and his LB makes the tackle in inside-out pursuit. Again, a physically penetrating defender blows right through him.

3rd Q, 7:06, 1 and goal, NO 8. Rams in I, 2 wide left, TE and tight flanker right. NO in 4/3 with a DT in the C/G gap to Demby’s side. TG dives over LG. Allen doubles down left, so Demby must handle that DT inside him. 99 runs right through his inside shoulder and gets upfield, forcing TG back to the right where the pursuit swallows him up for a loss. Demby, who can’t handle the guy physically, could have created a seam with a decent block. He didn’t.

3rd Q, 3:37. 1 and 10, NO 26. Right after the Natson return. Goff tosses left to Brown, away from Demby, who slides along laterally matching the mirroring DT. Then Brown cuts way back inside Demby, who suddenly finds himself in a target-rich environment. He makes a half-hearted effort to screen off the over-pursuing DL, but turns quickly away, too late to try to help on the pursuit guys who get Brown. He does manage to pump his fists in celebration after Brown gets 11 without his help.

3rd Q, 3:20. 1 and 10, NO 15. Rams in an I, split L, TE right with a slot outside and the flanker in motion to left side. This pulls LBs in the NO 4/3 to the left of center. 2 defenders to the right—DE and DT on Demby’s head. The play is a stretch draw right. Demby stretches with the DT and has his typical half second of contact, only to lose the DT to the outside. The DT reads Browns cut back to the middle. At this point, after over-committing to the outside, he SHOULD have been sealed off by the OG. But Demby has decided he has done his duty and quits on the play. The DT is able to cut back, unopposed, and tackle Brown.

Let me wrap up this sad list of gaffes with a moment that just captures who I think Demby is. 3 Q, 9:33, Ram 44. The play is a toss left to TG, who gains 5. Demby is on the backside of the play, essentially irrelevant. He and the DT move laterally play-side, and the DT cuts upfield, outside but easily around him—no real resistance from Demby—and in pursuit. The play is long gone, both guys out of it. But Demby finds himself with his back to the DT, sensing the guy moving. For half a second, he apparently thinks he is boxing out for a rebound in basketball, and he gives this sadly hilarious little bump with his butt, back into air. That’s his idea of OL play. Wander into a spot and act like a screen. Don’t really hit anybody. Just waggle your butt and hope it knocks someone who may or may not still be there off course.

Final Assessment

So why do the Rams keep Demby on the roster and turn to him when an OG goes down? I mean, I really don’t know. However, I can see one asset: he has good, quick feet. He does not get beat because he can’t keep up. Also, he has a little experience and may have a decent grasp of the offense and what Kromer wants him to do.

Good feet? Sounds encouraging. But I have three major problems with Demby.

1. Pattern: the pattern of lousy play seems to me to be overwhelming. Lots and lots of weak efforts and collapses. Some anonymous plays in which he did little one way or another, but very few decisive contribution to successful plays.
  2. Weakness: physically, he is overmatched in contact. He has little punch and cannot sustain blocks because he lacks that wide base.
  3. Attitude: he just does not show evidence of wanting to get in the fight. He frequently wanders around, avoiding the action, even when it is right in front of him. He does, however, like to cheerlead for good plays made by other guys!

And see these issues are not related to experience or nerves or rhythm. I saw ZERO evidence of a “settling down” effect. I see a guy who is underpowered and under-motivated. I’ve never seen such a guy flourish—I’ve seen scores fail. I will be shocked if Demby ever makes it to league-average capability.

Sadly, Demby was not alone in his poor performance. As I watched Demby, NB and Hav often showed up in the stinker column as well. I still need to do a long look at NB and Allen (I like him in general). Overall, our OL is simply not a strength and may be emerging as a liability.

What saves us is the really clever zone blocking scheme. If there was any “settling down,” it was, as far as I can see, far more a matter of McV and Kromer moving the game laterally, stretch runs and tosses, QB half rolls, bootlegs. They keep forcing the defense to move laterally, creating chances for seams to open. And don’t forget Goff, who repeatedly made plays under huge pressure. Demby had a lousy game, but the coaches and QB managed to minimize the damage he did and take our eyes off his lousy pass blocking.

But how long can clever blocking schemes support a weak and/or green OL? See, I like Goff. I want to see him remain healthy. I am not a big fan of Blythe, but he could manage adequate. With Demby in there? Man, I figure we’ll be seeing Bortles fairly soon and Goff’s career could be on the line. One hit to the knees …

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I might see rookie David Edwards being consider'd @ Let OG but not RG. Kromer has four other Ram OG's under contract i.e Coleman Shelton, Bobby Evans, Jeremiah Kolone & Chandler Brewer, so there's no telling who he may have been thinking of.

Yeah but he likes backups to be able to play several positions. I’d vote for Edwards, but if he is not an option, then I vote for Brewer.

fearsomefour

Legend
They might want to keep Demby in his Swiss Army knife role. No one else has been cross trained to the extent he has. It would seem to make more sense to roll out Coleman Shelton at RG until Blythe returns. If Demby is starting at RG who takes his place as all everything backup?
The rookie T with Demby at back up C.

fearsomefour

Legend
This courtesy of RFL off the Herd Board and he watched every play....

Resisting the Demby Narrative

I feel as if I am living in an alternative universe with this Demby thing. A narrative is settling in not just on this board but in the press and even, apparently, in coach and team comments. But when I look at the tape, I see a completely different reality.

The narrative is that Demby is a noble back up who stepped in during an emergency, struggled at first, and then “settled down,” contributing to an offense that kept chugging along. Vinnie B., whom I respect in general, just posted a puff piece on him, although I notice that he really didn’t say anything about how Demby actually played.

What I see when I actually look at him out there is bush league incompetence mixed with lack of effort. I mean, this guy is going to get Goff killed. So, I’m sorry. I’m going to go full-on RFL on this sucker and push back. I doubt it’ll do much good, but there’s some, like, evidence out there.

If you don’t like long-form pieces, stop reading. If you don’t want to hear about a serious weakness threatening to short-circuit our offense and hurt our QB, click out of this post. If you are committed to a positive Demby narrative, this stuff is not for you.

Hey, the coaches are backing Demby. Don’t you think they know better than you do?

I always hate this gambit. Of course it is abundantly clear past any question that McV and Kromer and the team itself know vastly more than I do about football and about what is specifically going on. If, for you, that concession cancels out what a fellow fan SEES, well, I’ll see you in other threads.

You know, people only seem to use the “coaches know better than you” shtick when the coaches back their viewpoint. As soon as the coaches do or say something they don’t like, people suddenly feel authorized to put their feet to the fire.

Look. McV is a fine leader. He is not exactly a Delphic oracle at the podium or on the record. He has his own brand of coach speak and he is way too savvy to speak frankly about a backup who struggled when pressed into service.

Still, McV and Kromer did pick Demby over others for the roster, the game roster, and the 6th man for the OL. I can’t really figure out why, although I have a couple of suspicions to mention later. Yet these choices do say something. McV, Snead, and Kromer do have a pretty good track record on these decisions, and they see the guys in practice, the weight room, lecture halls, and PrS games. They DO know a lot more about Demby than I do.

However, even a guy with a track record of player development like Kromer’s is not foolproof. No one is. And I can easily imagine a guy who has developed limited athletes beginning to over-trust his theories and think he can develop a guy who really doesn’t have it. I mean I dunno. Maybe this, maybe that.

What I do know is what I SEE on the bleeding field. I SEE a guy who just cannot physically do what he needs to do. Not just on a couple of plays, but throughout games. I see his breakdowns fouling up plays and getting Goff hit a lot more than I like. Those are realities, and coach-speak doesn’t wipe them away.

The Tale of the Tape: Pass Blocking

Demby enters the game at 6:45 of the 2nd quarter. 2nd and 20, ball on the 24. On the first play, Goff tosses to Malcolm away from Demby. We did a lot of that, and indeed much of the success of the offense, run and pass, was predicated on going away from Demby.

Demby’s 2nd play … well, that was from a NO perspective “the play”: the pick/slash fumble that “cost them a TD.” It’s 3rd and 7 on the 11. We’re in a shotgun with Brown, slot left and double wide right. NO are very widelky spread out. There’s a stack—Nose and ILB—over Allen and the Des are wide—our OGs and Ts are uncovered. NO rushes 4, including the 2 in a stack.

Now, the nose shades left and the LB approaches Allen and Demby. He hits mainly into Allen and the Nose stunts into Demby. Initially, the two square off, but then the LB pushes back to Demby’s inside. Demby simply lets him go. Fumble. Blown call. NO outrage.

So this is Demby’s 2nd play. According to the narrative, it’s one of his “rough start” moments before settling in. But, I want to pause here to say some words about OL play.

We run the zone blocking game which reduces the degree to which an OL is required to master the defender physically. The OL works as a coordinated unit, using movement to string out the defense and then seal defenders off, leaving running or passing lanes. This is why individual OL play can be hard to assess, since they aren’t necessarily asked to blow a guy off the ball and it isn’t always clear what their responsibilities are. Lateral movement also tends to pull DL/LBs along so they move down the line more than penetrating. In this coordinated dance, OL with perhaps limited talent can learn to fit into the synchronicity and serve as effective screens. Blythe and Hav are good examples.

However. No matter how much lateral motion you can manage, DL/LBs do fairly frequently penetrate up-field. Even in a zone scheme, an OL must be able to handle penetration. When people talk about that, they often think of footwork, and it is obvious when an OL simply can’t keep up with a rusher’s feet.

What people don’t think about is the physical encounter. It is key to understanding why I am so down on Demby. In this play, he did not hesitate from indecision. He didn’t fail to take on his man out of confusion. The nose didn’t leave him in the dust with footwork. The initial stick is solid and, for a split second, Demby has the guy squared up. Then, just as fast, he loses him. Why? For 2 telling reasons.

In the initial contact, a pass blocking OL must do two things. First, he has to deliver a blow—they call it “punch”—that stands the guy up and takes away his momentum. Second, he has to maintain an effectively wide base, not just with footwork but with the upper body, to keep the rusher from simply running through the shoulders. He has to keep the guy, shall we say, inside his pads, at least for a second or so.

Poor OL can’t do both and may do neither. IMO, this is the case with Demby. He gets squared up on the guy, but doesn’t slow him down and then his left side completely collapses and the guy goes through his left pad like a crowd through a turnstile. Even after a time consuming stunt and that moment of initial contact, the nose gets freely into Goff and causes the fumble.

2 plays. Directly responsible for a fumble, a should-have-been TD the other way, and a hit on our prize QB’s arm that could easily have been as devastating as the one on Brees.

Oh, yeah, but everyone acknowledges he had a rough start. But then, apparently, he settled down.

“Settled down”—that magic phrase that seems to absolve his struggles. But did he settle down? I see no evidence that he did. Here are some plays from later in the game.

2nd Q, 0:14, 3 and 3, NO 4: Demby again faces the stack over C. The LB blitzes to his outside shoulder. OK, that’s to Demby’s advantage: he has inside position and his first contact is into the shoulder of a LB turned awkwardly away from his route to the QB. He ought to be fine. But, as if Demby isn’t there, the LB runs around him the long way, to the outside, and rushes Goff’s throw. Demby basically whiffs.

3rd Q, 15:00, 1 and 10, Ram 25. Rams empty with 5 wide. Demby faces a tackle on Hav’s inside shoulder. The tackle completely whips him to the inside and gets in on Goof, who is also hit by NB’s man. Goff just barely gets the pass off.

3rd Q, 14:54, 3 and 10, Ram 25. Rams in the gun with TG, 4 wide. Demby completely uncovered. The nose slants to Allen’s right. Allen decides to try to help NB, who is totally whipped, and Demby tries to block down on the nose. Demby stands up, pushes on the guy’s shoulder pad, moving him a bit, and then just watches as the guy goes past and in on Goff who somehow manages to hit TG for a near 1 down.

3rd Q, 9:23, 2 and 7, Ram 43. Rams in the I with TG, tight bunch right. A rare case of a decent pass block by Demby, who is covered by a DT. The DT initially moves laterally to the outside, then comes back, laterally, to the right. Demby stays with him—his footwork may be his best asset. Kupp makes a catch for 27 and Demby is visibly excited. But in a sense this play proves my point. He handles lateral movement, but the DT never really attacks him up the field. That’s where his problem is.

3rd Q, 8:41, 1 and 10, NO 30. The next freaking play! Rams in an I with bunch tight right, flanker in motion. NO: straight 4/3 with Demby covered. Let me say that again: DEMBY IS COVERED, WITH A DT ON HIS HEAD. RIGHT THERE! So when Goff drops back, what does our hero do? He freaking ABANDONS the DT and wanders off to the right to help Hav. The DT runs hard into TG stepping up, knocks him back, and rushes Goff. And by the way, attempting a double team with Hav, Demby doesn’t get there either. The DE gets there about the same time as the DT. And Demby stands there, letting the play go by him.

3rd Q, 8:34, 2 and 20on the NO 40. After the successive false starts by other people. Rams empty, 3 wide right, 2 wide left. NO in ¾ with Demby covered. It’s a flanker screen to Demby’s right. He happily lets the DT rush (you’re supposed to chip a bit) and goes up-field. Woods is cutting up to his right and Demby sees 2 LBs in front of him, both with possible shots at Woods. Hav is trying to get a block, but Demby is apparently disinterested. He turns upfield and scoots along, completing the play by tripping over a fallen DB. Like, maybe try a bit? Show you’re interested?

4th Q, 9:31. 3 and 2, Ram 33. Were you as excited for this play, Kupp’s long bomb, as I was? Well, it almost didn’t happen.

Rams are trips left, slot right. NO has a nose on Allen and then wide gaps, leaving Demby uncovered. The DE is standing outside Hav and steps over toward Demby, who leans an awkward right shoulder out there, his head turning away. Demby gets no punch at all, the DE goes through that weak base, and gets within 6 inches of Goff’s arm as he releases the ball. Horrific pass blocking but superb QBing.

Demby does have a couple of decent pass blocking efforts to go with his multiple failures. I count, maybe 3?

Tale of the Tape: Run Blocking

So what of run blocking? Well, the pattern holds. When he can move laterally with a mirroring DL/DB, he can be, uh, non-disastrous. And it needs to be pointed out that the somewhat more successful Ram rushing attack that has people saying that Demby “settled down” was almost always lateral, with stretch blocking along the line. Most of the time, they simply ran away from him. However, when he had to take a penetrating DB/LB on physically, the results were not good.

2nd Q, 2:39. 1 and 10 after the hold on 4th down. NO 48 yard line. Rams: bunch tight right. Counter toss right to Gurley who gets the corner for 20 yards. Demby does OK here, fitting our pattern. The play is out around him. He stretches right and the DT mirrors him. Demby’s feet are OK and the 2 neutralize each other. He doesn’t really contribute to the play, but move him laterally and he can hold his own some. As long as that DL doesn’t turn upfield on him.

2nd Q, 1:18. 1 and 10, NO 11. This is where McV critics say, “Why didn’t you pound Gurley?” Well, he tries. Tight slot left, tight bunch right. NO in a standard 4/3. The play is a toss right which gains only 3. Now, Demby is covered directly. In the zone blocking scheme, however, he steps past the DT, leaving him to Allen. He lines up the LB, but is slow and the guy runs through his reach—and through Woods, gamely trying—and his LB makes the tackle in inside-out pursuit. Again, a physically penetrating defender blows right through him.

3rd Q, 7:06, 1 and goal, NO 8. Rams in I, 2 wide left, TE and tight flanker right. NO in 4/3 with a DT in the C/G gap to Demby’s side. TG dives over LG. Allen doubles down left, so Demby must handle that DT inside him. 99 runs right through his inside shoulder and gets upfield, forcing TG back to the right where the pursuit swallows him up for a loss. Demby, who can’t handle the guy physically, could have created a seam with a decent block. He didn’t.

3rd Q, 3:37. 1 and 10, NO 26. Right after the Natson return. Goff tosses left to Brown, away from Demby, who slides along laterally matching the mirroring DT. Then Brown cuts way back inside Demby, who suddenly finds himself in a target-rich environment. He makes a half-hearted effort to screen off the over-pursuing DL, but turns quickly away, too late to try to help on the pursuit guys who get Brown. He does manage to pump his fists in celebration after Brown gets 11 without his help.

3rd Q, 3:20. 1 and 10, NO 15. Rams in an I, split L, TE right with a slot outside and the flanker in motion to left side. This pulls LBs in the NO 4/3 to the left of center. 2 defenders to the right—DE and DT on Demby’s head. The play is a stretch draw right. Demby stretches with the DT and has his typical half second of contact, only to lose the DT to the outside. The DT reads Browns cut back to the middle. At this point, after over-committing to the outside, he SHOULD have been sealed off by the OG. But Demby has decided he has done his duty and quits on the play. The DT is able to cut back, unopposed, and tackle Brown.

Let me wrap up this sad list of gaffes with a moment that just captures who I think Demby is. 3 Q, 9:33, Ram 44. The play is a toss left to TG, who gains 5. Demby is on the backside of the play, essentially irrelevant. He and the DT move laterally play-side, and the DT cuts upfield, outside but easily around him—no real resistance from Demby—and in pursuit. The play is long gone, both guys out of it. But Demby finds himself with his back to the DT, sensing the guy moving. For half a second, he apparently thinks he is boxing out for a rebound in basketball, and he gives this sadly hilarious little bump with his butt, back into air. That’s his idea of OL play. Wander into a spot and act like a screen. Don’t really hit anybody. Just waggle your butt and hope it knocks someone who may or may not still be there off course.

Final Assessment

So why do the Rams keep Demby on the roster and turn to him when an OG goes down? I mean, I really don’t know. However, I can see one asset: he has good, quick feet. He does not get beat because he can’t keep up. Also, he has a little experience and may have a decent grasp of the offense and what Kromer wants him to do.

Good feet? Sounds encouraging. But I have three major problems with Demby.

1. Pattern: the pattern of lousy play seems to me to be overwhelming. Lots and lots of weak efforts and collapses. Some anonymous plays in which he did little one way or another, but very few decisive contribution to successful plays.
  2. Weakness: physically, he is overmatched in contact. He has little punch and cannot sustain blocks because he lacks that wide base.
  3. Attitude: he just does not show evidence of wanting to get in the fight. He frequently wanders around, avoiding the action, even when it is right in front of him. He does, however, like to cheerlead for good plays made by other guys!

And see these issues are not related to experience or nerves or rhythm. I saw ZERO evidence of a “settling down” effect. I see a guy who is underpowered and under-motivated. I’ve never seen such a guy flourish—I’ve seen scores fail. I will be shocked if Demby ever makes it to league-average capability.

Sadly, Demby was not alone in his poor performance. As I watched Demby, NB and Hav often showed up in the stinker column as well. I still need to do a long look at NB and Allen (I like him in general). Overall, our OL is simply not a strength and may be emerging as a liability.

What saves us is the really clever zone blocking scheme. If there was any “settling down,” it was, as far as I can see, far more a matter of McV and Kromer moving the game laterally, stretch runs and tosses, QB half rolls, bootlegs. They keep forcing the defense to move laterally, creating chances for seams to open. And don’t forget Goff, who repeatedly made plays under huge pressure. Demby had a lousy game, but the coaches and QB managed to minimize the damage he did and take our eyes off his lousy pass blocking.

But how long can clever blocking schemes support a weak and/or green OL? See, I like Goff. I want to see him remain healthy. I am not a big fan of Blythe, but he could manage adequate. With Demby in there? Man, I figure we’ll be seeing Bortles fairly soon and Goff’s career could be on the line. One hit to the knees …
Ok.
This is who the coaches have gone with.
What is your option to replace him?
Brewer? Maybe.
None of the back up OL looked ready to play to me during the preseason at all. Closest was Neary who is gone.
The Rams made a conscious decision to go on the cheap for OL depth.
It will be interesting to see with a week of first team reps and a game plan with Demby in the fold, how he plays. One thing for sure Cleveland should attack the right side with blitzes and stunts.
It will also be interesting to see if he struggles mightily if the team makes a change.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Looks like the Demby experiment will be full on in Cleveland. I don't look for any 7 step drops by Goff early. What I do expect is the ball to come out early for short gains. Will they try someone else if Demby gets bulldozed? I sure hope so.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like the Demby experiment will be full on in Cleveland. I don't look for any 7 step drops by Goff early. What I do expect is the ball to come out early for short gains. Will they try someone else if Demby gets bulldozed? I sure hope so.
Not lookin forward to Demby vs Richardson. I think the Rams are nuts but whatever. Here's hoping Kromer proves everyone wrong.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think Demby will be fine. You guys are overreacting and he hasn't even started a game. Lets see how he does against Cleveland, maybe with a full week of prep he might play a little better. A lot of being good in a Zone blocking scheme is not what you do as a individual player but what you do as a unit. It takes time to gel with the peeps around you. A week of practice will help.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jacob, I've been to all the TC practice and all the Charger vs Ram scrimmages and watched Demby, OL, all the pre season games. What I've seen of Demby is enough to know he's NOT ready for the NFL. In my eyes Edwards is better and Evans slightly better. Guy has no push, no fire in his belly. I hope like hell he proves us all wrong, and hope Kromer and McVay have a backup plan Sunday.

I expect McVay to call plays from the get go that get the ball out quick, to nickle and dime Browns with short passes and runs to the edges. I highly doubt we see a running play go up the middle in the first qtr. Not a bad game plan as bBrowns have been bad at covering those kind of plays.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
When you boil it all down you can only go by one fact;

Demby did not suck when thrown into the fire.

I don't remember him getting a penalty.

I don't remember him giving up an extraordinary amount of pressure on Goff.

He looked like he was prepared and knew his assignments in run blocking.

And we won.

I would give Demby an A + under these circumstances. JMO.

Ram65

Legend
Demby didn't seem that terrible after his first few plays against NO.

You can see him handle his man on back-to-back highlight plays at 50 seconds and 57 seconds. I'm not calling him a superstar, but I don't recall the guy being a sieve outside of his first few plays on the field.

I'm with you 32. I rewatched from when Blythe went out. First two pass plays he was beaten but, on the second one his man went past Goff and he came back to hit him. After that he did good. Did what he was supposed to do. One play his man got off his block to stop a run but, the runner got positive yards. Helped Brown get a few extra yards on a 10 + gain with a downfield seal off. You tell later in the game he was feeling it as he was clapping his hands after the play helping the runner get up.

I fell a lot better after watching again.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Jacob, I've been to all the TC practice and all the Charger vs Ram scrimmages and watched Demby, OL, all the pre season games. What I've seen of Demby is enough to know he's NOT ready for the NFL. In my eyes Edwards is better and Evans slightly better. Guy has no push, no fire in his belly. I hope like hell he proves us all wrong, and hope Kromer and McVay have a backup plan Sunday.

I expect McVay to call plays from the get go that get the ball out quick, to nickle and dime Browns with short passes and runs to the edges. I highly doubt we see a running play go up the middle in the first qtr. Not a bad game plan as bBrowns have been bad at covering those kind of plays.

Yeah I've seen a lot of players look bad in pre season or TC and then are great players. Let's see how he does

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Bubba, I respect you, but I have total faith in McVay and Kromer.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I personally think our FO thinks longterm, and I believe they're going to prove very adept at that. It's my impression they are looking down the road and building a perennial winner instead of a temporary "SB window." We have to deal within the realities of cap, etc. and adjust our expectations.

But it's also my view that OL is just not where you can "roll the dice." I've seen too many times over the years where teams try to cheat or scrimp on OL and it almost never works out, and once you get behind in acquisition, it's very difficult to ever catch back up. Quality OL is rare around the league, and you have to be very conscious of that as you plan spending of draft, cap, and trade capital.

So I've been scratching my head all summer waiting for Snead to make a move or something, at least in terms of some quality or vet depth, and the first 2 games are already kind of confirming my anxieties about it.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Bubba, I respect you, but I have total faith in McVay and Kromer.

Sunday night football in Cleveland where we should win will now be a fingers crossed night to see if Demby can actually pass block if asked to without being in a Zone scheme. I too trust kromer and this week was focused on getting Demby prepped for a possible game plan directed AT him by a very talented young DT and if we need Demby against Suh and the Bucs next I'm worried for our Franchise QB who deserves a better OL. I assure you teams are aware of our weak spot and hiding it will be a play by play assessment by Kromer. Hopr Kromer is in the Press box to see it all clearly as my OL coach always watched. We should have Blythe back by Bucs game at least. I just want to see us run our offense and move the ball with all the skill players we have. Gonna be interesting and I'd have Edwards active and ready in Cleveland . He will hold up better against a pass rush and our RB's need to be ready to pick up any LB blitzes. i'm sure Brian Allen and now Goff also calls protections. Takes me back to the days of St. Clair at offensive right tackle and how we had to adjust to him every game till we could replace him.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
These Ram OL players should be able to take another step forward in their gelling process vs the Browns.

Ask yourself if the Browns front 7 is so much better than the Panthers and the Saints. They’re good, but I doubt that they are better.

Meanwhile, the Ram OL should be improving each week. Sooooo...

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I thought Demby improved as the game wore on and aweek of practice with the ones along with some continuity should have him better prepared for this week's game.
I am cautiously optimistic that he will be well prepared and act as a serviceable replacement.
I look for him to play better that being said he is not a high Caliber starter IMO but should fair well enough to fill in

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ask yourself if the Browns front 7 is so much better than the Panthers and the Saints. They’re good, but I doubt that they are better.
Garrett is the best pass rusher Whit has faced yet this season. I have to think Whit is going to need a little help and I'm sure the Rams are scheming that in.

Richardson is excellent but the real prob with him in the matchup is he'll see a lot of either Demby (big mismatch) or Blythe (mismatch and he might be slowed by that ankle even if he goes) and either way whoever it is will need help.

Vernon is excellent but I think Hav can handle him for the most part. Not to say Hav won't get beat in this one of course.

Basically the only chance the Browns have in this game is for that DL to go the F off and camp out in our backfield. If that happens our offense will be sluggish and it's a winnable game for them.