Demby, RG, and Upside

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
When you boil it all down you can only go by one fact;

Demby did not suck when thrown into the fire.

I don't remember him getting a penalty.

I don't remember him giving up an extraordinary amount of pressure on Goff.

He looked like he was prepared and knew his assignments in run blocking.

And we won.

I would give Demby an A + under these circumstances. JMO.

Not blaming Demby but Goff took some VERY BIG hits in the Saints game and can only compare what I've been seeing from GOFF that is like Kurt Warner is he can take a hit and get up and not whine about it. With Mike Martz as your head coach the QB will get hit and often and hard. He never came up with a different offense to stop it. Goff took hits as a rookie learning but never seen anyone keep getting up after big hits like Warner did and just move on. Goff took many hits last week and no head blows even drew a flag which was insane. We can't let Garrett get to Goff with any momentum as he had 4 sacks in the browns game last week.

oldnotdead

Legend
Demby played a good game tonight. The weak link was Havenstein. IMO Demby simply needs experience and practice with the first unit o-line. His inexperience showed at times but it's not like he was outmatched.

If Jamil plays one or two more weeks and continues to play well you have to wonder if Blythe gets his position back. Blythe is a FA at the end of the season.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Demby played a good game tonight. The weak link was Havenstein. IMO Demby simply needs experience and practice with the first unit o-line. His inexperience showed at times but it's not like he was outmatched.

If Jamil plays one or two more weeks and continues to play well you have to wonder if Blythe gets his position back. Blythe is a FA at the end of the season.

Were you watching the same game that I was? Demby had a couple of penalties and was generally a sieve in pass protection. I can't wait for Blythe to come back.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Adam Goldberg was an atrocious football player. I broke my own promise to never mention his name again. I used to break down every play on the OL, frame by frame, and I published them here, and other places. AG was the worst Rams Offensive lineman I ever evaluated.

He started over Greco, who had some productive years in Cleveland, and by my evaluation was far superior to AG. Adam Goldberg, Adam Goldberg, Adam...step by step, inch by inch....

Demby is a gem compared, no joke.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Blythe will get his spot b
Were you watching the same game that I was? Demby had a couple of penalties and was generally a sieve in pass protection. I can't wait for Blythe to come back.
He has a agenda against some of the players he doesn't like. I always find it strange that a fan would prefer to be right and root for a player to suck.

MachS

Hall of Fame
To me we seemed a bit more stable with Blythe out there so that would be my call. Let Demby keep developing on the bench for now. But regardless I think after this season we need to address the o-line big time. This could be Witworth's last year, Havenstein is average RT at best right now and I'm not sold on either of our guards. Could the regression of the o-line be the root cause for our running woes and not Gurley's knee? There are times where I think Gurley doesn't look as explosive, but I think at times he doesn't go 100% when it's not blocked well. Which with this o line has been happening more and more, but it's also hard to evaluate when your coach doesn't commit to the run.

RamWoodie

Legend
I asked the same question....cuz I don't get it. I didn't see Hav struggling...he was SOLID.

Demby had a couple of false starts...but generally he was ok. He needs work but he filled in ok.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
To me we seemed a bit more stable with Blythe out there so that would be my call. Let Demby keep developing on the bench for now. But regardless I think after this season we need to address the o-line big time. This could be Witworth's last year, Havenstein is average RT at best right now and I'm not sold on either of our guards. Could the regression of the o-line be the root cause for our running woes and not Gurley's knee? There are times where I think Gurley doesn't look as explosive, but I think at times he doesn't go 100% when it's not blocked well. Which with this o line has been happening more and more, but it's also hard to evaluate when your coach doesn't commit to the run.
McVay - Kromer needs to add first-round talent to their offensive line. The offensive line is typically one of the safest positions to draft (first round)because the success rate is greater than almost all the other positions. "Pro Football Reference"

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Demby commited two false starts, one near the end of the game on te one foot line that could have cost the rams the game.

Anyone else notice how he had to ask who to block and was the last one set before ever play?

guy plays with no passion and looks lost most of the time.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
So - its probably pretty hard to be a guard at the NFL level. Demby had a couple of things that he needs to clean up - but for the most part, Goff had time.

When Blythe went down, I think we all peed a bit. We are deep at most positions, but the O line was probably the worst spot (sans QB) for us to take a hit on. Demby hasn't been spectacular by any stretch, but lets cut the backup some slack.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I mentioned this in another thread but on one sack of Goff... it looked like DT came in free between Allen and Demby. Both turned the opposite way to block and no one was there for the DT. Inexcusable.

I'd bet dollar to donuts it was Demby's mistake and not Allens.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McVay - Kromer needs to add first-round talent to their offensive line. The offensive line is typically one of the safest positions to draft (first round)because the success rate is greater than almost all the other positions. "Pro Football Reference"
Tomas... I disagree with the sentiment that we need to add first round talent to the line.

With OL most of the top guys go off the board due to polish and typically an ability to play on the edge. There are guys who are dominant on the interior and will go in round one but just as often you see teams go first round on the OL for one reason: they need a guy who can start quickly.

I think of the two tackles we drafted one of them at least will end up being a permanent fixture on the OL. Maybe both. So if a great talent slides to us in the draft take him. Otherwise take the best player or slide down and target your guy like we did with Rapp, and keep loading our OL pipeline midrounds.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So - its probably pretty hard to be a guard at the NFL level. Demby had a couple of things that he needs to clean up - but for the most part, Goff had time.

When Blythe went down, I think we all peed a bit. We are deep at most positions, but the O line was probably the worst spot (sans QB) for us to take a hit on. Demby hasn't been spectacular by any stretch, but lets cut the backup some slack.
We're a super bowl contender 12. I think that's the thing here I am having the most problem with. I see a lot of fans rationalizing things with Demby and probably because the staff keeps giving him more rope. I mean it's hard to argue with Kromer's results. But IMO that rope is coming to an end.

If someone goes down on the interior in the playoffs and Demby comes in, we take a huge hit offensively. That needs to change.

oldnotdead

Legend
Havenstein solid but Demby sucks? Rob's blown block allowed the sack fumble. Rob sucked completely against the Aints. One of Demby's false starts was baited by a smart move by Cleveland. Something used against inexperienced players. I guess we did watch other games because even replays showed Demby wasn't as bad as his haters wanted him to be.

I'm not saying Demby is all pro but right now he's on par with Blythe. Blythe great? I keep saying watch the first Ram series of the NFC Championship game and he blows 2 of the 3 offensive blocks he had to make.

Bottom line is both RT and RG need a makeover badly. Also, as much as I like Allen he's still making mistakes. For the second game in a row, he blocks the wrong guy. In this game he for some unknown reason stops blocking a guy he initially engages and simply turns him loose to run free at Goff to double with Noteboom on a guy Joe has under control. NO ONE HERE HAS SAID A WORD except maybe me. People see inside pressure and they immediately point to Demby. But in reality Allen has had his share of miscues leading to those pressures. Allen like Demby will learn from their mistakes which is why I'm saying the o-line is a work in progress.

This interior o-line is a work in progress. All three, Noteboom, Allen, and Demby have made their share of mistakes. But that happens with new guys. The entire offense looks out of sync and in starts with their inability to run. Everyone is now emulating the Pats defensive allgnment. An outside zone blocking scheme is predicated on the assumption that the defense will lose gap coverage and open holes for the RB to exploit. When that doesn't happen, then the run gets stuffed, usually for a loss.

Why do you think I've been advocating changing up the blocking scheme? They need to run an inside zone or gap blocking scheme as well as their outside zone. If you only run one blocking scheme (i.e. outside zone) everytime you run the ball you are making it too easy for a disciplined front 7 to beat you. If they can't pre-anticipate your blocking scheme you make them hesitate for that half second extra your o-line needs to gain the advantage off the snap.

If they aren't going to make a change at RT then they need to start giving him help with TE chips. The book on Havenstein is that speed beats him. The last two games have shown that to be accurate.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
So if a great talent slides to us in the draft take him. Otherwise take the best player or slide down and target your guy like we did with Rapp, and keep loading our OL pipeline midrounds.
i.e. OT Mike McGlinchey,OG Quenton Nelson

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Rams are 3-0 with an interior OL that has just made 3 NFL starts for 2 of them, 1 start for the other. There have been issues, but mostly consistent play. All 3 are gaining experience, will be better then 2nd half of the season. Blythe looks to come back too.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I asked the same question....cuz I don't get it. I didn't see Hav struggling...he was SOLID.

Demby had a couple of false starts...but generally he was ok. He needs work but he filled in ok.

Demby was garbage in a lot of ways !! Maybe salvable though. Hope someone passes him up ?? If not at least attacks better.