Demby, RG, and Upside

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Been trying to formulate exactly how I feel about this whole Demby situation, and it's kind of complicated tbh as you'll see below. Also there's a lot of polarization among the horned faithful with him, not so much here but elsewhere, for similar reasons, so I wanted to try to have some open discussion where we don't light the dude on fire. And obviously we might get Blythe back sooner than later, but with his FA looming and the unlikeliness of him being signed long-term I do think this is a conversation that might go into the offseason if someone doesn't step up (which I hope is not the case). At the very least behind closed doors I have to think Kromer's gameplan is to identify the next guy up not only for this season but for the playoffs as well as the future of the line. So anyway here goes nuthin loool...

1. Demby seems to be in this role due to his knowledge of the offense. He's been around with familiarity of the scheme and coaches long enough that the comfort level is there. Fans don't like how he played in preseason (and I am among them) but as Kromer pointed out this week in his press conference the guy was moved all over the joint in order to help prepare him for being the first lineman off the bench and that has plenty of drawbacks.

2. Perception of Demby's upside is different among fans than what Kromer is seeing. I am used to Kromer being right so currently I feel like I'm on crazy pills. Because I am not seeing a guy who gives me confidence that he's going to improve all that much. And that makes me look at the other options like Edwards and Evans who have a ton of potential between them and think that their upside is going to be much more. But back to Demby, I am willing to consider that maybe he does have some upside I'm not seeing on the film.

3. His best position is going to be OG. He is probably not going to play OT at this level and in fact I doubt he would have come in the game as first player off the bench for Hav for example. Of course we don't know the truth on that and whether or not that's true the need right now is RG until we get some kind of information on Blythe's status.

4. I am going to make an assumption here that both Edwards & Evans don't know the playbook well enough. If Edwards did, I would think he'd be in that mix like Boom was for us last season but obviously he's not at that level just yet and that's ok. And between the two of them I also assume Edwards is still ahead, although I would love to hear some rumblings about them liking Evans' progress behind the scenes. This is all guesswork of course as we are not privy to their progress. Also it is possible that the Rams are not high on either of them, and are making the best of a bad situation. My eyes during preseason lead me to think that's not true wrt Edwards but who knows.

5. I find myself wondering about the injuries in Sunday's game and how they might have affected things. Blythe was injured before Higs I think, going off memory here, so it's unlikely they wanted to reserve Edwards for TE duties in the event McVay wanted to run 12 personnel looks and mash the run game. Just throwing out things I've been thinkin about.

6. Last point here is that I don't believe a damn thing the Rams' staff says when it comes to players who don't play well. Demby we all know struggled in the game, just like he struggled in preseason. Rams talked him up and that's one thing I like about the org. But the talk and the moves are often two completely different things. So while I tend to think going back to point 2 that Kromer sees the right stuff in Demby, I am not sure about it.

Boiling it down I have to think the game vs the Browns is going to clear things up (assuming Blythe isn't ready to go). If the disconnect is that Kromer thinks Demby has more upside than the rest of us, then he's gonna start and hopefully continue to improve going forward. If it's that our two rooks don't quite have a good enough grasp of the playbook, we might see one of them get the nod with a week of practice and prep with the gameplan under their belt. And obtw at this point I have zero idea who's been getting the snaps in practice, because why would the media ask about that when they can ask about how the Saints got screwed over by another penalty right? o_O

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good assessment Merlin, pretty much the way I see it. Coaches aren't going to say anything about players no matter how bad they look.

Worth noting, I remember Kromer telling his players at TC not to worry about bad play, but concentrate on the technique he is teaching, it will pay off later. I also believe Demby is in because Kromer is saving Edwards in case something happens to a Tackle, and he would be first off the bench in that case.

All in all, we all knew this years OL was going to struggle early on. Two new interior linemen, now three. Goff is not going to have the comfort level he had and a clean pocket as much. He's going to have to get the ball out faster on more snaps. I'm sure coaching staff are aware and game planning til this OL settles in with some more continuity.

Ram65

Legend
One possible reason Demby gets the nod over Edwards is that Edwards is the reserve OT. Rams may not want to risk losing him to injury unnecessarily. There really isn't another solid OT alternative at this point should a starter get hurt. Evans or Demby at OT would put Goff in the hospital.

At least with Demby at RG Goff can see the unblocked pass rusher coming. :giggle:

I hear your concerns on Demby. As I stated early Demby gets reps this week with the starters. The hope is he feels more comfortable with his assignment and shakes off the early jitters. He also gets some coaching up by Kromer and staff. Let's see if he can become at least serviceable till Blythe comes back.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All in all, we all knew this years OL was going to struggle early on. Two new interior linemen, now three. Goff is not going to have the comfort level he had and a clean pocket as much. He's going to have to get the ball out faster on more snaps. I'm sure coaching staff are aware and game planning til this OL settles in with some more continuity.
Yeah and this game in particular there's going to be a big difference if Demby's in there because he's gonna see a lot of Richardson.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Been trying to formulate exactly how I feel about this whole Demby situation, and it's kind of complicated tbh as you'll see below. Also there's a lot of polarization among the horned faithful with him, not so much here but elsewhere, for similar reasons, so I wanted to try to have some open discussion where we don't light the dude on fire. And obviously we might get Blythe back sooner than later, but with his FA looming and the unlikeliness of him being signed long-term I do think this is a conversation that might go into the offseason if someone doesn't step up (which I hope is not the case). At the very least behind closed doors I have to think Kromer's gameplan is to identify the next guy up not only for this season but for the playoffs as well as the future of the line. So anyway here goes nuthin loool...

1. Demby seems to be in this role due to his knowledge of the offense. He's been around with familiarity of the scheme and coaches long enough that the comfort level is there. Fans don't like how he played in preseason (and I am among them) but as Kromer pointed out this week in his press conference the guy was moved all over the joint in order to help prepare him for being the first lineman off the bench and that has plenty of drawbacks.

2. Perception of Demby's upside is different among fans than what Kromer is seeing. I am used to Kromer being right so currently I feel like I'm on crazy pills. Because I am not seeing a guy who gives me confidence that he's going to improve all that much. And that makes me look at the other options like Edwards and Evans who have a ton of potential between them and think that their upside is going to be much more. But back to Demby, I am willing to consider that maybe he does have some upside I'm not seeing on the film.

3. His best position is going to be OG. He is probably not going to play OT at this level and in fact I doubt he would have come in the game as first player off the bench for Hav for example. Of course we don't know the truth on that and whether or not that's true the need right now is RG until we get some kind of information on Blythe's status.

4. I am going to make an assumption here that both Edwards & Evans don't know the playbook well enough. If Edwards did, I would think he'd be in that mix like Boom was for us last season but obviously he's not at that level just yet and that's ok. And between the two of them I also assume Edwards is still ahead, although I would love to hear some rumblings about them liking Evans' progress behind the scenes. This is all guesswork of course as we are not privy to their progress. Also it is possible that the Rams are not high on either of them, and are making the best of a bad situation. My eyes during preseason lead me to think that's not true wrt Edwards but who knows.

5. I find myself wondering about the injuries in Sunday's game and how they might have affected things. Blythe was injured before Higs I think, going off memory here, so it's unlikely they wanted to reserve Edwards for TE duties in the event McVay wanted to run 12 personnel looks and mash the run game. Just throwing out things I've been thinkin about.

6. Last point here is that I don't believe a damn thing the Rams' staff says when it comes to players who don't play well. Demby we all know struggled in the game, just like he struggled in preseason. Rams talked him up and that's one thing I like about the org. But the talk and the moves are often two completely different things. So while I tend to think going back to point 2 that Kromer sees the right stuff in Demby, I am not sure about it.

Boiling it down I have to think the game vs the Browns is going to clear things up (assuming Blythe isn't ready to go). If the disconnect is that Kromer thinks Demby has more upside than the rest of us, then he's gonna start and hopefully continue to improve going forward. If it's that our two rooks don't quite have a good enough grasp of the playbook, we might see one of them get the nod with a week of practice and prep with the gameplan under their belt. And obtw at this point I have zero idea who's been getting the snaps in practice, because why would the media ask about that when they can ask about how the Saints got screwed over by another penalty right? o_O

Great well thought out post Merlin.I especially like #6 as if any of us peon posters on this board dare contradicts a coach's positive assessment when we as knowledgeable past game players saw the all 22 game film frame by frame on how Demby performed. His lack of effort and quick ability to cheerlead when he did nothing and a play went right by him for 11 yards in a Brown run. We now have to scheme and gameplan around our weakness as I hope swelling goes down in Blythes ankle and he returns next against the Bucs and Suh who knows him well. I was also called lost when I suggested Miles Garrett will rush from BOTH sides of the browns defense thus giving Havenstein who struggled with Cam Jordan and had 3 holding calls when normally Havenstein does well except from big speed rushers. Of course Big Whit and his big body and long arms can push Garrett by Goff as he'll probably be on our usual roll out anyway. Lot's of gameplanning for this game I see.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What if the Demby ‘situation’ is just this simple?

Namely, that Kromer feels that Demby is his best option right now. And that Kromer is feeling that Edwards (or Evans) is catching up fast to Demby.

IOW, Demby is considered a very temporary placeholder right now. A band-aid, kinda?

Kromer is dealing with several moving parts in his OL pecking order and losing Blythe while trying to coddle Boom and Allen in their 2nd game was an unfortunate circumstance.

All things considered it’s worked out okay, don’t you think?

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH

Demby is very smart as I've heard and McVay loves that. Was'nt he a late pick last season and made PS and then was poached by Lions who had to make him a starter and after a short stint the Lions gave up on him as they saw no improvement . He was then added back to our PS (I think). I just know he had another full offseason in our program & had a ton of opportunities this PS as he played almost every snap at all OL positions. I hope for very quick healing and selling to go down in Austin Blythe's ankle as his injury was a major bullet we dodged. It could've been much worse. I was sad when the Lions grabbed Demby last season as I truly thought he was gonna blossom. after gamefilm from Saints game I am seeing what the Lions saw. We have players we have long term plans for in Edwards and Evans and very high expectations as most Wisconsin and Oklahoma OLers have produced in the pro's. Oklahoma could have 3 straight Heisman QB winners and you can't have that without a good OL. All 4 of Evans' OL teammates drafted and on other teams in NFL. It was an aggressive OL as a unit.

Wisconsin normally has a tough running game in big Ten and we will see them play Michigan this week. I hope we did the best in grabbing these two like we did getting Havenstein and so far Noteboom (TCU) and Brian Allen from Michigan State have and are showing signs they can keep getting better and may have a much higher ceiling. RAMS so Blessed to have two FULL seasons of the same starters for all games. That is almost a miracle in todays NFL. OL and DL across the league are dropping like flies. Eagles a great example.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Demby didn't seem that terrible after his first few plays against NO.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Demby didn't seem that terrible after his first few plays against NO.

Jerry I respect you and your opinion as everyone here does but I have to ask you to please name one play from time on the clock and down and distance were Demby showed like he was motivated or actually TRIED to block anyone with a punch or shoulder that he didn't turn to the defender. He was only trying to get in the way of. Folks, It's unwatchable on the all 22. I see why Detroit gave up on him. I personally wonder with 2 years in our system why he thinks he can come on the field and be so unmotivated. We are just lucky Goff was not sought through any block by Demby. "didn't seem that terrible" . I thought terrible is a compliment for his play in the NFL. I'm sure he has been given lots of attention in film room and practice field this week. Browns have a young stud DT also that they could put heads up on Demby. Just want Goff protected is all.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Demby seems to struggle more in the passing game but in contrast the running game improved with him in the game. My biggest concern regarding Blythe being injured would be if something were to happen to Allen as Demby was a disaster in the preseason trying to play center.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jerry I respect you and your opinion as everyone here does but I have to ask you to please name one play from time on the clock and down and distance were Demby showed like he was motivated or actually TRIED to block anyone with a punch or shoulder that he didn't turn to the defender. He was only trying to get in the way of. Folks, It's unwatchable on the all 22. I see why Detroit gave up on him. I personally wonder with 2 years in our system why he thinks he can come on the field and be so unmotivated. We are just lucky Goff was not sought through any block by Demby. "didn't seem that terrible" . I thought terrible is a compliment for his play in the NFL. I'm sure he has been given lots of attention in film room and practice field this week. Browns have a young stud DT also that they could put heads up on Demby. Just want Goff protected is all.

You can see him handle his man on back-to-back highlight plays at 50 seconds and 57 seconds. I'm not calling him a superstar, but I don't recall the guy being a sieve outside of his first few plays on the field.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

You can see him handle his man on back-to-back highlight plays at 50 seconds and 57 seconds. I'm not calling him a superstar, but I don't recall the guy being a sieve outside of his first few plays on the field.

For what it's worth, it's not like Blythe wasn't getting at least occasionally abused while he was in.

fearsomefour

Legend
One possible reason Demby gets the nod over Edwards is that Edwards is the reserve OT. Rams may not want to risk losing him to injury unnecessarily. There really isn't another solid OT alternative at this point should a starter get hurt. Evans or Demby at OT would put Goff in the hospital.

At least with Demby at RG Goff can see the unblocked pass rusher coming. :giggle:

I hear your concerns on Demby. As I stated early Demby gets reps this week with the starters. The hope is he feels more comfortable with his assignment and shakes off the early jitters. He also gets some coaching up by Kromer and staff. Let's see if he can become at least serviceable till Blythe comes back.
This is the main reason Demby gets the nod I would assume.

fearsomefour

Legend
It’s not a matter of motivation I am sure.
It is a matter of technique and balance.
Balance was the undoing of Jamal Brown (by appearances a more talented player than Demby) in the passing game.
A guy without great balance has a very hard time recovering. A guy without great balance can’t risk “lunging” to throw a block because if he doesn’t hit it right he is destroyed.
Some of that is technique that can be worked on.....as we saw with Brown....no improvement, no improvement, then suddenly he got better....and some of it may be physical limitations.
So Demby May be a bit timid at this point and not as physical as we would like him.
Will be watching him closely vs the Browns.
I was surprised he made the team and may not have if Neary didn’t get injured.
I choose to be optimistic about Sunday.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'll say this for Goldberg, he was versatile and a passable player at OG. He was a terrible OT. But he was passable at OG. That 2011 OL was a horror show, though. I still remember us starting guys like Mark LeVoir, Tony Wragge, and Bryan Mattison at points that year.

oldnotdead

Legend
They might want to keep Demby in his Swiss Army knife role. No one else has been cross trained to the extent he has. It would seem to make more sense to roll out Coleman Shelton at RG until Blythe returns. If Demby is starting at RG who takes his place as all everything backup?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In one of McVey's press conferences, when talking about Demby, he said, "If Jamil is still in there" or something like that. He seemed to correct himself and say " when Austin is back" just after. I instantly thought they are considering Edwards at RG.

If the Browns coaches identify Demby as a weak link, then he's libel to get Goff killed by a Myles Garrett full weight body slam. That would really suck for everyone.