Defensive coordinator search

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AppeasFBlGods

Rookie
Ron Rivera is a real possibility. He's built incredible defenses at 3 different franchises. Yeah he failed in his stint as HC in Washington.. but that franchise is a mess. And defensively they had some real personel issues

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Ron Rivera is a real possibility. He's built incredible defenses at 3 different franchises. Yeah he failed in his stint as HC in Washington.. but that franchise is a mess. And defensively they had some real personel issues
I have no idea.. seems unlikely.. but maybe McVay likes having a guy with HC experience around?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You could be right, I really don't know if (1) what that dude told me is right and (2) and if Shula is good or not. Don't know enough about him. So---you could very well be right.
i also know McVay likes Shula and it was Chris Shula who recommended Brandon Staley to McVay for DC and Shula was right about that. Who knows? His grandfather was one hell of a defensive coach before he was Head Coach, so it is possible that Shula could be an excellent DC, but he would not be my first choice and might not even be my second choice.

Chris Shula was the DC for John Carroll University back in 2014. The team went 11-2 and his defense gave up 13 points a game and registered 3 shutouts. That was the only time he was a DC, not too bad, in fairness.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
An outside the team and outside the box candidate
I prefer guys that do more with less.
I’m not saying he can’t be a good coordinator, but that Dallas line has some strong talent to work with.
Coaching talent is easy.

Let’s find a guy that can milk and lead the less talented as well.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I’m not saying he can’t be a good coordinator, but that Dallas line has some strong talent to work with.
Coaching talent is easy.

I've got tits can you milk me

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coaching talent is easy.

What came first the chicken or the egg? Who's to say he hasn't made that talent better.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ron Rivera is a real possibility. He's built incredible defenses at 3 different franchises.
One of my friends (Bears fan) has a weirdly high opinion of Rivera and texted me something similar this morning, actually congratulating me on the Rams maybe hiring him. And I just don't get it. Maybe I overlooked some of his defenses but I can't recall ever watching a defense he runs and thinking "this is my kind of defense."

His name to me invokes feelings somewhere along the lines of Jeff Fisher. I just don't think he's good enough for a McVay staff. Which means he'll be the hire. :laugh3:

Turducken

Starter
Are we seriously mentioning Bill Belichick as a candidate for defensive coordinator? The man is one of the greatest Head Coaches of all time. Yall are smoking the strong stuff if you think he’s coaching at any level besides head coach. If he doesn’t end up with a team as a head coach, my guess is he sits out a year.
That was my reaction too, but I'm not sure he gets another chance. I guess it depends on how much he wants another HC gig.

Next year he'd be 72 on Black Monday and 73 before the draft. If Bill sat a year and Jerod Mayo turned the Pats around next season, he might not get another offer. Nobody gave Landry another shot (at age 64).

But if Bill came in and (in one season) turned the Rams D into a top 3 unit (on the way to his 7th SB ring) some franchise would probably hand him the keys.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
One of my friends (Bears fan) has a weirdly high opinion of Rivera and texted me something similar this morning, actually congratulating me on the Rams maybe hiring him. And I just don't get it. Maybe I overlooked some of his defenses but I can't recall ever watching a defense he runs and thinking "this is my kind of defense."

His name to me invokes feelings somewhere along the lines of Jeff Fisher. I just don't think he's good enough for a McVay staff. Which means he'll be the hire. :laugh3:
Year...........Team.........Pts Rank......Yds allowed
2004..........Bears.............13.................21
2005..........Bears...............1..................2 (Div champs)
2006..........Bears...............3..................5 (Div champs/Superbowl loss)

2008..........SDiego............15................25 (Div champs)
2009..........SDiego............11................16 (Div champs)
2010..........SDiego............10..................1

Last 13 years as a head coach, I'm surprised he'd take a DC job. But the twitter-verse said he's interviewed with the Rams for the job.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Year...........Team.........Pts Rank......Yds allowed
2004..........Bears.............13.................21
2005..........Bears...............1..................2 (Div champs)
2006..........Bears...............3..................5 (Div champs/Superbowl loss)

2008..........SDiego............15................25 (Div champs)
2009..........SDiego............11................16 (Div champs)
2010..........SDiego............10..................1

Last 13 years as a head coach, I'm surprised he'd take a DC job. But the twitter-verse said he's interviewed with the Rams for the job.
Well 2005 & 2006 he had Lovie Smith as HC. And I'm a big fan of Lovie. But I suppose I shouldn't cherry pick here. He was DC when they finished top 3 two years running. :clinkingbeer:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I just listened to the podcast with the Chargers beat writer’s take on Staley. He basically described him as an arrogant genius.

He said he has a rule and an answer for every possible situation on the field. But, he wasn’t great at relating all of that information to the players. The players agreed that he’s a genius. But all of the rules made it difficult for them to play fast. It was too much thinking involved.

I wonder how it worked well with the Rams. Maybe as a DC only, he had the time to teach his scheme. Maybe having McVay involved helped as well.

Who is the first Ram coach you think of when you read the description- Arrogant Genius?

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Are we seriously mentioning Bill Belichick as a candidate for defensive coordinator? The man is one of the greatest Head Coaches of all time. Yall are smoking the strong stuff if you think he’s coaching at any level besides head coach. If he doesn’t end up with a team as a head coach, my guess is he sits out a year.
He may be outdated with his approach to how to relate to players. He may not get another head coaching job. He’d make a good advisor for McVay though. If he’s not coaching maybe he’d be up for it. Munchak retired and McVay chased him for six months. Now Munchak is open to get back to coaching Oline for Tennessee. ( it sucks for the Rams if he does. He received the credit for the Rams excellent blocking on screen plays this year.)

WestCoastRam

Legend
Looks like Staley's suitors are GB, Miami, and us.

GB has a decent D, that I guess could be attractive but prob less interesting than... Miami with some pieces and no income tax or not have to move and come stay with us.

Not having to move is nice. But so is Miami.