Defensive coordinator search

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was showing how people can say anything they want. Sometimes we get opinions substituting facts. And I gave a ridiculous opinion based on nothing but even so it has equal value to the original post which was based on nothing.
No no, it's based on vibes baby. Vibes all day. America is run on vibes. Or is it Dunkin'. I dunno.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was showing how people can say anything they want. Sometimes we get opinions substituting facts. And I gave a ridiculous opinion based on nothing but even so it has equal value to the original post which was based on nothing.
Oh. I wondered. I thought it was a strange comment. We write thongs like that in blue font. It helps when people don’t follow threads closely to know who’s serious and who isn’t.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We should get our pick of the best available.

Anyone knows that getting a job under McVay almost guarantees them a head coaching job.

So Staley wouldn't be bad in that aspect, because at least he wouldn't be going anywhere for a while.

swmizzou83

Starter
If Staley could actually do a good job again he would be a good get because teams would be reluctant to hire him as a HC again so he would stick around for awhile.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If Staley could actually do a good job again he would be a good get because teams would be reluctant to hire him as a HC again so he would stick around for awhile.
He would likely need a few years.. who knows.. maybe he ends up being McVay’s Spags?

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Oh. I wondered. I thought it was a strange comment. We write thongs like that in blue font. It helps when people don’t follow threads closely to know who’s serious and who isn’t.
Thanks for the tip ... didn't know about the blue font thing.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I guess I understand why folks are saying they wouldn't want Staley based on his lack of success as the Chargers head coach. But in the 1 season he was with us, we had the #1 defense in the NFL.... staring Kiser and Young at ILB..... with SJD at nose tackle....and a rookie drafted in the 6th round starting at Free Safety.

I'd be more than happy to have him back.

I'd also add... I know he just left, but I'm a big Eric Henderson fan.
Call it the Spagnuolo rule if you want. A guy can be a terrible HC and a phenominal DC.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Call it the Spagnuolo rule if you want. A guy can be a terrible HC and a phenominal DC.
Happens seemingly a lot. Linehan was good coordinator ... so was Martz --- head caoches? Linehan not good,Martz just okay, IMO

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I jinxed it. Got too cocky ... now a fluke play put 49ers back in the game

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So Staley wouldn't be bad in that aspect, because at least he wouldn't be going anywhere for a while.
Yeah and since the offense is pretty well stocked there's going to be a lot of resources spent on that defense this offseason. This should be a good year for whoever comes in to be our DC. I expect he'll have a lot of good young talent to work with.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah and since the offense is pretty well stocked there's going to be a lot of resources spent on that defense this offseason. This should be a good year for whoever comes in to be our DC. I expect he'll have a lot of good young talent to work with.
Plus, if it is Staley, he now has more experience to draw from. He may even have suggestions on some Chargers free agents that might be a fit. The Chargers are going to have to cut some people with all of the bad contracts.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Staley would seem to be the obvious hire, but.....eh.

Has anyone done a deep dive as to why the Chargers defenses were so bad with so many big names on the roster?

oldnotdead

Legend
I understand where you are coming from JimY53 I'm simply pointing out that I like the fact that McVay is even looking at a guy like Wilson. I think it's going to come down to Staley and Pleasant. I find it interesting that the Falcons already hired their OC off of McVay's staff but no mention of a DC. I would have speculated that Pleasant would have been a lock to follow Raheem as his DC. But they have to get the Ram's permission and I think they are waiting on Staley's decision. If Staley chooses to go to somewhere like Miami or GB then I think Pleasant will be the next DC. McVay said it best when talking about the OL. He want's continuity and it's no different on the defense. It's why he wanted Morris to stay with Staley's scheme when he was hired. I think he will want to build off of this year and not have to start all over again. So IMO it's down to Staley if he wants the job or Pleasant if Staley goes elsewhere. If Staley comes here then I see Pleasant becoming Morris' DC and Lake becoming the Ram's DB coach.

I think Ramsey would love to have Staley as the Fin's DC. IMO it's probably going to come down to either the Dolphins or Rams for Staley. and I think the Rams would most likely be his choice.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I doubt Staley chooses the Dolphins. Will be surprised. With the Rams he can pick at least a few of the pieces coming in and there isn't any issue of veteran players who have their heads up their asses. Dolphins have some similarities to the boys who let him down with the Chargers. Vets who either weren't fully bought in or for whatever reason didn't leave it all on the field. One thing he gets by signing on with McVay is a group of players who are all-in. Players who will give him everything they've got.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would have speculated that Pleasant would have been a lock to follow Raheem as his DC. But they have to get the Ram's permission and I think they are waiting on Staley's decision
No, they don’t need the Rams permission for DC