Defensive coordinator search

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He may be outdated with his approach to how to relate to players. He may not get another head coaching job. He’d make a good advisor for McVay though. If he’s not coaching maybe he’d be up for it. Munchak retired and McVay chased him for six months. Now Munchak is open to get back to coaching Oline for Tennessee. ( it sucks for the Rams if he does. He received the credit for the Rams excellent blocking on screen plays this year.)
And he ran the 3rd down pass protection meetings. Huge loss if he goes.

oldnotdead

Legend
I still think Pleasant is the guy. He knows the roster and he will provide continuity that McVay likes. There is no question the defense played better than two years prior with Morris who had Ramsey and Wagner. Again, I'm not against playing zone schemes, it's how it's played that makes the difference. Playing soft waiting for the offense to make a mistake is why the defense regressed with Morris. To his credit when he wanted to tighten things up he could and did so well. But why not play that way all the time?

Can Pleasant be the DC this team deserves? That is an unknown, but what is known is that they played better once he returned to the Rams than when it was simply Morris.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Looks like Staley's suitors are GB, Miami, and us.

GB has a decent D, that I guess could be attractive but prob less interesting than... Miami with some pieces and no income tax or not have to move and come stay with us.

Not having to move is nice. But so is Miami.
Green Bays defense won’t be as attractive if the Rams were to sign Jaime Alexander this winter. :thumbsup1:

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I still think Pleasant is the guy. He knows the roster and he will provide continuity that McVay likes. There is no question the defense played better than
Well, that explains giving up more explosive pass plays. Picking off fewer passes (from 3% to 1.7%) and DVOA worse in 2023 than 2022.

two years prior with Morris who had Ramsey and Wagner.
With those guys defense was better than in 2022 and 2021

Also explains why Lions fired him.

Isn't all this not about production but the depth of the CBs that you didn't like?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I just listened to the podcast with the Chargers beat writer’s take on Staley. He basically described him as an arrogant genius.

He said he has a rule and an answer for every possible situation on the field. But, he wasn’t great at relating all of that information to the players. The players agreed that he’s a genius. But all of the rules made it difficult for them to play fast. It was too much thinking involved.

I wonder how it worked well with the Rams. Maybe as a DC only, he had the time to teach his scheme. Maybe having McVay involved helped as well.

Who is the first Ram coach you think of when you read the description- Arrogant Genius?
I'm not surprised by that. Makes me think maybe he benefitted from the quality of the staff McVay put together under him. Those positional coaches undoubtedly helped him out that season with us.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Based on Stafford, Kupp, and Donald’s age, I’d kinda lean on McVay hiring a proven commodity. I don’t think he wants to waste a season on someone that “potentially” could be a good DC.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Based on Stafford, Kupp, and Donald’s age, I’d kinda lean on McVay hiring a proven commodity. I don’t think he wants to waste a season on someone that “potentially” could be a good DC.

Are you ok with Staley?

Off subject but don't we need a new special teams coach?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
:pointup:This is my guess.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do we get anymore draft picks for Morris tea leafing our coaches??

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Quick point on the Packers' Jaire Alexander ... He is Not a free agent.

He's in the middle of a pretty big contract, with huge Dead-$ if the Packers trade or release him.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm sad Jimmy Lake is in ATL. He was my favorite for DC.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks Olders. Hopefully he won’t take anymore!

oldnotdead

Legend
Well, that explains giving up more explosive pass plays. Picking off fewer passes (from 3% to 1.7%) and DVOA worse in 2023 than 2022.

With those guys defense was better than in 2022 and 2021

Also explains why Lions fired him.

Isn't all this not about production but the depth of the CBs that you didn't like?

You are extremely stat driven and frankly they don't always put the reality into context. Raheem had Floyd, Donald, Gaines, Ramsey and Miller. While this past year they had DK, Donald and a bunch of young inexperienced players who had to learn on the fly. But guys like Floyd, Gaines, Ramsey and Miller are really statistically insignificant players right?

IMO stats without context are simply numbers. The fact is this defense improved over 2022 and IMO that means something.

You are welcome to your approach, but so am I.