Defensive coordinator search

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
BTW IMO I think this DC change was coming with or without Morris being hired. I think Kroenke is behind this because he's spending millions and getting a mediocre defense in return.

Really 100% Far from the Truth!!

Where do you come up with this ? Behind Raheem Morris getting a HC job & The Rams a future draft pick ?
-thank you Stan Kronke

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I wonder if McVay has a policy against promoting from within to Coordinator levels.
Bringing outside coordinators is a great way to continually advance your system. Promoting from within is easier on the players and a bonus for the staff but you dont really gain new perspective.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bringing outside coordinators is a great way to continually advance your system. Promoting from within is easier on the players and a bonus for the staff but you dont really gain new perspective.

Same as the OC & DC.Doesn’t promote much from within.

Will be interesting how he structures it (Mcvay)

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Could they rehire Staley and promote Wilson from the Ravens? That would be two strong hires both with familiarity with our system.

Has Henderson been confirmed as an interviewee? Seems a bit odd but would love it if he was granted an opportunity. Alas, I can’t see him returning at least this season

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

FWIW back in 2006 I wanted the Rams to hire Ron Rivera as their Head Coach. I felt they needed the opposite of Mike Martz and Rivera was a defensive coach plus a former player that I believed would have been an asset at the time.

However, Rivera did not have a good first interview after coaching a playoff game with the Bears and that set him back, plus he said that Wade Wilson would be his OC back then, so John Shaw & Fat face Jay Zygmunt thought the combination of Scott Linehan as HC & Jim Haslett as DC was a better option and once again, those two were wrong.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Ellard80

Legend
I kind of want Wink..

I don't love the personality and his defense was not nearly as good this year.

But I'm kind of game for a more aggressive style.

Though I doubt that happens because McVay doesn't typically support those types of defenses in his system.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
FWIW not a fan of Chris Shula for DC, last season he was in the secondary and it was a mess and presently, he is the linebacker coach and pass rush coordinator. I am not confident that Shula can be an effective DC and would not promote him IMHO.
Not so sure about this Den. To get hired by McVay he will need to impress him with his know-how on that back end. So even though I agree he failed miserably as a secondary coach, I also think that year's defense had a lot of fundamental problems with vets who had their feet up or otherwise were on their own program. So what it comes down to for Shula is what did he learn in that valuable year in the secondary.

He undoubtedly knows enough about defensive fronts. But there's a ton of other stuff like how has his eye been in assisting Les and his team in pre-draft evaluation. That matters too for a guy you want to move into a DC role. I'll admit I don't know any of that stuff irt whether he's good enough. But if McVay is considering him that means he's been doing some things well. McVay's not a favoritism type in terms of hiring.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
FWIW back in 2006 I wanted the Rams to hire Ron Rivera as their Head Coach. I felt they needed the opposite of Mike Martz and Rivera was a defensive coach plus a former player that I believed would have been an asset at the time.

However, Rivera did not have a good first interview after coaching a playoff game with the Bears and that set him back, plus he said that Wade Wilson would be his OC back then, so John Shaw & Fat face Jay Zygmunt thought the combination of Scott Linehan as HC & Jim Haslett as DC was a better option and once again, those two were wrong.
I've always seen Rivera as just a guy as a coordinator. He's undoubtedly a great character and I am sure he has forgotten more about defense than many defensive coaches know, but I'm still surprised McVay interviewed him.

Makes me wonder if he's seeing potential for resurgence of the old 46 defense and wants to pick the brains of an old fruit from that tree. Or whether he's thinking more aggression in certain downs and distances is required. Which btw I would agree with. Either way though it's a really interesting interview.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
FWIW not a fan of Chris Shula for DC, last season he was in the secondary and it was a mess and presently, he is the linebacker coach and pass rush coordinator. I am not confident that Shula can be an effective DC and would not promote him IMHO.
I was told to expect Staley or Shula. I know, I know, people will say "You're claiming inside information". I am only telling you what someone said in a message exchange and that has been right in the past on other things. So, you're right to be skeptical and so am I but I am not saying this is some kind of inside info. It's just an opinion from someone I wanted to share. So take it with a gain of salt.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'll take Staley over Shula, but, I'd prefer someone from a successful defense. Chargers defense was abysmal all year with Staley coaching it. Its not as if they lacked for talent either, so it's puzzling. Shula coached the pass rush last year. Tough to grade that fairly. We essentially had only 1 edge and some young guys besides AD on the line. I'd lean more towards a vet coach or vet coordinator.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I was told to expect Staley or Shula. I know, I know, people will say "You're claiming inside information". I am only telling you what someone said in a message exchange and that has been right in the past on other things. So, you're right to be skeptical and so am I but I am not saying this is some kind of inside info. It's just an opinion from someone I wanted to share. So take it with a gain of salt.
I think Staley is an option, I don’t believe Shula is.

I’m being biased towards the Rams previous model.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Scared Ron Burgundy GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I am too.
Hoping that giving interviews to two internal veteran defensive coaches with designations beyond a position-coach (pass-game coordinator and pass-rush-coordinator) is as much a matter of respect than anything else.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I appreciate the info JY, I could be wrong about Shula, but I have always felt his position groups have been ordinary, although, in fairness, he did a good job with Byron Young and Ernest Jones has been outstanding, so maybe with talent, he is fine.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I appreciate the info JY, I could be wrong about Shula, but I have always felt his position groups have been ordinary, although, in fairness, he did a good job with Byron Young and Ernest Jones has been outstanding, so maybe with talent, he is fine.
You could be right, I really don't know if (1) what that dude told me is right and (2) and if Shula is good or not. Don't know enough about him. So---you could very well be right.