Defensive coordinator search

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

WOOD - eggplant- love
If JOE BARRY cameback!!

IMO - no respect. Yeah he didn’t get enough LOVE if so GBay had a little chance.

That little chance would have been maybe winning a Super Bowl. Got messed(screwed) up !!

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think McVay has more to do with the D than most people think he does. I could be wrong but I think he brought in Staley to learn the Fangio scheme. McVay is known for his O, but he knows both sides of the ball. He designs his plays based on all 22 players on the field and their responsibilities to create indecision. I would be surprised if we see a big change in the style of D regardless of who the new DC is.
Yeah I agree RB. I suspect he's very much involved with that defense.

Also I think the Rams are smart with maximizing their defensive personnel in their scheme. They are conservative due to not trusting their pieces. If and when they get that secondary restacked we might see more fun and games.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think McVay has more to do with the D than most people think he does. I could be wrong but I think he brought in Staley to learn the Fangio scheme. McVay is known for his O, but he knows both sides of the ball. He designs his plays based on all 22 players on the field and their responsibilities to create indecision. I would be surprised if we see a big change in the style of D regardless of who the new DC is.
I think this is the case also. He has more say than people seem to think. McVay does not like big by up big plays. Look how conservative he gets on offense on kick and punt returns. Same with his third and long plays. Most are just a run and punt. He punted the ball back to the Lions, near the end of the game. That's why the Tango system works for him.
Yeah I agree RB. I suspect he's very much involved with that defense.

Also I think the Rams are smart with maximizing their defensive personnel in their scheme. They are conservative due to not trusting their pieces. If and when they get that secondary restacked we might see more fun and games.
Yeah, if they get the right players we will likely see a little more aggression. The right players doesn't just mean high level talent though. They will need some guys that really get the scheme.

I've read ad nauseam about McVay and Snead don't like to invest in Safeties. They used a second round pick on Rapp. And, after seeing what Waddle did for the back end of the defense in his playoff run, I'd like to believe that they saw great value in having a goid safety.

I think the Fangio defense stresses QBs like Kyler Murray who go off script regularly. But they need the secondary to pull it off.

I hope things pan out and the Rams puck a safety like Tyler Nubin, or sign Winfield if he's not franchised. The Rams had a lot of goid safeties from the 70's through the 90's. They were some of my favorite players.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nubin would be fantastic yeah. There are examples of great safeties making a big difference in a scheme and he might be one. I'd like someone with some hands back there roaming that deep middle. QBs are way too comfortable hitting us over the middle.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Nubin would be fantastic yeah. There are examples of great safeties making a big difference in a scheme and he might be one. I'd like someone with some hands back there roaming that deep middle. QBs are way too comfortable hitting us over the middle.
And closing speed

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I've always been a proponent of the impact a difference making safety can have. Look at Kyle Hamilton in Baltimore for the most recent example.

There's some noise that Derwin James might become available this off-season... sign me up for some of that.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
WOOD - eggplant- love
If JOE BARRY cameback!!

IMO - no respect. Yeah he didn’t get enough LOVE if so GBay had a little chance.

That little chance would have been maybe winning a Super Bowl. Got messed(screwed) up !!
Thanks Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Dude- you know for an Old Guy & pretty hip or crazy.Do try to keep it real.

Jordan Love though had 2 picks & a chance to beat the NINER’s.

27 2nd half points wasn’t good against Dallas.
17 2nd half points against the 9ers wasn’t all on the defense?
The missed 53 yard FG was killer. Would have made it 24-17.
The 9ers ran clock..

You can’t go from 1 Lafleur to another though.Joe Barry brings high energy to the grass though in practice.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've always been a proponent of the impact a difference making safety can have. Look at Kyle Hamilton in Baltimore for the most recent example.

There's some noise that Derwin James might become available this off-season... sign me up for some of that.
James has been injured for most of his career. I’d pass.

Kyle Hamilton came to mind for me too. The Vikings had a very good safety for a long time. Then you’ve got Ed Reed and Earl Thomas. Thomas’s ability to close on a play was impressive.
I hope they bring back Staley because they need someone who won’t get stolen away for another HC job
They could achieve that with Ron Rivera too.

James Franklin hired the ex-Indiana head coach, Tom Herman. Herman said he just wants to coach. Hopefully he is around for a while. Every time PSU gets a good coordinator they get hired elsewhere.

It’s frustrating that both of my teams have that problem. The Rams seem to have it the worst in the last few years.
I wonder if numbers would back up that McVay has had more coaches promoted to other teams than any other recent head coach.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Having a DC that won't be poached is a powerful thing I agree.

Staley interviews today. Whether he is the hire or not there will be an interesting story in it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
James Franklin hired the ex-Indiana head coach, Tom Herman. Herman said he just wants to coach. Hopefully he is around for a while. Every time PSU gets a good coordinator they get hired elsewhere.
Not to be that guy, but it is actually Tom Allen, Tom Herman was the Ohio State OC, that went onto be the Head Coach at Houston, then Texas and is now Head Coach of Florida Atlantic University.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not to be that guy, but it is actually Tom Allen, Tom Herman was the Ohio State OC, that went onto be the Head Coach at Houston, then Texas and is now Head Coach of Florida Atlantic University.
Elm being a Penn St fan it's better to overlook his faux pas and feel sorry for him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Thanks for the correction. I knew that, my mistake.

Tom Herman is a former county commissioner in my hometown with a history of dubious dealings, and I was just listening to someone tell me about his past experiences with Tom Herman yesterday.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Maybe old news but looks like McDonald is going to Seattle as head coach.