Darrell Henderson's college coach raves about RB's fit with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Last player we got outta Memphis was Isaac Bruce...He was a gem. Hopefully this guy is the same.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Outside of Josh Jacobs, this was my favorite back. We are going to love him.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Some positions have starters and backups in case of injuries. Other positions have rotations. RB is becoming the later more and more and that will certainly be the case for us goi g forward.
I agree. When they gave Todd 50 mil they envisioned him as a workhorse back. Its obvious now that his touches will be limited. Not what the Rams wanted but they need to adapt.

EasyE

Starter
he runs a little like Brandin Cooks in his style. Kinda stiff and upright. maybe thats how it looks when you have speed to burn.

hope this is not a re-run of Gaston Green or the kid out of Arizona that Martz drafted.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
He is kinda small to not have any wiggle. He is 5 9 200lbs and runs upright like steven jackson. He wont be the #2 back... He will probably be a gadget/change of pace back like tavon austin... Lol looks like he can catch better than tavon tho. I see he rarely gets caught from behind and holds the ball high and tight. But it concerns me when on the sideline he doesnt put the ball to the sideline

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally I don't think you spend two 3rd round picks to get a 3rd stringer. I think they project Henderson as a time share with Gurley,

well he did say until someone proves to be better.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With Henderson widely seen as somebody who would go in the first two rounds, I didn't even watch him before the Draft (couldn't watch everyone). I just took the time to watch some games. I see why McVay values him highly. He looked insanely good running outside-zone plays in college. He's quick to the corner, and when he sees the crease, he plants his foot and explodes. He rips off big chunks with easy. He has instant acceleration.

He's a compact runner with a well-built frame at 5'8" 208 pounds. He doesn't have a lot of elusiveness, so he's a guy who won't create something out of nothing if you allow penetration. However, when he gets moving, he's not easy to tackle. He has impressive contact balance when moving. When you combine that with his speed, him being a small target, and his physicality, he'll break more tackles than you expect. Henderson also finishes runs with authority when he gets going. My one big complaint with him as a runner is that I don't think he's patient enough. He doesn't anticipate what will happen and use that to create seams. He sees it and goes instead of creating it himself (like elite runners can).

In the passing game, he's a very sure-handed player with speed to burn. He'll have to get a better feel for route running and attacking coverages. He also needs to improve as a blocker. He has the strength, frame, and physicality, but the skill isn't there. All in all, I understand why they chose Henderson. He fits the scheme well.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
I'm confused do we not want to keep Gurley fresh? Did we not noticed how great it was having 2 good RB in the playoffs vs Dallas?
Ya I'd like to keep him fresh but we also kept him fresh/sit out for 2 months last year and he didn't show for the biggest game of the year. When you give a RB 45 million guaranteed, you're expecting him to be a workhorse, not worrying about load management.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
With Henderson widely seen as somebody who would go in the first two rounds, I didn't even watch him before the Draft (couldn't watch everyone). I just took the time to watch some games. I see why McVay values him highly. He looked insanely good running outside-zone plays in college. He's quick to the corner, and when he sees the crease, he plants his foot and explodes. He rips off big chunks with easy. He has instant acceleration.

He's a compact runner with a well-built frame at 5'8" 208 pounds. He doesn't have a lot of elusiveness, so he's a guy who won't create something out of nothing if you allow penetration. However, when he gets moving, he's not easy to tackle. He has impressive contact balance when moving. When you combine that with his speed, him being a small target, and his physicality, he'll break more tackles than you expect. Henderson also finishes runs with authority when he gets going. My one big complaint with him as a runner is that I don't think he's patient enough. He doesn't anticipate what will happen and use that to create seams. He sees it and goes instead of creating it himself (like elite runners can).

In the passing game, he's a very sure-handed player with speed to burn. He'll have to get a better feel for route running and attacking coverages. He also needs to improve as a blocker. He has the strength, frame, and physicality, but the skill isn't there. All in all, I understand why they chose Henderson. He fits the scheme well.
Same phrase I used, contact balance. He has such a tilt, and is generating so much momentum, and short area speed, he just, kind of, bounces off of tackles. We will use him in the passing game, and folks, this pick was as much of an admission to the Kamara's of the world, how hard they are to cover, and McVay wanted him some of that. This was his pick, I guarantee it. Not a backup, but a true change of pace guy. Something we have always wanted, thought we could get in Davis, Kelley, or Dunbar, who never was able to play for us.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Kelly hadn’t mastered the pass protection. He seemed to be favored over Davis. Davis has fumblitis too. He’s likely out.

Natson just isnt that affective. And he lost the Eagles game with a bizarre cough up. Cooper was better. Natson is too small. I hope Henderson or Kelly can take the return jobs.

EasyE

Starter
He is kinda small to not have any wiggle. He is 5 9 200lbs and runs upright like steven jackson. He wont be the #2 back... He will probably be a gadget/change of pace back like tavon austin... Lol looks like he can catch better than tavon tho. I see he rarely gets caught from behind and holds the ball high and tight. But it concerns me when on the sideline he doesnt put the ball to the sideline

i do see the SJ39 comparison in style...kinda has that short stepping high center of gravity thing. but as Jrry32 and others have said, is suprisingly hard to tackle. SJ39 did not have the greatest balance. This kid seems to bounce around like a pinball and stay upright

EasyE

Starter

you mentioned his lack of patience that i also see....kinda feels the need to "get all i can right now"...i guess that can be called " explosiveness.

he also kinda reminds me of a smaller Herschel Walker in running style