Darrell Henderson's college coach raves about RB's fit with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Wow. Explosive player, has a nose for the endzone. With him and Gurley the Rams will always have a home run threat on the field.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm warming up to the Henderson pick. If he's anything like Kamara, we got ourselves a steal.

Ram65

Legend
McVay finally gets his change of pace back with hands that should be around for years.

Didn't see his return skills on video. I guess with his speed and quickness he could be a solid returner. That could get him 4-6 touches a game.

Wonder how fast he can pick up the offense?

Well, I looked up his wonderlic score that was leaked. It does not mean he can't learn the offense but, 12 is low. They should have a football wonderlic test. Hopefully, by mid season he knows the offense enough to be able to get some touches. I guess 4-5 a game. Interesting pick that obviously the Rams feel strongly about.

https://thebiglead.com/2019/04/22/leaked-wonderlic-nfl-scores/
Running Back
34 Alec Ingold (re-test; scored 32 the first time)
30 Justice Hill
25 Damien Harris
22 Bryce Love
21 Qadree Ollison
20 Josh Jacobs
18 Sam Seonbuchner
14 Chris James
12 Darrell Henderson

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Doesn't remind me of Herschel Walker at all. Herschel would usually square his shoulders so defenders couldn't gage if he was going left or right. Henderson just charges the hole and bounces, reminds me a lot more of Gurley at 100% than Herschel or Canidate (a joke, right?). Can't wait to see him on the field in horns.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm warming up to the Henderson pick. If he's anything like Kamara, we got ourselves a steal.
I just hope he can block.

I was a bit confused why we moved up for him at first.
Then the run on RBs started. I was then impressed. Very savvy move imo

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Man. If you guys keep talking about Trung Candidate, I'm going to go back to bed and cry myself to sleep.

Ram65

Legend
Here’s a fabulous piece on RB Darrell Henderson. A Must see, frankly.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/04/07/watching-tape-with-memphis-rb-darrell-henderson/

Now, couple what you just read and saw with McVay’s presser comment about DH’s “special skill set” and how it could be “useful” in the O. And that McVay has been looking for such unsuccessfully for his first 2 years?

Damn! I’m pumped...

Very good read thanks 43. Here is a quote

DH: That I’m always working to get better. I think I’m good, but I’m always working for improvement. Even if I’m good at something, I’m working to get better at it. I know how to work hard, and I’m going to do that.

Exactly what McVay wants to hear. He says he studies his opponents. Reading his answers he comes off as all about football. He was a high school Wildcat QB and he can throw some. Jet sweeps could be back with the pass option. I think he can pick up enough of the offense to get his touches by mid season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ection-of-rb-was-not-about-todd-gurleys-knee/

McVay: Rams’ selection of RB was not about Todd Gurley’s knee

Posted by Charean Williams on April 27, 2019, 1:46 AM EDT
gettyimages-1093416586-e1551537487679.jpg

The Rams continue to insist that Todd Gurley‘s left knee is fine, and he will continue to be the “focal point” of the offense. But they matched the Lions’ offer to Malcolm Brown this offseason and, on Friday, used a third-round choice on a running back.

Los Angeles selected Memphis running back Darrell Henderson with the 70th overall choice.

Rams coach Sean McVay insisted it had nothing to do with Gurley and everything to do with Henderson.

“Yes. This had to do with his skillset,” McVay said, via quotes distributed by the team. “He was a player that we identified as a unique playmaker. He can obviously so some things as a runner, but the versatility that he provides and some of the things that he can do are what was so enticing about him for us. You see the explosiveness — over 8 yards a carry. There’s a lot of good things that you’d seen with what he’s done and his résumé at Memphis. We’re excited to get him in here and get to work and really learn under Todd and Malcolm.”

Gurley missed the final two regular-season games with “knee inflammation” before gaining 118 yards from scrimmage against the Cowboys in the divisional round. He then played a complementary role the rest of the way.

The Rams have talked about managing Gurley’s workload, while keeping him a mainstay in the offense.

“Like we have said all along, we anticipate Todd being a huge part of this like he has been the last couple of years,” McVay said. “As far as managing the workload, those are things that we talk about with Todd and as you continue to get educated on, is that something that we should do for the long haul or something that is or isn’t going to affect Todd most importantly and how does that affect our team? But we added a really good playmaker was a big thing.”

Gurley has averaged 326 touches per season over the past three seasons.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I think we will see a return of the jet sweep with this guy. imho Henderson is a tavon replacement only far better.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't see the Trung comparison at all. Trung didn't catch the ball or wasn't used in their passing game at Arizona and while he put up yards didn't do it at a per carry average like Henderson at all.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Was watching Good Morning Football just now and Peter Schrager was on discussing our draft. This is what he had to say about Henderson:

“I know the guys in LA. Just wait how they use this Darrel Henderson. They love Todd Gurley he’s not a replacement for Gurley. Henderson might be one of the most dynamic rookie offensive players next season.”

He was excited talking about him. He must know that McVay loves this guy bc he always seems plugged into what the rams are doing.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
What worries me is he a product of his environment, i.e. Memphis offense vs the completion. His backup Tony Pollard averaged 7 yds per carry and had 9 rushing TDS in 2018.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
What worries me is he a product of his environment, i.e. Memphis offense vs the completion. His backup Tony Pollard averaged 7 yds per carry and had 9 rushing TDS in 2018.

On way way less touches than Henderson. Pollard had 80 rushes and 6 tds.

Henderson had 215 rushes and 22 tds. He averaged almost 2 yards more per rush than Pollard.

Henderson had half the catches as Pollard but averaged 4 yards catch more.

Either way you look at it you can see that he was clearly a more explosive player.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
On way way less touches than Henderson. Pollard had 80 rushes and 6 tds.

Henderson had 215 rushes and 22 tds. He averaged almost 2 yards more per rush than Pollard.

Henderson had half the catches as Pollard but averaged 4 yards catch more.

Either way you look at it you can see that he was clearly a more explosive player.
Yes but his backups number were quite prolific.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This pick feels like trying to add something to the offense, more than contingency planning for Gurley.

It sure sounds like it anyway... McVay sees something he could use to help the entire engine.