Cuts/ Trades / News from around the league

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pair that with false start Alex Barron who was a beast when he wanted to be, but rarely wanted to be. The reason for the Rams poor records could easily be traced back to their horrible offensive lines.

Alex Barron
Jason Smith
Greg Robinson

It's clear we have a type.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
That's the toughest thing about the draft. You just can't measure heart. Some guys just have that will in them that doesn't allow them to fail. Other guys are just in it to collect a paycheck.

That's what I love about Cooper Kupp. I think he's another guy like Whitworth. He wants it more than everybody else.
Yeah, I'm liking what I've seen so far from Kupp. I'm looking forward to watching him play. For keeps...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The good ole days. We spend a bunch of money on Jacob Bell and Jason Brown, who both mail it in. We have Incognito and Greco who developed into quality OLs, and we let both go. We stick with Setterstrom who lived in the training room.

A+ talent evaluation at work. Then again, Incognito and Greco probably would have sucked if they had stayed because Steve Loney was absolutely incompetent.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention the great Adam Goldberg. You could almost guarantee that he was going backwards on every play, run or pass.
You had to say his name. Now, I'll have nightmares.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I told my GF, a Cowboys fan

Now see, there's your problem right there. :sneaky:

None of that matters if you lack the desire and work ethic to put your God given talents to work.

To be sure, but remember that when you're young and have millions in the bank, that earlier motivation to excel can slip away from certain types. The players @jrry32 listed above may have fallen into that trap.

I'm guessing it's tough for scouts and GM's to measure that intangible quality of a hard work ethic even after a player's bank account has been fattened. Hope Aaron Donald doesn't succumb to that once he's paid.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now see, there's your problem right there. :sneaky:

To be sure, but remember that when you're young and have millions in the bank, that earlier motivation to excel can slip away from certain types. The players @jrry32 listed above may have fallen into that trap.

I'm guessing it's tough for scouts and GM's to measure that intangible quality of a hard work ethic even after their bank accounts are fattened. Hope Aaron Donald doesn't succumb to that once he's paid.

Donald seems like the type of guy who can't accept losing. I think we purged those guys from our roster (Britt, Quick, G-Rob, etc.).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

How did those people even get jobs in the NFL? If they couldn't tell Goldberg was a replacement-level player, they were not competent to be Pop Warner evaluators, much less NFL evaluators.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Donald seems like the type of guy who can't accept losing. I think we purged those guys from our roster (Britt, Quick, G-Rob, etc.).

AD is only 26 and heading into the direction of being an extremely wealthy young man. Youth and money: a dangerous combination unless one is mature enough to handle it.

The good news is that he hasn't been in any trouble, like shooting himself in the foot at a strip club or beating up some defenseless woman. Let's hope you're right and that he stays like the good, young man he seems to be.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alex Barron
Jason Smith
Greg Robinson

I don't think Barron was their choice. He was supposed to go a couple of picks earlier to the saints but they went with another lt, whose name escapes me, so the rams had to settle for Barron.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I don't think Barron was their choice. He was supposed to go a couple of picks earlier to the saints but they went with another lt, whose name escapes me, so the rams had to settle for Barron.

I believe it was Brown LT from Oklahoma.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They picked him. Jammal Brown?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They needed a lt. Slim pickings.

That's an even worse reason to pick a guy than "we liked him, but we were wrong." Plus, there were three quality OTs who went later in that draft (Roos, Stewart, and Herremans) and a lot of good interior OLs. It's kind of amazing how good we were at bungling drafts. Even when we got it right (ex. Incognito), we'd get it wrong.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's an even worse reason to pick a guy than "we liked him, but we were wrong." Plus, there were three quality OTs who went later in that draft (Roos, Stewart, and Herremans) and a lot of good interior OLs. It's kind of amazing how good we were at bungling drafts. Even when we got it right (ex. Incognito), we'd get it wrong.

did they have good reasons for picking a majority of the players they picked back then? the worst pick i think was kennedy because they hardly looked at him as they thought he was going top 5. he freefalled straight into their lap and because they didn't do their homework on him they happily picked him. the teams above them worked out he had zero motor and must have laughed when the rams called his number.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alex Barron had the tools to be great..His wingspan was freakish, but he fancied himself a basketball player and could have cared less about football...except for the paychecks...

FRO

Legend
...and Whitworth busts his ace out there like he's a UDFA just trying to earn a roster spot.

I told my GF, a Cowboys fan, that she needed to pick a favorite Rams player so I could get her a Jersey to wear at games. After the balls out sprint by Whitworth chasing down Ingram on the fumble recovery, I told her that he's the elder statesman showing the young bucks how it's done. She made her choice right then and there. I'm thinking to get one myself as well. I had purchased a #99 jersey but I sent it back. 7 is my hockey jersey number but I have worn 77 when 7 was taken. Yeah, I think I'll get two...
Thought the same thing. It's a preseason game and the guy was bringing it. Loved it. I'll take 53 of those guys on my roster.

FRO

Legend
Alex Barron
Jason Smith
Greg Robinson

Yeah uber athletic guys who's heart really isn't into it. I'll separate Barron from the other two, because he actually showed he could play in the league and at a high level. Problem is he only played at that level when he felt like it. Had he dedicated himself fully and was passionate about his job he would have been a consistent all pro at minimum. The other two came from pretty gimmicky college offenses and never showed the ability to transition to the NFL. It really sucks that the Rams selected OTs high in the first round and not a single one of the stuck.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Yeah uber athletic guys who's heart really isn't into it. I'll separate Barron from the other two, because he actually showed he could play in the league and at a high level. Problem is he only played at that level when he felt like it. Had he dedicated himself fully and was passionate about his job he would have been a consistent all pro at minimum. The other two came from pretty gimmicky college offenses and never showed the ability to transition to the NFL. It really sucks that the Rams selected OTs high in the first round and not a single one of the stuck.

To be fair, I don't think Eugene Monroe nor Jamaal Brown lived up to their draft status, either.

Who was the last OP? Gotta be Joe Thomas, right?