Cuts/ Trades / News from around the league

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Probably not. He had some major technical issues and confidence issues coming out. Vikings tossed him into the fire too early. I don't think you're going to be able to fix him. And if you can't fix him, he's not a guy you want anywhere near the field. At best, I'd sign him after the season to try and develop him during the off-season and camp.

Yeah - well Flowers isn't exactly playing at a pro bowl level either just yet. Gurley was a good pick, huh?

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
T.J.Clemmings has been cut by the Vikings. Was bad a LT for the vikings last season, but may be someone the Rams look at for RT.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah - well Flowers isn't exactly playing at a pro bowl level either just yet. Gurley was a good pick, huh?

Flowers, like Clemmings, had major technical issues that he just hasn't been able to overcome. I'm very relieved we picked Gurley. Rumor was that we liked him. Yuck.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Flowers, like Clemmings, had major technical issues that he just hasn't been able to overcome. I'm very relieved we picked Gurley. Rumor was that we liked him. Yuck.

I still think Flowers was the pick if he was there at 10 - no matter what Snisher says about it.

The other option there was the softy out of Stanford - Peat. He hasn't worked out either. Drafting OL has been tough sledding.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still think Flowers was the pick if he was there at 10 - no matter what Snisher says about it.

The other option there was the softy out of Stanford - Peat. He hasn't worked out either. Drafting OL has been tough sledding.

I think Peat is doing pretty well in NO as a guard. God, what a terrible pick Flowers would have been. Combining G-Rob with another G-Rob at RT. Woof.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I would agree with you on drafting a couple of swing OT's in the 2018 draft.

You knew I would join here in this Saffold comment..;) Rodger has suffered many injuries in his 8 seasons but his 3 most significant injuries that required surgery, missed major amounts of time & resulted in IR did not occurred when he was on the field @ OT. The 2 shoulder reconstruction surgeries to his left & right shoulders happened when he was starting OG, The 3rd was the pectoral tear was when he was working out in the training facility.

If the RT post continues to be our weak link in pass protection & keeps getting Goff smashed & pressured then you have to stop that ......Saffold goes to RT until Andrew Donnal is healthy. Kromer's interior reserve OL'ers can easily plug the vacant LG post for Saffold.
I really thought this would be the year Donnal would be a factor, too bad that he's been hurt, especially because the right side has been so suspect. We need help over there. Weakest part of the team, IMO. I didn't think that coming in.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
https://www.google.com/search?newwi...1.64.psy-ab..0.4.384...0i13i5i30k1j35i39k1.yk

John Patrick Greco, Jr. is an American football guard for the of the National Football League. He was selected in the
third round of the 2008 NFL draft by the St. Louis Rams. He played college football at the University of Toledo. Wikipedia

Born: March 24, 1985 (age 32), Youngstown, OH
Height: 6′ 4″
Weight: 315 lbs
Education: University of Toledo
Current team: Cleveland Browns (#77 / Offensive lineman)
Parents: John Greco, Melanie Greco

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/john-greco-3144/
John Greco signed a 4 year, $6,420,000 contract with the Cleveland Browns, including $1,300,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,605,000. In 2017, Greco will earn a base salary of $3,075,000, while carrying a cap hit of $3,075,000.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/07/john_greco_is_back_and_ready_t.html

Greco wasn't bothered by offseason offensive line signings
BEREA, Ohio -- Browns offensive lineman John Greco saw his 2016 season end after Lisfranc surgery and, to make things worse, he watched his team spend big money on a player in Kevin Zeitler who plays his position -- right guard.

“I try not to let it bother me and it really didn’t,” Greco said on Monday. “I understand things. At that point, I was focused on getting back on the field because at that point I wasn’t. and there was really no timeframe in mind. So I was just like, hey, gotta get healthy before you can do anything else. So that was kind of my mindset.”

Greco wouldn’t put a percentage on how healthy he is, but he said being 100 percent by Week 1 is “absolutely” realistic.

It doesn’t take an advanced degree in roster management (Is that a thing?) to know, though, that Greco, at age 32 and coming off of an injury, is going to have to fight for a spot on the roster this season. Outside of signing Zeitler and extending left guard Joel Bitonio -- two spots Greco can play -- the Browns also signed JC Tretter at center, which is where Greco has spent time filling when starters have gone down.

Perhaps Greco’s stiffest competition will come from Spencer Drango, who can play both guard positions, and Austin Reiter, who showed promise at center last season in the one game he played against Washington. While Greco is older and more expensive than those two, the advantage he brings is the ability to play all three positions along the interior of the line, a luxury in the numbers-strapped world of NFL rosters.

“If you’re not a starter, versatility is everything,” Greco said. “Even when you are a starter, sometimes you’re looked as, this guy’s a starter, but he can also in a pinch play any other position.”

It’s way too early to figure out numbers, but Greco would allow the Browns to have seven offensive linemen on their 53-man roster and have all five line positions covered two deep. That will make the battle for the backup offensive line spots interesting well through August.

Greco’s feelings on the revamped line is one thing we learned about today at Browns training camp. Here are some more:

By Dan Labbe, cleveland.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Injury, age and new signings made him expendable. Rams never gave him a real chance when drafted. I don't know what he has remaining in the tank. Rams can look at preseason tape.
Our front office thought that a player, whose name I swore never to mention, was better than Greco. I got into a cat fight with Tony Softli over Greco, who Softli told me that he didn't have the mentality to play in the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our front office thought that a player, whose name I swore never to mention, was better than Greco. I got into a cat fight with Tony Softli over Greco, who Softli told me that he didn't have the mentality to play in the NFL.

The good ole days. We spend a bunch of money on Jacob Bell and Jason Brown, who both mail it in. We have Incognito and Greco who developed into quality OLs, and we let both go. We stick with Setterstrom who lived in the training room.

A+ talent evaluation at work. Then again, Incognito and Greco probably would have sucked if they had stayed because Steve Loney was absolutely incompetent.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention the great Adam Goldberg. You could almost guarantee that he was going backwards on every play, run or pass.

FRO

Legend
I think Peat is doing pretty well in NO as a guard. God, what a terrible pick Flowers would have been. Combining G-Rob with another G-Rob at RT. Woof.
I think that goes to show you that size and athleticism while nice aren't the end all be all for linemen. Whitworth isn't the most physically gifted linemen in the league but has been a top LT due to smarts and technique.

FRO

Legend
The good ole days. We spend a bunch of money on Jacob Bell and Jason Brown, who both mail it in. We have Incognito and Greco who developed into quality OLs, and we let both go. We stick with Setterstrom who lived in the training room.

A+ talent evaluation at work. Then again, Incognito and Greco probably would have sucked if they had stayed because Steve Loney was absolutely incompetent.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention the great Adam Goldberg. You could almost guarantee that he was going backwards on every play, run or pass.
Pair that with false start Alex Barron who was a beast when he wanted to be, but rarely wanted to be. The reason for the Rams poor records could easily be traced back to their horrible offensive lines.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Alex Barron

Here's a guy with all the physical skills and size along with a Wonderlic score of 19. The #1 pick for the Rams in 2005. He hops from team to team, hasn't played in a game since 2010 and is now out of football at age 34. SMH

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I think that goes to show you that size and athleticism while nice aren't the end all be all for linemen. Whitworth isn't the most physically gifted linemen in the league but has been a top LT due to smarts and technique.
...and Whitworth busts his ace out there like he's a UDFA just trying to earn a roster spot.

I told my GF, a Cowboys fan, that she needed to pick a favorite Rams player so I could get her a Jersey to wear at games. After the balls out sprint by Whitworth chasing down Ingram on the fumble recovery, I told her that he's the elder statesman showing the young bucks how it's done. She made her choice right then and there. I'm thinking to get one myself as well. I had purchased a #99 jersey but I sent it back. 7 is my hockey jersey number but I have worn 77 when 7 was taken. Yeah, I think I'll get two...

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Here's a guy with all the physical skills and size along with a Wonderlic score of 19. The #1 pick for the Rams in 2005. He hops from team to team, hasn't played in a game since 2010 and is now out of football at age 34. SMH
None of that matters if you lack the desire and work ethic to put your God given talents to work.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
...and Whitworth bust his ace out there like he's a UDFA just trying to earn a roster spot.

I told my GF, a Cowboys fan, that she needed to pick a favorite Rams player so I could get her a Jersey to wear at games. After the balls out sprint by Whitworth chasing down Ingram on the fumble recovery, I told her that he's the elder statesman showing the young bucks how it's done. She made her choice right then and there. I'm thinking to get one myself as well. I had purchased a #99 jersey but I sent it back. 7 is my hockey jersey number but I have worn 77 when 7 was taken. Yeah, I think I'll get two...

That's the toughest thing about the draft. You just can't measure heart. Some guys just have that will in them that doesn't allow them to fail. Other guys are just in it to collect a paycheck.

That's what I love about Cooper Kupp. I think he's another guy like Whitworth. He wants it more than everybody else.