Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
@12intheBox
@XXXIVwin
I apologize for my going over the top with both of you in this thread, was not cool.
Hope you all had a great weekend.
Go Rams

Its cool, man. We all to need to relearn (or just learn) civility again. The internet - or maybe just the time we live in - has made conversations a lot more heated than they used to be. I have pretty thick skin (criminal defense attorney) so no need to worry bout me. I appreciate the apology though - and I too am sorry if I crossed any lines myself.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
@12intheBox
@XXXIVwin
I apologize for my going over the top with both of you in this thread, was not cool.
Hope you all had a great weekend.
Go Rams
Thanks much for writing this post, dieter.

It's so easy for all of us to get heated with this stuff... it's an unbelievably complex problem, and there are such grave consequences no matter what we do.

bluecoconuts

Legend
My work is beginning to phase people back in slowly... Thankfully. It's mostly just nice to have something else to do.

We're still adjusting to how we operate which is good. Students wont be back until probably the fall, there's a chance they remain online for the fall term though, which I wouldn't mind, it is what it is at this point.

Starting in June we'll be doing a week on and a week off though, my guess is that'll go through July as well, but we'll see. Basically we return in a very limited fashion and work 5 hours during the week, we'll do our labs and update experiments and all that.

We already use a lot of PPE in the lab anyway, the sterilization process is already the normal so no worries there. We'll only be on campus for about 5 hours a day, and we have to keep all the windows and stuff open, as well as all the social distancing stuff, we'll see how it all goes.

The campus is undergoing a pretty decent shift in how they run things as a response to this. Less people in close proximity to each other in general seems to be the new normal. I've also heard they're shifting it around so hourly employees just clock in at their work station. I know some other faculty members wondered if that meant they were going to install some sort of work management tracker on our computers, but I doubt it.

Seattle is starting to very slowly open the door, we'll see how it goes.

I just want to do whatever is needed to give us the best hope at football in the fall.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
My work is beginning to phase people back in slowly... Thankfully. It's mostly just nice to have something else to do.

We're still adjusting to how we operate which is good. Students wont be back until probably the fall, there's a chance they remain online for the fall term though, which I wouldn't mind, it is what it is at this point.

Starting in June we'll be doing a week on and a week off though, my guess is that'll go through July as well, but we'll see. Basically we return in a very limited fashion and work 5 hours during the week, we'll do our labs and update experiments and all that.

We already use a lot of PPE in the lab anyway, the sterilization process is already the normal so no worries there. We'll only be on campus for about 5 hours a day, and we have to keep all the windows and stuff open, as well as all the social distancing stuff, we'll see how it all goes.

The campus is undergoing a pretty decent shift in how they run things as a response to this. Less people in close proximity to each other in general seems to be the new normal. I've also heard they're shifting it around so hourly employees just clock in at their work station. I know some other faculty members wondered if that meant they were going to install some sort of work management tracker on our computers, but I doubt it.

Seattle is starting to very slowly open the door, we'll see how it goes.

I just want to do whatever is needed to give us the best hope at football in the fall.

N.C. courts reopen June 1 - although with significant limitations in terms of the number of people in each room. They still haven’t figured out jury trials yet - that one is a pickle.

Our jails have all been as careful as they can be - with the practical effect that inmates are effectively in solitary which is a disaster. No good answers there either other than letting everyone go.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
However, the argument I cannot abide is the one put forth by "anti-vaxxers." The "anti-vaxxer" position is both ignorant and dangerous. The world is waiting for (approx) January 2021 for a vaccine to become available to truly save us from this misery, and rescue BOTH the economy and countless lives. And yet some people are against the one thing (a vaccine) nearly everyone can agree upon?
I think one needs to be careful when using terms like "anti-vaxxer" and ignorant.
A vaccine is in no way a cure, take for instance the seasonal flu vaccine. Scientists have been working on this for decades and yet the most recent version had only a 45% effective rate. In addition, by the CDC own admission, a vaccine requires several years of testing before being distributed to determine side effects, which particularly in children can have devastating ones.
So forgive us folks who are not willing to sacrifice our children and/or ourselves by taking a vaccine for a virus that has affected 1/2 of a % of the population, and may only even work on less than 50% of those who take it.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think one needs to be careful when using terms like "anti-vaxxer" and ignorant.
A vaccine is in no way a cure, take for instance the seasonal flu vaccine. Scientists have been working on this for decades and yet the most recent version had only a 45% effective rate. In addition, by the CDC own admission, a vaccine requires several years of testing before being distributed to determine side effects, which particularly in children can have devastating ones.
So forgive us folks who are not willing to sacrifice our children and/or ourselves by taking a vaccine for a virus that has affected 1/2 of a % of the population, and may only even work on less than 50% of those who take it.

I’m less concerned with families who opt not to take a flu shot. It’s the ones who don’t give their kids the measles vaccine or the like that you’re kind of forced to deal with.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
N.C. courts reopen June 1 - although with significant limitations in terms of the number of people in each room. They still haven’t figured out jury trials yet - that one is a pickle.

Our jails have all been as careful as they can be - with the practical effect that inmates are effectively in solitary which is a disaster. No good answers there either other than letting everyone go.

I really appreciate those jurisdictions that for fiscal or compassionate reasons have released non-violent offenders and/or those who are accused of non-violent offenses and simply couldn't afford bail.

A lot of those who run jails for cities/counties really don't want the effects of having short timers on full time lockdown. Makes it hard to run a jail as jails tend to not have the same levels of security as prisons or penitentiaries do. Puts guards and staff in increased jeopardy as well as the inmates.

Jury trials are gonna be tough unless they go to Zoom or remote trials and I can imagine that there would be challenges to any tech change... not sure there are good short term answers there.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m less concerned with families who opt not to take a flu shot. It’s the ones who don’t give their kids the measles vaccine or the like that you’re kind of forced to deal with.
Well the forced issue is something. Covid is affecting merely .005% of the US population, with several categories impacted much more than others. Any suggestion that it should be a requirement for all, that children will need before being admitted back in school etc, is a hard no for me.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
OK guys. I had to go through and delete some posts that were political and some that quoted political posts.

Don't take offense to the deletions... we don't allow politics here.

Honestly... I have had almost no interest in this thread, so I'm sure that I've missed some posts that should probably also be deleted. I don't want to have to go back and read through this thing.

Please do us all a solid and keep the politics out of here. This pandemic can be discussed without bringing politics into the discussion. I'm gonna go ahead and thank you for making sure to do this going forward.

Otherwise I will just end this thread. That would be a shame. Don't let it happen please.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Jury trials are gonna be tough unless they go to Zoom or remote trials and I can imagine that there would be challenges to any tech change... not sure there are good short term answers there.

You can do it, but it'd be expensive. You're likely needing to stick each juror into their own room with a TV screen and a webcam. A computer/zoom setup would likely result in mismanagement.

I am curious if an offender were to invoke their right to a speedy trial how that would play out. UCMJ haven't stopped Courts Martial.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
You can do it, but it'd be expensive. You're likely needing to stick each juror into their own room with a TV screen and a webcam. A computer/zoom setup would likely result in mismanagement.

I am curious if an offender were to invoke their right to a speedy trial how that would play out. UCMJ haven't stopped Courts Martial.

Speedy Trial Jurisprudence is a joke. Has been for some time.

I have a problem with a juror watching the trial from TV. I need to be able to see them - see how they react, have them see the witnesses squirm as they lie - it all has to be in person.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The NRL is about to start again right now. It will be a relief to start watching a sport again.

Fire up your world sports channel.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And they're pumping in the fake crowd noise. Not too bad but sounds like you're watching an episode of Friends.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Un-fucking-real.

Hey, dipshits. While you're firing up your torches, try to maintain that 6 foot barrier. That chick with the potential to have a virus with a 99.8% survival rate may just accidentally breathe in your general vicinity, thereby rendering your utterly useless mask even more utterly useless.

View: https://twitter.com/McauleyHolmes/status/1264721468761481216

While I understand there are human factors to anyones reaction to anything, and while these people may be scared and lashing out, that still doesn't give them the right to treat someone with out any decency or respect. So, fuck those people

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
While I understand there are human factors to anyones reaction to anything, and while these people may be scared and lashing out, that still doesn't give them the right to treat someone with out any decency or respect. So, fuck those people
My favorite part is when the guy who's wearing the "bandana mask" takes it off to yell at her.
Fucking Einstein.

And that first woman sounds like a fucking Peacock.
GEDOWGEDOWGEDOW!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
My favorite part is when the guy who's wearing the "bandana mask" takes it off to yell at her.
Fucking Einstein.

And that first woman sounds like a fucking Peacock.
GEDOWGEDOWGEDOW!

Dude i had that shit happen to me.
To a lesser degree

Standing outside to get into a Whole Foods - with a fucking mask mind you - and the guy ahead of me keeps turning around, I figured to ensure I was 6ft behind him. So the SB sun is scorching and I move into the shade - and I can see the guy getting nervy, but I’m now more than 6ft. So then some Korean lady exits the store and rams her grocery cart into my leg and I push it off me. Well that triggered the guy who starts to say “I wasn’t going to say anything” and proceeds to lecture me on my “social distancing.”
I just listened to him and when he was done I said “You got some firm thighs” and he snaps and runs to the front of the line to complain to the chick directing traffic. He told her I was sexually harassing him — It was pretty awesome.
What made it even better was that when we were in the store I saw him standing next to two other people in a skinny aisle debating which pesto sauce to get - oblivious to those standing 10 inches beside him
Fucking loons

Oh - here is a pic of the social distancing cop himself

24845DF0-07B2-4E7E-A810-B78DEEEA8644.jpeg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Dude i had that shit happen to me.
To a lesser degree

Standing outside to get into a Whole Foods - with a fucking mask mind you - and the guy ahead of me keeps turning around, I figured to ensure I was 6ft behind him. So the SB sun is scorching and I move into the shade - and I can see the guy getting nervy, but I’m now more than 6ft. So then some Korean lady exits the store and rams her grocery cart into my leg and I push it off me. Well that triggered the guy who starts to say “I wasn’t going to say anything” and proceeds to lecture me on my “social distancing.”
I just listened to him and when he was done I said “You got some firm thighs” and he snaps and runs to the front of the line to complain to the chick directing traffic. He told her I was sexually harassing him — It was pretty awesome.
What made it even better was that when we were in the store I saw him standing next to two other people in a skinny aisle debating which pesto sauce to get - oblivious to those standing 10 inches beside him
Fucking loons

Oh - here is a pic of the social distancing cop himself

View attachment 36719
CLASSIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.