Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Well....

We were having similar debates about masks almost a hundred years ago, during the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918.

D1923C6F-B3E4-4B66-A7E9-EFFB9AA54FBF.jpeg

Those who didn’t wear masks were called “mask slackers.” And men needed more convincing than women to wear them, so men were considered “the weak link in hygienic discipline.”

On the other side of the debate: those who formed the “Anti-Mask League.” Sheesh.

An amusing headline:

“Influenza Veils Set New Fashion: Seattle Women Wearing Fine Mesh With Chiffon Border to Ward Off Malady.”

Here’s a couple links:

But yeah, I’m with Mack, its a shame it’s so difficult to convince ppl to wear masks during a viral pandemic.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a chance
They going to ID folks entering these states? Its not feasible.
out of state plates will draw a lot more attention, but yes it would be futile to ID people as they come in. hopefully it wont go back to another lockdown or whatever cute political term is used though.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
The media has been reporting a lot on the surge of new cases recently.

Has there also been a surge in deaths?
Or are more people getting it, and recovering?

I just feel like we don’t get as much information on what is most important.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The media has been reporting a lot on the surge of new cases recently.

Has there also been a surge in deaths?
Or are more people getting it, and recovering?

I just feel like we don’t get as much information on what is most important.

126,000 + dead in the US right now

And I agree that the death toll is the more important number, and the number of hospitalizations is also relevant, but the number of total cases really matters to the extent that it gives us a sense of how likely we are to come in contact with it. People who live in Florida or Texas - much more likely to come in contact with it than someone in Maine, for instance. It should give us a sense that we should be taking measures to slow the spread - to any extent we can.

Catching it is like spinning a wheel. Most of the landing spots on the wheel are completely harmless, but there are a few that have pretty dire consequences, and of course - there is the death spot. I don't want to spin that wheel myself, I sure don't want my family to spin it, and I hope that the world sees as few spins as possible from here on out.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It would just be impossible logistically

Impossible to get 100% of the people who come in? Absolutely correct.

But they could certainly grab and quarantine every passenger arriving on a flight pretty easily. They could also set up checkpoints on the highways coming in (somewhat less likely).

fearsomefour

Legend

But they could certainly grab and quarantine every passenger arriving on a flight pretty easily. They could also set up checkpoints on the highways coming in (somewhat less likely).
And harass people who are just out and about......”show me your papers!!”

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

There are 162 public airports in New York, 10 of which are major. Another 30+ methods of public entry via bus/train/boat.
Business travel domestic is growing incrementally which would have residents part of re-entry.
By auto? Forget it. Access to NJ/NY state along the Pennsylvania border has so many points of entry.
And as far as airline travel is concerned, it should be the responsibility of the departing airline to test, not the arrival.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Setting all news outlets aside thus removing any personal fundamental association

And please spare reasons, explanations or regurgitated “studies” (for the love of God we’ve already heard them all)

Does anyone here believe this event was Man made primarily from a lab?

Id hope we limit answers to Yes or No ...and only yes or no (please) otherwise this may go downhill fast, no proof needed to validate your answer, no call for senseless debate, just a simple yes or no Or pass

My belief is Yes

Again, it bears repeating we have already heard from every conceivable side the 411 put forth, no call to be educated (on this thread that is) any further on this question while giving a simple one word opinion

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
There are 162 public airports in New York, 10 of which are major. Another 30+ methods of public entry via bus/train/boat.
Business travel domestic is growing incrementally which would have residents part of re-entry.
By auto? Forget it. Access to NJ/NY state along the Pennsylvania border has so many points of entry.
And as far as airline travel is concerned, it should be the responsibility of the departing airline to test, not the arrival.

Not sure the airline would see it that way.

And I agree - it’s a mammoth of an undertaking. One thing that makes it easier is that it isn’t a screening process - everyone on the plane goes to Q - no exceptions. We know you were in Florida, that’s all we need to know.

But what does that mean for the pilots? Flight attendants? if they were only on the tarmac does that count?

And where will all of these travelers quarantine?

I think we all know that this is a shot across the bow more than it is an actual plan. They are saying don’t come here - you aren’t welcome.

And harass people who are just out and about......”show me your papers!!”

I use that line all the time moving to suppress evidence from checkpoints.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Setting all news outlets aside thus removing any personal fundamental association

And please spare reasons, explanations or regurgitated “studies” (for the love of God we’ve already heard them all)

Does anyone here believe this event was Man made primarily from a lab?

Id hope we limit answers to Yes or No ...and only yes or no (please) otherwise this may go downhill fast, no proof needed to validate your answer, no call for senseless debate, just a simple yes or no Or pass

My belief is Yes

Again, it bears repeating we have already heard from every conceivable side the 411 put forth, no call to be educated any further on this question while giving an opinion

no.

but really, you just want an answer and not a discussion? On a discussion board? Maybe posting a poll would be better?

fearsomefour

Legend
That’s crazy.
162 airports? Nuts.
But thinking about it I know of (and I’m not a pilot) of three dirt track airports outside the midsized city I live in.
I would suspect many of the small airports in most places are usually unmanned.
If you need fuel you need to call so the guy can get down there to fuel you up.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not sure the airline would see it that way.

And I agree - it’s a mammoth of an undertaking. One thing that makes it easier is that it isn’t a screening process - everyone on the plane goes to Q - no exceptions. We know you were in Florida, that’s all we need to know.

But what does that mean for the pilots? Flight attendants? if they were only on the tarmac does that count?

And where will all of these travelers quarantine?

I think we all know that this is a shot across the bow more than it is an actual plan. They are saying don’t come here - you aren’t welcome.

I use that line all the time moving to suppress evidence from checkpoints.
I agree.
They are discouraging travel and that’s about it.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
no.

but really, you just want an answer and not a discussion? On a discussion board? Maybe posting a poll would be better?
You are right on the poll thing

We all know where this discussion would go, some things just can’t be discussed here without morphing into blatant ROD policy violation, maybe I’m dick for asking on a discussion board for one word answer, but really Im just curious what most believe here and was hoping the yes or no thing would work

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
You are right on the poll thing

We all know where this discussion would go, some things just can’t be discussed here without morphing into blatant ROD policy violation, maybe I’m dick for asking on a discussion board for one word answer, but really Im just curious what most believe here and was hoping the yes or no thing would work

This thread has certainly bumped the line of political discussion here or there - but we have kept it respectful for the most part.

I’m not sure why this part of the topic would be any different.

if you are open to talking about it - I’d be happy to private message with you on it - but maybe you are just curious in the straw poll and don’t want to know the why - which is fine.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s crazy.
162 airports? Nuts.
But thinking about it I know of (and I’m not a pilot) of three dirt track airports outside the midsized city I live in.
I would suspect many of the small airports in most places are usually unmanned.
If you need fuel you need to call so the guy can get down there to fuel you up.
I was just going down the rabbit hole of how ridiculous this is and how misinformation just gets spread.
Truth of the matter is that there is a "mandatory" quarantine from "hot states" in NY/NJ/Conn, but it has no rules, guidelines, policies or established penalties. Its a joke.
Mayor Cuomo even suggested "random checks" would be performed on people who have entered the state.
That ought to go well....
Basically, its nothing more than an honor system, saying "If you have Corona virus", dont bring it here.
Duh... Thanks Cuomo

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
This thread has certainly bumped the line of political discussion here or there - but we have kept it respectful for the most part.

I’m not sure why this part of the topic would be any different.

if you are open to talking about it - I’d be happy to private message with you on it - but maybe you are just curious in the straw poll and don’t want to know the why - which is fine.
I really appreciate offer, to be honest I didn’t come up with my cynical opinion lightly and Im quite sure you’re firmly entrenched in yours, which is a good thing, it seems now days people are so hell bent on conforming others to their beliefs or else.

At the end of the day, neither opinion can be considered ”fact” at this time, I guess I want to see if I’m a wacko or not :ROFLMAO:

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.