Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, our idiot governor just made masks manidtory in public places like stores....although that is not that well defined.
No tickets for citizens at this time.
Store owners will of course be compelled to refuse service to anyone not wearing a mask.
Requiring a mask 4 months into this is like requiring a condom at the baby shower.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
curious if anyone’s opinion of this virus has changed at all over the last several months.

is it more serious than you originally thought? Not as big of a deal as you originally thought? We’re you right all along and we all should have just listened to you?

Does anyone actually change their mind about anything anymore or was that a thing of the past?

I am becoming less concerned actually

Reason 1
I am now in Lexington Kentucky, actually Versailles KY just a few miles west surrounded by horse ranches. And I have always isolated by nature

Reason 2
There is a leadership vacuum and because of that things are going sideways in more ways than one. And I accept this for what it is. I can’t wish for something that’s not there. And we are seeing the results of that lack of leadership. America may now be on the way to herd immunity

Reason 3
This isn’t going away..... ever. So if it’s the Almighty’s plan to wipe us out who can blame him. This place needs a massive overhaul

Reason 4
The is now toilet paper on the shelves

Reason 5
Like I had said previously on this thread - and was told i was “fear mongering - but 2020 is over. The return date is officially Mid-2021. Even the middle of 2021 is gonna be a slog but it’s when this will sorta level off and we can get back to normal. Believe me, time will pass and the next thing you know this will be behind us

Time is flying for me here since I escaped Santa Barbara hell.

In the meantime, eat well, excercise, have lots of sex, reduce the alcohol, be kind to others, be kind to yourself, take time to be silent, read some books, and I promise you’ll be living a great life regardless of the mayhem that surrounds us and that always has

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
They (NY, NJ) are the highly infected states. Haha.
I could certainly be wrong but I don’t think a governor has a right to restrict travel between states.

it’s an interesting legal question - he certainly cannot stop residents from other states from coming entirely but can he quarantine them and then let them in? I’m sure it will be challenged and we will find out.
My guess is that they can.

fearsomefour

Legend
it’s an interesting legal question - he certainly cannot stop residents from other states from coming entirely but can he quarantine them and then let them in? I’m sure it will be challenged and we will find out.
My guess is that they can.
I agree.
Preventing inner state travel? No.
Putting someone in quarantine for two weeks? Likely yes.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, our idiot governor just made masks manidtory in public places like stores....although that is not that well defined.
No tickets for citizens at this time.
Store owners will of course be compelled to refuse service to anyone not wearing a mask.
Requiring a mask 4 months into this is like requiring a condom at the baby shower.

You also in FL?

I really don't want to argue with anyone, so I'll just repeat myself.

The mask isn't for you. It's to protect OTHERS from you. The mask isn't very good at protecting you unless it's an N95 with excellent seal or better.

The mask isn't for you. It's to protect OTHERS from you.

I dunno why anyone is still hung up on this. The spread can happen when folks are asymptomatic.

If we just protected one another with masks and went 100% hard on masks and social distancing for the next few months, we'd be able to have football.

But, unfortunately, we won't have football because people won't wear masks because they assume that the masks are to protect themselves and when they realize it's crappy protection, they get upset...and then don't wear the mask.

As for all the Karens out there losing their minds over it "depleting their oxygen"...um...no. Surgeons and nurses wear paper masks in the OR for many hours at a time, every day and...no problem. Can it be uncomfortable and take some getting used to? Sure, ya, you betchya. But yeah. Thankfully, I haven't seen anyone here going into all that mess.

But...and I'll say it again... the mask isn't for you. It's to protect others from you.

More simply, IF WE WANT FOOTBALL, we need to be ambassadors for mask wearing...and social distancing, of course.

I want football, so everyone wear a freakin' mask. Seems simple enough.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Also, I'll post the tweets from an indy reporter if anyone is interested, but she's got multiple confirmed sources that the Florida DOH is altering death numbers lower as well as misclassifying COVID deaths as multi-factor pneumonia by the thousands to further open the state for July 4th.

For those in FL, it's bad here and getting worse. Do everything you can to protect yourself because the data is being manipulated.

I hear those that take issue with hospitals charging for COVID due to making more money. I don't know how death is established in each state and can states change their death classifications for people without altering the official death certificates? I dunno the answer beyond that the processes are very different state to state.

If anyone knows or knows someone who does, that'd be good info to have for this discussion because I think we can all agree that all this data manipulation for w/e outcome people are looking for isn't helping.

Let the data be the data. That's how science works. Fake numbers are bad for everyone (I don't mean data adjustment as conforms with experimental norms, I mean falsifying or manipulating data outside of those norms)

Anyway, hope everyone stays safe and we all buckle down because I think if we have football this is our year.

fearsomefour

Legend
You also in FL?

I really don't want to argue with anyone, so I'll just repeat myself.

The mask isn't for you. It's to protect OTHERS from you. The mask isn't very good at protecting you unless it's an N95 with excellent seal or better.

The mask isn't for you. It's to protect OTHERS from you.

I dunno why anyone is still hung up on this. The spread can happen when folks are asymptomatic.

If we just protected one another with masks and went 100% hard on masks and social distancing for the next few months, we'd be able to have football.

But, unfortunately, we won't have football because people won't wear masks because they assume that the masks are to protect themselves and when they realize it's crappy protection, they get upset...and then don't wear the mask.

As for all the Karens out there losing their minds over it "depleting their oxygen"...um...no. Surgeons and nurses wear paper masks in the OR for many hours at a time, every day and...no problem. Can it be uncomfortable and take some getting used to? Sure, ya, you betchya. But yeah. Thankfully, I haven't seen anyone here going into all that mess.

But...and I'll say it again... the mask isn't for you. It's to protect others from you.

More simply, IF WE WANT FOOTBALL, we need to be ambassadors for mask wearing...and social distancing, of course.

I want football, so everyone wear a freakin' mask. Seems simple enough.
Nevada.
Well when the governors statement says bandannas or shirts are acceptable.....well.....it’s meaningless bullshit.
There are plenty of Karen’s running around with their BS on both sides.
I understand what the masks are for and given the info we have it’s largely nonsensical.
You don’t need to educate me about the masks.
Football isn’t going to happen this year.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I still don’t understand the concept of the mask is for others

It makes zero sense
For example - I’m wearing a mask for “others” then that would mean “others” won’t have to wear masks since I am in fact wearing it for them.
And vice versa
Why should I wear a mask if others are wearing a mask for me?

Is this a face mask or a condom? I mean I guess you could argue wearing a condom is really for the woman’s benefit so you don’t get them pregnant. I guess. But you could argue a guy wearing a condom benefits himself by avoiding unwanted pregnancy. After all, he’s not trying to marry this chick. So I’m confused

I mean using this weird idea that masks are for others — are you now telling me a nurse wears a mask when treating covid patients to avoid getting them sick??

You wear a mask so you don’t suck in the covid from droplets !!!

That’s it - enough said and done. Why the insistence? I mean this weird exasperated “I really don't want to argue with anyone, so I'll just repeat myself,” comments

Enough

Wearing a mask is to protect you from inhaling shit or getting spit on - and maybe like a condom it has benefit to others by not spitting on them. But come on - enough with the all caps OTHERS

OTHERS are taking themselves into account like 97% - you know how I know Mack? It’s cause you keep repeating yourself in exasperation as if this idea of “wearing masks for others” is gonna stick. The reason it don’t stick is cause it’s not true. So if 97% are looking after themself when they wear a mask wouldn’t you think wearing a mask is about protecting yourself - then you might wear one

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well, you're just wrong about the masks, but you're making my point for me.

People don't understand HOW the masks are essential, so they aren't wearing them. Mostly, it reinforces the "no one can tell me what to do" mess, but oh well.

We could have had football and we still could if everyone got on the same page.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Well, you're just wrong about the masks, but you're making my point for me.

People don't understand HOW the masks are essential, so they aren't wearing them. Mostly, it reinforces the "no one can tell me what to do" mess, but oh well.

We could have had football and we still could if everyone got on the same page.

Its just sad Mack.

A mask even a cloth one Helps stops the spread from people that are sick and showing symptoms as well as people that are sick and not showing symptoms.

It’s frustrating as hell trying to comprehend people that refuse to protect other humans because they think someone is pissing on their rights.

Where are all those people that said NY and the blue states were the reason for our high case numbers.

I guess shit rolls down hill.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I still don’t understand the concept of the mask is for others

It makes zero sense
For example - I’m wearing a mask for “others” then that would mean “others” won’t have to wear masks since I am in fact wearing it for them.
And vice versa
Why should I wear a mask if others are wearing a mask for me?

Is this a face mask or a condom? I mean I guess you could argue wearing a condom is really for the woman’s benefit so you don’t get them pregnant. I guess. But you could argue a guy wearing a condom benefits himself by avoiding unwanted pregnancy. After all, he’s not trying to marry this chick. So I’m confused

I mean using this weird idea that masks are for others — are you now telling me a nurse wears a mask when treating covid patients to avoid getting them sick??

You wear a mask so you don’t suck in the covid from droplets !!!

That’s it - enough said and done. Why the insistence? I mean this weird exasperated “I really don't want to argue with anyone, so I'll just repeat myself,” comments

Enough

Wearing a mask is to protect you from inhaling shit or getting spit on - and maybe like a condom it has benefit to others by not spitting on them. But come on - enough with the all caps OTHERS

OTHERS are taking themselves into account like 97% - you know how I know Mack? It’s cause you keep repeating yourself in exasperation as if it’s something that’s gonna stick. The reason it don’t stick is cause it’s not true. So if 97% are looking after themself wouldn’t you think wearing a masl is about protecting yourself - then you might wear one. This isn’t communist Vietnam.

Anyway....

No. you wear the mask so that you don't spread the COVID droplets to others.

I keep repeating it because people still don't get it. The role of the mask isn't to seal your face and prevent inhalation. That's why it's repeatedly been put out there that if someone has COVID and you have like a surgical mask, you're only cutting your chances of getting it to 70%. However, if the person with COVID had the mask on, you're chance even without you wearing a mask is down to 5% and if you're both wearing a mask, it's down to 1.5%

COVIDXmission2.jpg

I'm, sorry you don't understand how this is transmitted and the role of masks in preventing the transmission, but you don't and I can only try to help you understand.

I'll let this meme help. I think @bluecoconuts posted it, but I'll repost it if so because it's so clear.
460x1240.jpg

Do nurses and doctors wear masks to prevent making patients sick? YES!!!!

That's the point. Especially because they see multiple patients, if they become infected, then they run the risk of making everyone they come into contact sick. They wear these same masks in surgery...to prevent spreading their germs TO the patient. The role of these masks is to catch the water droplets.

As a matter of fact, in surgery, the surgeon is trained to sneeze straight ahead... expressly because if they turn their head, the air and water droplets that exit the side of the mask would then be pointed at the sterile field and area being operated on. That's bad.

I realize I come across as jerky. I know. It's not meant to be that way and I mean that. I love you all and want all of us to get through this with nary a scratch.

But yeah... hope this helps with anything you weren't clear on.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
No. you wear the mask so that you don't spread the COVID droplets to others.

I keep repeating it because people still don't get it. The role of the mask isn't to seal your face and prevent inhalation. That's why it's repeatedly been put out there that if someone has COVID and you have like a surgical mask, you're only cutting your chances of getting it to 70%. However, if the person with COVID had the mask on, you're chance even without you wearing a mask is down to 5% and if you're both wearing a mask, it's down to 1.5%

View attachment 37027

I'm, sorry you don't understand how this is transmitted and the role of masks in preventing the transmission, but you don't and I can only try to help you understand.

I'll let this meme help. I think @bluecoconuts posted it, but I'll repost it if so because it's so clear.
460x1240.jpg

Do nurses and doctors wear masks to prevent making patients sick? YES!!!!

That's the point. Especially because they see multiple patients, if they become infected, then they run the risk of making everyone they come into contact sick. They wear these same masks in surgery...to prevent spreading their germs TO the patient. The role of these masks is to catch the water droplets.

As a matter of fact, in surgery, the surgeon is trained to sneeze straight ahead... expressly because if they turn their head, the air and water droplets that exit the side of the mask would then be pointed at the sterile field and area being operated on. That's bad.

I realize I come across as jerky. I know. It's not meant to be that way and I mean that. I love you all and want all of us to get through this with nary a scratch.

But yeah... hope this helps with anything you weren't clear on.

My suggestion is that if nobody is understanding it - stop confusing them and say what they want to hear “wearing a mask protects you.”

That’s how you’ll get people to wear the things. Because this country people think of themselves #1.

Everything you mention above makes people’s heads hurt

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Its just sad Mack.

A mask even a cloth one Helps stops the spread from people that are sick and showing symptoms as well as people that are sick and not showing symptoms.

It’s frustrating as hell trying to comprehend people that refuse to protect other humans because they think someone is pissing on their rights.

Where are all those people that said NY and the blue states were the reason for our high case numbers.

I guess shit rolls down hill.

I really don't want to demonize anyone.

I spend a lot of time and was professionally in science...went to an engineering school...yeah. I spend my free time watching physics videos and if anyone remembers, I actually went into the physics of why initial ball speed as a measure of arm strength isn't very accurate as opposed to other factors.

Science education among the general population in the US sucks. It's a donkey show.

I'll just keep looking for and putting out good info and data and just keep swimming...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
My suggestion is that if nobody is understanding it - stop confusing them and say what they want to hear “wearing a mask protects you.”

That’s how you’ll get people to wear the things. Because this country people think of themselves #1.

Everything you mention above makes people’s heads hurt

Well, okay. Except here's the problem.

Let's say we say that.

Some contrarian can say "that's dumb. The mask doesn't offer very much protection (and when people wear them wrong, offer none at all... I saw someone in the grocery story wearing a surgical mask as a fucking chin strap!!! like... were they blocking their chin sweat from infecting people???)

And that contrarian would be right.

Which leaves the person asking "why am I wearing this and going through all this aggravation if it's not effective?"

The answer is... it's not for you. It's to protect others from you...and it only works if everyone does it.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's head. I'm intimately with that being bad as I suffer daily migraines.

But yeah...

Also, even being super selfish (raises hand...part of this is super selfish on my part...and I say selfish because obviously the horrifying and needless deaths should be the only concern), if we can convince every football fan to wear a mask and insist everyone they know wear one...same with every sports fan... we'll be back on track within a few months.

And...crazy as this sounds...we might be able to have a COVID free Christmas season.

But to do that, everyone's gonna have to step and just do it, do it right and stick to it.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Well, okay. Except here's the problem.

Let's say we say that.

Some contrarian can say "that's dumb. The mask doesn't offer very much protection (and when people wear them wrong, offer none at all... I saw someone in the grocery story wearing a surgical mask as a fucking chin strap!!! like... were they blocking their chin sweat from infecting people???)

And that contrarian would be right.

Which leaves the person asking "why am I wearing this and going through all this aggravation if it's not effective?"

The answer is... it's not for you. It's to protect others from you...and it only works if everyone does it.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's head. I'm intimately with that being bad as I suffer daily migraines.

But yeah...

Also, even being super selfish (raises hand...part of this is super selfish on my part...and I say selfish because obviously the horrifying and needless deaths should be the only concern), if we can convince every football fan to wear a mask and insist everyone they know wear one...same with every sports fan... we'll be back on track within a few months.

And...crazy as this sounds...we might be able to have a COVID free Christmas season.

But to do that, everyone's gonna have to step and just do it, do it right and stick to it.

I have fully understood you ever step of the way

But I think you're missing my attempt at satire

I am not arguing the factuality of anything you say - only to say that your message is not connecting when you have to use all CAPS and post about your frustration about the message not connecting. And it seems people's inability to communicate this idea about masks helping others is turning them into condescending weiners.

FOR EXAMPLE -- let's look at the example illustration you send from Bluecoconuts

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 9.13.40 PM.png

Look how condescending that example is with that last remark "LET ME TRY AND MAKE IS SIMPLE FOR YOU..."
It's like fuck you, you can't even spell right - let me make this simple for you, it's not "IS" but "THIS"
Like you were too busy being all exasperated with the little people that you tripped over your own patronizing feet.

rrrr.png

But anyway.

I am attributing lack of success some are having with promoting mask-wearing for others to the modern American mindset who sees things only from how they benefit themselves as an individual instead of how they benefit the masses. I am suggesting you change your approach in order to achieve what you want. People to wear masks to save others.
Just change up your messaging.
Again I think you are missing my approach with you here - which is entirely satirical.

On that note.
May I suggest less science and instead use simple taglines to get your point across.
Look at action movies for example. Like the Wesley Snipes classic Passenger 57 with the timeless line "Always Bet On Black." I always bet on black. We can make it "Always Bet On Masks - Wear A Mask for Others' I know you do as well. Or take a tagline from a Bond movie perhaps. One like Octopussy, I think the tagline is "James Bond, An All Time High." we can take that same tagline and swap out James Bone with "Covid Cases, An All Time High - Wear a Mask for Others" something like that?

Maybe try and license a mascot of some sort to wear the masks instead of these stick figures you used below

460x1240.jpg

And try and license old beer commercial characters to help bring things more to life.
Like Calvin and Hobbs. I am sure the creator is willing to license this iconic image for a great cause.

jj.jpg

Or maybe you can see if you can get Spuds Mackenzie out of retirement?

Untitled-1.jpg

just an idea

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
How much of transmission occurs through the eyes? If your walking thru walmart and someone is breathing it out and then you walk through the cloud with your mask on but your big doe eyes are soaking it up.....

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
and if anyone remembers, I actually went into the physics of why initial ball speed as a measure of arm strength isn't very accurate as opposed to other factors.
No. You went into the actual physics of why initial ball speed as a measure of how far someone can throw a football isn't very accurate and you called that arm strength. However, arm strength and how far someone can throw a football are different. Initial ball speed is a decent way to measure arm strength, but an awful way to measure how far someone can throw a football.

Words have meanings, Mack.

Status
Not open for further replies.