Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Calm down, people!

This is no big deal. Hell, half the people that get it don’t even know they had it.

These players are at virtual ZERO mortality risk.

Any fans that have compromised health issues should simply stay home and watch on their TV. Everybody else? Go see them live and enjoy yourselves.

there is a lot of reality to that.

a study today came out that taking a basic steroid prevents deaths. Just Roid all the players out.

fearsomefour

Legend
Calm down, people!

This is no big deal. Hell, half the people that get it don’t even know they had it.

Any fans that have compromised health issues should simply stay home and watch on their TV. Everybody else? Go see them live and enjoy yourselves.
You mean business as usual?
Like during flu season?
Yes, I agree.

Robert

Rookie
Calm down, people!

Sorry I don’t care how much you love football saying a global pandemic is not a big deal and football should still be played makes no sense. These football players might be at a low mortality risk but they have moms and dads, grandparents that I’m sure they spend time with, are they just suppose to stay away from them for 6 months So we can get off for 60 minutes on sundays?

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
Make no mistake, young healthy athletes can and have died from this, no one is guaranteed safe, and surviving doesn't mean "well" people who have recovered are having devastating life long effects. This is no flu. I want football as much as anyone but right now I don't see any safe or logical way to have a season

Ram65

Legend
Yeah it is going to be really hard to do this season. I hope it happens, man do I hope they do it because this country needs some damn distractions. But no idea how this is going to work. There WILL be a team that has an outbreak of it during the season. What happens then? Technically everyone in contact with them are supposed to quarantine for 14 days. What happens when we’re in week 7 and an entire team can’t play for two weeks? They probably played a team in the last week also so that whole team would technically need to quarantine too. Once you start thinking about the logistics it just doesn’t seem feasible if the NFL follows basic guidelines.

It won't be easy. I think it was the NBA that they have a plan, but could apply to all leagues . They will be testing everyone on a regular basis. If someone test positive they will be isolated and everyone that had contact with that person will get tested right away like Dak did. If they are cleared they can continue as normal of not they get isolated.

At some point in time many more people will get the Virus even if a vaccine becomes available.

• Only half of Americans (55%) say they would get vaccinated against the novel coronavirus, if and when a vaccine becomes available, according to a new YouGov survey.
  • Another 26% said they were unsure about getting inoculated, while one in five said that they not get vaccinated at all.
  • The poll comes at a time where more than 100 potential coronavirus vaccines in development and health experts are emphasizing that a vaccine will be needed to return life to normal.
  • The sentiments echo another more recent survey by Reuters, which shows that a quarter of Americans have little or no interest in taking a vaccine.
It could be as many as 45% of people say they would not get the vaccine. Even at 30% that's a lot of people that will eventually get the Virus. The objective is to keep the virus under control as much as possible so hospitals and such are not inundated with new cases. There would be a lot of questions about the vaccine as far as it's effectiveness and whether or not people are at risk of getting sick like some do with the flu vaccines especially older people.

NEWSHEALTH & MEDICINE
New data suggest people aren’t getting reinfected with the coronavirus
People who test positive after recovering from COVID-19 don’t appear to carry infectious virus

It's almost as if getting the virus and being done with it would relieve the anxiety and the need to wear a mask.

The problem is going away anytime soon. Be it the players, coaches or fans it is up to the individual to decide what he or she wants to do. The NFL will test the players and coaches every week and go from there. Players need to proactive when they can be. Players can continue to wear masks, wash their hands and limit mouth and nose touching when with friends and family. I don't see why the NFL games can't be played. At some point life has to get back to normal as much as possible. A vaccine could easily take till 2022 to become available and that is not guaranteed. At some point either you get the virus or you get the vaccine when it becomes available.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
With more testing, we get more positive results. Most people do not die from this, and even more people did not know they even had it. Originally we were told that millions of people would die in the US alone, but that hasn't been the case. At some point you just have to let nature take it's course, we can't live in a bubble for the rest of our lives.

fearsomefour

Legend
With more testing, we get more positive results. Most people do not die from this, and even more people did not know they even had it. Originally we were told that millions of people would die in the US alone, but that hasn't been the case. At some point you just have to let nature take it's course, we can't live in a bubble for the rest of our lives.
Anti body testing has shown infection rates 10 to 50 times what has been reported with positive tests in hospitals.
That’s a big spread.
But, assuming.....and it’s an assumption....that carries out across society and we take a middle number, say 25 times, that means roughly 50 million in the US have had it.
Even the exaggerated death rate is very very low.
Still sucks for the people who died though....they are just as dead.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Stop it. That's absolutely not what was said.

What was said, and it is 100% correct, was that...and I'll bold it...IF WE DID NOTHING , then there could be millions of deaths.

But even as we did poorly, we did lots more than nothing and it made a huge difference.

You can't just ignore the effects of social distancing and isolation.

Reasonable people can disagree, but in order to argue in good faith, we can't go around misquoting or misrepresenting the facts and arguments of the other side.

And sure, we can't live in a bubble our entire lives, but just going all Leroy Jenkins and YOLO'ing isn't just unwise, but will lead to a lot of unnecessary deaths.

THIS. IS. WHY. WE. NEEDED. TO. TREAT. THIS. SERIOUSLY. FROM. THE. START.

Now, instead of having staged reopenings in a manner which still allows for public safety, the argument is that "well, this was screwed up from the beginning, but we can't damage the economy anymore, so F it.. whoever dies, dies, but we gotta get back to "normal".

I dunno, that's just far too callous for me.

Also, we have science and we use that to manipulate nature...literally ALL THE TIME.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Anti body testing has shown infection rates 10 to 50 times what has been reported with positive tests in hospitals.
That’s a big spread.
But, assuming.....and it’s an assumption....that carries out across society and we take a middle number, say 25 times, that means roughly 50 million in the US have had it.
Even the exaggerated death rate is very very low.
Still sucks for the people who died though....they are just as dead.

Part of the reason the VA doesn't do antibody testing is that a) it's not accurate and b) it doesn't distinguish between coronavirus antibodies. So, if anyone was exposed to SARS or MERS, they'd have the antibodies even though they've never come into contact with COVID 19.

Using an inaccurate testing method to justify making an unscientific assertion isn't...um...scientific.

I'll leave it to you why we haven't done mass, mandatory testing in the US. so has to have better data to more accurately ascertain the mortality rate as well as data points which would allow us to better understand the effect of comorbidity factors as well as the effects of age, race, gender, economic class, etc on morbidity.

And I totally agree that dead is dead.

What horrifies me is HOW people die of COVID. As someone with severe asthma, suffocating is a crap way to go...it's slow and...well, horrifying. Worse, they die in a stupor...on a machine...slowly...alone. A good number die after WEEKS of isolation.

So all this YOLO'ing that's going on out in the US isn't just condemning some people to die... it's condemning some to die...horrifically.

Dead is dead, but that just makes it so much worse, imho.

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
I have a special needs son that needs my 24/7 care, he's also non verbal so when he gets sick it can be very hard to know exactly what is wrong and how bad it is, that makes this virus even more terrifying. On top of that my husband is a traumatic brain injury survivor, and while he's doing fairly well compared to a lot of others he needs me as well. My family NEEDS me I have no choice but to take this very seriously, but as long as others don't we have to stay isolated and turn our lives upside down. I wish people would take it seriously, and think of others and how their behavior affects us all

But anyway, I hope these players make a full recovery and i hope people smarter than me come up with a solution for having football again sooner than later

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
How long have these “current events” been going on? At some point does anyone make any sense of why there hasn’t been a dramatic spike? Must be those cloth masks ehh? Or the obvious social distancing

And you Science guys, I’d ask you take a step back, set politics or ideology aside, Science has literally screwed the pooch on this from day one.

I suppose my point is maybe, just maybe we might be heading down the backstretch here and the worst is behind us, and has been.

My bet is I’m pretty confident there will be a full season

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Part of the reason the VA doesn't do antibody testing is that a) it's not accurate and b) it doesn't distinguish between coronavirus antibodies. So, if anyone was exposed to SARS or MERS, they'd have the antibodies even though they've never come into contact with COVID 19.

Using an inaccurate testing method to justify making an unscientific assertion isn't...um...scientific.

I'll leave it to you why we haven't done mass, mandatory testing in the US. so has to have better data to more accurately ascertain the mortality rate as well as data points which would allow us to better understand the effect of comorbidity factors as well as the effects of age, race, gender, economic class, etc on morbidity.

And I totally agree that dead is dead.

What horrifies me is HOW people die of COVID. As someone with severe asthma, suffocating is a crap way to go...it's slow and...well, horrifying. Worse, they die in a stupor...on a machine...slowly...alone. A good number die after WEEKS of isolation.

So all this YOLO'ing that's going on out in the US isn't just condemning some people to die... it's condemning some to die...horrifically.

Dead is dead, but that just makes it so much worse, imho.
Ok.
Why bother with antibody testing at all?
I would assume there is a reason.
To get an idea of spread one would assume.
Even a general idea.
But I appreciate the info about the weaknesses and flaws in the testing.
Good to know.
The numbers are what they are.
The manipulation of numbers is what it is and is fairly clear.
As you say, would leave everyone to their own on that.
I hear ya with the death and the reality of what that is.
But, society is not nor should it stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.