Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Seconded

- Ugly people
Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 7.21.13 PM.png

oldnotdead

Legend
Oh, I don't know about that. With a stranger sure. But when you spend a month 24/7 with someone all pretenses tend to disappear and you see the real person. I love beautiful women but physical beauty without personal beauty and intelligence to hold a real conversation is a waste.

I've been browsing a whole lot of hours on the net and it's amazing how many physically beautiful women have such abhorrent personalities. The garbage that comes from those pretty lips is mind-boggling.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
You would think so - but I feel like I sometimes get the side eye for wearing mine. I'm not sick, but I could be an asymptomatic carrier, nonetheless.

And that's why you're wearing a mask. If people are looking at you sideways, that just says they haven't been paying attention. There are people with vanity issues who refuse to wear a mask, their are some minorities who are (rightfully) afraid to wear a mask and there are some dumbass people who can't comprehend the seriousness of this problem who don't wear a mask.

I was told by a peer "you can't live in a bubble dude". I was told by that same fellow, "I'm working outside, I don't need a mask". Yet he's working with other people outside. I was told by a customer, "I don't need a mask, I'm in my backyard" to which I said, "I'm in your backyard too and I'd prefer you have one on if you insist on being out here."

Some people know the proper way to operate under these conditions.
Some people know the proper way but make their own sub-rules.
Some people don't have a clue.
Which is why we're gonna be fighting this thing longer than most believe.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm now required to wear a mask when I enter a customers home, looks like I will be doing less on installs than I had been doing. I will now avoid entering any home as often as I can. For the last 2 months it was up to me unless the customer requested I wear one, and I did when asked to. But 90% or more of the customers I interact with are not concerned with a virus that kills less than 0.05% of the people that get it. I understand the elderly and the immune deficient, but the fear mongers drive me nuts. The other day covid deaths were over 60k, now today I see they are down to 38k according to the CDC. Looks like the experts were right when they said covid was just another flu, its more easily transmitted but less deadly and in most cases doesnt even get people sick.

Yeah, that percentage is not a real number and spreading it to bolster one’s dogma is just bad.

Honestly, I’m fucking tired to my bones of people who don’t understand science doin all sorts of figurin and reckonin and thinking that when it comes to the complexity of virology that they know their ass from their elbow.

WE DON’T. I’m including myself as even as a former network engineer who went to a top engineering school and still researches scientific/medical topics a LOT, I just don’t have the expertise to be authoritative. None of us do.

Damn, I remember when we celebrated our experts, now any expertise is greeted with a massive national Inferiority Complex.

NEWSFLASH: While expertise doesn’t make anyone a better person than anyone else, on the subject at hand, experts are LITERALLY better than non-experts on that topic.

If you truly don’t believe that, then get your friend who’s kinda handy to do your next surgery because FUCK those Surgical experts thinking they’re better than your friend at surgery... it’s just the dumbest shit I’ve ever seen and I remember the Pet Rock...

Johns Hopkins has numbers put out regularly collated from around the world.

Per those numbers:
Confirmed Cases US: 1,369,314
Deaths: 82,340

that’s 6.01% NOT 0.05%.

Now to head off all the yabbits.

Yes, because of the GROSS mishandling of this crisis at all levels of Gov’t, testing was not available widespread, thus at best we don’t know the FULL scope of either actual cases or deaths. Also, many jurisdictions refuse to rule deaths as related to COVID without verified tests (which they can’t get) and others are ruling all lung related deaths with unknown pathology as COVID, even with known issues like TB, asthma and pneumonia. So YES, the data is soft. No one has said otherwise. It’s still valuable data.

As for what we can actually do, it’s easy. It’s not hard. Wear the fucking mask. Just do it and quit bitching. Oh, and it’s not for you, it’s for your fellow countrymen. So be patriotic and help save American lives.

If that doesn’t motivate you, potentially saving the lives of your fellow man, then lemme know so that I can just put you on ignore. For real, not kidding.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Hey guys- and I mean all you covid truthers - you probably mean well- but you are in the process of creating a different world, which is fine.
Because you are the ones going to be living in it.
And ten years from now, you will look around and ask each other “what the fuck happened?”
You happened- in your over-the- top media- fueled politically motivated chicken-little response to a new version the flu.

Enjoy it. You deserve it. You created it. And it was you who gave all these petty little asshole government types the amount of power they now wield.
and it is you who will regret it - too late.
I’m outta’ here in 15-20 years- don’t matter to me.
You reap what you sow.

Wow - got kinda wordy there.
Cheers all.

Great new unis and helmets- so there is that.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Hey guys- and I mean all you covid truthers - you probably mean well- but you are in the process of creating a different world, which is fine.
And ten years from now, you will look around and ask each other “what the fuck happened?”
You happened- in your over-the- top media- fueled politically motivated chicken-little response to a new version the flu.

Enjoy it. You deserve it. You created it. And it was you who gave all these petty little asshole government types the amount of power they now wield.
You reap what you sow.

Cheers all.

Truthers, huh? Interesting term to use. I always took a truther to be a conspiracy theorist.

Is this a conspiracy? Is this really just a new version of the flu and we are all freaking out over nothing? Is it a hit job on POTUS?

Seriously, at this point - what is the alternate plan? Should we just let nature take its course and hope we and our loved ones are not part of the casualty? What would you have us do?

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie

You reap what you sow.

Cheers all.

Guess what bro. The average everyday person isn't causing anything to change. We're all at the mercy of whatever shitty government we happen to live under.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Guess what bro. The average everyday person isn't causing anything to change. We're all at the mercy of whatever shitty government we happen to live under.

Fair enough man - still think those treating this virus like the bubonic plague are complicit, which is who I was responding to.
But you're right in that we ARE at the mercy of whatever crap we choose to accept. I think the extended shutdown mandated by certain jurisdictions is absolute bullshit. The response should not be the one size fits all that is all too often blindly accepted as gospel.

Listen, we all have opinions, and valid reasons for those, and no one is changing anybody's mind. I get that. @thirteen28 spent a lot of effort and thousands of words explaining it, and as far as I could tell, it fell on deaf ears.

Just thought I'd throw my opinion out there.

Cheers.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Take a page from Japan’s play book. Japan does every year during flu season. (No this is not the flu) Wear a mask.

Put a mask on and you don’t have a lockdown.

Is that to much to ask of our fellow humans.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Take a page from Japan’s play book. Japan does every year during flu season. (No this is not the flu) Wear a mask.

Totally agree.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I endorse this comment. We should wear masks every flu season.

Sincerely, Potential Bank Robber

oldnotdead

Legend
People who live in fear of change are being unrealistic. Human society has been in a constant state of change since our inception. Better, or worse....depends upon your perspective but it's going to happen. As someone who has lived as long as I have, I can say with all certainty that the world I was born into isn't the same I live in today. Worse in some ways, but also better in so many ways people back then couldn't imagine. My son is only 22 and the world he was born into isn't the same as it is today. It doesn't take a world war or pandemic to change society, it's part of human nature. It's encoded in our DNA to constantly evolve as a species and as societies.

Rail if you want, but accept it you must or be left behind. Social evolution is perpetual and people simply find ways to adapt and move on. A whole lot of my friends my age, are stuck living in the past and can't understand my attitudes and thinking. I inturn see how much they are missing and simply shake my head.

There is only one thing that is certain (besides death) and that is the way things are today will be different for the next generation or perhaps even sooner. Accept it or not is everyone's prerogative, but to deny it is as futile as shouting at the wind.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

You reap what you sow.

Cheers all.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

You clearly don’t understand the differences between influenza viruses and coronaviruses, so we get some folksy homily based solely on your opinion.

It’s being handed out with no consideration of how real world dangerous it is... and rest assured that it is dangerous whether you yeet the fuck out in a day or 30 years from now.

And if that isn’t bad enough, you actually think your opinion trumps the expert knowledge of virologists, epidemiologists, bioethicists and all the other scientists who LITERALLY make solving these problems their life’s work.

Science is LITERALLY all around you in this modern age and we still get this stupid shit. It’s Darwin Award level stupid and I don’t feel like sugar coating it anymore.

This old Isaac Asimov quote says it all and is more prevalent than ever:

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
People who live in fear of change are being unrealistic. Human society has been in a constant state of change since our inception. Better, or worse....depends upon your perspective but it's going to happen. As someone who has lived as long as I have, I can say with all certainty that the world I was born into isn't the same I live in today. Worse in some ways, but also better in so many ways people back then couldn't imagine. My son is only 22 and the world he was born into isn't the same as it is today. It doesn't take a world war or pandemic to change society, it's part of human nature. It's encoded in our DNA to constantly evolve as a species and as societies.

Rail if you want, but accept it you must or be left behind. Social evolution is perpetual and people simply find ways to adapt and move on. A whole lot of my friends my age, are stuck living in the past and can't understand my attitudes and thinking. I inturn see how much they are missing and simply shake my head.

There is only one thing that is certain (besides death) and that is the way things are today will be different for the next generation or perhaps even sooner. Accept it or not is everyone's prerogative, but to deny it is as futile as shouting at the wind.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V-4o5QStVuY

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Just curious, to any of you who are really pushing the mask wearing thing...are you required to wear them at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.