Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
80+ yrs old with pre-existing underlying health issues are predominantly the people who are dying.

60+ yrs old with pre-existing underlying health issues are predominantly the people who are requiring hospitalization.

Act accordingly.

Yeah totally fucked up

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I know the elderly are more at risk - but I keep seeing stories of younger and younger people hospitalized and even dying. Maybe these are just outliers, but I think the whole - I'm fine because I'm under 55 years old - isn't necessarily the case.

CeeZar

Rookie
I know the elderly are more at risk - but I keep seeing stories of younger and younger people hospitalized and even dying. Maybe these are just outliers, but I think the whole - I'm fine because I'm under 55 years old - isn't necessarily the case.

At least part of that is the younger folks not following social distancing and other guidelines. Young and stupid.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

I mean Tony Boselli was in the ICU
That’s all you need to know. That guy is a specimen of fitness.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
At least part of that is the younger folks not following social distancing and other guidelines. Young and stupid.

But that would only make them more likely to catch it - not more likely to die from it. Right?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The media here in japan announced that the govt had done just the same.
Tokyos cases surged over the weekend, but many people stayed in because the weather was bad.
Then today the news reported tracking and hotspots compared to the weekend before.
Anyway, numbers have miraculousy dropped to about 40 cases from 200.
In a day.

This is good, but also worrying.
Numbers all over the world continue to escalate, yet Japan keeps pulling in low cases.
Then with only one weekend of most people isolating, cases drop significantly.

Theres a lot of speculation here.
I find it troublesome how japan can almost effortlessly keep numbers low whilst the rest of the world cant contain it despite stricter measures.
I suspect it's the lower incidence of shaking hands when people meet. Japanese take to social distancing easier because a courteous bow can keep distance easier.

Japanese are also extremely law abiding people socially. As opposed to free thinking American dickheads like us who do whatever we want even when told to stay inside lol.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But that would only make them more likely to catch it - not more likely to die from it. Right?
Yes. But I also think the average numbers are good indicators of who should have the most concern. It definitely shows age is a huge factor, probably the single largest factor in this thing.

And re: the younger people who do struggle with it... Over large numbers you absolutely will have outliers, even some young folks who for whatever reason aren't equipped to handle the virus. It's a shame but that's the nature of things, it's always been that way and still is in spite of our medical technology.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I don't know if this has been shared yet. It is a long watch (one hour) and has some glitches to it but it comes from a Doctor on the front line in NYC.

He goes over what they have discovered and answers questions that many of us have. I dumbs it all down to us.

I found it fascinating and enlightning.

Hope all are well.

Ignore the "Sorry" and push the #Watch on Vimeo". It is safe.

View: https://vimeo.com/399733860

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I don't know if this has been shared yet. It is a long watch (one hour) and has some glitches to it but it comes from a Doctor on the front line in NYC.

He goes over what they have discovered and answers questions that many of us have. I dumbs it all down to us.

I found it fascinating and enlightning.

Hope all are well.

Ignore the "Sorry" and push the #Watch on Vimeo". It is safe.

View: https://vimeo.com/399733860

Is it safe?

A527BD87-A94A-41BE-8229-E1B389ABCA47.gif

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
80+ yrs old with pre-existing underlying health issues are predominantly the people who are dying.

60+ yrs old with pre-existing underlying health issues are predominantly the people who are requiring hospitalization.

Act accordingly.

Thank God I'm 70+.
Dodged a bullet there. :cool:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

In a pandemic, all memes, GIFs, jokes and the like are fair game and are meant to be shared far and wide. We need that shit.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The media here in japan announced that the govt had done just the same.
Tokyos cases surged over the weekend, but many people stayed in because the weather was bad.
Then today the news reported tracking and hotspots compared to the weekend before.
Anyway, numbers have miraculousy dropped to about 40 cases from 200.
In a day.

This is good, but also worrying.
Numbers all over the world continue to escalate, yet Japan keeps pulling in low cases.
Then with only one weekend of most people isolating, cases drop significantly.

Theres a lot of speculation here.
I find it troublesome how japan can almost effortlessly keep numbers low whilst the rest of the world cant contain it despite stricter measures.

I've been tracking them some, my wife is originally from Koga about an hour north of Tokyo by train and her mom is still over there. Seems like they have avoided the worst without any massive clampdown. A lot of it I think has to do with culture, as they wear facemasks even in normal flu season at a far higher rate than we do in the U.S. I don't know about their supply chain either, but I suspect they haven't insanely and stupidly outsourced everything to China like we have in the U.S.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Actual #'s (see cumulative hospitalization #'s)

View: https://twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/status/1244735582544130048

Predicted #'s (purple dashed line ... notice where they are on April 1st, compared to the actual #'s they presented in the tweet above)

1585627153494.png

(source: http://covid19.healthdata.org)

So, 22,303 cumulative hospitalizations from COVID-19 as of March 30. Predicted 112,000 beds needed by April 1.

Actual << Predicted.

And for perspective, here's some seasonal flu #'s from the CDC:

Meanwhile, on the economic side of the ledger:

1585627221356.png

And this:

U.S. Jobless Rate May Soar to 30%, Fed’s Bullard Says

I sincerely hope this prediction is overstated as much as the projected hospitalizations have been overstated above. Keep in mind unemployment in the Great Depression peaked at 25% in 1933.

And from another angle, this is not getting much media play. I wonder why:

This only a little more media play:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Three Additional Patients with Severe COVID-19 Treated with Leronlimab in New York Medical Center Bringing the Total to 10 Patients

CytoDyn

…..

Legend
I see there’s a whole conversation going on here, which I am not following, that seems to center around numbers.

I’m gonna drop this here since this is where I’ve been posting on it, Despite the parallel
conversations.

My wife’s son Alan now appears to have all the symptoms. She’s pretty beat up and thinking irrationally, like it’s all Emma’s fault for insisting on taking the job and Delta. (a whole side story about how Emma all too eagerly finds other things to do besides take care of her kids, a typical mother in law stance to take)

Anyway- Alan’s being difficult, refusing to go get tested on the pretext that “It doesn’t matter, the doctors told us we were all going to get it anyway” and of course that is really taking its toll on the wife. Meanwhile, Emma is thinking irrationally as well, insisting she is ready to get retested so she can get her negative result and return to work. Except for one thing- she has zero seniority and 90% of flights are of course halted.

Crazy kids these days. <shrug> I’m hoping clearer minds prevail in the next 24 hrs or so.

Thankfully, there are health care workers checking in with them daily. And it appears the health department is also investigating where all Emma has been, frequently calling and requesting details of her last week flying and where she ate, slept, etc....

wish us luck- it’s not a very good feeling knowing the kids are all sitting ducks waiting for their turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.