Could a third year of Schottenheimer be just what Sam Bradford needs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
Bradford needs a Good OL and for Quick and Stedman/ Austin to develop into quality NFL receivers. If that happens expect the run game to improve and for Pead to have his breakout season.
At this point, I don't even really care what happens with Pead. I guess it's because he was a second round pick that so many people believe in him, but he's never really shown me anything, tbh. I am looking forward to a lot more of Zac Stacy, though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Bradford needs a Good OL and for Quick and Stedman/ Austin to develop into quality NFL receivers. If that happens expect the run game to improve and for Pead to have his breakout season.

At this point I won't hold by breath on Pead, if anything happens there it'll be a bonus. But I agree that those three need to grow up into quality, or better, receivers and I think they will.

tonyl711

Starter
I think that Schottenheimer is a complete failure as an OC. Unimaginative design and play-calling, inability to use his players the way they should be used and those things make it impossible to adjust during the game or to gameplan a new game.

I haven't done any research or experiments on the subject, but I am pretty the team would play a lot better with a wet papersack as the OC.

I also think he holds Bradford back. Someone needs to light a fire under Sam's butt and tell him to take more chances down the field. The TD to Int ratio that people point out as Sam "having a great start to this year" shows me that he doesn't take enough chances; IMO. Take more chances at the top routes and both numbers will go up proportionally (not to mention how that will improve the run game) and give us more wins. This 1 read and done mentality isn't going to get us anywhere. I real OC and/or Qb coach would change his reads to top down instead of Bottom up.

A third year with Schottenheimer just what SB needs?? No way
you do realize that last season was only the second season for Shotty right? also that every WR on the team has only one or two years in the league, that he had 2 second year RBs and three rookies, that he somehow managed to win 7 games even though he was using KC who isn't a very good throwing QB in more than half their games, what do you expect when you have mostly first and second year players in an offense they have only run for 2 years? you do know that most WRs take 3 or more years to start being really productive right?
he was forced to dumb down the offense because of that youth IMO, once TA started to catch on, did he not find more creative ways to use him? if he was to put too much on these young players it would hurt their development IMO.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I believe the stability will undoubtedly benefit the offense and our young WRs.

The coaching staff also benefits from the continuity... they were just unwrapping some of their new toys for the first time last season (Zac and Austin for example). The coaches will be able to take advantage of player strengths more effectively from the beginning of the season now.

And just for the record... Schotty is a football genius compared to anyone posting on Internet message boards. Well, unless you're comparing him to me that is (lol).

iced

Stedman Bailey will be huge in 2014, I think. I think he earned his spot, will get a lot of snaps, and he'll be productive.

Productive enough against the corners in our division? That's where I am worried - I don't see anyone that's threatening the corners in our division

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
IMO Bradford and Shotty's future in St Louis is joined at the hip. If/when the Bradford experiment ends...Shotty gets replaced too.
Sam is probably the guy holding Shotty here at this point....if that makes sense.

How has Bradford's career been an experiment? An organization trying to see how best to jack up a quality QB prospect by giving him no WR to throw to and a porous O line???

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Productive enough against the corners in our division? That's where I am worried - I don't see anyone that's threatening the corners in our division
They don't have to threaten them just occupy them, and IMO Peterson and Sherman are the only two to be overly concerned about. The other can be beat.

iced

This is why we need Watkins. :sneaky:

exactly

Even "good" or "great" receivers will struggle against those 2...only the homerest of homers would think we have a receiver on the roster right now that is capable of giving these guys fits.. those corners are cream of the crop - our friggin' tight end led the team in receiving...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
They don't have to threaten them just occupy them, and IMO Peterson and Sherman are the only two to be overly concerned about. The other can be beat.

The idea that any single player needs to dominate the "corners in our division" is short sighted. The best way to attack the defenses in our division is to RUN THE BALL, and be successful at it. Look at the MNF game vs. Seattle. I don't remember Sherman being any kind of factor in that game. Why? Because the Rams pounded the ball on Seattle to the tune of 200+ yards. Were it now for two horrible throws from Clemens, that game never would have come down to the final series.

Same can be said about the 49ers, although not to the same degree. Their secondary can be exploited, but they do need to establish they can run the ball in order to use the play action passing game that was so effective in the 2012 season vs. SF.

Arizona's secondary is not as good as Seattle's, but better than San Francisco's. But as was the case in the opener last year, can be exploited by attacking the seams. Again, run the ball, force them into over committing to stopping the run, force them into man coverage and get Austin and Cook involved.

The pieces are in place. But as is often the case, for this team to be productive on offense, it HAS to start with a solid running game.

A point I think is worth mentioning.... this article (as are way too many) focuses on Bradford and his future to the stability of having Schottenheimer back for a 3rd season. As a few have mentioned, I think it actually benefits the ENTIRE OFFENSE, especially the younger skill position players even more than it will benefit Bradford. And therefore, it becomes a domino effect. The better they understand the nuances of the offense, the more Bradford benefits.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And, I might add, it is imperative to get the line straightened out in order to have a good running game. Get some healthy young dominant linemen to fill out the line please.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
How has Bradford's career been an experiment? An organization trying to see how best to jack up a quality QB prospect by giving him no WR to throw to and a porous O line???
Its a figure of speech. I could have used the term "era" too. Nothing to see here. :cool:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its a figure of speech. I could have used the term "era" too. Nothing to see here. :cool:
Always the instigator.

animalhouse347.jpeg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I believe the stability will undoubtedly benefit the offense and our young WRs.

The coaching staff also benefits from the continuity... they were just unwrapping some of their new toys for the first time last season (Zac and Austin for example). The coaches will be able to take advantage of player strengths more effectively from the beginning of the season now.

And just for the record... Schotty is a football genius compared to anyone posting on Internet message boards. Well, unless you're comparing him to me that is (lol).

Compared to Shurmur he is an upgrade, a big upgrade.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Always the instigator.

animalhouse347.jpeg
Being that this thread has successfully been derailed anyway.... Yo Paulie - remember the poster I showed you of The Dude my son's room mate had up in their dorm room? Those are the dorms that you see in the opening scenes of Animal House. A little light trivia there. Not sure if the food fight is filmed in the cafeteria in those dorms but I wouldn't doubt it. Looks a hell of a lot like it.