Could a third year of Schottenheimer be just what Sam Bradford needs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ted Bryant
http://cover32.com/rams/2014/02/05/...hottenheimer-be-just-what-sam-bradford-needs/

schott-750x256.jpg

It seems by all accounts that the Rams will pick up a quarterback in this year’s draft. Whether it’s early in the first round or somewhere much later remains to be seen, but either way, opinions on incumbent starter Sam Bradford have been polarizing to say the least. For now, Bradford seems poised to start Week 1 next season, and personally I think it can be his finest season to date (barring health issues). Bradford will have emerging weapons to work with in wide receiver Tavon Austin and running back Zac Stacy, but more importantly he is finally able to play under consistent coaching for the first time in his career.

I’d like to say that it appears the Rams’ coaching staff appears set for 2014, but given last week’s unexpected sacking of defensive coordinator Tim Walton tells us that anything is possible under this regime. Still, despite his brief flirtation with Vanderbilt, it appears that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer will be back for at least one more season. Love him or hate him, his continued presence provides some much-needed coaching stability that should pay dividends for Bradford going forward.

Through the first three seasons of his career, Bradford seemed headed down a similar path to that of Jason Campbell, another promising first-round quarterback who suffered from organizational instability. For those of you unfamiliar with Campbell’s sitaution, he was selected by Washington with the 25th overall pick in 2005. He had to work through five coordinator changes in his first five seasons, and it can be argued that he never reached his true potential as a result.

Additionally, many of those in the anti-Bradford party are quick to jump on the fact that he hasn’t necessarily lived up to his status as no. 1 overall pick or the $78 million contract given to him in the last year before the rookie wage scale was implemented. Both are fair critiques, and ideally a no. 1 overall pick should be among the elite at his position heading into year five of his career. That isn’t the case for Bradford. While productive, Bradford’s numbers and career wins aren’t exactly earth-shattering. What the anti-Bradford folks are quick to forget, however, is that Bradford endured coordinator changes in each of his first three seasons, similar to Campbell.

As a rookie in 2010, Bradford was brought into the NFL under then offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur. Shurmur brought some life to a team that had finished 1-15 the year prior and improved the offense across the board. The team finished 7-9, and Bradford himself finished the season as the AP’s Offensive Rookie of the Year. He’d thrown for 3,512 yards and 18 touchdowns while completing 60 percent of his passes. He also narrowly missed leading the team to the playoffs, as a Week 17 loss in Seattle gave the Seahawks the division and ended Bradford’s promising season. Things were certainly looking up for the future of th franchise, but Shurmur ended up leaving to accept the head coaching job in Cleveland.

In came Josh McDaniels to replace him, and both Bradford and the team suffered major setbacks. Bradford was thrust into a new system in his second year, and the effects were noticeable. The team would finish 2-14 when all was said and done, which resulted in the firing of head coach Steve Spagnuolo and a return to New England for McDaniels. Bradford missed a total of six games due to a lingering high ankle sprain, but when he was on the field, he still left much to be desired. He threw only six touchdown passes, compared to six interceptions, and his completion percentage dipped to 53.5.

In his third year, he was yet again tasked with learning a new system under new head coach Jeff Fisher and the new offensive coordinator, Schottenheimer. Bradford got his step back after a dismal sophomore campaign and was able to lead the team out of the 2-14 basement and back to respectability with a 7-8-1 record. He also improved his quarterback rating to 82.6 on the strength of 3,702 yards passing and 21 touchdowns compared to 13 interceptions while managing to go 4-1-1 against the increasingly difficult NFC West.

Here’s where I finally make my point. In year four of Bradford’s career, the first year in which he wasn’t forced with learning a new scheme under a new offensive coordinator, Bradford was looking poised to finally break out. There are a thousand woulda/coulda/shouldas to be said about how his season would have played out if not for his Week 7 injury at Carolina, but by all accounts Bradford was having his finest season as a passer. His completion percentage was as high as it had ever been (60.7%) and he’d already thrown 14 touchdown passes, while limiting his interceptions with just four to that point. All of this happened while the Rams’ running game was futile at best with Daryl Richardson leading the attack. His injury is obviously a concern, but Bradford was having a fine 2013 prior to his injury, part of which must be attributed to the fact that his familiarity with Schottenheimer and the offense allowed him to think less and react more. In Bradford’s absence, the team went on to establish a run-first, run-second identity that allowed them to win a handful of games that in which they probably shouldn’t have had a chance.

If we extrapolate a bit and insert Bradford – who will be in his third year in the same system by then – into that balanced offense with an efficient running game, who knows what type of player he can be?

tonyl711

Starter
a system he is familiar with finally, and hopefully the WRs have gotten past their growing pains, an actual running game, if we fix the Oline I think we will see why the Rams drafted him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
IMO Bradford and Shotty's future in St Louis is joined at the hip. If/when the Bradford experiment ends...Shotty gets replaced too.
Sam is probably the guy holding Shotty here at this point....if that makes sense.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
IMO Bradford and Shotty's future in St Louis is joined at the hip. If/when the Bradford experiment ends...Shotty gets replaced too.
Sam is probably the guy holding Shotty here at this point....if that makes sense.

It does make sense and you're right they will both stay or go together.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
a system he is familiar with finally, and hopefully the WRs have gotten past their growing pains, an actual running game, if we fix the Oline I think we will see why the Rams drafted him.

You are correct. If the WRs are done with their growing pains and the line gets straightened out then Bradford will have his best opportunity yet to prove he is who he was drafted to be. I defended Sam until just before he got hurt. He really has me waivering at this point. But I would like nothing more than a top ten performance next season with some gutsy come from behind wins and a bit more of a display of on field leadership.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Definitely agree with you Mojo.

So you agree there Vag.

I only responded so I could say Vag. I like saying Vag. I'm thinking of legally changing my middle name to that.

I'd change my first name to that and tell people I was from Lithuania or something but I can't pull off a good enough accent.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
the words "growing pains" ... and "Vag" ... all used in the same thread ..... "I can't fight this feeling anymorrrreeee..."

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
So you agree there Vag.

I only responded so I could say Vag. I like saying Vag. I'm thinking of legally changing my middle name to that.

I'd change my first name to that and tell people I was from Lithuania or something but I can't pull off a good enough accent.
Would that make you a Vag Baker ...????

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Going into year five, and who has he had to throw to? I've never seen a team with as bad of WRs as the Rams have had in the last few years. Seriously, get this guy a true #1 WR, and see what he can do.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Would that make you a Vag Baker ...????

No if I did the first name then the last name would have to be something else.

But it would have to have a foreign ring to it. Yet sound accidental. Like Vag Exploritis from Greece or some shit I dunno you guys figure it out lol.

Vag Intrepinitus could be Lithuanian I suppose.....HAHAHAHHAAHA

iced

and get him some quality weapons at receiver besides austin...

A55VA6

Legend
and get him some quality weapons at receiver besides austin...
Stedman Bailey will be huge in 2014, I think. I think he earned his spot, will get a lot of snaps, and he'll be productive.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A running game and a little more time and IMO his weapons are fine. He is a very good QB and the grass ISN'T always greener.

tonyl711

Starter
Stedman Bailey will be huge in 2014, I think. I think he earned his spot, will get a lot of snaps, and he'll be productive.
I think Bailey will be our most productive WR before its all said and done, he had outrageous numbers in college, and was coming on strong when he got his chance this year.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I think that Schottenheimer is a complete failure as an OC. Unimaginative design and play-calling, inability to use his players the way they should be used and those things make it impossible to adjust during the game or to gameplan a new game.

I haven't done any research or experiments on the subject, but I am pretty the team would play a lot better with a wet papersack as the OC.

I also think he holds Bradford back. Someone needs to light a fire under Sam's butt and tell him to take more chances down the field. The TD to Int ratio that people point out as Sam "having a great start to this year" shows me that he doesn't take enough chances; IMO. Take more chances at the top routes and both numbers will go up proportionally (not to mention how that will improve the run game) and give us more wins. This 1 read and done mentality isn't going to get us anywhere. I real OC and/or Qb coach would change his reads to top down instead of Bottom up.

A third year with Schottenheimer just what SB needs?? No way

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Schottenheimer really has never impressed me but I don't think it matters much. I don't see why everyone is so locked in on Bradford all the time and him having to improve or be trashed. Bradford is a solid QB that played very well this season before his injury. He doesn't need to be a top 5 QB for this team to have success and frankly I don't think Schotty could put any top 5 pieces together in this offense but that's perfectly fine. As long as we focus on building a defensive unit similar to the rest of our division then we will have a Super Bowl contending team despite an average offense. It's the exact model that Seattle won with. It's a copycat league

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Maybe it's just me, but a stable pocket and time to throw would be the biggest improvement.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Bradford needs a Good OL and for Quick and Stedman/ Austin to develop into quality NFL receivers. If that happens expect the run game to improve and for Pead to have his breakout season.