Coaches hired and fired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well, he's learned from Billicheat.
I believe Billicheat was to be the next HC of the jets, before switching gears and going with the Pats.
It was a long time ago, so don't quote me on this.
Your right!!(y)(y)

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
So yep - Robert Kraft gave McDaniels a promise ring (and rumor has it: it's not a ring that goes on your finger)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://clutchpoints.com/colts-rumor-patriots-owner-robert-kraft-trying-screw-over-indy-deflategate/

New England had just finished obliterating Indianapolis 45-7 in the 2014-15 AFC Championship Game when it was revealed that the Patriots had deliberately under-inflated balls at the request of quarterback Tom Brady. The franchise was heavily-penalized for the controversy and wound up being fined $1 million and two draft picks. Meanwhile, Brady had to serve a four-game suspension in 2016.

The Colts made the initial complaint to the league office.

While Kraft’s reported actions may have been a bit petty, members of the Patriots organization have been known to hold grudges. The Cleveland Browns inquired about possibly trading for former quarterback Jimmy Garappolo during the 2017 season. Despite reportedly having the best offer, Belichick had no intention of providing a franchise quarterback to the organization that fired him over 20 years ago.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Pure speculation on my part, you guys have covered all my other thoughts, do you think that Andrew Luck's injury continues to haunt him, and may be possibly a career ending one? That could change some minds, I'd think.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Pure speculation on my part, you guys have covered all my other thoughts, do you think that Andrew Luck's injury continues to haunt him, and may be possibly a career ending one? That could change some minds, I'd think.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ew-luck-doesnt-need-more-surgery-on-shoulder/

Colts believe Andrew Luck doesn’t need more surgery on shoulder
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 7, 2018

862145062.jpg

Getty Images

Andrew Luck still hasn’t picked up a football or thrown one.

But Colts General Manager Chris Ballard insisted that the Colts quarterback’s health shouldn’t have been a factor in any decision by Josh McDaniels to back out of his agreement to coach there.

“At this point we feel very strongly that Andrew Luck is in a good place,” Ballard said. “We don’t believe he needs surgery, . . .

“We’re very confident he’s going to prove people wrong.”

Ballard said Luck was still in the process of strengthening the shoulder, and that “he’s not going to skip a step.”

Regardless the drama around their coaching situation, the health of their quarterback remains the most important element of their future. And recent reports suggested he’s nearing the point where he’ll start throwing again, under the guidance of some off-site quarterback gurus who have worked with a number of top passers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/07/report-bob-lamonte-fires-josh-mcdaniels/

Bob Lamonte fires Josh McDaniels
Posted by Mike Florio on February 7, 2018

The Colts wanted to hire him, and now his agent is firing him.

According to Dan Graziano of ESPN.com, agent Bob Lamonte is terminating his relationship with Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

Lamonte represented both McDaniels and Colts G.M. Chris Ballard throughout the process, and it’s was Lamonte’s responsibility to thread the needle and/or land the plane. He failed, either because he didn’t know his client well enough or he wasn’t paying enough attention to the warning signs before telling his other client, Ballard, that everything would be OK.

Regardless, it appears that Lamonte is breaking up with McDaniels before McDaniels can break up with Lamonte. Anyone else who is represented by Lamonte, or who is considering hiring him, should be paying close attention to Lamonte’s role in this mess — and his apparent effort to shirk any and all responsibility for it by trying to pin it all on his client through leaks to the media.

What Lamonte should be doing is defending McDaniels. The fact that Lamonte represents Ballard as well makes that impossible — a fact that should open the eyes of plenty of coaches and General Managers to the rampant conflicts of interest among the small handful of agents who represent the bulk of the people who run NFL teams.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://clutchpoints.com/colts-rumor-patriots-owner-robert-kraft-trying-screw-over-indy-deflategate/

New England had just finished obliterating Indianapolis 45-7 in the 2014-15 AFC Championship Game when it was revealed that the Patriots had deliberately under-inflated balls at the request of quarterback Tom Brady. The franchise was heavily-penalized for the controversy and wound up being fined $1 million and two draft picks. Meanwhile, Brady had to serve a four-game suspension in 2016.

While Kraft’s reported actions may have been a bit petty, members of the Patriots organization have been known to hold grudges. The Cleveland Browns inquired about possibly trading for former quarterback Jimmy Garappolo during the 2017 season. Despite reportedly having the best offer, Belichick had no intention of providing a franchise quarterback to the organization that fired him over 20 years ago.
NE can't win the media war, period.

With the exception of a few (PK, for example), I'd guess the majority of non-NE writers don't like the owner or coach.

These are all rumors but paint a picture that is plausible... it's been going on for a while now:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...drama-sparks-dysfunction-patriots/1006630001/
Report: Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft drama sparks dysfunction with Patriots
Scott Gleeson, USA TODAY SportsPublished 8:22 a.m. ET Jan. 5, 2018 | Updated 12:32 p.m. ET Jan. 5, 2018
New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft, coach Bill Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady have had significant disagreements this season — behind closed doors — that have led to dysfunction and threaten to end an owner-coach-quarterback relationship that helped the franchise win five Super Bowls over the last 17 years, according to an ESPN report citing a dozen New England staffers, executives, players and other league sources.

Much of the friction stemmed from Brady's trainer, body coach and business partner Alex Guerrero, who helped Brady promote a training method both in his new book, "The TB12 Method," and within the team. The TB12 Method had a controversial philosophy on injury-recovery mindset and was loaded with so many rules that one unnamed Patriots staffer said in the ESPN report it "felt like a cult."

Guerrero, invited on the Patriots' staff as a consultant, would blame Patriots trainers for injuries. Belichick confronted Brady in early September about pressure that players were feeling by Guerrero to train at TB12 instead of with the team. There was no resolution to the meeting, ESPN reported. Belichick, in an effort to clarify Guerrero's role, later emailed Guerrero to let him know he wasn't permitted access to the team headquarters because he wasn't an employee.

Among the key disagreements among the three franchise leaders was who would be around last, as well as management of past controversies. Brady, according to the ESPN report, wanted backup QB Jimmy Garoppolo gone. The Patriots eventually dealt Garoppolo to the San Francisco 49ers.

The trade left Belichick feeling "furious and demoralized," while Brady's body language showed a "liberated" resolve. That outcome, a Patriots staffer told ESPN, showed Brady "won."

The story adds that in the midst of the internal dysfunction, Belichick has "become good friends" with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, meeting with him for a long and private meeting earlier this season.

Another claim: Kraft, according to the report, privately told associates that he went too far in his attacks against the NFL during the Deflategate scandal and penalty, but he was forced to support Brady "for the fans."

The Patriots addressed the story in a joint statement from Kraft, Belichick and Brady posted on Twitter Friday morning. It read, in part, that there have been "multiple media reports that have speculated theories that are unsubstantiated, highly exaggerated or flat out inaccurate."

View image on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Patriots/status/949308406879449089
New England Patriots

✔@Patriots

Joint statement from Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft, Head Coach Bill Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady:

9:55 AM - Jan 5, 2018

Psycho_X

Legend
Anyone else who is represented by Lamonte, or who is considering hiring him, should be paying close attention to Lamonte’s role in this mess — and his apparent effort to shirk any and all responsibility for it by trying to pin it all on his client through leaks to the media.

What Lamonte should be doing is defending McDaniels. The fact that Lamonte represents Ballard as well makes that impossible — a fact that should open the eyes of plenty of coaches and General Managers to the rampant conflicts of interest among the small handful of agents who represent the bulk of the people who run NFL teams.

I mean, from what has been said Kraft, Belicheat, and McDouche had closed door meetings all day yesterday. No one ever mentioned Lamonte. So if a deal was basically reached already with the Colts and without his presence or knowledge a new deal was struck between the Pats and McDouche then how is that Lamonte's fault? And him telling McDouche to F off should have come the instant he was notified of it happening if that's the case. The whole thing is just very strange and affirms my belief that it was mostly a ruse by the three of them to get revenge on the Colts. No one does a new deal without their agent.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Regardless, it appears that Lamonte is breaking up with McDaniels before McDaniels can break up with Lamonte. Anyone else who is represented by Lamonte, or who is considering hiring him, should be paying close attention to Lamonte’s role in this mess — and his apparent effort to shirk any and all responsibility for it by trying to pin it all on his client through leaks to the media.

Absent any subsequent revelation that Lamonte helped McDaniels negotiate his contract to stay in NE, this ^^^ is 100% on McDaniels. His agent did the right thing in advising him that he was making a huge professional mistake and McDaniels went ahead and made it anyway. Not to mention, he allowed himself to be used like a tool in Kraft's petty vendetta against the Colts. Lamonte isn't trying to simply "pin" the responsibility on McDaniels without justification, he's just telling it like it is.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...dumbest-move-ever-if-he-didnt-get-assurances/

Charlie Weis: McDaniels made “dumbest move” ever if he didn’t get assurances
Posted by Charean Williams on February 7, 2018

913434234-e1518043788894.jpg

Getty Images

Former Patriots assistant Charlie Weis had strong words for Josh McDaniels if the New England offensive coordinator failed to receive a firm commitment from the Patriots before backing out of the Colts’ job.

“If he’s not [the heir apparent], then that would’ve been the absolute dumbest move in the history of sports,” Weis said on SiriusXM, via Ben Volin of the Boston Globe.

PFT reported Tuesday that the Patriots haven’t promised McDaniels their head coaching job when Bill Belichick decides to leave. Still, McDaniels decided at the 12th hour to stay on as offensive coordinator in New England.

“I was absolutely shocked,” Weis said. “It’s like a slap in the face.”

Weis served as the Patriots’ offensive coordinator from 2000-04 and spent many years on the same staff as Belichick. Weis still believes McDaniels replaces Belichick when the time comes.

“In 31 cities, I’d say the odds of them hiring him [as head coach] would be slim to none,” Weis said. “But in one city, he’s endeared himself. Let me be the first to lay a wager in Las Vegas that when Belichick leaves, Josh McDaniels is the next head coach in New England. It’s like Secretariat running right now. I’d say the odds of that happening are almost a hundred percent.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...anging-assistants-out-to-dry-is-indefensible/

Tony Dungy: Josh McDaniels hanging assistants out to dry is indefensible
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 7, 2018

84165810-e1518037983949.jpg

Getty Images

Former Colts head coach Tony Dungy is not a fan of Josh McDaniels.

McDaniels spurned the Colts having already told the team that he’d take their head-coaching job and already told assistant coaches they’d have a job on his staff, and Dungy took to Twitter today to denounce McDaniels’ actions.

“I can tell you there is NO excuse big enough to justify this,” Dungy wrote. “It’s one thing to go back on your word to an organization. But having assistant coaches leave jobs to go with you then leave them out to dry is indefensible.”

Dungy said the fact that McDaniels hadn’t signed a contract doesn’t change the fact that McDaniels gave his word.

“You make those decisions before you say I Do. Don’t get married start a family then say I changed my mind. He didn’t sign the contract but he said I Do,” Dungy wrote. “That is common decency and integrity. You don’t do that to the families of your peers.”

Dungy also said he doesn’t blame the Patriots for keeping McDaniels, but does blame McDaniels for violating a trust within the coaching community.

“Has nothing to do with a Bob Kraft. This is all on Josh McDaniels. He’s a grown man and has to take responsibility for his decisions,” Dungy wrote. “I can tell you in the football coaching community it’s not even close to being acceptable.”

Dungy is no doubt far from alone in feeling that way. And when or if McDaniels does become a head coach again, he may have a hard time convincing assistant coaches that he’s a boss they’d want to work for.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Kraft is such a fucking child, I cannot wait for this to blow up in all of their faces. If any team even gives Josh McDaniels an interview next season, you know automatically that team is stupid. I wouldn't be shocked if Kraft fucks him over just like he does everyone else he can, and he doesn't get the HC job in NE either.

Regardless if he does take over for NE he'll fucking flop anyway. The team is about 2-3 years away from being a dumpster fire, and Josh, covered in gasoline looking at the guy with the box of matches decided to jump back in.

I don't feel bad for anyone at that organization.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, everyone communicates about Karma, but the New England Patriots get away with everything including this debacle and keep winning....Please can this franchise become the Cleveland Browns for the rest of my lifetime.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The author of that article should be fired. The Cleveland Browns didn’t fire Belichick, the Ravens did. I’m so tired of people getting that wrong

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The Cleveland Browns didn’t fire Belichick, the Ravens did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belichick#Cleveland_Browns_(1991–1995)

From 1991 until 1995, Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns.

In November 1995, in the middle of the ongoing football season, Browns owner Art Modell had announced he would move his franchise to Baltimore after the season. After first being given assurances that he would coach the transplanted Baltimore Ravens, Belichick was instead fired on February 14, 1996, one week after the shift was officially announced.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.weei.com/blogs/ryan-hann...open-my?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Bill Belichick reportedly will mentor Josh McDaniels with Patriots: 'I am going to open my world to you'
RYAN HANNABLE

belichick-mcdaniels_0.jpg

Winslow Townson/USA Today Sports

It's clear whatever was said in the reported meeting Tuesday between Bill Belichick, Josh McDaniels as well as Robert and Jonathan Kraft was what ultimately changed McDaniels' mind in not accepting the Colts' head-coaching job.

On Wednesday's noon edition of Sports Center, ESPN's Mike Reiss detailed what came out of the meeting.

"They say, would you consider staying if we did this? And the big question is what is this?" Reiss said. "There were two things I'm told that really made Josh McDaniels shift here. No. 1, Bill Belichick said to him, 'I want you to be by my side. I am going to open my world to you. Show you how I view roster building, how I look at financials and the salary cap.' To McDaniels, who is 41 years old, the chance to be with Belichick, arguably the greatest coach of all-time, 65 years old, to have that opportunity was viewed as to be extremely valuable to him.

"And the second part of this that appealed to Josh McDaniels was when the Patriots sort of sold him on the idea that his kids, who are 12, 10, 6 and 3, would have stability because they were willing to make a long-term commitment to him that in this coaching profession, it is hard to have your kids in the same school system for their entire youth. They were willing to make a commitment to him from a time-frame perspective that that was possible.

"So, Josh McDaniels takes that information that he didn't have up to this point. This is Tuesday and he didn't have that information. Now he did and he had to make that decision, do I stay with the Patriots or go with the Colts?"

This would say McDaniels has plans on staying with the Patriots for a long time and even if there wasn't any agreement that he would take over for Belichick when he decides to walk away, it seems the offensive coordinator is confident he has as good of a chance as anybody.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belichick#Cleveland_Browns_(1991–1995)

From 1991 until 1995, Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns.

In November 1995, in the middle of the ongoing football season, Browns owner Art Modell had announced he would move his franchise to Baltimore after the season. After first being given assurances that he would coach the transplanted Baltimore Ravens, Belichick was instead fired on February 14, 1996, one week after the shift was officially announced.
Right. It wasn’t the Browns

https://articles.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/02/why_its_wrong_to_say_the_brown.amp