Clowney gets another speeding ticket

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I wonder what it says about my character, seeing as I have roughly 40 speeding tickets since I got my license. The most recent of which was going 30MPH over the speed limit (97 in a 65). See, I think it only suggests I have a lead foot and like to drive fast. Nothing more.

P.S. Who *doesn't* go 84 on the interstate on occasion?

As far as the 84 if you won't go that fast you'l; get run over ,more of a hazard than if you do go 85[/quote]

Good thing you don't live in So. Cal " X " 40 speeding tickets would get your License Revoked for 2 lifetimes to start after your 5 year stint in the state pen
Yes most of us speed, the rest they lie

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good thing you don't live in So. Cal " X " 40 speeding tickets would get your License Revoked for 2 lifetimes to start after your 5 year stint in the state pen
Yes most of us speed, the rest they lie
Well, that's over the course of 32 years.
I beat a lot of them in court.
The rest ... driving school FTW.

iced

scared of a kid who moves faster off the field than on it this season

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Just to many other needs, on Defense alone we are thinner at Secondary and even Linebacker than we are at DL and that's not even addressing the OL, WR and etc...
I, like a lot of the folks on here don't want to draft Clowney because he's not seen as a needed player. Too many priority positions to fill. Please don't give me the "don't draft for need" stuff, I'm not buying!

DeaconJ

Rookie
DE with a diva WR mentality. No, I don't believe Fisher and Snead go there even with the obvious talent.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I, like a lot of the folks on here don't want to draft Clowney because he's not seen as a needed player. Too many priority positions to fill. Please don't give me the "don't draft for need" stuff, I'm not buying!

That's fair. Some believe that the draft is to be used to fill needs. Others believe that team needs don't influence player availability and that filling needs with lesser rated players may fill a position with a body, but may not fill said need at all.

Me? The draft is too much of a crapshoot, so I say take the BPA within reason and let the chips fall where they may.

iced

That's fair. Some believe that the draft is to be used to fill needs. Others believe that team needs don't influence player availability and that filling needs with lesser rated players may fill a position with a body, but may not fill said need at all.

Me? The draft is too much of a crapshoot, so I say take the BPA within reason and let the chips fall where they may.

does his work ethic not scare you?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
We're talking about a player who ate up most of his opposition last year, including upperclassmen. I'm not a betting man, and I'd still bet the effort he's giving is not about the entitlement of money, but about being his best for whichever team drafts him. Rookies in today's NFL don't make what they used to. Even top 5 draft picks are playing for that second contract.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ram Quixote cutting Clowney to much slack?:
We're talking about a player who ate up most of his opposition last year, including upperclassmen.
I think that if you check out my post (last post on page 4 of this thread) you'll find that statement doesn't appear to be true.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think that if you check out my post (last post on page 4 of this thread) you'll find that statement doesn't appear to be true.

Doesn't last year mean 2012?

Anyway, I watched a few of the games listed and Clowney created havoc in each of them. Now if you just check the stat line you might disagree. But, I saw teams giving him so much attention (double or tripled him / quick passes) and did their best to have their QB roll out away from him. And some of the sacks his teammates got could be attributed to his forces. However, if one wants to focus upon the sack stats then I can't argue against them. He only got three.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan

Legend
Memphis Ram's rebuttal:
Doesn't last year mean 2012?

Anyway, I watched a few of the games listed and Clowney created havoc in each of them. Now if you just check the stat line you might disagree. But, I saw teams giving him so much attention (double or tripled him / quick passes) and did their best to have their QB roll out away from him. And some of the sacks his teammates got could be attributed to his forces. However, if one wants to focus upon the sack stats then I can't argue against them. He only got three.

Possibly but I took it to mean 2013.

Unlike you, I wasn't able to see any of the games except against Missouri so you might be in a better position to judge but so far I don't see it.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/24/mizzou-de-on-jadeveon-clowney-hes-not-god/
God would probably have more than two sacks in six games, so perhaps Mizzou defensive end Kony Ealy is on to something here.

For whatever the reason — illness, injury, opponent schemes, etc. — South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney only have two sacks through six games this year, although he looked more like his usual disruptive self last Saturday at Tennessee (2 1/2 tackles for loss, two quarterback hurries).

So when Ealy said this, he wasn’t necessarily taking a shot at Clowney, although read it how you will:

Ross Dellenger @Dellenger

Kony Ealy on South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney: "He's not God."

Of course, after last year’s “old man football” flap at Mizzou, maybe the SEC newbies — success aside — shouldn’t anger just yet.

On the flip side, though, Ealy has an up-close look at one of the nation’s most successful pass-rushers opposite him at defensive end. Michael Sam’s nine sacks are tied for the most among FBS players with Clemson’s Vic Beasley.

With three more sacks, Sam will break Aldon Smith’s Mizzou single-season sack record of 11 1/2. That’s not what God looks like, but it’s closer than what Clowney’s done this year.

PhxRam

maxresdefault.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hmmm... You may be on to something.

Here's the thing. Clowney may be so physically superior that he represents the next stage in human evolution. I don't care. I think (and feel free to say that I'm lying again if you'd like to) that he plays with no heart. That's my opinion.

There are people on here who love Clowney, and people, like me, who want no part of him.
I don't think there's much middle ground on this issue.

The issue is that JaMarcus Russell doesn't compare. He doesn't play DE. He played QB which is based more on cerebral ability than physical ability. So him having a cannon for an arm and being a great athlete does him not good when that's not the most important thing at the position.

Julius Peppers, Mario Williams and as Memphis said, Kevin Carter(a bit before my time), were all accused of not being hard workers when they were top prospects.

Sounds more like nitpicking to me.

Again, if the guy has no heart...why is he playing through a foot injury that needs surgery? Why has he played through that injury since September? Why wouldn't he get the surgery in September rather than keep himself from being able to be in peak shape for the combine if he gets it this off-season?

Doesn't sound to me like a guy with no heart.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From Walter Football
http://walterfootball.com/draft2014OT.php

Quite a few OTs (many of them not very highly rated) had good success against Clowney. Why? This is only from 2013 so his injury might be part of it but could a large part also be due to lack of effort?

Because it's Walterfootball.

Richardson was not successful against Clowney in 2013. He was better in 2012 and even then, Clowney managed the game winning strip sack. Clowney thoroughly dominated Richardson. Consistently pushed him around when rushing the passer, made 5 or so hits in the back-field against the run and pressured the QB quite a bit. Feel free to watch and judge for yourself:

James Hurst? Bull. North Carolina ran screen after screen when Clowney was on the field and was completely unsuccessful on offense that game because they were so worried about him. And he still missed 2 or 3 sacks in that game by just a hair. Again, feel free to watch and judge for yourself:

Clowney strip sack vs. Vandy:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9675244

As far as Taylor Lewan goes, he did a solid job against Clowney but Clowney still made 2 TFLs including that monster forced fumble, a couple tackles right at the LOS and drew a holding call when Lewan grabbed him because Clowney was about to sack the QB. Lewan also got away with hands to the face on a few plays to slow down Clowney.

Again, if having a good/solid day against Clowney is giving him a number of double teams, throwing a ton of short passes and still allowing him to make multiple tackles in the back-field against the run while also pressuring the QB quite a bit in the passing game...I think that speaks to how highly people think of him.

Here's a good article on rotoworld about how Clowney's stats don't accurately represent his impact:
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/44661/321/disruption-is-production

Last edited by a moderator:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Im thinkin Atlanta might want to trade up for him they have no pass rush

Alan

Legend
jrry32 asking:
Again, if the guy has no heart...why is he playing through a foot injury that needs surgery? Why has he played through that injury since September? Why wouldn't he get the surgery in September rather than keep himself from being able to be in peak shape for the combine if he gets it this off-season?
Players rarely get drafted as high as they should/would when they have missed most if not all of their last year in college before the draft. Quinn is a prime example. I'm not saying that's his motivation but it's a red flag. Teams aren't often given the opportunity to draft in the top 5 and failing to draft a premium player can set your organization back for years. The smart money rarely takes big chances.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with some visuals:
Richardson was not successful against Clowney in 2013. He was better in 2012 and even then, Clowney managed the game winning strip sack. Clowney thoroughly dominated Richardson. Consistently pushed him around when rushing the passer, made 5 or so hits in the back-field against the run and pressured the QB quite a bit. Feel free to watch and judge for yourself:

James Hurst? Bull. North Carolina ran screen after screen when Clowney was on the field and was completely unsuccessful on offense that game because they were so worried about him. And he still missed 2 or 3 sacks in that game by just a hair. Again, feel free to watch and judge for yourself:

Clowney strip sack vs. Vandy:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9675244

As far as Taylor Lewan goes, he did a solid job against Clowney but Clowney still made 2 TFLs including that monster forced fumble, a couple tackles right at the LOS and drew a holding call when Lewan grabbed him because Clowney was about to sack the QB. Lewan also got away with hands to the face on a few plays to slow down Clowney.

Again, if having a good/solid day against Clowney is giving him a number of double teams, throwing a ton of short passes and still allowing him to make multiple tackles in the back-field against the run while also pressuring the QB quite a bit in the passing game...I think that speaks to how highly people think of him.

Here's a good article on rotoworld about how Clowney's stats don't accurately represent his impact:
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/44661/321/disruption-is-production

Looks like some great stuff! I'll look at it tomorrow when I'm in better condition.

Keep in mind though that I'm not saying he hasn't played well in college cause he has. He's not rated the number one DE because he looks good in a uniform. However, I'm sure you or I (probably only you) could come up with some great visual evidence that would make the same case for other DEs too. Because others have performed at a very high level too. That doesn't mean it will translate to the NFL just like it did in college or that he's that much better than other DEs with better stats.

I gather you don't like Walter Football. I've found them to be pretty accurate in their assessments over the years. They're not my favorites but I do like their evaluations. Plus they're around all year and free.:D

Again though, thanks for all your hard work. It's much appreciated.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like some great stuff! I'll look at it tomorrow when I'm in better condition.

Keep in mind though that I'm not saying he hasn't played well in college cause he has. He's not rated the number one DE because he looks good in a uniform. However, I'm sure you or I (probably only you) could come up with some great visual evidence that would make the same case for other DEs too. Because others have performed at a very high level too. That doesn't mean it will translate to the NFL just like it did in college or that he's that much better than other DEs with better stats.

I gather you don't like Walter Football. I've found them to be pretty accurate in their assessments over the years. They're not my favorites but I do like their evaluations. Plus they're around all year and free.:D

Again though, thanks for all your hard work. It's much appreciated.

Check it out when you can. You may not agree with me and you're more than entitled to not agree. I respect your opinion. But when I see a guy nearly sack the QB 3 or 4 times(North Carolina), I wouldn't say they held the DE in check. And while Tennessee didn't allow him to get after Worley(their QB) as much in the passing game(he still pressured him a few times)...Clowney was a dominant run stuffer in that game(hit the runner in the back-field at least 5 different times during that game).

I do not like Walter Football. Never have been a big fan and my opinion of them was significantly lowered based on how they rated Clausen and Sam a few years ago. I was not a fan of Clausen...loved Sam and couldn't understand what they saw in Clausen to rank him so much higher than Sam.

But over the years, I've found myself disagreeing with their evaluations a lot.

Players rarely get drafted as high as they should/would when they have missed most if not all of their last year in college before the draft. Quinn is a prime example. I'm not saying that's his motivation but it's a red flag. Teams aren't often given the opportunity to draft in the top 5 and failing to draft a premium player can set your organization back for years. The smart money rarely takes big chances.

Sam did. I remember scouts saying before the year that Clowney could sit out the year and still go top 3 if he spent the year working out and getting in NFL shape. But...that could also be total BS.

Im thinkin Atlanta might want to trade up for him they have no pass rush

I think they might too. Plus our Front Offices have a really good working relationship due to Snead being a former Falcon. I'd be fine with that if they make a good offer. Good still draft a top OT or another top tier player.