Clowney gets another speeding ticket

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Clowney is in a unique situation. After such a productive season, the expectations were high. But you could also sense that a lot of things were influencing how he prepared for the season. A player like that, as young as he is, is easily manipulated. And that youth is also a selling point. What team doesn't want to mold a player like Clowney?

Think about it. Clowney isn't using drugs or alcohol. He wasn't caught and suspended for an entire season like Quinn. All he has done is press too much on the gas pedal, show willfullness and a lack of character when it comes to being a team player. The key here is that he's young.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Clowney is in a unique situation. After such a productive season, the expectations were high. But you could also sense that a lot of things were influencing how he prepared for the season. A player like that, as young as he is, is easily manipulated. And that youth is also a selling point. What team doesn't want to mold a player like Clowney?

Think about it. Clowney isn't using drugs or alcohol. He wasn't caught and suspended for an entire season like Quinn. All he has done is press too much on the gas pedal, show willfullness and a lack of character when it comes to being a team player. The key here is that he's young.

I agree with this. I can't tell you how many stupid things i did when i was his age. Imagine you were his age, and people telling you that you could make millions and be so great, as long as you didn't get injured. What would you do? I'd probably lay low and wait to go balls to the wall till i got that money.

Now the difference is, i never played football, and if i did, don't know if i could hold back a whole season. It is an ugly situation, but it all comes down to this: He is looking out for #1. And that is what most players do. Most aren't considered #1/#2 overall picks before they are draft eligible, so it is hard to blame the guy at his age and the influences surrounding him to look out for his future.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tron's view on the Clown:
It is an ugly situation, but it all comes down to this: He is looking out for #1. And that is what most players do. Most aren't considered #1/#2 overall picks before they are draft eligible, so it is hard to blame the guy at his age and the influences surrounding him to look out for his future.

I disagree that any of the really good players just look out for #1. That's why you see so many great players playing injured when their job isn't on the line. It's extremely rare for a really good player to have that kind of attitude and when they do, they usually lose their edge quickly. Just my opinion of course.

The original speeding ticket doesn't bother me. The second ticket doesn't bother me either without the other stuff. Taken all together and it's a different story in my mind.

Of course now that I've said that he'll be a perennial PB player.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The problem with this whole situation starts and stops with "The Old Ball Coach". Clowney isn't the first player to have questionable work ethic in this program prior to the draft. (A. Jeffrey anyone?)

When the whole "miscommunication" and subsequent missing of practice occurred, Spurrier goes in front of the media and "defends" his star by saying
"even if he never plays another down of football here, the Univ of South Carolina should be thankful" that he chose to play there in the first place. He creates an atmosphere where there are different rules for the "student-athlete". Do you think for one second if that were some 3rd string CB he would have made that statement?

Can you for even one second, imagine those words coming out of Nick Saban's mouth? I've seen coaches like this in other sports. They are far less concerned with the player, especially when its a perceived "5-Star" recruit. Get as many of them as you can, and just keep regurgitating them. Be thankful for whatever you get out of them, and at least we don't have to worry about playing AGAINST them.

If you were a member of that team and saw that circus play out everyday, how would you be motivated to "put the team first"?

Yep. Media slandered Jeffery's character the same way they have Clowney's.

It's the way things are run at South Carolina...and it starts with Spurrier. He's a great coach but he doesn't run a tight ship and he's not the type of coach that spends his life in the office. The star players in the program don't do that much when Spurrier isn't around which is more often than it should be. And I don't think very highly of our position coaches.

And I know that a lot of football players smoke weed and party hard. But it's college and pretty much everyone does. I think people forget that these guys aren't perfect role models. They didn't ask to be put on a pedestal. They're college kids prone to making dumb decisions.

Clowney has never been arrested for a bar fight or hitting a woman or stealing a car...or any other reason. The media has made it their mission to tear the guy down this year and Spurrier didn't help with what was a miscommunication between him, Clowney and the training staff.

For all those claiming Clowney is dogging it and doesn't care, he could have sat out the year and still been a top 3 pick. He is playing with a foot injury that needs surgery. But the guy doesn't care. He doesn't want to play. He only cares about himself. Yea, right. If that is true...why wouldn't he shut it down as soon as his foot injury happened? And for reference, it happened in the first few weeks of the season. Instead, he's going to get his surgery AFTER the season. Which will hurt his ability to prepare for the combine.

But all you'll hear is how he doesn't care. That sounds like a guy that doesn't care.

As far as this thread goes...are we really making a thread about a SPEEDING TICKET? Why is that even news? I got a speeding ticket for going 75 in a 60 on my way home from South Carolina. Should that be news? Of all you guys posting in this thread, how many of you have never broken the speed limit?

As I said before, don't get fooled here. The media did this same thing to Alshon Jeffery. I said back then that they were full of it. Jeffery was a great talent and clearly had a passion for the game. I'll say it now. I have watched Clowney during his entire career at SC. I have seen many of his games in person. I have met him. I lived in the same dorm as him last year. I have had classes with him. Clowney has his warts as a person...but the guy does not lack passion for football. The guy loves football.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree that any of the really good players just look out for #1. That's why you see so many great players playing injured when their job isn't on the line. It's extremely rare for a really good player to have that kind of attitude and when they do, they usually lose their edge quickly. Just my opinion of course.

The original speeding ticket doesn't bother me. The second ticket doesn't bother me either without the other stuff. Taken all together and it's a different story in my mind.

Of course now that I've said that he'll be a perennial PB player.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-will-need-surgery-on-bone-spurs-after-season
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...eon-clowney-plays-well-aggravates-foot-injury

Doesn't really fit the "he only cares about himself" narrative. Delaying the surgery allows him to play for the team's benefit...but it hurts his performance and forces him to play in pain. It also likely will keep him from being able to participate in the NFL Combine.

If he really didn't care, why wouldn't he have just gotten the surgery in September?

Sapp slid because he tested positive for marijuana.
No one (repeat no one) was questioning his work ethic or skill. There are multiple instances of both with Clowney.

People questioned Julius Peppers's work ethic.

Nobody questions Clowney's skill.

I get what you're saying, but none of the players you listed have had a trail of red flags like Clowney.

What? Ogletree was suspended for theft in his freshman year in college then suspended for failing a drug test his junior year in college and was hit with a DUI prior to the Draft. Jenkins was booted from Florida after being arrested multiple times and failing drug test after drug test. Trumaine Johnson was arrested for Disorderly Conduct.

In fact, here's Trumaine Johnson's scouting report from Pro Football Weekly:
Negatives:
Has faced marginal competition and too often will play down to its level and coast on his athletic talent. Questionable work habits and makeup — did not work in the classroom, has been described as “self-centered” and will require maintenance to keep him in line. Selective tackler and toughness — does not always bring it (although clearly will strike when he wants to). Slowed by injuries early in his career. Clocked average 10-yard split at the Combine (1.65 seconds).

But yea, Clowney is the one with the trail of red flags, not the guys with multiple arrests and suspensions in college.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha

How'd you like watching us walk-on-water in the swamp a few weeks back?

It wasn't meant as an insult, if anything it was a complement they teach you well.

You've had a very good season, you even have a chance at beating a top 10 team for the first time since...since...erm since...:confused:.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Ok, I'm not on the Clowney bandwagon in the slightest...but to call 2 speeding tickets alarming is silly. I've gotten 2 speeding tickets in a week when I was that young. Good lord.

And how did he get a 30-50K car? Really? It's not like that is unheard of in todays world...not like he's driving around in a Mazerati. If he's getting booster money or whatever who knows, but just simply having that kind of car doesn't make it a fact.

Clowney, the next Lawerence Phillips???? REALLY?! Yeah, a couple speeding tickets is EXACTLY like assaulting a female!

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with some pertinent new info:
Doesn't really fit the "he only cares about himself" narrative. Delaying the surgery allows him to play for the team's benefit...but it hurts his performance and forces him to play in pain. It also likely will keep him from being able to participate in the NFL Combine.

If he really didn't care, why wouldn't he have just gotten the surgery in September?

I was commenting about his general statement about all players looking out for themselves first and not specifically about Clowney.

As for Clowney, I just read both of those stories and while I know that they only tell part of the story they do leave me somewhat conflicted about his situation. Possibly I've been too hard on him but when your own coach (among others if I remember right) rags on you there is normally some fire with that smoke. I think we need to look at the whole picture. Unfortunately, now I'm not 100% sure I know the whole story. I have refused to start looking seriously at the draft and the draft prospects until after the season is over so my info is limited to what I've picked up casually. Thanks for those articles. I'm sure they will have an effect on my viewpoint when I do finally get serious about the draft.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Here is my take on Clowney...he is a guy whose reputation BLEW up after one monster hit. Since then he has been regarded as the best DE in college, some even said he be the best in the NFL. He had to return to college even though it was evident he didn't want to. Not wanted to play college ball at this point he is going through the motions.

Alan

Legend
Let me just add that I don't want to draft Clowney regardless of what his story really is. I just don't see how we can afford Clowney, Quinn and Long all at once. I certainly want to extend Quinn and much of Long's salary is probably guaranteed. In addition, we have some major holes on the O-line and at CB and S that take precedence IMO.

Sum1BTRthnU adding:
Here is my take on Clowney...he is a guy whose reputation BLEW up after one monster hit. Since then he has been regarded as the best DE in college, some even said he be the best in the NFL. He had to return to college even though it was evident he didn't want to. Not wanted to play college ball at this point he is going through the motions.

That was/is my take too.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It wasn't meant as an insult, if anything it was a complement they teach you well.

You've had a very good season, you even have a chance at beating a top 10 team for the first time since...since...erm since...:confused:.

Since you live across the pond, you may not have a true sense of the rivalry that exists between our teams. Here in Florida, there is a crystal clear understanding...

Good luck in your Bowl game.

SC-Ram78

Rookie
Sapp slid because he tested positive for marijuana.
No one (repeat no one) was questioning his work ethic or skill. There are multiple instances of both with Clowney.
Since when has clowney's skill ever been questioned? He is one of the most complete athletes that have come out in the last 10 years. I agree that speeding tickets are alot different them testing positive for pot

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Let me just add that I don't want to draft Clowney regardless of what his story really is. I just don't see how we can afford Clowney, Quinn and Long all at once. I certainly want to extend Quinn and much of Long's salary is probably guaranteed. In addition, we have some major holes on the O-line and at CB and S that take precedence IMO.

That was/is my take too.
I think they would have to trade Long at some point. And I don't know if they would really want to trade him right away. Quinn is getting better at defending the run, yes. But do they really want to wait for Clowney to become a more complete defensive end in the same mold?

As you said they have other needs, and on defense they have to address the secondary, both free safety and corner. Not only would a strong secondary get Long more sacks, but they would help us to play tighter coverage, maybe run more blitzes and a very good free safety will help with the run. So if they add youth on defense this year it needs to be at a position of need so that the defensive line can remain a consistent anchor for this young defense.

It just doesn't make sense to draft a defensive end when they have so many other holes to fill. The Jake Long injury really hurt this team and they will have to address some serious needs on the offensive line. If they can't make a good trade down, they'll take Matthews, but I really think there's another beneficial trade in the Rams future.

For the record, complaining about two speeding tickets sounds like an NFL team is paying the media in an attempt to push him further down on the draft board for their own gain. Seriously, that's just silly. If it were a DUI, that's different, but we're talking about speeding tickets.

And don't get me wrong, I'm a defense first kind of guy, especially when it comes to my Rams who are on the cusp of having a great defense that becomes a true identity for this team, allows Sam to run a no huddle more often and is competitive with our division. But defensive end is the wrong upgrade ... at this time. Heck I still think if they wanted to improve the line more they get another tackle that could truly compliment Brockers with a good speed/bull rush combo up the middle to REALLY take this defensive line over the top to flat out scary.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

THIS. Tis this season....for overanalyzing everything.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

It's a bit bothersome if in fact he is coasting through, that's not something I'd rate as a positive if I were a scout or GM.

Alan

Legend
Well said Zaphod!

Except for the conspiracy part. :lol:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Just to many other needs, on Defense alone we are thinner at Secondary and even Linebacker than we are at DL and that's not even addressing the OL, WR and etc...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...wney-needs-tough-coach-to-motivate-him-in-nfl

Jadeveon Clowney needs tough coach to motivate him in NFL

In order to be a star in the NFL, you have to perform at a high-level on every play, in every game. That's what separates the guys who are All-Pros, Pro Bowlers, and eventually Hall of Famers -- guys like Ray Lewis or Jack Lambert. Those were players who went all out and consistently were aggressive, and they produced like stars because of it.

When I watch Jadeveon Clowney on the field, I don't see this. There's no question about his athletic ability or his combination of size and speed, but the best way to describe him this season would be that he is inconsistent as a performer.

Recently, I studied tape of a handful of Clowney's games this season and was especially intrigued by his performances against Missouri and Mississippi State. If you compare those two games, it looks like you're watching two different players. Against Missouri, Clowney was making outstanding plays and chasing players all around the field. He gave consistent effort and showed the talent and athleticism that he exhibited in 2012, when he made many believe he will be a star in the pros. In the Mississippi State game, he was OK but did not look anything like the player I saw against Missouri. He did not look special and wasn't very productive, finishing with only two tackles.

This is the kind of inconsistency that I'm referring to. Clowney has all the physical talent in the world, but he does not consistently play up to that potential on every down, week to week.
Whenever Clowney decides to come out for the draft, I believe he has got to go to a team that has a tough-minded defensive line coach. He needs a coach who is not only skilled with the X's and O's but has got the type of strong makeup that will make Clowney perform on a consistent basis. I'm talking about guys like Mike Trgovac, the Green Bay defensive line coach, and Rod Marinelli, who coaches the Cowboys' line. There are certain coaches who know how to be great motivators and can get the most out of their players. This will be critical for Clowney. A good recent example of a player Marinelli coached to his potential was Julius Peppers, who has faced questions about his consistency throughout his career but played up to his high ability when Marinelli was on the Bears' staff.

From Alabama all the way down to Navy, Bucky Brooks ranks every bowl team -- all 70 of them -- based on the quality of each team's top NFL draft prospects. More ...
Clowney has a tough matchup coming up in the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1, when he will face Wisconsin's talented left tackle, Ryan Groy. Groy is an all-conference player and a three-year starter with good size and long arms. If Clowney comes out for the draft, as most expect him to, this will be his last chance to impress people in pads and in a game situation. I expect him to blow everyone away when he does his drills -- showing off his vertical leap, speed and strength -- but you don't get to see a player's consistency at the combine, you only see his athletic ability. I'm very interested to see how Clowney does against Groy, and I'm sure nearly every scout out there will say the same.

One other important thing for Clowney that I saw in his game tapes is that he needs to learn some additional pass-rush moves. He's got a good first-step get-off, which is very important in rushing the passer, but he's got to make all the rest of his steps count. You can have an offensive lineman beat, but you've got to continue to have him beat -- in other words, don't let him recover because you've slacked off a bit. Clowney will have more time to develop these moves in the pros than he did in college, which has a 20-hour-a-week rule for its players, and I think if he has a defensive line coach like a Marinelli or a Trgovac, they will get him to take those skills and make an impact with them more consistently.

The bottom line on Clowney is this -- I believe he will be a top 7 or 8 pick, conceivably higher, if he comes out for this year's draft, but his ceiling is as high as he desires it to be. He can be an All-Pro, or he can be just another starter that teams will not be really pleased with. If he consistently plays up to his potential, then I think he will be a Pro Bowler. If he doesn't, he'll be just another guy on a football team who was drafted too high.