Clowney gets another speeding ticket

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Since when has clowney's skill ever been questioned? He is one of the most complete athletes that have come out in the last 10 years. I agree that speeding tickets are alot different them testing positive for pot

I agree. Clowney is a great athlete, but that's not what I'm talking about when I talk about "skill".

Clowney has always been bigger, stronger, and faster than about 90% of the people he's played against so he's basically just been able to run over and by people without much effort. That's not skill, that's God doing you a favor. He's never really had to learn techniques to get by physically superior opponents and it shows.

When Clowney goes against linemen that are better "technicians" (for lack of a better word) he basically disappears. Now this is in college, where most of the guys he's facing won't play at the next level. Yes, he faces a lot of double teams, but so did Sapp and Suh. They still made their presence felt consistently.

Also, I could care less about speeding, pot, or whatever these guys do off of the field. Most of them have been so catered to that they don't think the rules apply to them, so it's no surprise when they do stupid stuff. Clowney's main problem has always been his work ethic. I don't see a huge pile of money helping him with that.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Too many needs to draft a DE?
Cue my mantra............
The 2014 NFL Draft isn't just about the 2014 NFL Season and needs change every year.
Remember when CB was a strong point last year?

- You don't pass on Adrian Peterson because you just signed Chester Taylor (1200 + rushing yards) to a nice contract the year before.

- You don't pass on Calvin Johnson because the prior season Roy Williams made the Pro Bowl, Mike Furrey almost has 100 receptions, and you signed Shaun McDonald (wound up with 79 receptions for 943 yards) before the draft.

- You don't pass on Larry Fitzgerald because Andre Boldin is coming off a career year and you spent a 1st round pick on WR Bryant Johnson the year before.

- And the Giants didn't win their 2nd Super Bowl in 5-6 years passing on DE Jason Pierre-Paul with Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, and Chris Canty already on the roster.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Memphis Ram seeing the light:
Too many needs to draft a DE

I knew my superior superior logic would win you over. :bigup:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. Clowney is a great athlete, but that's not what I'm talking about when I talk about "skill".

Clowney has always been bigger, stronger, and faster than about 90% of the people he's played against so he's basically just been able to run over and by people without much effort. That's not skill, that's God doing you a favor. He's never really had to learn techniques to get by physically superior opponents and it shows.

When Clowney goes against linemen that are better "technicians" (for lack of a better word) he basically disappears. Now this is in college, where most of the guys he's facing won't play at the next level. Yes, he faces a lot of double teams, but so did Sapp and Suh. They still made their presence felt consistently.

Also, I could care less about speeding, pot, or whatever these guys do off of the field. Most of them have been so catered to that they don't think the rules apply to them, so it's no surprise when they do stupid stuff. Clowney's main problem has always been his work ethic. I don't see a huge pile of money helping him with that.

There are no physically superior opponents. And what you're saying isn't true from my observations. Clowney actually has better technical skills than Robert Quinn did coming out. He anticipates the snap better than Quinn, is quicker out of his stance and has a more developed set of pass rush moves than Quinn did.

Clowney isn't polished but he's not raw either.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I wonder what it says about my character, seeing as I have roughly 40 speeding tickets since I got my license. The most recent of which was going 30MPH over the speed limit (97 in a 65). See, I think it only suggests I have a lead foot and like to drive fast. Nothing more.

P.S. Who *doesn't* go 84 on the interstate on occasion?

PhxRam

I wonder what it says about my character, seeing as I have roughly 40 speeding tickets since I got my license. The most recent of which was going 30MPH over the speed limit (97 in a 65). See, I think it only suggests I have a lead foot and like to drive fast. Nothing more.

I have never had a speeding ticket.

I guess that makes me a model citizen.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have never had a speeding ticket.

I guess that makes me a model citizen.
We both know that's not the case. lol.

Honestly, some people like to speed ... and some don't.
I don't think it's an indictment of anyone's character if they like to drive fast.

PhxRam

We both know that's not the case. lol.

Honestly, some people like to speed ... and some don't.
I don't think it's an indictment of anyone's character if they like to drive fast.

My lack of speed comes from being a hourly union employee.. :lol:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My lack of speed comes from being a hourly union employee.. :lol:
As was I. For about 12 years. Elevator mechanic who had to drive from building to building - day and night, night and day. Bleh. Most of the time my radar detector would give me advance warning, but then they started changing bands and then started using that "instant on" shit instead of the constant beam.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
There are no physically superior opponents. And what you're saying isn't true from my observations. Clowney actually has better technical skills than Robert Quinn did coming out. He anticipates the snap better than Quinn, is quicker out of his stance and has a more developed set of pass rush moves than Quinn did.

I agree. Clowney is physically superior. The same way that Jamarcus Russell was superior to the other QBs the year he entered the draft (before the post draft weight gain of course).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. Clowney is physically superior. The same way that Jamarcus Russell was superior to the other QBs the year he entered the draft (before the post draft weight gain of course).

No. I don't think you do agree if you're bringing up JaMarcus Russell.

Last edited by a moderator:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
There are but a few topics on the ROD that polarize our community. To Bradford not to Bradford, Pead or no Pead, Shotty no Shotty
and Now Clowney.
The debates are healthy when not taken personal (which they are not) and just remember every coach, scout and GM has missed. Be certain that they are more informed, versed and knowledgeable than us.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

I've only see Clowney play once against Mizzou and there was a baseball game on at the same bar, but he never wowed me,so I'd sort of think whoever he lined up acroos from might be a 2-3 round o lineman.

As far as all the knocks on him,right now I'm thinking about all the stuff about Alshon Jeffery, however we ALL know jocks get passes if they act right so ya gotta wonder if he got the tickets because he got lippy instead of letting the cop give him a break.

BW jrry I reject that evaluation cuz nobody beats the Mighty Quin

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

That's why you aren't playing DE for the Rams dummy. They saw you as a character risk. :lol:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
My thing with the second ticket is this.

After the first one, especially with the media attention given to him when he opted not to play or whatever, he should have been smart enough to listen to his agent or whomever who had to be telling him to lay low and behave himself. But he didn't and that concerns me when it gets blended into the work ethic issue.

Now how much of that work ethic thing is real and how much is media hype is hard for us to know because we aren't talking to his coaches and trainers and team mates. But if it is real it'll only get worse when he has 20 million dollars. It's pretty rare for a guy with questionable work ethic to change after being handed millions of dollars.

That's why I think it's a risk I'd rather let another team take.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

Yeah don't know if you ever noticed but 90% of the traffic stops on the Fla turnpike of out of staters is going NORTH,I always figured they were unwilling to piss you off on your way into the tourist traps but on the way home, who cares we got you money

As far as the 84 if you won't go that fast you'l; get run over ,more of a hazard than if you do go 85

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah don't know if you ever noticed but 90% of the traffic stops on the Fla turnpike of out of staters is going NORTH,I always figured they were unwilling to piss you off on your way into the tourist traps but on the way home, who cares we got you money

As far as the 84 if you won't go that fast you'l; get run over ,more of a hazard than if you do go 85

If you're going across Alligator Alley 85 MPH won't keep you up with traffic sometimes. Many people are going at speeds up to 100 MPH. My first trip across I was cruising at 95 when a white Rolls Royce with blacked out windows went blowing by. My guess is he was going 20 MPH faster than me.

On I-75 in this area here, SWFL, it's pretty typical to go 80-85, almost everyone is going that fast and the police, when you do see them, aren't pulling anyone over for it.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
No. I don't think you do agree if you're bringing up JaMarcus Russell.

Hmmm... You may be on to something.

Here's the thing. Clowney may be so physically superior that he represents the next stage in human evolution. I don't care. I think (and feel free to say that I'm lying again if you'd like to) that he plays with no heart. That's my opinion.

There are people on here who love Clowney, and people, like me, who want no part of him.
I don't think there's much middle ground on this issue.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
HMMMMM a disagreement about an agreement, I'm intrugued

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From Walter Football
http://walterfootball.com/draft2014OT.php

Taylor Lewan (rated #2 OT):
Against South Carolina's Jadeveon Clowney, Lewan held his own. He picked up his share of wins, but was also beaten for a tackle for a loss. Lewan was called for a holding and needed some double-team help, too. However, he wasn't beaten for a sack and Clowney didn't make him look bad. Against an elite superstar pass-rusher like Clowney, that was a good day for any tackle.

Antonio Richardson (rated #3 OT):
Richardson was jacked up for another shot at Jadeveon Clowney. In the beginning of the game, Clowney made some plays against him in run defense, but Richardson settled down and played well. He kept Clowney from recording a sack and did well in pass protection.

Richardson also held his own going against South Carolina superstar Jadeveon Clowney.

James Hurst (rated #10 OT):
Hurst answered doubters with a solid performance against Jadeveon Clowney in the season opener. Hurst won their one-on-ones and kept Clowney from getting to the quarterback.

JuWaun James (rated #13 OT):
James has played well for Tennessee overall, but he didn't play well against Florida. James played better in other games including South Carolina. He got some double-team help when going against Jadeveon Clowney, but James kept Clowney from recording a sack.

Wesley Johnson (rated #22 OT):
Johnson is an undersized, but versatile offensive lineman. He's played well in 2013 including a good performance against South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney.

Justin Britt (rated #23 OT):
Britt has produced a quality senior season playing left tackle after suffering an ACL tear in 2012. He held his own against Jadeveon Clowney while performing well against Tennessee.

Quite a few OTs (many of them not very highly rated) had good success against Clowney. Why? This is only from 2013 so his injury might be part of it but could a large part also be due to lack of effort?