Chandler Brewer Often Overlooked

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
In the midst of all the draft controversy is Chandler Brewer. IMO he is perhaps the most overlooked of all the linemen. When I look at the film of him I see a good OG, and perhaps a backup RT. I have yet to see enough to see if he has the feet for the left side but as a OG he would have pretty good feet giving him good mobility. I must confess even I have overlooked him but now after going over the roster, I must add him into the mix at OG / RT. IMO he's probably better right now than Havenstein. Brewer is a mauler and would be an asset in the run game. When you say that about a guy you normally see him at RG which I do.

Although he's played on both sides in college, the speed of the NFL is a huge difference. It's why I see him on the right side until I can see him perhaps in preseason at OT. Last year the Rams were high on him and apparently still are. Chandler gives them very good depth along the o-line this year, making it an interesting competition. I wouldn't discount him winning a start at either of the OG positions. Although the Rams list him as 6'6" he's closer to 6'5" by most measurements. At 320 lbs with over 34" arms he's built like a RG.

If the Rams go with Brewer and Allen they would have some real beef on that o-line with all of them over 300 lbs as Allen has added about 5 lbs of muscle. His squat stature allows him to play with leverage and the added bulk should add sand to his play. Brewer opted out last year but he did play 17 offensive and 31 STs snaps as a rookie in 2019. So he's not without some experience.

It will be interesting to see how Carberry builds his line.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
In the midst of all the draft controversy is Chandler Brewer. IMO he is perhaps the most overlooked of all the linemen. When I look at the film of him I see a good OG, and perhaps a backup RT. I have yet to see enough to see if he has the feet for the left side but as a OG he would have pretty good feet giving him good mobility. I must confess even I have overlooked him but now after going over the roster, I must add him into the mix at OG / RT. IMO he's probably better right now than Havenstein. Brewer is a mauler and would be an asset in the run game. When you say that about a guy you normally see him at RG which I do.

Although he's played on both sides in college, the speed of the NFL is a huge difference. It's why I see him on the right side until I can see him perhaps in preseason at OT. Last year the Rams were high on him and apparently still are. Chandler gives them very good depth along the o-line this year, making it an interesting competition. I wouldn't discount him winning a start at either of the OG positions. Although the Rams list him as 6'6" he's closer to 6'5" by most measurements. At 320 lbs with over 34" arms he's built like a RG.

If the Rams go with Brewer and Allen they would have some real beef on that o-line with all of them over 300 lbs as Allen has added about 5 lbs of muscle. His squat stature allows him to play with leverage and the added bulk should add sand to his play. Brewer opted out last year but he did play 17 offensive and 31 STs snaps as a rookie in 2019. So he's not without some experience.

It will be interesting to see how Carberry builds his line.

I never overlooked Brewer. I said from the beginning that he'll be the likely swing tackle (since Noteboom is more of a left tackle insurance than anything. Hell, I wouldn't be completely shocked if he (or Anchrum, but given his ability to play all five positions adequately, I think he's the first man up in case of injury) beat out Evans for the right guard slot.

As for Allen? Yeah, good luck trying to get anything from him. I'd much rather see Shelton than Allen.

Also? I think Alaric Jackson is a sleeper to make this roster. He plays both guard spots, and could probably hack it at right tackle in a pinch.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
If Brewer was better than Hav, don’t you think he would have been in the line up?
Hav is a great run blocker and avg pass pro guy. Hav takes a ton of abuse but only gets into trouble vs the better speed rushers which happen to ALL RT across the league imho
Let’s pump the breaks on pumping up dudes that have not started a handful of game yet. Just sayin is all

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
From what I've see from Brewer, I would definitely consider him better than Evans. I'm hoping for a line up of Whit, Edwards, Corbett, Brewer, Hav
But if Anchrum can beat out Brewer, having Brewer Note and Evans as backups is some nice depth. Can't wait for the season to start.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
While I agree that Brewer has been somewhat overlooked, both BonnifyRam and myself have been speaking towards his assets ever since his outstanding 2019 pre-season. Brewer excelled at the 4 positions he played and became THE pre-season stand out offensive lineman, far outshining even the drafted Evans & Edwards. Covid took him out of 2020, but hopefully he's had all his vaccinations and returns in top condition.
While I upvoted the OP, I also kind of resent the implication as Bonnify and I have been talking up this guy for ages. jmo.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
Better than Havenstein? I seriously don't know about that, but he's definitely one to look out for on the OL this season.

Havenstein gets underrated due to his struggles against speed rushers, but he's a solid RT and has been for a while

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like Havenstein? Go watch him against Carlos Dunlap in the SeaHawks games (the second game I believe). Considering the Rams play the Hawks at least twice a year Havenstein is a liability. Havenstein's poor feet on the edge were tolerated because he was an effective blocker in the run game. He struggled to make second-level blocks last year. He's getting paid too much to be a JAG at RT (gave up 9 sacks and 13 penalties the last two seasons). He's entering his 7th season, if he was a 3rd year player people would be after his head with that type of performance in the previous 2 years. I find it telling it comes immediately after his extension. IMO the contract and McVay's loyalty is all that is keeping him in place right now. Rob has had one good year in the previous 6 years. It was after that one good year that McVay extended him. Then he immediately returned to form, because in 2016 and 2017 he gave up a total of 14 sacks for a total of 25 sacks over 5 seasons? He is clearly the weak link in this unit.

How does that old saying go? "When people show you who they are...believe it."

Psycho_X

Legend

Rams see Chandler Brewer as ‘our draft pick this year’ after passing on O-line​

If you’ve been paying any attention to the Los Angeles Rams in the last few days, you’ve probably heard that they didn’t take a single offensive lineman in the 2021 NFL draft. Shocking, isn’t it?

It’s not as if Les Snead and Sean McVay were ignorant to the fact that the Rams lost Austin Blythe in free agency, or that Andrew Whitworth could retire after this season. They simply didn’t have the right players fall to them and they weren’t going to reach for a position that already has great depth on the roster.

There’s one overlooked aspect to the entire equation that Snead and McVay are both privy to: Chandler Brewer’s return after opting out of the 2020 season. Brewer isn’t a big name and has only played a total of 17 offensive snaps in his career, but he could factor into the offensive line competition this summer.

McVay even referred to Brewer as the Rams’ draft pick this year, almost treating him as a bonus player thanks to his return in 2021.

“Chandler Brewer was our draft pick this year opting back in. A guy that we have a lot of excitement about that can play inside and outside,” McVay said. “Chandler Brewer was the guy we added to the mix that wasn’t with us last year. There you go.”

It was partly McVay trying to appease reporters and fans who are asking why the team didn’t take a lineman, but there’s also some truth to it. The Rams like Brewer’s versatility as a tackle and guard since joining the team in 2019 as an undrafted free agent.

Back in March, Snead discussed overlooked players who the Rams really like moving forward – guys such as Xavier Jones, Tremayne Anchrum and J.R. Reed – and Brewer was one of them.

“Chandler Brewer, back from an opt-out, who actually played well in our San Francisco game way back in ’19 when we went up there,” Snead said. “It was a heavyweight fight, he played well.”

Brewer is 6-foot-6 and 320 pounds with good length and size to play either tackle or guard. He shouldn’t be expected to start at any of the five spots, but he at least provides depth at multiple positions.

Don’t be surprised if he makes the 53-man roster.

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'll give the guy cred when I see some consistent production from him. We saw the danger of crowning guys early with Boom. No need to do that. Win a job dude.

nighttrain

Legend
seems in spite of what some posters thought, that the Rams should have drafted offensive linemen, that maybe we have have a surplus of riches of this part of current team (offensive linemen)

just maybe Snead/McVay knew what they were doing
train

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
The more I read all of your insights the more I can see why McVay may have passed on using a draft pick on the o-line.

When we traded away Goff for Stafford I kind of got a paradigm shift of maybe our line and depth isn't as bad as I feared.

I must admit I forget about the existing depth on our team at times and how this past season was far from ordinary.

Kromer just kind of left. Which was very concerning and unusual.

I do feel better about our position today. In large part to all you perspectives. Whether positive or negative. It all adds up.

GO RAMS!!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'll give the guy cred when I see some consistent production from him. We saw the danger of crowning guys early with Boom. No need to do that. Win a job dude.

You like Anchrum, don't you ? We've seen 6 times more offensive plays out of Brewer, mostly at LT. Oh Yeah, then there was that 2019 pre-season where he dominated. :watch:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The more I read all of your insights the more I can see why McVay may have passed on using a draft pick on the o-line.

I do feel better about our position today. In large part to all you perspectives. Whether positive or negative. It all adds up.

GO RAMS!!!
I'm glad you are feeling better; and I hate to disappoint you but the truth is ... most of us are idiots.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
seems in spite of what some posters thought, that the Rams should have drafted offensive linemen, that maybe we have have a surplus of riches of this part of current team (offensive linemen)

train

Maybe we all wanted a new toy? But yeah, looking at our line Whitworth / Edwards / Corbett / Evans / Havenstein... It’s solid.

Guys like Noteboom, Brewer, Anchrum, etc look to be solid depth. All young players themselves.

The new WR outside speed keeps teams from crowding the line.

(y)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You like Anchrum, don't you ? We've seen 6 times more offensive plays out of Brewer, mostly at LT. Oh Yeah, then there was that 2019 pre-season where he dominated. :watch:
I don't really have any favorites with the line tbh. I just don't like the ones who get ragdolled lol.

Haven't really seen enough of Brewer yet. He's been around learning and whatnot, time for him to put up or shut up.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

train
T Whitworth 6'7", 330 (39 yrs old; 220 starts)
T Havenstein 6'8" 330 (28; 84)

T Noteboom 6'5" 321 (25; 15)
T Brewer 6'5" 320 (23; 0)
T Jackson 6'6" 318 (22; 0)
G Edwards 6'6" 308 (24; 24)
G Corbett 6'4" 306 (25; 24)

G Evans 6'4" 312 (24; 14)
G Anchrum 6'2" 314 (22; 0)
G Demby 6'5" 321 (24; 1)
C Allen 6'2" 303 (25; 9)
C Shelton 6'4" 299 (25; 0)
C Meredith 6'3" 302 (n/a; 0)

They have 4 returning starters (5 counting Noteboom), 3 other guys with starting experience, 3 guys with 0 starts and 2 rookies. Will Carbury gather together a group capable of being a decent OL? That is the 20 million dollar question but McSnead thinks he can.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River