Celebration Thread - Cowboys@Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the last 20 years the Niners have just 5 winning seasons, and in that time they have twice as many playoff wins as the Cowboys. Man both of those statements are fun to say :)

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Thanks Rams, tonight I tested my own femized auto grow AK47. Dried 8 days a cured another 10 days.

Low output buddage but...dayum it sure makes up for it on the back end.

Or was that the front end?

Hell I don’t know.

Don’t think it matters.

Cheers
As a bigtime firearm enthusiast I saw AK-47 and my ears perked up. Then I saw the rest. Sigh.....10 years and 7 months until I can participate in such activity. Not that I'm counting or anything.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
As a bigtime firearm enthusiast I saw AK-47 and my ears perked up. Then I saw the rest. Sigh.....10 years and 7 months until I can participate in such activity. Not that I'm counting or anything.
I'm guessing you're military? (Or 7 and a half years old. You seem very mature for 7.)

…..

Legend
I don’t normally partake, but since I grew it as a hobbie kinda thing, I kinda wanted to see what it tasted like.

Obviously it did it’s job since I blurted that out in public! LOL

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I like what Aquib Talib said to Goff, “You freakin suck their souls out”, in reference to the run Goff made in the last minutes to get 1st Down against the Cowboys Defense. That was epic!
Is that what he said? Probably because their DE Lawrence said he wanted to take Goff's soul this week lol

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...l-round-los-angeles-rams-30-dallas-cowboys-22

Refocused, NFL Divisional Round: Los Angeles Rams 30, Dallas Cowboys 22
BY PFF ANALYSIS TEAM

USATSI_11986265_168384674_lowres.jpg

LA-Rams-Header-2017.png

The men up front absolutely dominated this game. The Rams’ offensive line kept Jared Goff clean all night, as the QB was rarely pressured throughout. In the run game, they parted lanes wider than Moses parting the Red Sea, as Todd Gurley and generational talent CJ Anderson ran up and down the field.

It wasn’t a perfect game by Goff, as he missed on a number of open throws downfield and was fortunate not to be intercepted at the end of the first half, but he made enough throws to keep the game out of reach. Goff will need to be much better next week in order to advance to the Super Bowl, as the Eagles and Saints both will apply pressure at much higher rates than Dallas.

The Rams struggled to rush the quarterback, getting just one hit and one sack in the game, with the sack being a poor call on whether the QB was wrapped up or not. Ndamukong Suh had the most impact, with the one hit and a few other hurries.

Los Angeles bottled up the run very well, holding Zeke Elliott to just 47 yards and 2.3 yards per carry. They allowed just one run longer than six yards all game, and were sure tacklers pretty well throughout.

DAL-Cowboys-Header.png

The linebacker duo of Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch were going to be vital in order to stop the rushing attack, and they struggled all night long. Smith and Vander Esch were often blocked at the second level and couldn’t make up for their struggles in the run game by covering well, as neither made an impact in the passing game.

There weren’t any positives to takeaway from the Cowboys’ defense, as they were thoroughly outplayed in all facets of the game. The unit had been a strength all season for Dallas but failed to make key stops to get off the field.

The Dallas offensive line did an excellent job in pass protection to keep Dak Prescott clean and rarely pressured. It’s even more of a feat with Aaron Donald on the other side of the ball. While he did make a couple splash plays, they kept him from being anywhere near as dominant has he has been most of the season.

Overall, Prescott just didn’t play well enough for the Cowboys to win. His misread on a short hitch in the left flat was one of the worst throws in the league this season. However, instead of the possibility of a pick-six to extend a Rams’ lead, Prescott lucked out that Samson Ebukam dropped the easy interception. He played better late in the game, particularly when he was given a chance to use his legs more, but still had some inaccurate passes that were impactful.

Keys to the Game

Los Angeles

Andrew Whitworth and company controlled this game from beginning to end, and Dallas had no answer for their dominance.

Dallas

Dallas’ defense couldn’t keep the Rams off the scoreboard enough to allow their lackluster offense to get ahead and win the game.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/...cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

How the Cowboys Defense Tipped Its Hand and Let the Rams Run All Over Them
By keying into how the Dallas defensive line set up, L.A. allowed C.J. Anderson and Todd Gurley to run free—and punched their ticket to the conference championship game
By Danny Heifetz

1081703784.jpg.0.jpg

Photo by Harry How/Getty Images

Sun Tzu wrote that “every battle is won or lost before it’s ever fought.” The Rams proved that against the Cowboys on Saturday by out-preparing them last week.

L.A. beat Dallas 30-22 on Saturday with an unstoppable ground game. The Rams ran the ball 48 times for 273 yards (5.7 yards per carry), earning the fourth-most rushing yards in a game this season and the most the franchise has had in a game since 2001.

Seventeen of L.A.’s 30 first downs came on the ground, which is the most rushing first downs in a playoff game since the number started being tracked in 1999. C.J. Anderson and Todd Gurley each ran for more than 100 yards, the first time two running backs on the same team both crossed that mark in the same playoff game in more than 20 years.

How did L.A. put together such a dominant performance against a run defense that ranked fourth best in rush yards allowed per attempt (3.8) and fifth best in run defense DVOA this season? Anderson and Gurley deserve credit for the romp, but so too does L.A.’s underappreciated offensive line, which submitted one of the best blocking performances by any team this year.

The Rams’ run-blocking has been great all year, and in this game they had a secret weapon: They knew what the Cowboys’ defense was going to do before the ball was snapped.

“They’re a defensive line that really likes to move a lot,” right guard Austin Blythe told The Ringer. “We had a pretty good tell when they were going to do that.”

The Cowboys don’t blitz often under defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, so they rely on stunts with their four defensive linemen to disrupt the backfield. A stunt is when a defensive lineman (or usually multiple defensive linemen) attacks a different gap than the one he is lined up across from. The goal is to confuse opposing offensive linemen by having multiple defenders crash to a different spot than expected and then use the chaos to disrupt the backfield.

But stunts depend on the element of surprise, and during Los Angeles’s film study in the week leading up to their game against Dallas, the Rams discovered that the Cowboys defensive line was tipping whether they were going to stunt based on how they aligned before the snap.

Depending on the alignment of the Cowboys defensive tackles, particularly whether Maliek Collins was shaded closer to the tackle instead of the guard, the Rams figured a stunt may be coming. If the Rams saw Collins lined up slightly wider than usual, they looked for a second tell. If a certain Cowboys lineman had a specific hand on the ground—right or left—or if a player was tilted one way or the other, it confirmed what the Cowboys defensive line was going to do.

“They have good players, but we just felt scheme-wise we were able to—we had a lot of tips and tells on what they were going to do in front of us,” said Rams center John Sullivan.

Blythe elaborated:

“Usually they like to play a 3-technique but if he got a little wider, and looked like he was going to play the [left or right] tackle, he was going to slant out and we were going to get another movement from the other side too,” Blythe said. “If [the defensive tackle] is going to come in, the tell is going to come in from the other side.”

I asked Blythe how often the tells accurately predicted the Cowboys play call.

“Plus-90 percent” Blythe said.

With the knowledge in hand, all the Rams had to do was execute, and they played almost flawlessly. Quarterback Jared Goff wasn’t sacked, and he was pressured on just one of his 28 dropbacks. That pressure rate (3.4 percent) was the second lowest for any quarterback who had 20 or more dropbacks in a game this season, according to the NFL.

After Cowboys defensive end Demarcus Lawrence said last week that he wanted to take Jared Goff’s soul, it’s no wonder Rams cornerback Aqib Talib was so enthusiastic about the Rams’ protection of Goff on the postgame interview.

But the run game was where the true domination happened. L.A.’s first three drives went for a combined 36 plays for 214 yards, with the majority of that on the ground. Dallas was fortunate two of those drives stalled in the red zone, and the Rams had just a 13-7 lead midway through the second quarter. Anderson, a bowling ball of butcher knives who was a free agent until a month ago, ran for 123 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries.

Anderson is a talented back, and the Rams line was opening up holes in the Cowboys defense bigger than the plot holes in the second season of True Detective. Here’s Anderson, who ran a 4.6 second 40-yard dash at the 2013 combine, on second-and-10 from the Dallas 15 on L.A.’s third drive going up the middle of the field for 14 yards. He doesn’t get touched until he’s already past the first-down marker ten yards downfield, and it’s not because he’s Barry Sanders.

View: https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/1084272122426314752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1084272122426314752&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2019%2F1%2F13%2F18179269%2Frams-run-game-cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

On the next Rams drive, Gurley ran untouched for a 35-yard touchdown through the heart of the Cowboys defense to push L.A.’s lead to 20-7 with less than four minutes left in the second quarter.

View: https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/1084276545315844099?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1084276545315844099&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2019%2F1%2F13%2F18179269%2Frams-run-game-cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

Gurley wasn’t touched until he got to the goal line. He was sprung by excellent blocking, particularly from veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth, who blocks two defenders on the play.

View: https://twitter.com/FB_FilmAnalysis/status/1084281221981429765?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1084281221981429765&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2019%2F1%2F13%2F18179269%2Frams-run-game-cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

“The red sea parted, and I ran, man,” Todd Gurley said at his postgame press conference after he was asked to Talk About the touchdown run. “Those guys did a great job, coach called a great play, everybody did their job. All I had to do was cut one time and just run.”

The blocking on Saturday was superb, but that run also succeeded because of how effective play-fakes, like the fake end around to receiver Josh Reynolds in the backfield after Gurley gets the ball on the above play, have been for the Rams. The team had the highest play-action rate in football by a large margin this season and used it on more than a third of their dropbacks, and against the Cowboys, the Rams cranked up play-fakes even by their lofty standards.

View: https://twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/1084318378334908416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1084318378334908416&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2019%2F1%2F13%2F18179269%2Frams-run-game-cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

McVay, now the youngest head coach to win a playoff game, constructed a masterful game plan that consistently got first downs on first- and second-down. The Rams gained 30 first downs on Saturday and faced third down just 11 times, converting five of them (45.5 percent, almost exactly their 45 percent third-down conversion rate in the regular season). On Saturday they showed that the best way to convert on third down is to avoid it altogether.

While McVay is often lauded for his schemes, Saturday he’ll be remembered for his aggressiveness. The Rams went for it on fourth-and-1 twice, including from their own 45 on their second drive of the game and fourth-and-goal from the Dallas 1 on their second-to-last drive of the game.

The latter decision, which came with just over seven minutes left in the fourth quarter and the Rams up 23-15, was the first time that a coach with the ability to turn a one-possession game into a two-possession game in the playoffs by kicking a field goal on fourth-and-1 decided to go for it since play-by-play tracking data became available in 1994, according to Pro-Football-Reference.

The Rams weren’t flawless on Saturday. A way-too-early whistle on third-and-7 at the Rams’ 44-yard line ended a promising Cowboys drive that could have flipped the fortunes of the game, and the illegal contact that set up the Gurley touchdown was a brutal penalty.

Despite the magnificent protection, Goff overthrew and underthrew a few open receivers at various points in the game. But the offense’s rare miscues were bailed out by an excellent defense that held running back Ezekiel Elliott to 47 yards on 20 carries and Dak Prescott to just 266 passing yards.

When it came time to seal the victory, the Rams running game and play-action usage came together for a memorable run from … Goff. On the first play after the two minute warning with the Rams up 30-23, L.A. faced a third-and-7 on their own 28.

The Rams could get a first down to win the game, but throwing the ball would risk stopping the clock with an incompletion and give the ball back to Dallas with enough time to drive down the field and tie the game. Goff rolled out of a play-action bootleg and just kept running, completely fooling safety Jeff Heath for long enough to sneak around the edge and get 11 yards and the first down.

View: https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1084303337149861888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1084303337149861888&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2019%2F1%2F13%2F18179269%2Frams-run-game-cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

”We were confident,” Sullivan said. “We always talk about confidence in yourself because you have to know you can go out and do your job and confidence that the guys next to you are going to do their jobs.”

Adding to that confidence was knowing their opponent’s jobs, too. The battle was already won.
https://twitter.com/Manouk_Akopyan/status/1084304707017822208

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/...cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

How the Cowboys Defense Tipped Its Hand and Let the Rams Run All Over Them
By keying into how the Dallas defensive line set up, L.A. allowed C.J. Anderson and Todd Gurley to run free—and punched their ticket to the conference championship game
By Danny Heifetz

1081703784.jpg.0.jpg

Photo by Harry How/Getty Images

Sun Tzu wrote that “every battle is won or lost before it’s ever fought.” The Rams proved that against the Cowboys on Saturday by out-preparing them last week.

L.A. beat Dallas 30-22 on Saturday with an unstoppable ground game. The Rams ran the ball 48 times for 273 yards (5.7 yards per carry), earning the fourth-most rushing yards in a game this season and the most the franchise has had in a game since 2001.

Seventeen of L.A.’s 30 first downs came on the ground, which is the most rushing first downs in a playoff game since the number started being tracked in 1999. C.J. Anderson and Todd Gurley each ran for more than 100 yards, the first time two running backs on the same team both crossed that mark in the same playoff game in more than 20 years.

How did L.A. put together such a dominant performance against a run defense that ranked fourth best in rush yards allowed per attempt (3.8) and fifth best in run defense DVOA this season? Anderson and Gurley deserve credit for the romp, but so too does L.A.’s underappreciated offensive line, which submitted one of the best blocking performances by any team this year.

The Rams’ run-blocking has been great all year, and in this game they had a secret weapon: They knew what the Cowboys’ defense was going to do before the ball was snapped.

“They’re a defensive line that really likes to move a lot,” right guard Austin Blythe told The Ringer. “We had a pretty good tell when they were going to do that.”

The Cowboys don’t blitz often under defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, so they rely on stunts with their four defensive linemen to disrupt the backfield. A stunt is when a defensive lineman (or usually multiple defensive linemen) attacks a different gap than the one he is lined up across from. The goal is to confuse opposing offensive linemen by having multiple defenders crash to a different spot than expected and then use the chaos to disrupt the backfield.

But stunts depend on the element of surprise, and during Los Angeles’s film study in the week leading up to their game against Dallas, the Rams discovered that the Cowboys defensive line was tipping whether they were going to stunt based on how they aligned before the snap.

Depending on the alignment of the Cowboys defensive tackles, particularly whether Maliek Collins was shaded closer to the tackle instead of the guard, the Rams figured a stunt may be coming. If the Rams saw Collins lined up slightly wider than usual, they looked for a second tell. If a certain Cowboys lineman had a specific hand on the ground—right or left—or if a player was tilted one way or the other, it confirmed what the Cowboys defensive line was going to do.

“They have good players, but we just felt scheme-wise we were able to—we had a lot of tips and tells on what they were going to do in front of us,” said Rams center John Sullivan.

Blythe elaborated:

“Usually they like to play a 3-technique but if he got a little wider, and looked like he was going to play the [left or right] tackle, he was going to slant out and we were going to get another movement from the other side too,” Blythe said. “If [the defensive tackle] is going to come in, the tell is going to come in from the other side.”

I asked Blythe how often the tells accurately predicted the Cowboys play call.

“Plus-90 percent” Blythe said.

With the knowledge in hand, all the Rams had to do was execute, and they played almost flawlessly. Quarterback Jared Goff wasn’t sacked, and he was pressured on just one of his 28 dropbacks. That pressure rate (3.4 percent) was the second lowest for any quarterback who had 20 or more dropbacks in a game this season, according to the NFL.

After Cowboys defensive end Demarcus Lawrence said last week that he wanted to take Jared Goff’s soul, it’s no wonder Rams cornerback Aqib Talib was so enthusiastic about the Rams’ protection of Goff on the postgame interview.

But the run game was where the true domination happened. L.A.’s first three drives went for a combined 36 plays for 214 yards, with the majority of that on the ground. Dallas was fortunate two of those drives stalled in the red zone, and the Rams had just a 13-7 lead midway through the second quarter. Anderson, a bowling ball of butcher knives who was a free agent until a month ago, ran for 123 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries.

Anderson is a talented back, and the Rams line was opening up holes in the Cowboys defense bigger than the plot holes in the second season of True Detective. Here’s Anderson, who ran a 4.6 second 40-yard dash at the 2013 combine, on second-and-10 from the Dallas 15 on L.A.’s third drive going up the middle of the field for 14 yards. He doesn’t get touched until he’s already past the first-down marker ten yards downfield, and it’s not because he’s Barry Sanders.

View: https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/1084272122426314752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1084272122426314752&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2019%2F1%2F13%2F18179269%2Frams-run-game-cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

On the next Rams drive, Gurley ran untouched for a 35-yard touchdown through the heart of the Cowboys defense to push L.A.’s lead to 20-7 with less than four minutes left in the second quarter.

View: https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/1084276545315844099?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1084276545315844099&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2019%2F1%2F13%2F18179269%2Frams-run-game-cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

Gurley wasn’t touched until he got to the goal line. He was sprung by excellent blocking, particularly from veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth, who blocks two defenders on the play.

View: https://twitter.com/FB_FilmAnalysis/status/1084281221981429765?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1084281221981429765&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2019%2F1%2F13%2F18179269%2Frams-run-game-cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

“The red sea parted, and I ran, man,” Todd Gurley said at his postgame press conference after he was asked to Talk About the touchdown run. “Those guys did a great job, coach called a great play, everybody did their job. All I had to do was cut one time and just run.”

The blocking on Saturday was superb, but that run also succeeded because of how effective play-fakes, like the fake end around to receiver Josh Reynolds in the backfield after Gurley gets the ball on the above play, have been for the Rams. The team had the highest play-action rate in football by a large margin this season and used it on more than a third of their dropbacks, and against the Cowboys, the Rams cranked up play-fakes even by their lofty standards.

View: https://twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/1084318378334908416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1084318378334908416&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2019%2F1%2F13%2F18179269%2Frams-run-game-cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

McVay, now the youngest head coach to win a playoff game, constructed a masterful game plan that consistently got first downs on first- and second-down. The Rams gained 30 first downs on Saturday and faced third down just 11 times, converting five of them (45.5 percent, almost exactly their 45 percent third-down conversion rate in the regular season). On Saturday they showed that the best way to convert on third down is to avoid it altogether.

While McVay is often lauded for his schemes, Saturday he’ll be remembered for his aggressiveness. The Rams went for it on fourth-and-1 twice, including from their own 45 on their second drive of the game and fourth-and-goal from the Dallas 1 on their second-to-last drive of the game.

The latter decision, which came with just over seven minutes left in the fourth quarter and the Rams up 23-15, was the first time that a coach with the ability to turn a one-possession game into a two-possession game in the playoffs by kicking a field goal on fourth-and-1 decided to go for it since play-by-play tracking data became available in 1994, according to Pro-Football-Reference.

The Rams weren’t flawless on Saturday. A way-too-early whistle on third-and-7 at the Rams’ 44-yard line ended a promising Cowboys drive that could have flipped the fortunes of the game, and the illegal contact that set up the Gurley touchdown was a brutal penalty.

Despite the magnificent protection, Goff overthrew and underthrew a few open receivers at various points in the game. But the offense’s rare miscues were bailed out by an excellent defense that held running back Ezekiel Elliott to 47 yards on 20 carries and Dak Prescott to just 266 passing yards.

When it came time to seal the victory, the Rams running game and play-action usage came together for a memorable run from … Goff. On the first play after the two minute warning with the Rams up 30-23, L.A. faced a third-and-7 on their own 28.

The Rams could get a first down to win the game, but throwing the ball would risk stopping the clock with an incompletion and give the ball back to Dallas with enough time to drive down the field and tie the game. Goff rolled out of a play-action bootleg and just kept running, completely fooling safety Jeff Heath for long enough to sneak around the edge and get 11 yards and the first down.

View: https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1084303337149861888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1084303337149861888&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2019%2F1%2F13%2F18179269%2Frams-run-game-cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

”We were confident,” Sullivan said. “We always talk about confidence in yourself because you have to know you can go out and do your job and confidence that the guys next to you are going to do their jobs.”

Adding to that confidence was knowing their opponent’s jobs, too. The battle was already won.

Why are we telling everyone about the “tell” Dallas was providing. Aren’t other teams listening?