CBA deal progressing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hell no on the Monday night playoff game.
Nobody will want to play it.

With the winner having a short week to prep?
This would be a poor move

Trying to cannibalize the college audience, with the likely result that people will just flip back and forth during the commercials - and let's be honest, commercials are the whole point of showing the game.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
This will be interesting. What happens if a team uses both and both players assigned the tags sign the tender? Surely that's a legally binding contract. I didn't think a team could revoke the tender once it is signed although I don't claim to be anywhere near an expert on the matter.
I would think the NFL sent a memo to have teams wait on tags. Also, teams could possibly be in trouble breaking the CBA. Remember Washington and some others were in hot water after going buck wild in that uncapped year prior to the last CBA.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would think the NFL sent a memo to have teams wait on tags. Also, teams could possibly be in trouble breaking the CBA. Remember Washington and some others were in hot water after going buck wild in that uncapped year prior to the last CBA.
Very good point.
I forgot all about that.

WestCoastRam

Legend
that extra 4-5 mil for the cap really would have an effect on Rams this year. Yes, all teams would have extra cap but the curve on salaries going up even this season should have some lag to it which is a net benefit to us.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
16 games should be the limit. If the Networks want to drag out the season then add a bye week or two. More rest for the players makes for better games, time to get rookies up to speed and for coaches to step back and fo more analysis and prep.

Expand the cap and expand the game day rosters. Younger or less experienced players will see the field more often and get reps because they aren’t game day scratches. The game day roster limit never seemed to make any sense. If you have a roster then you should be able to play them all.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If you have a roster then you should be able to play them all.

Actually it's done to protect one team from having an unfair advantage when it comes to injuries. If you have a roster of 53 and only 46 can play, it protects one team that might have a multitude of injuries. For example, if one teams has four or five guys out and make two more inactive, if another team has 53 healthy players and everyone can play, it gives one team an unfair advantage, that why you have inactive players, but I agree, let them all play, if one team is healthier than the other, so be it.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I just read somewhere the cap is going up 10 Mil. That would be nice if true.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

2020 salary cap projected at roughly $200 million

A potential new Collective Bargaining Agreement has yet to be ratified, but the salary cap is expected to rise once again.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Friday that the NFL and NFLPA are projecting a salary cap of roughly $200 million per team in 2020, per sources. Pelissero added negotiations are ongoing.

If players ratify the CBA, revenue would increase with expanded playoffs, which could cause the figure to rise, depending on whether additional revenue is counted toward salary cap or benefits. Bigger jumps would be expected in 2021 and beyond under the proposed new CBA.

The uncertain salary-cap figure could explain why many teams have been reticent to extend deals or make offers to their pending free agents up to this point in the offseason.

The salary cap was $188.2 million in 2019. This year's figure represents the seventh straight season of at least a $10 million bump.

With the players expected to vote on the CBA, which could happen as early as next week, the new league year, which marks the beginning of free agency, is on track to open on March 18, as scheduled, per Pelissero.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i wanted to know how the revenue split in the three major leagues worked out for the players in each league. here's my basic calculations.

mlb has 162 games per regular season.

nba has 82 games per season.

nfl has 16 games per season. and the players are crying that they will have to play one more.

mlb players share per year - $4.8 billion

nba players share per year - $2.4 billion

nfl players share per year - $6.24 billion

25 players per mlb team. 15 players per nba team. 53 players per nfl team.

750 players in mlb per year. 450 players in nba per year. 1,696 players in nfl per year.

each game - 3 hours mlb, 2.4 hours nba, 3 hours nfl.

per year - 486 hours mlb, 197 hours nba, 48 hours nfl.

total hours for all payers - 364.5k mlb, 88.6k nba, 81.4k nfl

pay per hour played - $13.2k mlb, $27.1k nba, $76.7k nfl.

at a per hour rate the nfl players are in their own stratosphere.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i wanted to know how the revenue split in the three major leagues worked out for the players in each league. here's my basic calculations.

mlb has 162 games per regular season.

nba has 82 games per season.

nfl has 16 games per season. and the players are crying that they will have to play one more.

mlb players share per year - $4.8 billion

nba players share per year - $2.4 billion

nfl players share per year - $6.24 billion

25 players per mlb team. 15 players per nba team. 53 players per nfl team.

750 players in mlb per year. 450 players in nba per year. 1,696 players in nfl per year.

each game - 3 hours mlb, 2.4 hours nba, 3 hours nfl.

per year - 486 hours mlb, 197 hours nba, 48 hours nfl.

total hours for all payers - 364.5k mlb, 88.6k nba, 81.4k nfl

pay per hour played - $13.2k mlb, $27.1k nba, $76.7k nfl.

at a per hour rate the nfl players are in their own stratosphere.

Some of those numbers as well are somewhat subjective. The Braves recently released their revenue numbers for example. They had a payroll of $119 million but reported $137 when you included benefits and whatnot. Factor that into their revenue and it was 37% of total revenues when mlb players are supposed to get 48%. Granted MLB is a hot mess when it's acceptable and even encouraged for teams to tank and have a $60 million payroll or less and there are no consequences. All this while we hear NFL players say their union needs to be more like MLBPA.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Report: NFL Heading to Lockout or Player Strike If Current CBA Proposal Fails
Tyler Conway March 2, 2020

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2878770-report-nfl-heading-to-lockout-or-player-strike-if-current-cba-proposal-fails

The line in the sand between the NFL and NFLPA appears to be the owners' insistence on adding a 17th game to the regular season. Peter King of NBC Sports spoke to "a person on the players' side" who acknowledged a work stoppage is likely if the players fail to ratify the new collective bargaining agreement that's on the table.

"If players vote no, it's simple: there will either be a lockout in 2021 or we will strike. We all want 16 games, and I understand that. But there is no 16-game option. If we want 16 games, we have to be prepared for a job action," the person with familiarity with negotiations said.

NFL owners have already voted in favor of the new 10-year agreement, which would give the league an option to add an extra week to the regular season. The NFLPA executive committee voted 6-5 against recommending the proposal, but player reps voted 17-14 (with one abstention) to send the proposal to players for a unionwide approval.More than half of the league's constituency has to vote in favor of the CBA for it to be approved.

King noted that ownership has decided it will only move forward with a CBA that includes a 17th regular-season game and two additional wild-card matchups. The league plans to use those new games in broadcast rights negotiations, with hopes of massively expanding the revenue pool.

Player pushback on the deal has largely focused on the 17th game, with many focusing on safety issues.

"Health and Wellness of our men is always the most important aspect," Richard Sherman tweeted. "There is no price you can put on that and that is why I Voted No. I respect the Men that have been part of this discussion and stood up for their locker rooms."

The current collective bargaining agreement runs through March 2021. Dan Graziano and Jeremy Fowler of ESPN noted owners would "probably" pull back on the agreement and wait until next offseason if players refuse to approve the new deal.

It would create a situation wherein both sides are playing chicken, similar to the 2011 lockout. Neither the owners nor the players want to miss any actual games. The owners are motivated to get a deal done so they can provide a united front to television partners, who would be more likely to break the bank in negotiations if the NFL can guarantee labor peace.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It would create a situation wherein both sides are playing chicken, similar to the 2011 lockout. Neither the owners nor the players want to miss any actual games. The owners are motivated to get a deal done so they can provide a united front to television partners, who would be more likely to break the bank in negotiations if the NFL can guarantee labor peace.

Funny, this does not bother me like in the past, I guess as much as football is my passion, if millionaires & billionaires cannot come to an agreement, then I shall not shed one tear, no sir!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Funny, this does not bother me like in the past, I guess as much as football is my passion, if millionaires & billionaires cannot come to an agreement, then I shall not shed one tear, no sir!

I have heard more than one person say that.

When the most loyal of fans start to feel this way... how much gold is in that goose again? Do the NFL executives sense this underbelly? Do they know what it means?

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
It will be a very bad thing for the NFL. I think a lot of fans that are already on the fence might just fall off.