CBA deal progressing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

NFL player leadership divided on proposed CBA, could vote Wednesday

NFL player leadership continues to be divided over the notion of a 17-game regular season ahead of an upcoming vote on a proposed new collective bargaining agreement, sources told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

Players were split into three categories when discussing the proposal, according to Fowler. There were those who will never want 17 games, those who will accept the terms of the deal with tweaks, and those who approve of the proposal in its current form.

Representatives held a conference call on Friday and were initially set to vote on the deal, but getting the two-thirds majority in support of it wasn't certain, according to Fowler.

The players' union postponed voting as a result and will meet with league officials Tuesday at the NFL combine in Indianapolis. The union could vote as early as Wednesday, but it hopes to continue negotiating with team owners.

However, the owners reportedly aren't interested in renegotiating their offer.

The NFL Players Association executive committee voted 6-5 against the proposed CBA on Friday. The offer now goes to the 32-man board of player representatives, which is responsible for the final vote.

Two-thirds of the representatives must approve the new terms, while the full membership can pass the deal with a simple majority.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
It’s gettin’ close.....

NFLPA: Proposed CBA sent for full membership vote

The NFL Players Association board of representatives voted to send the collective bargaining agreement proposal approved last week by the NFL owners to its membership for a vote, NFLPA executive director George Atallah said in a tweet late Tuesday night.

The development came hours after the conclusion of a four-hour meeting between the NFL owners and members of the NFLPA executive committee and board of representatives in Indianapolis. The meeting concluded at around 9 p.m. ET without an update regarding the CBA proposal.

Four hours later, Atallah provided an update, and a substantial one at that.

The proposal secured on Tuesday night the approval of a majority of the 32 player representatives to be passed to the union's near-2,000 dues-paying members for a vote of ratification. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported that because the board of reps forwarded the proposed CBA without a recommendation, it did not need require a two-thirds majority.

The vote to ratify the new CBA requires a simple majority, or 50 percent, of players to pass. Pelissero reported late Tuesday night, that that vote is a "virtual certainty." In football terms, Pelissero reported, the league and the players are "on the 1-yard line towards 10 years of labor peace."

View: https://twitter.com/nflpa/status/1232556235498586112?s=21

Tuesday's meeting was attended by all eight members of the NFL Management Council Executive Committee, which negotiates on the owners' behalf, Pelissero reported. Multiple player representatives, including Richard Sherman, Russell Okung and Benjamin Watson, were also in attendance.

All owners and players left the meeting without commenting. Union reps also did not provide comment at this time.

Tuesday's sit-down, which lasted nearly four hours, was scheduled after the NFLPA executive committee voted Friday not to recommend the owner-approved CBA proposal to its members.

Included in the latest proposal are the option to expand to a 17-game regular season, an increase in players' share of total revenue to at least 48 percent and the expansion of the playoff field to 14 teams beginning in 2020.

If the proposal is approved this week, the CBA will be thrust into effect in time for the new league year on March 18, which could change free agency and the salary cap. For instance, teams would no longer be able to use both the franchise and transition tag when the tag window opens on Feb. 27., as they currently are allowed in the final year of the current CBA, which expires following the 2020 season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Personally not a fan of an odd number of games, when I started rooting for football it was 14 games, then 16 games....However, it appears likely that it's going to 17.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
So 17 games sure sounds like it's happening. Which major season records for players will fall due to the extra game of stats?
  1. Passing yards (maybe even in 2021)
  2. Passing TDs
  3. Sacks
  4. Receiving yards
  5. Receiving TDs
  6. Team wins in a season
I think the Dickerson's record is a little safer due to changes in the NFL, but it's a little more in reach if some team goes into full throwback mode running the ball. I also think the interception records will be tough to break, although Winston might make a run at the 35/35 club.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So 17 games sure sounds like it's happening. Which major season records for players will fall due to the extra game of stats?
  1. Passing yards (maybe even in 2021)
  2. Passing TDs
  3. Sacks
  4. Receiving yards
  5. Receiving TDs
  6. Team wins in a season
I think the Dickerson's record is a little safer due to changes in the NFL, but it's a little more in reach if some team goes into full throwback mode running the ball. I also think the interception records will be tough to break, although Winston might make a run at the 35/35 club.

Doubt it will be so soon. You got to have the players to pull it off.

Patrick Mahomes might. But everything else...it will be a while.

#6 won't ever be broken. 72 Dolphins and 07 Patriots have that in stone.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So when they move to 17 games are they also going to raise the cap to compensate? You’re adding another paycheck to everybody it makes sense to boost the cap that amount. Figure right now it’s $208 million so you divide that per game thats $13 million a game. Multiply that out to 17 weeks do they then up the cap to $221 million? They’ll have to do something for the year they increase the number of games.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Doubt it will be so soon. You got to have the players to pull it off.

Patrick Mahomes might. But everything else...it will be a while.

#6 won't ever be broken. 72 Dolphins and 07 Patriots have that in stone.
I think #1 is going to fall quickly. Based on his ypg average, Winston would have only been about 40 yards short of Manning's record this past season.

Of those six, I agree that the last one to fall will be the wins. Probably by players and a coach that aren't even in the NFL right now.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
So when they move to 17 games are they also going to raise the cap to compensate? You’re adding another paycheck to everybody it makes sense to boost the cap that amount. Figure right now it’s $208 million so you divide that per game thats $13 million a game. Multiply that out to 17 weeks do they then up the cap to $221 million? They’ll have to do something for the year they increase the number of games.
I'm sure that will be covered by the new TV contracts that will be coming up.

I see it as a non issue

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure that will be covered by the new TV contracts that will be coming up.

I see it as a non issue
Oh I agree it’s not a problem it’s just going to require more accounting tricks to manage but they’ll have to figure out the nuts and bolts.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Could NFL have a Monday night playoff game beginning next season?

Part of the new NFL CBA proposed by the owners last week was expanding the playoffs.

An extra team would make the playoffs in each conference and then only the No. 1 seed would receive a bye, meaning there would be six total games on Wild Card Weekend. According to NBC Sports' Peter King, the league will use a 3-3 system or a 2-3-1 system when it comes to the days of the games. The first system would have three games on Saturday and three games Sunday, but the 2-3-1 system would have two games Saturday, three games Sunday and one game Monday.

Short weeks happen in the playoffs with Saturday games, so it would be the same turnaround as a team playing on Sunday one week and Saturday the next (as long as the winner of the Monday game plays the following Sunday). But, the bigger issue is the Monday night game on Wild Card Weekend would be the same night as the College Football Playoff National Championship. Imagine the Patriots and Titans playing at the same time as LSU and Clemson.

Would the NFL really go head-to-head with the NCAA's biggest game of the year? Would the NCAA consider moving the game to Tuesday? This would create an interesting scenario and it's hard to know how it would be handled.

Adding two teams to the playoffs is one thing, but changing the entire schedule to go against college football's biggest game of the year is another.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

NFL Players Association president Eric Winston: Players won't rush vote on collective bargaining agreement proposal

INDIANAPOLIS — The morning after the NFL Players Association's board of representatives met and voted 17-14 to approve the proposed collective bargaining agreement, a full player body vote likely won't happen this week, with a date still yet to be set.

Discussions among the players will continue, as could additional negotiations.

“The one thing we’re not doing is rushing through this thing,” NFLPA President Eric Winston said Wednesday before entering a competition committee meeting. “Every 'I' will be dotted and every 'T' will he crossed. And when it happens, it happens.”

After a lengthy meeting between the owners and NFLPA executive committee members, the 32 player reps had an extensive meeting of their own. Despite the majority voting to approve the deal, which owners improved slightly by agreeing to give players a prorated salary for a 17th game, there's no clear timetable in holding a vote for the full union membership, which would be the final step in ratifying the agreement. Additional concerns remain regarding aspects of the deal, including the addition of a 17th game.

The owners have made a strong push to complete the deal by the start of the league year on March 18. But Winston said the players remain committed to getting the best possible deal and not rushing to do so. That point of emphasis was reiterated in the player rep meeting that began late Tuesday night and extended into the early morning hours of Wednesday.

“I was proud,” Winston said. “Our guys are doing a wonderful job leading and a wonderful job standing up for what they believe in. I told them that I know the guys that came before us will be proud. For me, watching those guys come in educated, come in wanting to have an opinion, come in willing to talk to other guys and learn and give back, that’s leadership at its finest.”

Winston didn’t say if he was one of the committee members that recommended voting in favor of the new deal, which is projected to increase the players' revenue share, improve medical benefits and increase minimum salaries.

“I stay private on that,” he said. “Right now my job is to make sure every guy is educated and informed and now it’s about guys making a decision.”

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Could NFL have a Monday night playoff game beginning next season?

Part of the new NFL CBA proposed by the owners last week was expanding the playoffs.

An extra team would make the playoffs in each conference and then only the No. 1 seed would receive a bye, meaning there would be six total games on Wild Card Weekend. According to NBC Sports' Peter King, the league will use a 3-3 system or a 2-3-1 system when it comes to the days of the games. The first system would have three games on Saturday and three games Sunday, but the 2-3-1 system would have two games Saturday, three games Sunday and one game Monday.

Short weeks happen in the playoffs with Saturday games, so it would be the same turnaround as a team playing on Sunday one week and Saturday the next (as long as the winner of the Monday game plays the following Sunday). But, the bigger issue is the Monday night game on Wild Card Weekend would be the same night as the College Football Playoff National Championship. Imagine the Patriots and Titans playing at the same time as LSU and Clemson.

Would the NFL really go head-to-head with the NCAA's biggest game of the year? Would the NCAA consider moving the game to Tuesday? This would create an interesting scenario and it's hard to know how it would be handled.

Adding two teams to the playoffs is one thing, but changing the entire schedule to go against college football's biggest game of the year is another.
Hell no on the Monday night playoff game.
Nobody will want to play it.

With the winner having a short week to prep?
This would be a poor move