CBA deal progressing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hard to remember exactly what he said but, something, like they would not have sent it to a vote, had it not been a fair deal.

I listened to Winston as well and it appears that the players get a bigger slice of the revenue pie, with the caveat being the 17th game. I also found it amusing that the players squawking the most are the upper tier players getting paid above the rest and Mike Golic spoke about the work stoppage back in 1987, when the average guys were willing to hold out, but it was the higher end players that crossed the picket line because they were losing the most money.

Like I used to say to my unit when I was in the military....Gentlemen, nobody knows how they are going to react until the bullets start flying.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Some NFL owners hope new CBA doesn't pass with eye toward 18-game season

The NFL collective bargaining agreement is in the hands of the players, even though some NFL owners may not be on board with the new rules. Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, some NFL owners hope the proposed CBA doesn't pass because they believe a better deal can be reached, with an 18-game regular season the highlight of a revised plan.

It would make sense for some owners to hope the CBA doesn't pass since the owners' vote was not unanimous. Only 75 percent of the owners need to vote "yes" in order for the CBA to be approved before the vote is passed to the players. The players have until Thursday to vote on the new CBA. There are around 1,900 members in the players union, with just a simple majority of votes needed to vote for approval for the CBA to be ratified.

Under the proposed CBA, the NFL will increase the season to 17 games at some point, with the addition of an extra team to the playoffs in each conference. The 14-team playoff would have the top seed earning a first-round bye while seeds No. 2 through No. 7 would play on Wild Card Weekend. The CBA states the NFL can not increase the schedule past 17 games under the life of the deal, meaning the league can't have an 18-game regular season until 2030 at the earliest.

If players don't approve the proposed CBA, talks of an 18-game regular season could resume. Of course, this could be a tactic to get players to vote "yes" on the current deal. Chicago Bears wide receiver Allen Robinson was one of the first to respond to the report some owners hope the CBA doesn't pass on Twitter.

The 18-game regular season talks won't go away, unless the players push it off for another decade.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
FMIA: Monumental Player Vote Set to Determine Next Decade of the NFL

Something profound for football’s future will happen this week. The league’s 2,500 players (anyone who had a contract with any team for any part of the 2019 season is eligible to vote) will decide whether a controversial Collective Bargaining Agreement between the players and owners will pass muster.

• If it’s approved, the league will have labor peace through the end of the 2030 season, giving the NFL 43 consecutive seasons of football without a regular-season or playoff game being lost.

• If it fails, a period of rancor will settle over the game. The league will play the 2020 season under more restrictive work rules; about $300 million in pension improvements for retired players will be lost; the league’s 60-percent minimum-salary players would lose around $90,000 apiece in the 2020 season; and the uncertain American economy and impact of the coronavirus could make negotiations in 2021 more difficult.

Those two bullet points sum up the CliffsNotes on the state of the CBA. Trust me: The player vote ending Thursday at midnight—a simple majority vote will determine the outcome of the CBA—is a monumental referendum for the next decade of the NFL.

———

I won’t take up the majority of this column with labor stuff, because I know you don’t read this column to learn about jousting between millionaires and billionaires. But I thought the final hours of the NFL Players Association president Eric Winston’s six-year run as president should be noted. Some immense pressure and criticism trail him as he walks out the door.

“What’s your gut feeling about this vote?” I asked Winston over the weekend, as he prepared for his last union meeting as president. “Pass or fail?”

“What’s your gut feeling about this vote?” I asked Winston over the weekend, as he prepared for his last union meeting as president. “Pass or fail?”

“I’ve gotten that question a few times,” Winston said from a hotel lobby in Miami, site of the annual NFLPA meetings. “I would think it would pass. I would think it would pass by a lot. It’s important that we let the process play out, and important that all players understand the issues and vote their conscience.”

If the vote fails, Winston said, “We know we’ll be approaching some tense times.”

About 150 players are scheduled to attend the three-day meeting that began Sunday. Voting for a new president—Carolina tackle Russell Okung is the only announced candidate—is planned for Tuesday.

Winston sounded calm when we spoke, but I’ve heard about the toll this has taken on him, particularly from those who think he and union executive director De Smith rushed a bad deal. “There’s people,” Winston said, “I call ‘em Twitter lawyers, who think somehow this deal was put together quickly. These have been some pretty long and painstaking negotiations. One thing this has not been is rushed. De went to every team during the fall, let ‘em know exactly where we were. We spent 20 hours since the season ended with our player reps. There have been some misconceptions about the process. You’re not going to get everything you want in a negotiation, and we certainly didn’t.”

The biggest problem for the deal herded by Smith and Winston is the 17-game schedule. Packers player rep Aaron Rodgers told ESPN Radio in Wisconsin last week he wondered “how the hell that even got into the conversation because nobody wanted it.” Winston said he respected Rodgers, who he said had been “very thoughtful” during and after the negotiations. But, Winston said, “I have not heard that from a lot of other guys . . . We made a very aggressive offer early on. We wanted a lot, and the other side [owners] said, ‘You want a lot of this stuff, and this is what we want.’ ”

Seventeen games.

“It wasn’t our idea,” Winston said, “but the other side has a say too. And we got a lot out of it—a higher AR [all revenue, the figure both sides are using for the total increase in dollars in this deal], higher minimum [salaries], expanded rosters, four more practice squad players per team, better work conditions in training camp, better health care, better benefits, a major increase in pension for thousands of former players.”

Somehow, in the zillions of tweets and stories done on this CBA, there has been very little said about the biggest accomplishment of the deal for the union. (Some journalism school should do a study of whether Twitter and some high-profile anti-CBA tweets impacted the vote. As Smith told Mike Florio last week: “Only a fool would say it does not.”) Some 11,000 former players from bygone eras will have their pensions increased by about 53 percent (from $30,000 annually to $46,000), while approximately 700 players who played just three seasons will get pensions for the first time, and about 4,500 will get $50,000 health-savings-reimbursement accounts. “That is something I’m really proud of,” Winston said. “Our leadership said, ‘We can’t leave these guys behind.’ I don’t know why it has been covered the way it has—maybe it’s not high on the list for current players—but I know it was important for our leadership.”

If the proposed CBA is voted down, those pension and retirement improvements for nearly 12,000 ex-players go on hold. And if there’s a bitter fight next offseason, and if the economy and TV picture isn’t rosy, and if owners figure You guys had your chance at a great deal, a perk like sweetening the pot for the ex-player who’s been retired for 45 years could be the first thing to go. No one knows. But lockouts and strikes get ugly, and the union will have to be most concerned with today’s player, not yesterday’s.

Winston got a little nostalgic over the phone. “There’s some of that,” he said.

“It’s bittersweet to be going, a little. But I pass the baton, and I’m proud to pass it.”

He saved his best line for last. He knows if this deal fails, there could be a job action sometime in 2021 by hard-line players. Players haven’t had the gumption to walk off the job since September 1987, and even then, solidarity lasted only two weeks before stars like Lawrence Taylor began trickling back to work, unwilling to sacrifice their big salaries. Imagine asking Jimmy Garoppolo to give up his $24.1-million salary in 2021. Or saying to Aaron Donald, “Sacrifice that $19.9 million for the cause.” They’re in their prime earning years, and one year of that prime might be spent not earning anything. Of course I doubt it comes to that, but NFL players collectively have never had the fortitude to risk a year of income for the greater good—in this case, say, for 51 percent of the gross instead of the likely 48.5 percent this deal will provide.

“It’s one thing to get into a work stoppage,” Winston said. “It’s another thing to win one.”

Clip and save that one.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
• If it fails, a period of rancor will settle over the game. The league will play the 2020 season under more restrictive work rules; about $300 million in pension improvements for retired players will be lost; the league’s 60-percent minimum-salary players would lose around $90,000 apiece in the 2020 season; and the uncertain American economy and impact of the coronavirus could make negotiations in 2021 more difficult.

Anyone remember the movie The Legend of Bagger Vance, when Charlize Theron's character Father built this palatial country club in Savannah and then the Great Depression Hit...Wonder if Kroenke will feel the same way, if there is a strike in 2021?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Anyone remember the movie The Legend of Bagger Vance, when Charlize Theron's character Father built this palatial country club in Savannah and then the Great Depression Hit...Wonder if Kroenke will feel the same way, if there is a strike in 2021?

I'm far more worried about the Coronavirus affecting the new stadium with fans & customers wishing to avoid crowds. If it was only a strike, the stadium could be used for other events, but Covid-19 represents something else altogether, at least for the approaching season.
jmo.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm far more worried about the Coronavirus affecting the new stadium with fans & customers wishing to avoid crowds. If it was only a strike, the stadium could be used for other events, but Covid-19 represents something else altogether, at least for the approaching season.
jmo.

Well, let's hope by then the Coronavirus is a nonentity because if it's still an issue come September, we're all in trouble.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Well, let's hope by then the Coronavirus is a nonentity because if it's still an issue come September, we're all in trouble.
Spring may be a pivotal time for the fate of the coronavirus. By mid-April, we should know whether the virus is on the decline because of the changing weather. The virus can remain intact at 4 degrees (39 degrees Fahrenheit) or 10 degrees (50 F) for a longer period of time, But at (86 degrees F) then you get inactivation. And high humidity -- the virus doesn't like it either

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
As a fan, sure hope this CBA passes.

An extra game, less preseason? Yes please.

Players got a LOT in exchange for that 17th game. Player salaries will skyrocket over the next decade. (Thought I heard the salary cap could DOUBLE to 400M per team by 2030, assuming the next TV deals are as massive as expected).

IMHO players would be foolish to jeopardize this deal. Get er done.

Last edited:

Kevin

Pro Bowler
As a fan, sure hope this CBA passes.

An extra game, less preseason? Yes please.

Players got a LOT in exchange for that 17th game. Player salaries will skyrocket over the next decade. (Thought I heard the salary cap could DOUBLE to 400M per team by 2030, assuming the next TV deals are as massive as expected).

IMHO players would be foolish to jeopardize this deal. Get er done.
You sound like one of the owners

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
You sound like one of the owners
No, I believe it is a win/win for both sides.

Check out the Peter King article... if this drags into 2021, it could get ugly... could easily end up being worse for both sides if the tv deals are impacted by uncertainty

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Kevin

Pro Bowler
No, I believe it is a win/win for both sides.

Check out the Peter King article... if this drags into 2021, it could get ugly... could easily end up being worse for both sides if the tv deals are impacted by uncertainty
Nothing Peter King writes interests me. Of course, if both sides can’t agree on a new CBA in this vote, negotiations will get tense and the owners will publicly shame the players in the media and the players will cry foul and in the end they sign an agreement and they all make a lot of money.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Why did NFLPA decide not to let players change votes?

As a sense of confusion and disarray continues to engulf the NFL Players Association, there’s a lingering question regarding the union’s decision not to let players change their votes. So why did the NFLPA board of player representative decide to block a ballot-box Mulligan?

It could have been easy, given the electronic nature of the voting. The NFLPA needly simply to send an alert to everyone who voted, giving them a chance to re-do their votes. If they don’t re-do their votes, their votes stand. If they do re-do their votes, their votes change.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, one group of representatives wanted to give players a chance to change their votes because of the new information that has emerged since the initial burst of votes. Another group believed that players are responsible for getting whatever information they need to vote, and that if they vote based on the information they had when days remained to cast a ballot, they should be held to those votes.

Ultimately, the latter view prevailed when the board voted. And it’s still not clear whether the players who were clamoring for the ability to change their votes would have changed from no to yes, or yes to no.

Come Sunday, we’ll know whether whether the final vote was yes or no. Hopefully, the full number of votes cast and the total yes votes and no votes will be disclosed.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It's for the best that they did NOT allow them to change a vote they already submitted. It would have turned into a complete cluster fuck if that was suddenly thrown in this process midstream.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's for the best that they did NOT allow them to change a vote they already submitted. It would have turned into a complete cluster fuck if that was suddenly thrown in this process midstream.

If anyone would know what a cluster fuck is, when it comes to voting, it's Floridians....(Hanging Chad) because the plural of chad is chad.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
BTW Robbie Anderson was on this morning with Golic & Wingo and he stated he had not voted yet and they asked him which way he was leaning and he said something intersting.....He said, that there are obvious pluses & minuses of the CBA, however, if voted down, more than likely both sides would take a loss.

Now I have felt the players would vote it down, but Anderson made an excellent point, that with everything going on, they might realize voting it down will turn into a possible work stoppage, which is not good for everybody involved.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I've been struggling to follow this. What new information has come out since players started voting that would have them wanting to change their vote?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I've been struggling to follow this. What new information has come out since players started voting that would have them wanting to change their vote?

I wonder If the Coronavirus was to delay or disrupt the season, could it severely alter revenue sharing effecting the 2021 CAP, or are provisions already in place for a reduced season ? Will TV money alone have the NFL playing games without an audience like the NBA is discussing ?