Can QB Luis Perez make Rams Final Roster?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So is he 6’3” 220 or 6’0” 190?
This was my first question....measureables...
I just saw Train said he's 6'3....220

He's at LEAST making the PS....unless he's terrible....he definitely has a shot...they did a short piece on him on NFL Live....

OP...yeah...the kid has a shot

nighttrain

Legend
This was my first question....measureables...
I just saw Train said he's 6'3....220

He's at LEAST making the PS....unless he's terrible....he definitely has a shot...they did a short piece on him on NFL Live....

OP...yeah...the kid has a shot
google him, some good stuff
train

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
The guy in that presse looks closer to 130 than 230 imo. That’s one skinny kid, he makes rookie Jared Goff look like mister Olympia.

DeaconJ

Rookie
70.6% completion percentage and 46 TDs throwing to DII receivers? The kid might have something?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I know bowling is in no way an indicator if a kid has the stuff to be a QB at any level, much less in the NFL but to bowl 12 perfect games at his age is impressive. It tells me, if nothing else, the kid has great concentration, ability to adapt to conditions, ability to replicate technique, and is competitive. My high game is 279, once, and I think I'm pretty competitive when it comes to keeping score. Bowling a 300 game is difficult and not many can do it without at least a little luck so racking up 12 of them only comes from very talented people. I'd keep an eye on this kid's future.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I know bowling is in no way an indicator if a kid has the stuff to be a QB at any level, much less in the NFL but to bowl 12 perfect games at his age is impressive. It tells me, if nothing else, the kid has great concentration, ability to adapt to conditions, ability to replicate technique, and is competitive. My high game is 279, once, and I think I'm pretty competitive when it comes to keeping score. Bowling a 300 game is difficult and not many can do it without at least a little luck so racking up 12 of them only comes from very talented people. I'd keep an eye on this kid's future.
I’ve bowled 300 before.

McKay it took me two games but...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
At the very least, it'll give someone I really want to cheer for in the preseason. I hope he gets a lot of live game reps some where along the line. As for making the team, I want to be optimistic but I don't think it's likely. If they are blown away by his talent in camp and they don't have need to keep other position depth on it I could see him being stored on the practice squad.
If nothing else, I am to the point of believing that if Mannion’s next contract would be a fair bit more expensive they need to find his replacement even if I feel he is still our best back up option.

nighttrain

Legend
If nothing else, I am to the point of believing that if Mannion’s next contract would be a fair bit more expensive they need to find his replacement even if I feel he is still our best back up option.
our best option, Rams and us fans are in bad shape if Goff goes down
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt. One could argue, however, that it only serves to count more against his chances that his coach at a lower level wasn't wowed enough by him to do more around his talent in the offense.

Yet, McVay offered him a contract. Let's wait and see what happens when he hits the field.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For a normal dude? Yes. But for a driven type like, say, Kurt Warner, who refused to let go of the dream? No.

Which is why I think he's such an extreme longshot. On top of the reality of camp arms in the first place.

Kurt refused to go into the game as a rookie.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
He could be the next "Fan Favorite," a.k.a. the Nelson Spruce, of this year's team. I'm rooting he makes the practice squad.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yet, McVay offered him a contract. Let's wait and see what happens when he hits the field.

Yeah, he did. Stop with that man. OP posed the question, just put forth my opinion.

If you think he's the next Dan Marino throw it out there. Focus on that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, he did. Stop with that man. OP posed the question, just put forth my opinion.

If you think he's the next Dan Marino throw it out there. Focus on that.

I think he's the next Kurt Warner . . . or the next Keith Null.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kurt refused to go into the game as a rookie.

Wasn't it a practice rep?

Funny when they interviewed Favre a few years later about Kurt and he said Kurt didn't look anything like that (mvp) at training camp.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wasn't it a practice rep?

Funny when they interviewed Favre a few years later about Kurt and he said Kurt didn't look anything like that (mvp) at training camp.

You're right. It was a training camp practice. Point being that if you cherry-pick a small part of the story, you can easily make someone look bad. Instead of focusing on the fact that Perez quit, let's focus on the fact that he found a way to earn a starting job at a JUCO after not playing QB in HS and then found a way to become an elite D-II QB. I don't know if the kid is any good. I've never seen him play, but you don't get to the NFL taking the road he did without mental toughness, work ethic, and perseverance.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Great story. Like, really great story, and very interesting family history. This kids gonna do something, just don't know if it's football. I wish him well.

Wasn't it SJ39, who was a great bowler? Or was it someone else? I'm thinking Faulk could do anything,

Edit: I think it was Jerome Bettis.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
our best option, Rams and us fans are in bad shape if Goff goes down
train
I could not agree with you more nighttrain! Just take a gander @ this below article. Great reminder.:sadwalk:

What do the Rams have in QB Sean Mannion?
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...-film-sean-mannion-study-game-analysis-49ers/

Ideally, the Los Angeles Rams won’t have to worry about a quarterback other than Jared Goff for many years. But in today’s NFL, a good backup quarterback is essential. Virtually every starter will miss time due to injury at some point, and the best teams often have the best backups. Never was this made more apparent than this past year when backup Nick Foles took over for an injured Carson Wentz and led the Eagles to their first-ever Super Bowl win.

Of the three quarterbacks currently behind Goff on the Rams’ depth chart, only Sean Mannion has attempted a regular season NFL pass. The Rams have arguably the least experienced backup quarterbacks in the league. Mannion came to the Rams as a third-round pick during the Jeff Fisher-era back in 2015.

He has no connection to the Sean McVay coaching staff, and while he’s the heavy favorite to be the backup in 2018, there’s no guarantee he’s back with the Rams after this season. To find out what the Rams have in Mannion, and whether they need to address the position further, I dug into the tape from Mannion’s lone regular season start in Week 17 of last year. Here’s what I found:

mannion1.gif

Mannion didn’t get off to a great start. After a three-and-out on the Rams’ first drive, Mannion found himself with a second-and-8 on their second drive. Right from the start, he’s looking for Mike Thomas. Mannion stares down Thomas from the moment he takes the snap, and 49ers safety Eric Reid reads his eyes the entire way. As Mannion winds up, Reid easily jumps the route and drops what could’ve very easily been a pick-six. Mannion also had some lackadaisical footwork here, with no rhythm to his drop-back, causing the velocity on his pass to dip, making it an easier play for Reid.

mannion2.gif

Mannion continued to have a rough first quarter. After an interception set him up with great field position deep in 49ers territory, Mannion misfired badly on this play on second and goal from the 5-yard line. Attempting to throw a fade to Josh Reynolds, Mannion put way too much air under the ball and ended up floating it several feet out of bounds. This is a throw you simply can’t deliver so inaccurately to be a quarterback in the NFL, and Reynolds never has a chance to make a play on the ball.
mannion3.gif

Things got a little better on the Rams’ first drive of the second quarter. On a third-and-5 near midfield, Mannion stood tall in the face of interior pressure and delivered a nice ball to Thomas to pick up the first down. It’s an impressive throw as Mannion was about to be hit, and he places the ball accurately to the outside where only Thomas can get it.

mannion5.gif

Mannion didn’t get much help from his receivers. With a few minutes left in the first half, Mannion unleashed an accurate deep ball which would’ve given the Rams a first down in 49er territory, but Tavon Austin dropped it. The possession ended up stalling and turned into a punt.

mannion6.gif

After the 49ers scored to make the game 20-3, the Rams got the ball back with just over a minute left in the half. Facing a potential 17-point halftime deficit, the Rams needed to score. Mannion stepped up by delivering his best pass of the day, hitting Pharoh Cooper in stride for a big gain over the middle of the field.

mannion7.gif

After the big play to Cooper, Mannion followed it up with another big completion to Thomas. Right after that, however, he wiped all the progress away with a costly turnover. Mannion failed to sense the pressure fast enough and instead of hitting the open check-down to his left, he held onto the ball too long and was stripped.

mannion8.gif

After a Jimmy Garoppolo interception gave the ball right back to the Rams, Mannion made the most of the opportunity. With less than 10 seconds left in the half, Mannion fired a bomb downfield to Thomas. The ball was perfectly placed and traveled over 45 yards in the air, and is probably the best pass Mannion has thrown in his professional career, including the preseason. It set up a field goal by Sam Ficken a play later and gave the Rams some desperately needed momentum heading into halftime.

mannion10.gif

Mannion continued to get little help from his receivers in the second half. On his first pass attempt of the third quarter, he threw a nice ball over the middle, elevating it right over the linebacker dropping back and underneath the safety, but Cooper dropped it. Plays like this were common throughout the game, as there were at least four or five bad drops.

mannion9.gif

While he definitely improved throwing the ball after his slow start, he still had some bad moments. Late in the third with the Rams down 21 and in need of a score, Mannion tried forcing a throw into tight coverage and didn’t get enough on the ball, leaving it short. It hit off the hands of 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster, and probably should’ve been intercepted.

The 49ers ran the clock out most of the fourth quarter, limiting his pass attempts the rest of the way. His remaining completions were mostly check-downs.

The bottom line:
Overall, Mannion’s first professional start was a mixed bag. He started the game shaky and was clearly a bit nervous. He eventually settled into a nice rhythm and was able to string together a few nice throws in a row. He also struggled with his accuracy at times and tried to force passes, and his footwork needs major improvement.

Mannion had some potentially big plays negated by bad drops, but also nearly had a couple of interceptions that were dropped by defenders. It should also be noted that Mannion was playing without most of the starters on offense, and had little help around him.

That being said, he still has to make major strides to prove to the Rams he can be the team’s long-term solution at backup quarterback. A free agent after this season, training camp and the preseason this year will go a long way in determining whether he’s brought back in 2019.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You know it’s the slow part of the offseason when there is almost 4 pages on a guy who probably won’t make it to training camp. Lol

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A division II bowler turned QB may be competition for Sean Mannion. Cant wait to see how this turns out

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
He's an underdog and a late bloomer with some more upside in his game.

After watching some of his highlights and reading about his story, this was the game I decided to post.

I have my own thoughts with my own opinion but this is for you armchair scouting experts to view. :cool:

Texas A&M-Commerce wins first DII national championship

Louis Perez every snap: Dec 17, 2017 Division II Football Championship:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kpRk-xn2-w