Cam Akers Out - Coach's Decision

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
Take it for what it's worth.
It would be nice to get something for him though.

Buccaneers Are Exploring Trade With Los Angeles Rams Running Back​

The Buccaneers are reportedly interested in building depth in its running back room.

In this story:​

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are down a running back with Chase Edmonds headed to Injured Reserve with an MCL injury.
According to NFL Insider Jordan Schultz, the Bucs are one of several teams that have reached out to the Los Angeles Rams regarding a trade for disgruntled running back Cam Akers.

Akers is in the final year of his rookie deal set to pay him $1.9 million and has had an up-and-down tenure with the Rams. He was a surprise healthy scratch in Week 2 as the team looks to move on from their former second-round pick.
READ MORE: Buccaneers Running Back Likely Headed to Injured Reserve After Knee Injury
The 24-year-old was expected to be the Rams top running back after rushing for a career-best 786 yards and seven touchdowns last season. He had 29 rushing yards and a touchdown in Week 1 against the Seahawks.

While the most likely scenario still remains when he is released, if a team like the Bucs wants to ensure they get him without competing with other teams through waivers, offering a late or conditional-round pick may make sense.
The Bucs displayed plenty of interest in Akers in the pre-draft process. They conducted a formal interview with him at the NFL Scouting Combine and hosted the former FSU runner on a local visit as well.

READ MORE: Dallas Cowboys Release Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers Super Bowl Champion Running Back
The Bucs have a disgruntled running back of their own in fellow draft classmate Ke'Shawn Vaughn. He skipped practice Week 1 after a demotion to fourth string and has been inactive the last two weeks. They also have Patrick Liard on their practice squad.

Stick with BucsGameday and the Locked On Bucs podcast for more coverage of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers throughout the 2023 season.
Follow BucsGameday on
Twitter and Facebook

JC Allen
BY
JC ALLEN

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Akers will only net us a 6th and we give up Akers & a 7th .. Akers had no trade value last year, and other teams keep hearing how Akers is a bitch behind closed doors

I don't believe the Rams have a 2024 7'th round draft pick, ... at least not yet ?

edit :

Seems we should be getting more than a 6'th round Compensatory pick for losing Baker Mayfield to free agency. jmo.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Re-watched some of the game today, and paid more close attention to the words Laura Okmin said about the Cam situation.

1. She reported that Snead said, "other guys beat him (Cam) out onto the field today." The fact that she used the plural ("guys" instead of "guy") was interesting.

2. Okmin said, "it's fair to connect the dots from the issues last year to what's going on this year." This contradicts McVay's denial. Common sense would indicate that of course the situation from last year affects things (especially if "attitude" is the issue.)

3. Okmin said, "what I've been hearing all morning is that There is a real emphasis on "culture" here, especially with all of the young guys, and Cam was not adhering to that." She then went on to say that Cam was not living up to the notions of "accountability" and "do what's expected of you."

Anyway, I know that McVay said he "has all the respect in the world for Cam" and that "this year has nothing to do with last year." Okmin's reporting would make me question both those statements.

Bottom line, I didn't quite hear all of Okmin's words the first time around... but after hearing it again, she is quite clearly saying that the Rams organization thinks Cam has an attitude problem.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Re-watched some of the game today, and paid more close attention to the words Laura Okmin said about the Cam situation.

1. She reported that Snead said, "other guys beat him (Cam) out onto the field today." The fact that she used the plural ("guys" instead of "guy") was interesting.

2. Okmin said, "it's fair to connect the dots from the issues last year to what's going on this year." This contradicts McVay's denial. Common sense would indicate that of course the situation from last year affects things (especially if "attitude" is the issue.)

3. Okmin said, "what I've been hearing all morning is that There is a real emphasis on "culture" here, especially with all of the young guys, and Cam was not adhering to that." She then went on to say that Cam was not living up to the notions of "accountability" and "do what's expected of you."

Anyway, I know that McVay said he "has all the respect in the world for Cam" and that "this year has nothing to do with last year." Okmin's reporting would make me question both those statements.

Bottom line, I didn't quite hear all of Okmin's words the first time around... but after hearing it again, she is quite clearly saying that the Rams organization thinks Cam has an attitude problem.
And Okmin should be trusted over McVay. She actually makes assumptions, with no evidence to back it up. Forgive me if you will as I have been given no reason not to trust McVay.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
I remember some of the OTA talk about how Cam and Van had become kinda joined at the hip, pushing each other in practice and holding each other accountable. I think there was even some video footage about the two of them. My point being, I wonder how much of an affect these problems with Cam are having on Van? Could his bad attitude be dragging Van down?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
And Okmin should be trusted over McVay. She actually makes assumptions, with no evidence to back it up. Forgive me if you will as I have been given no reason not to trust McVay.
When Okmin says "I've been hearing all morning", that implies to me that she has multiple sources on this that want to remain anonymous.

And yeah, I absolutely love McVay as a coach. I've thought he was a genius coach from Day One, and still do. But he lies all the damn time-- because his profession REQUIRES him to lie, or at least shade the truth. (Especially about players who have injuries, or about players in his doghouse). Initially, McVay said that the issues with Cam have "nothing to do with the issues last year." But to me, common sense tells me otherwise.

If indeed Akers has an attitude problem, it would make all the sense in the world for McVay to minimize it and not be entirely forthcoming to the public about that. They still gotta find a trade partner, after all.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I remember some of the OTA talk about how Cam and Van had become kinda joined at the hip, pushing each other in practice and holding each other accountable. I think there was even some video footage about the two of them. My point being, I wonder how much of an affect these problems with Cam are having on Van? Could his bad attitude be dragging Van down?

IMO - Stafford or Mcvay went back to Can Jefferson I’m the 9ers game to try to sort off keep his confidence.Can didn’t make the play or could have run a better routes. / point is when Van goes back and watches film he won’t have anything to complain about from them.

Mcvay showed confidence in Van Jefferson.However he wants to take is another thing.He knows he has to be better.His dad has been an NFL wr coach for awhile.
I don’t see him being a problem.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When Okmin says "I've been hearing all morning", that implies to me that she has multiple sources on this that want to remain anonymous.

And yeah, I absolutely love McVay as a coach. I've thought he was a genius coach from Day One, and still do. But he lies all the damn time-- because his profession REQUIRES him to lie, or at least shade the truth. (Especially about players who have injuries, or about players in his doghouse). Initially, McVay said that the issues with Cam have "nothing to do with the issues last year." But to me, common sense tells me otherwise.

If indeed Akers has an attitude problem, it would make all the sense in the world for McVay to minimize it and not be entirely forthcoming to the public about that. They still gotta find a trade partner, after all.

So what exactly is your point? I guess I missed something???

Has Cam Akers played his last game as a Ram ? To me that will be the only issue I see.

Mcvay shades the Truth no doubt,that’s correct 100 %.

He also try’s to talk up players as well.His expectations are High!!.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
So what exactly is your point? I guess I missed something???

I was responding to @ReekofRams, who seemed to imply McVay was being honest when he said the issues with Cam were "unrelated to last year." That's all.

I think McVay was shading the truth when he said that, which is fine. It's totally appropriate for McVay to be "less than forthcoming" in a situation like this.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I was responding to @ReekofRams, who seemed to imply McVay was being honest when he said the issues with Cam were "unrelated to last year." That's all.

I think McVay was shading the truth when he said that, which is fine. It's totally appropriate for McVay to be "less than forthcoming" in a situation like this.
YES it was a touchy situation at the time I’m sure.

Nice reply !!!

In this case I don’t know if Mcvay was going to allow it to be about last season though.I think he gave Cam Akers more than the benefit of the doubt.The History of last season really left Mcvay no choice.
There’s a few things there & Cam Akers took his stand on being a starter !! What Kyren Williams has done in 2 game’s is impressive. 2 TD’s/2 games =4 TD’s..
Mcvay tried last week to show Cam Akers he was still going to get his.Attitude is huge & The Rams Ron Gould isn’t going to have any of that.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
BTW - I’m talking out the side of my but/ still an opinion credible?

I don’t think Mcvay will allow a Player to be Bigger than The Team(Rams).

What Mcvay believes in & how he has evolved as a HC(human) is all organic.He says he LOVES his players.Always has. TODD GURLEY wasn’t easy & Respect was ALWAYS there from coach!!

Mcvay is honest about his LOVE for coaching & is PROUD of his believes & body of work.It’s like FAITH & your MORALS.We can all be BETTER!!!

With that Inwish all Ram Fans success in LIFE & stay True to yourself (Family).

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That said as well!! Mcvay has a Boy on the Way!! He is growing as a Man/Father & a person.
He lost his grandfather last season & just looking at WAR from a New family with his wife(Veronica).
Sometimes it’s easy to lose track of the purpose & what your goals are & direction in life.

Just glad Sean Mcvay has google maps & has found his direction & love as The Rams HC!!

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
McVay: Wants to keep things in house. Refrains from saying actual negatives on any player or coach.
reporters: Want to find out the truth for a juicy scoop.
Us: we'd really like to know the truth too.

Does anyone really think the negative attitude part will surface from the Rams when trying to make a trade? Trying to trade a healthy RB says something. And it silently says "stay away." The "maybe a change of scenery" part may not apply if Cam wants to get more touches when the few teams interested may only want him for depth. And like Dieter said there could be leverage at work.

I'd like to, but would be surprised if we got anything for him at this point.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah it is pretty clear that Cam expects starting snaps and probably a certain number of handoffs. So I would at this point call him a diva. Which is not the worst thing to be in the NFL.

Unfortunately he is a RB, plays for a coach who stresses culture, and has a history of being a guy you cannot count on.

This Omkin chick is probably reading alll this and connecting dots. Either way I suspect she is right and McVay is doing his thing to minimize it all.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Rappaport said he expects a deal done soon. I don't know what he knows but yeah, get it done, take what you get and put him and his issues in the rearview mirror.

dang

Legend
Rappaport said he expects a deal done soon. I don't know what he knows but yeah, get it done, take what you get and put him and his issues in the rearview mirror.
We ALL expect a deal soon. Too many injuries at RB already for there not to be a market for Akers. Which plays into RBs not getting long term contracts.