Cam Akers injury, rehab & return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Man talk about disappointment.

Just scanned Xavier Jones twitter account from the above link. I can't understand what he is trying to say about anything. I think he may a confidence problem? Hard to decipher.

I do know this. We have all the right people in place as to not make this as big of a problem it may have been for other teams. Ownership on down to the bench.

That is one freaking painful injury. Feel for Cam both professionally and physically. Good lord.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
This is not just a seasonal injury; this could be career-threatening. Achilles tears are no joke, especially for a running back. I feel so sick for Akers right now, and honestly, I could see us drafting a running back high...again, especially if Henderson/Funk/Jones can't handle the load.
Totally agree with you here. After suffering thru the Gurley shit, I'm starting to develop PTSD as far as running back injuries go. We are definitely drafting one high next draft.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Totally agree with you here. After suffering thru the Gurley shit, I'm starting to develop PTSD as far as running back injuries go. We are definitely drafting one high next draft.

Honestly, I'd probably draft two because Jones and Calais are the only ones who don't have injury concerns in the pros and college.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
There's a reason RBs have the shortest careers......so bummed about this since Akers showed he is special

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wish they had drafted Khalil Herbert. Teams always need runningback sand he’s a great fit for this offense.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
From Schefter…..

Rams don't have any immediate plans to pursue a free-agent running back. They believe in Darrell Henderson, like last year's undrafted free agent RB Xavier Jones and also drafted RB Jake Funk in the seventh round this year. For now, they're standing pat, but could revisit later.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
sucks big time for the kid

But yet another reason why teams should not be spending good draft picks on RBs. You’re likely not giving them a 2nd contract (bad decision). Spend those picks on OL and pick up RBs later on.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok guys, 6 pages for a practical joke is going too far....

95QimDX.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Welp, looks like Stafford will be throwing for 6000 yards this season., and that's not good.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Fuck Gurley...
Damn lol. He's only said nice things about the Rams after he left.

I expect Henderson to be #1 and any FA signing to be for a back up role. Henderson is not big enough to handle short yardage, power runs so I think we need a different back for those situations.

I think the guys I listed have a enough in the tank for limited carries in a back up role.

Shuie3225

Starter
Yea this sucks for this year no doubt. But the bigger issue is players never come back after an aquilles tear as their old self. Not in football, not at RB. This is the absolute worst injury for a 22 yr old Akers with his whole career ahead of him. Two ACL tears would've been better than one aquilles tear. Just gutted for this kid because he'll never reach his full potential now.

oldnotdead

Legend
This is devastating news for the kid. Memento is right not everyone can come back from this injury and sometimes recovery is more than a year long. My thoughts and best wishes for his recovery. Hopefully he will return next year.

But as I said in another thread, Henderson really isn't a dropoff. This moves Funk to #2. I'm not sold on Xavier Jones, his lack of breakaway speed is a concern. I can see them signing someone before camp and not necessarily off the waiver wire. I'm sure they have UDFA RBs in their analytics database.

Having Funk is extremely fortunate as it changes the parameters of their approach.

Shuie3225

Starter
This is not just a seasonal injury; this could be career-threatening. Achilles tears are no joke, especially for a running back.
This 100%. Many around here just wishing a "speedy recovery" dont understand the impact of an aquilles tear. The worst injury he could've suffered without a doubt. And "could be" career threatening is the understatement of the century.. it will alter his career. Thats the shittiest part about this injury. No one around here can name one elite level RB who tore an aquilles and came back as strong afterwards. It's just never happened.