Cam Akers injury, rehab & return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I'm not into the thought of next man up. Our window is closing. We need to get someone in here. He'll, bring in AP. He deserves a shot at a SB

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Key And Peele Reaction GIF

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
I'm not into the thought of next man up. Our window is closing. We need to get someone in here. He'll, bring in AP. He deserves a shot at a SB
Thats what people said when Trent went down.....worked out ok then, lets hope it does now too.

dang

Legend
I was prepared for either Akers or Hendo going down with a season ending injury. If there’s any silver lining this occurred preseason. The Rams need help this year so a one year contract for a vet that can run inside seems likely. Not sure if a motivated Bell could work but he comes to mind.

Psycho_X

Legend
nor do they appreciate a loudmouth asshat in the locker...

gimme bell...
Those are two contradictory statements I think.

I don't know what the answer is to this. They won't replace Akers ability unfortunately. Henderson is easily a starting caliber RB just the durability of a now 17 game season is the scary part. Funk looks and sounds the part but again.... durability. I'm excited by the prospect of Otis Anderson in both return game and on offense but we probably shouldn't rely on two rookies as our sole depth. Bell is an asshat and not sure he'd be the kind of guy McVay would bring into the locker room. AP... idk, I guess Stafford can give his opinion about the guy to the front office since he's played with him but he doesn't have much... anything left. Gurley's ship has sailed here. I don't think him or McVay would go that route.

So yeah, just sucks. If Henderson stays healthy all year than it's not a huge issue. But that's a big if.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Might be worth watching the Texans or giving them a call now. They have David Johnson, Phillip Lindsay, Mark Ingram, and Rex Burkhead. You'd think one might be available for trade.
Philip Lindsay would be great. He is injury prone himself, and not a pass catching threat. More of a runner only. But in the circumstances, I think he's far above any other targets. Anyone who watched the Broncos last year will know he was far superior to Melvin Gordon.

Awful blow for both Akers and the team. He was poised to have a huge year and cement himself among the truly elite RBs, IMO. He's special. Our RBs' ability to stay healthy is becoming a huge problem.

What is most concerning about this news is that many RBs are never the same after an Achilles tear. Nothing but bad luck. But that would be a high draft pick to spend on less than 1 season of a player.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
And this is the reason you have to have a whole stable of RBs on your team. At least this happened early and we can work on bringing in another horse for the empty stall.

Very disappointing though for Cam. My twins who went to school with him at FSU told me about this very early this morning. They heard it through the grape vine from some of their bois. I was waiting to hear this from an official source before I believed them though.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
That hurts....alot. Rb room just can't seem to stay healthy.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Damn… we gonna miss Malcolm Brown.

Also, glad we didn’t sign anyone so we have room to sign someone on a 1 yr deal

Q729

Legend
Mother... I'm sure a few of you were like me waiting for the "haha got you" words on the first post. Damn it. Here's hoping Stafford can still make a difference without the running game... Or better yet, I hope the running game can keep rolling somehow... Definitely not putting my hopes on bottling lightning again with the whole "we'll play good football" thing. Find a way, McVay!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I assume Akers is the furthest along as the blocking running back on third down. If Frank Gore or Gurley wants a shot at a chip, maybe they'd take that role.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It sucks but I feel like RBs are pretty replaceable these days and Hendo isnt much of a drop off. CJ came in and balled.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Oof, that’s a blow for our RB core. Akers was on my list of players to have an insane season.

We can’t be serious in even mentioning Gurley as a replacement. The dude got jettisoned, burned bridges on his way out, has worse knees now than when he was with us and didn’t show much in his stint with the Falcons.

I don’t know who we would/should bring in but Gurley ain’t it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Enormous hit for our offense. Might cost us a shot at the ring this year. And I feel terrible for Cam, IMO he was poised for a special season just based on how he looked down the stretch last year.

This offense just doesn't look the same with Hendy as the primary runner. He is a change of pace. So now we're hoping for Jones to be a back who can carry us. I wanted to see Jones in the worst way last year in a few games where Akers was dinged up but that's a lot to hope for from a roster depth guy.

IMO they will make a move to add a back to the fold.

Is CJ Anderson available?
I'd sign him and have him join our camp if I were Snead. I get that McVay likes the speed backs. But CJ adds toughness and determination to our run game so yeah I'd definitely be calling him as well as anyone else I have on that GM emergency list who fits.