Blythes injury?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
We have used two 3rd rounders, a 4th, 5th and a 6th the last two years.

And then you coach them up.
This is how you do it ideally.

no..we've done great getting these guys to this point... but having that much inexperience on your interior line isn't always a recipe for success in terms of going all the way to the Super Bowl.... but up to now..everything we've done in that area has worked out in an optimal manner for us..

I'd just feel better with 1 more guy that has some experience

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I wasnt that impressed with Demby when he came in yesterday, I thought there was a notable drop off from Blythe who I've complained before gets no credit from the otherwise wonderfully knowledgable rams fans on this site. I hope I am wrong when I say that we might all appreciate him a bit more in his absence next week.

But Demby will get a week with the ones and hopefully they'll scheme him some help too. Let's see how he gets on with a full week to prepare and not coming in cold like he did yesterday. He did at least outperform the Saints backup guard who came in! (I forget the name...).
Ive noticed Blythe was a good player around here until the superbowl and everyone fell in love with our draftees "potential". But I agree with you, Blythe is a decent o linemen with great versatility.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Last year I banged the drum for fowler for months this year I will bang the drum for veteran o-line depth as in wisneiwski!!!!! Guard center veteran cheap and average or better.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have been hard on Austin Blythe this season but I just re-watched the game & found that Blythe played an excellent game until the injury(y):giggle:. Blythe had the additional burden of assisting Rob Havenstein on most all pass protections. Kudos to Blythe sorry he was injured. I am also feeling bad for giving him a hard time about his late 2018 season decline.

Havenstein held his own on run blocking but his performance in pass protection was awful. Not sure why Havenstein had such a poor showing.(n):sick:

I also feel(y):giggle: very good about Jamil Demby's play too. He did have a few bad blocking events but overall he graded out very well for his first action in regular season.

oldnotdead

Legend
Rob has always been viewed as a run blocking OT which is why he's playing RT not LT. That's why I've always felt he needs to move inside move on after this contract. I like him and think his pass protection issues (i.e. poor lateral quickness) will be minimized. It's why IMO they drafted Edwards as his eventual replacement.

If Blythe is going to be week to week then they already have a replacement for him in Coleman Shelton on the active roster. They can simply work him in this week and play him until they want to bring back Blythe. If it's a low ankle sprain it could be 1-3 weeks. A high ankle sprain is a different matter all together as they tend to linger. At his position he needs to be 100% not 80 something %. Lower body drive is half his leverage. If it lingers I wonder if they will IR Blythe (able to return) and sign Brewer from the PS. Brewer has the build of a classic big RG, with height and long arms giving him excellent play radius. Decent feet with the ability to pull.

Demby having been played all over the o-line is basically their relief pitcher. Coleman hasn't been used that way. Most of his college career was at Center with some very limited action at OG and even OT but that was in 2015 and earlier. Since then he's been strictly a center and with his build that is where he's best suited in the NFL. The techiques at OG and C are similar so that is why you see most centers playing both positions.

Demby is the swiss army knife, adequate emergency tool all over the place, but master of none.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Havenstein held his own on run blocking but his performance in pass protection was awful. Not sure why Havenstein had such a poor showing.

The guy he was going up against was Camron Jordan and let's not forget he is an all pro type player

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Thanks for the props, jrry.

No, I’m not in the medical field, but maybe I should be! Reading about medicine is a hobby of mine. I’ve had a ton of sports-related injuries over the last decade, and I just got in the habit of researching this stuff. Plus my best friend is an urgent care doc, and we chat about medical stuff a lot.

Honestly, I think I can diagnose this stuff better than some medical folks... it’s all about common sense, educated guesswork, and knowing where to look on the net for reliable information.

That's like me with some neuro stuff.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The guy he was going up against was Camron Jordan and let's not forget he is an all pro type player

I think people forget that Hav has always struggled against a big/fast speed rushers on the right. See him against Clowney, he struggled all game. A lot of teams don't have speed rushers on the right side but more power rushers which he handles with ease most of the time. He was rated a top 3 RT last season and I think he'll get back on track.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
no..we've done great getting these guys to this point... but having that much inexperience on your interior line isn't always a recipe for success in terms of going all the way to the Super Bowl.... but up to now..everything we've done in that area has worked out in an optimal manner for us..

I'd just feel better with 1 more guy that has some experience
We would all feel better if we had backups that were experienced but the reality is this;

Because of the collective bargaining agreement we cannot afford to pay veterans because vet minimum is WAY more expensive than paying a 5th or 6th round draft pick.

It's just the reality of the economics of the collective bargaining agreement.

The way the new NFL works is you have to cut those expensive veterans, (maybe even before their time is up) and sign more draft picks and give them the reps to get them ready to replace veterans or players whose contracts expire

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
What about our rookie tackles? Could either one of them play RG or is that just silly?

fearsomefour

Legend
I wasnt that impressed with Demby when he came in yesterday, I thought there was a notable drop off from Blythe who I've complained before gets no credit from the otherwise wonderfully knowledgable rams fans on this site. I hope I am wrong when I say that we might all appreciate him a bit more in his absence next week.

But Demby will get a week with the ones and hopefully they'll scheme him some help too. Let's see how he gets on with a full week to prepare and not coming in cold like he did yesterday. He did at least outperform the Saints backup guard who came in! (I forget the name...).
Hopefully they gameplan around Dembys weaknesses a bit.
The Browns will certainly attack him.

fearsomefour

Legend
What about our rookie tackles? Could either one of them play RG or is that just silly?
They could, but neither were that impressive.
The bigger reason is keeping the rookie T on the bench is the Rams probably feel more comfortable with Demby inside and not at T. By playing their T they are risking their T depth.
Either way, with a week of focused practice within a game plan it will be interesting to see how Demby does.

RamWoodie

Legend
From his rookie year Havenstien has been a mainstay at RT. In my mind there's something that hasn't been revealed on him injury wise. He's a player I never have a concern about.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I know Demby is a drop off from Blythe at first glance but does Demby offer more upside? I have my reservations with Blythe being a top tier linemen considering he wasn't physically imposing during the postseason, especially during the Super Bowl.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would think both of them could play guard.
It seems like they are zeroing in on tackles in the draft that may be a little on the short side of prototype size.
it's always nice to have a guard who has the footwork ability of a tackle.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I know Demby is a drop off from Blythe at first glance but does Demby offer more upside? I have my reservations with Blythe being a toiIp tier linemen considering he wasn't physically imposing during the postseason, especially during the Super Bowl.
Even though they cut Demby and he was off of the roster for a short while they got them back pretty quick because I think they DEFINITELY see the potential in him.

All players develop at different rates.
He's just been a little slow to develop but I don't think he looked that bad Sunday.

I think they draft these offensive lineman in particular with a few things in mind;
Prototype size.
Movement skills.
Brains.
Level of coaching, (Even a player that was under coached in college who has the other traits needed may be able to be coached into Pro level status).

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I know Demby is a drop off from Blythe at first glance but does Demby offer more upside? I have my reservations with Blythe being a top tier linemen considering he wasn't physically imposing during the postseason, especially during the Super Bowl.

I don't think so and I liked Demby coming out....Seems that his legs are thin and he's not proportioned well and struggles to get to the second level because of it.

@BonifayRam felt Demby graded well, I thought he struggled in pass protection and although McVay and Kromer said good things about Demby, I would ask Goff. IMHO, the Rams will be making a few moves next year by drafting a RG very early (Tommy Kraemer Notre Dame) and then either sign a LG or give David Edwards at chance as Noteboom slides to LT in 2020.