Blythes injury?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think so and I liked Demby coming out....Seems that his legs are thin and he's not proportioned well and struggles to get to the second level because of it.

@BonifayRam felt Demby graded well, I thought he struggled in pass protection and although McVay and Kromer said good things about Demby, I would ask Goff. IMHO, the Rams will be making a few moves next year by drafting a RG very early (Tommy Kraemer Notre Dame) and then either sign a LG or give David Edwards at chance as Noteboom slides to LT in 2020.

Well if you remember Blythe got the go ahead because of Browns injury at RG. No one thought Blythe would outplay Brown at that point. But he did and the rest is history. Lets see how Demby does in the next couple of weeks. We'll know a lot more by mid week from the Rams coaching staff. if we see someone come up from the PS, a trade, or a UDFA signing then we can start worrying.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I know Demby is a drop off from Blythe at first glance but does Demby offer more upside? I have my reservations with Blythe being a top tier linemen considering he wasn't physically imposing during the postseason, especially during the Super Bowl.

I don't understand why Blythe is specifically and continually referred to as having a bad game in the superbowl. The whole offense had a bad day!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We would all feel better if we had backups that were experienced but the reality is this;

Because of the collective bargaining agreement we cannot afford to pay veterans because vet minimum is WAY more expensive than paying a 5th or 6th round draft pick.

It's just the reality of the economics of the collective bargaining agreement.

The way the new NFL works is you have to cut those expensive veterans, (maybe even before their time is up) and sign more draft picks and give them the reps to get them ready to replace veterans or players whose contracts expire
The ideal situation is to put your cap funds mainly in playing positions that normally takes the most time to get them schooled coached up in order to be effective as a starter.

The opposite end would identify which NFL playing positions have a very quick short time period to get them coached up & ready for NFL starting standards.

I consider the offensive side to fall into the side where I would put most of the salary cap investment funds in. The QB & five OL positions as the posts that normally takes the most time to get up to NFL speed. Efforts to keep these posts with well-seasoned good performing player vital. If you invest over 134 million in your QB you better ensure that your OL is a strength to keep him healthy & unmolested. Otherwise, why invest so much salary cap % in an unhealthy unprotected QB? Think Texas had to rethink plans with their great young QB?

I tend to think the defense can field younger inexperienced players (talented recent drafted players) & perform well enough to win in the NFL sprinkled in with some vets.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't think so and I liked Demby coming out....Seems that his legs are thin and he's not proportioned well and struggles to get to the second level because of it.

@BonifayRam felt Demby graded well, I thought he struggled in pass protection and although McVay and Kromer said good things about Demby, I would ask Goff. IMHO, the Rams will be making a few moves next year by drafting a RG very early (Tommy Kraemer Notre Dame) and then either sign a LG or give David Edwards at chance as Noteboom slides to LT in 2020.
@den-the-coach I was pleasantly surprised after going back to the Saints game & reviewing Demby's overall performance & reframing from centering in on those two big events involving Demby blocks. I was of the opinion when the preseason concluded that Jamil Demby did not deserve to be on the 53/MR......:oops:I was wrong:doh:. I am not saying that Demby has a future as our starting RG either but as our top reserve RG???? Goff will fair well if Demby continues to get better. A healthy Blythe is still a better RG.

I would suggest anyone who can & has the ability to stop the video & go to the next frame in HD ......you will not be so negative on Demby on his FIRST NFL regular season OL play this past Sunday.

The real OL problems with the OL on Sunday was ongoing just right of Demby! Check it out!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand why Blythe is specifically and continually referred to as having a bad game in the superbowl. The whole offense had a bad day!

Actually the TEs, Reynolds and Woods played well. Parts of the OL may have played well. Gurley played pretty decent.

Only bad in the Super Bowl, for sure, was Cooks/Blythe/Sullivan/Goff - but Sully isn't here anymore.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
The guy he was going up against was Camron Jordan and let's not forget he is an all pro type player

Young motivated Miles Garrett wants to be DPOY and will be another challenge to Havenstein in Cleveland. We will need to give help again to Havenstein while trying to cover up our hole at ORG. Kromer has his work cut out for him. Please do more than sub Demby. I'm crossing my fingers we move Edwards to active and let him work with the starters. JMO

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Actually the TEs, Reynolds and Woods played well. Parts of the OL may have played well. Gurley played pretty decent.

Only bad in the Super Bowl, for sure, was Cooks/Blythe/Sullivan/Goff - but Sully isn't here anymore.

Sully had a complete meltdown in the SB and we had to move on. So glad we had a red shirt year and our 2nd year with NO injuries on the OL is almost impossible in the NFL. Don't want to start up any bad memories of our SB and how and who had the biggest breakdown. Am very gratefull Brian Allen got to be mentored as much as he was and even lived with Sully and wouldn't be our starter now without all he absorbed from Sully. It was just Sully's time as the long season just wore him down and we had no plan or person to replace him with. I worry about Big Whit and notice he is having his moments too this year already. We are Blessed we can let him have as much time off as he tries to play almost 4 decades in the NFL. Sad we had to move on from Saffold but it was a money thing with so many players needing to get paid. I'm glad Noteboom has worked out as well at OLG and the plan is to replace Big Whit but we see with the scare of Blthe being out for an extended period shows us how few players we have on a team with such HIGH expectations.

I'd like to see Edwards myself but think the team is gonna risk going with Demby. Guess I'll just have to get on the island by myself who wants Edwards taken out of redshirt mode & playing offensive right guard. It's above my paygrade and being a past offensive lineman. This will be all on Kromer and he will get all the blame. Garrett for the Browns has no technique but uses all muscle and is stacking up his sacks but wants to be the next best defensive end in the NFL. Whit & Havenstein will both struggle with this young muscled up manchild. They have good film to prepare and not take browns litely. Aaron Donald will Hunt against them and baker Mayfield must be contained and they will call everything a personal foul hitting that little dude. As the new NFL MUST protect it's new young talent.We have Baker & Kyler and our small qb for the shecocks also who the refs are protecting. I personally hate it and want Jared to work his upper body twice as much as his ars look like twizlers. Just my opinion. No haters please. This OL injury brought NFL reality too close to home this season.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH

The pats attacked Sully and the middle of the O-line as they got pressure in goff's face and forced him to make his decisions faster. this mixed with delayed defensive changes to confuse Goff were a major contribution.Pats #71 nose tackle is a man child and their massive linebacker that is one of the NFL's best and kinda reminds me of the NFL Network patriots past linebackers and is so big. We will have to improve to match them when we play them again. I know many teams have a great front middle. The Eagles lost 2 or3 of their best linemen as one was an O-lineman. Robinson who was a bust for us in the draft is a walking joke for the Browns and Dante is Drooling so bad I am getting wet here in Florida. I'd rather have Demby starting then Robinson that now plays for the Browns. I wouldn't take him free.

So many injuries league wide from this past Sunday & now Monday. We have been so Blessed with Weddle and every player that is able to get therapy and treatment like Brockers and his shoulder & now Blythe escaped a knee and high ankle? That's Blessed. LOVED watching Cooper Kupp & so glad Higbee can play & we can watch him with his chest/lung injury and have Everett to fill in for him.

The whiner and shehag love by the media is making me sick and let's see the hawks play a desperate taints team this Sunday. No McCaffery or Kamara this Sunday Night. We can get our Johnson/ Chubb on. No injuries RAMS. Let's go 3-0. Ravens and Chiefs will be interesting to see who in the AFC is for real early. We have to travel to a few tough teams this season. First things first.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
We would all feel better if we had backups that were experienced but the reality is this;

Because of the collective bargaining agreement we cannot afford to pay veterans because vet minimum is WAY more expensive than paying a 5th or 6th round draft pick.

It's just the reality of the economics of the collective bargaining agreement.

The way the new NFL works is you have to cut those expensive veterans, (maybe even before their time is up) and sign more draft picks and give them the reps to get them ready to replace veterans or players whose contracts expire

There are starting players falling out of favor with their teams all the time... We got Dante Fowler in a similar manner...teams have gotten starting players just this season in a similar manner... I'm just hoping that if the right guy becomes available..and we can afford the low risk / high reward type of transaction.... that we can solidify our interior O-line depth in that way..

but if not... hopefully Blythe is healthy soon, and our depth and young talent continue to develop..

Aaron Kromer has been just masterful for us these last few years developing these young players

fearsomefour

Legend
From his rookie year Havenstien has been a mainstay at RT. In my mind there's something that hasn't been revealed on him injury wise. He's a player I never have a concern about.
He has always had issues with speed rushers.
Week one he lunged out, horrible technique, the rusher slipped him and got the sack.
Is there something specific you are seeing that makes you think he is injured?

RamWoodie

Legend
He has always had issues with speed rushers.
Week one he lunged out, horrible technique, the rusher slipped him and got the sack.
Is there something specific you are seeing that makes you think he is injured?
No. But check his stats since his rookie year. Havenstien probably has allowed the lears amount of sacks as anyone on the OLine.

Horrible??? Nah...I disagree wholeheartedly bro. PFF ranked him the 10th best OLiner of 2018!!!

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well if you remember Blythe got the go ahead because of Browns injury at RG. No one thought Blythe would outplay Brown at that point. But he did and the rest is history. Lets see how Demby does in the next couple of weeks. We'll know a lot more by mid week from the Rams coaching staff. if we see someone come up from the PS, a trade, or a UDFA signing then we can start worrying.
Well... not to get ticky tack but Blythe took over due to Brown's suspension - not injury. The fact that Blythe held the job should speak higher of Austin's abilities than if he took over due to injury. He essentially took the position from a healthy Jamon Brown.

Let's just hope that if Blythe is out for any appreciable amount of time, that Demby steps up and plays at a starting level.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Young motivated Miles Garrett wants to be DPOY and will be another challenge to Havenstein in Cleveland. We will need to give help again to Havenstein while trying to cover up our hole at ORG. Kromer has his work cut out for him. Please do more than sub Demby. I'm crossing my fingers we move Edwards to active and let him work with the starters. JMO

Dude ?? I think your lost ?? Yeah - Blythe is list,but Mcvay already gave Demby Praise for his work last week. As Bonify said he was wrong as was I. I’m not a Blythe or a Demby fan. Looking at Demby he went into his first series weak at point of attack. Caused the fumble for TD that was blown dead.
Garret will go up against Whitworthnif Monday Night against the JETS was any indication ??? Jordan is a stud for sure & Big Joe has always had trouble against his type of DE.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Dude ?? I think your lost ?? Yeah - Blythe is list,but Mcvay already gave Demby Praise for his work last week. As Bonify said he was wrong as was I. I’m not a Blythe or a Demby fan. Looking at Demby he went into his first series weak at point of attack. Caused the fumble for TD that was blown dead.
Garret will go up against Whitworthnif Monday Night against the JETS was any indication ??? Jordan is a stud for sure & Big Joe has always had trouble against his type of DE.

Dude?? Garrett rushes from BOTH sides he like AD moves around. Watch some game film as he destroyed both Jet OT's I also have long been on record as many on other RAM boards who have done a play by play breakdown of every play Demby played. Yes sometimes someone can disagree with McVay who has proven not to be perfect. Especially in RZ and leave it to Kromer who knows Demby is a smart person which fits a NcVay team but effort level from Demby is a 1 on a 1-10 scale. We will see if and wht happen against browns. Proof is on film that Demby sucks from PS and into the game past his play allowing Goff to get hit and Allen has some blame on that one play also. Demby can only be covered up in a ZBscheme where our offense is going so much east and west and not a power run blocking system as Demby has no punch power and uses his fat ass more than his shoulders. He has NO left shoulder. Watch some film. Merlin agrees with what I've seen and we have our fingers crossed. We need Blythe back sooner than later. Cam Jordan caused 3 holding penalties against havenstein and for you to think Brown coaches will see that and not rush Garrett from Havensteins side? Most DE's can rush from more than one side. Especially when as young as Garrett.

Whit has had a few plays he'd like to have back in just these first 2 games. He is wrestling with father time and we are Blessed to have him. Not having Saffold this year is a major deal. We had a chance to red shirt 2 players and so far so good. It's a long season and Blythe was already the weakest link of our starting five. People are allowed to disagree will the ultra genius McVay who is having trouble play calling and using our players in RZ offense to get the points needed. It's not a new thing either. Love coach to death. Hope Kromer can practice Demby's ass off this week along with film study we may get a better effort in Cleveland. Many other longterm knowledgeable posters on other boards have written detailed posts with all 22 pictures on the piss poor effort Demby gave. I'm not lost nor want any trouble in going against our bright positive HC. I know it's sacrilege to ever disagree with them. McVays positive comments were made before he had a chance to watch every play played by our 6th man. His comments came from what he was told by Kromer who watched from sidelines or pressbox. My OL coach was always in the press box.

No I'm not lost. I just want the best for the RAMS and know who we have access too. I'll just leave it there. I've posted enough about this topic.

RamWoodie

Legend
This talk as if Hav should have shut Jordan down is kinda nonsensical. The guy is a TOP RUSHER. Hav more than held his own against the guy. 3 penalties holding? I'll take that rather than have Goff injured.

Garrett's gonna be a tough matchup too. I'm gonna pay particular attention to it.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
This talk as if Hav should have shut Jordan down is kinda nonsensical. The guy is a TOP RUSHER. Hav more than held his own against the guy. 3 penalties holding? I'll take that rather than have Goff injured.

Garrett's gonna be a tough matchup too. I'm gonna pay particular attention to it.

Please show me who said Havenstein should have shut down Cam Jordan as a league Pro Bowler almost every year? We can't have any extended drives against our Championship rival if we have 3 holding calls. The Saints had 5 holding calls as one called back a fumble return and Goff took many hits to the head with not a flag in sight. Was just curious to find "This talk" . You mentioned. The refs are looking for a specific move from OL and it's called the Lobster as it's a very popular technique of hold that the NFL is trying to stop and is calling it everytime. Fans are tired of the constant flags.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Dude?? Garrett rushes from BOTH sides he like AD moves around. Watch some game film as he destroyed both Jet OT's I also have long been on record as many on other RAM boards who have done a play by play breakdown of every play Demby played. Yes sometimes someone can disagree with McVay who has proven not to be perfect. Especially in RZ and leave it to Kromer who knows Demby is a smart person which fits a NcVay team but effort level from Demby is a 1 on a 1-10 scale. We will see if and wht happen against browns. Proof is on film that Demby sucks from PS and into the game past his play allowing Goff to get hit and Allen has some blame on that one play also. Demby can only be covered up in a ZBscheme where our offense is going so much east and west and not a power run blocking system as Demby has no punch power and uses his fat ass more than his shoulders. He has NO left shoulder. Watch some film. Merlin agrees with what I've seen and we have our fingers crossed. We need Blythe back sooner than later. Cam Jordan caused 3 holding penalties against havenstein and for you to think Brown coaches will see that and not rush Garrett from Havensteins side? Most DE's can rush from more than one side. Especially when as young as Garrett.

Whit has had a few plays he'd like to have back in just these first 2 games. He is wrestling with father time and we are Blessed to have him. Not having Saffold this year is a major deal. We had a chance to red shirt 2 players and so far so good. It's a long season and Blythe was already the weakest link of our starting five. People are allowed to disagree will the ultra genius McVay who is having trouble play calling and using our players in RZ offense to get the points needed. It's not a new thing either. Love coach to death. Hope Kromer can practice Demby's ass off this week along with film study we may get a better effort in Cleveland. Many other longterm knowledgeable posters on other boards have written detailed posts with all 22 pictures on the piss poor effort Demby gave. I'm not lost nor want any trouble in going against our bright positive HC. I know it's sacrilege to ever disagree with them. McVays positive comments were made before he had a chance to watch every play played by our 6th man. His comments came from what he was told by Kromer who watched from sidelines or pressbox. My OL coach was always in the press box.

No I'm not lost. I just want the best for the RAMS and know who we have access too. I'll just leave it there. I've posted enough about this topic.

That’s a lot to process. I’ll quote on this later. I’m no film guru fully. Just watched last weeks Jets game as well as The Rams.

Mcvay made me scratch my head a few times last week. He is a head of a coach & leader. His teams play hard & smart. Offensive Genius I’ve always questioned.
Boy Wonder is more like it !!! He is a free thinker & a winner. I’ve also seen him talk well about a play & then the next thing you know they are traded or released.
Wade is more true to his word. Mcvay I question even with the RB play last season.
Malcom Brown is a all purpose back that can help out blocking & schemings .
Good post reply. We will see. Yes Demby is a question mark for sure. He is playing better than I thought though & should improve Immensely immensely

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
Dude got carted off the field for a low ankle sprain