Backup QB Options the Rams Have To Consider after Sean Mannion's Preseason Debacle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB would you grab?

• Colt McCoy

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Kyle Sloter

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Robert Griffin III

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 17 22.4%

• Total voters

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Siemian would have been a nice backup. He's proven he can play well and win in the NFL. I'm not sure Mannion can at this point. I hope I'm wrong, because I don't think anyone of Siemian's caliber will be available.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now I do think Griffin has a good arm good passing ability, but when you're so lacking in other areas it's just not enough.

This can be overvalued, but sometimes it's good to have a backup whose skillset is different than the starter. They will have game planned for Goff's strengths, and if Goff gets knocked out just for part of a game RGIII might be able to take them by surprise. Not a good long-term starter, but there likely isn't one available on the roster or likely to be available at the end of TC. So a change of pace, if affordable, might be a good option.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
One thing's for sure: McVay has enough history with RG3 to be able to make the best decision on that for us.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wonder how much having a backup QB win the superbowl has shifted everyone's perspective.

Foles could be a starter on half of the teams in the NFL.

In the right situation he is above average and frankly he is in a perfect situation because it's not likely Wentz finished the season on the field.

He played well in the playoffs. Actually REALLY well.

If he had been a FA this year and gone to the market he'd have copped a nice 24MIL a year deal I bet. At least 10 teams would have called his agent.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Amazing Rams had Foles and Keenum as backups. Not a ringing endorsement for Fisher as how they played for the Rams vs how they played last year.

Ram65

Legend
Let's see what Mannion does this week. I do like RGIII having running ability and McVay connection.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder how much having a backup QB win the superbowl has shifted everyone's perspective.
I don't think last year has any effect on this year. How many former pro bowl QB's are out there looking to hold a clip board while still in their prime? Perfect guy at the perfect time for Philly

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My boy down in Miami....
View attachment 25765
Anyone who thought Fales was not a real contender for the back-up job should think again. Fales looked pretty good during his time on Thursday. He and Brock Osweiler rotated series throughout the game and Fales came away looking a lot better.
He finished the night 8 of 11 for 115 yards. He showed good vision and didn’t lock on to receivers but did a good job of scanning the field and creating time in the pocket. He was aided by really good line play as well as great running by Sinorise Perry.

Fales led the team to two field goals and a touchdown scoring on all of his series.
https://phinphanatic.com/2018/08/10/miami-dolphins-need-shuffle-quarterback-depth-chart/
The Fales bus got a flat tire last night while Petty keeps impressing. One to watch!
Or not...

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Speaking of Oregon St. Journey men ! Is Anderson still in the league ?

Mannion & Cooks bought have Team records.

In defense of Sean Mannion. He was put in a tough situation, plus add that he is a new father at a bad time of his career. His focus has not been where it was suppose to be.

I've been wondering how much that has to be in the back of his mind.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Stand back and let the cream separate itself. One, or two, or three, will become available, probably, because of politics, or draft position, more than anything.
Agreed. Plenty of options out there. Fales, RG III, and McGough may only go PS.
View attachment 25849

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I expect the Rams to go with 3 qbs this year. If a vet who McVay thinks is an upgrade, great. Might take a month or more to get him fully up to speed, but better than not having that upgrade. If a rookie that McVay may have wanted but got drafted first, cool Since I expect the Rams to draft somebody in 2019, it might save them a draft pick.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Mark Sanchez, because we need a useful token Mexican in the QB room that can help sell tickets for the Mexico City game (bye bye, Perez).

Yeah, that 4 game suspension sucks, but if I got it right, it'll bring down his cap hit below the third year vet min, assuming he signs a vet min.

Playoff experience, plus playoff road wins, local kid, maybe he has something left in the tank at 31-32 years old to be 3d string . . . or not.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've been wondering how much that has to be in the back of his mind.

He did play much better this week. Missing a couple days after having his first born has to take a toll & be a little stress full. Then again there is every day life.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd keep an eye on things in Pittsburgh. I'd be very interested in Landry Jones or Josh Dobbs. One of the two has to shake loose.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Matt Moore i think would be a good get for 1 year, then draft a guy

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd keep an eye on things in Pittsburgh. I'd be very interested in Landry Jones or Josh Dobbs. One of the two has to shake loose.

Dobbs yes, Jones no way, he's been awful IMHO when given the opportunity. In fact, I'm always wondering how he keeps making the team because he's never looked good and I always felt he was JAG who seemed to be a backup, but did nothing to prove himself.

Posting that I can't see the Steelers going with Dobbs & Rudolph over he veteran Jones, who's a great confident for Big Ben. Dobbs would be intriguing IMHO.

Last edited: