Backup QB Options the Rams Have To Consider after Sean Mannion's Preseason Debacle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB would you grab?

• Colt McCoy

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Kyle Sloter

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Robert Griffin III

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 17 22.4%

• Total voters

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With only $2.89 mil in cap space for our Rams, I do not see how it could work.

Rework Barron's contract, convert most of this year's salary (down to the minimum) to signing bonus. I don't recommend that, but that would be one way to make it work.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I trust McVay to sort this out.

I'd feel better if Bridgewater were here, but... McVay knows best.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I concur, however, would love RG3 just for the irony.

RG3 would likely be cheaper in trade, would have most of his salary paid by cutting either Mannion or Allen, and would be good to cover for a short-term injury, though not as good for a major injury where Goff would be out for a long time. But such an injury would likely knock the Rams from Super Bowl contention, so I'm not sure the extra resources for Bridgewater would be worth it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing I'd like to note, that although Goff looks like a reed that can be easily broken in half...he seems to be pretty durable after all. I think the back up QB is more of a what-if conversation. I think Goff will be fine in 2018.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
he sems to be pretty durable after all.I think the back up QB is more of a what-if conversation. I think Goff will be fine in 2018.

tenor.gif

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing I'd like to note, that although Goff looks like a reed that can be easily broken in half...he seems to be pretty durable after all. I think the back up QB is more of a what-if conversation. I think Goff will be fine in 2018.

This is the NFL. You always want to have depth at every position. The problem is that McVay is trying to rebuild the team to fit what he and Wade want, so there hasn't really been time to get a backup QB for him to develop. I suspect they'll use one of their 3rds this year to do that, and probably also sign a vet for a year. Backup QB is that important, even if you hope never to use him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the NFL. You always want to have depth at every position. The problem is that McVay is trying to rebuild the team to fit what he and Wade want, so there hasn't really been time to get a backup QB for him to develop. I suspect they'll use one of their 3rds this year to do that, and probably also sign a vet for a year. Backup QB is that important, even if you hope never to use him.
Did I say differently?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. Of course, you didn't say that, either. When did it stop being allowed to expand on comments to include more than the initial comment?
Because it seemed with the "This is the NFL." comment as though I didn't know that and you were schooling me somehow. That's how you came off.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Because he was so skinny when he came out of Cal and susceptible to being destroyed when sacked? You never thought that?
I was referring to you brazenly announcing to the universe that you think he's durable. That's insane. You're being for bad things to happen.

As far as thinking he was small and fragile, no I didn't. I'm a big believer in the old 'Willow and Oak Tree' analogy. Plus, I don't think most QB injuries happen due to the physical impact of hits alone. I don't have data to back that up, but I'd venture to guess that they come from the placement of the hit, or their position when hit causing install twisting/bending. I've never seen or heard of a QB getting hit so hard that he was injured. More like helmet smashed a hand, leg twisted funny, awkward landing solely on one body part (like a shoulder), or whatever. None of that is changed by an extra 10-20 pounds. JaMarcus Russell might have had case for resisting something like that because he was too big to really knock over cleanly alone, but still just as susceptible to twisting in weird positions as everyone else.

Besides, isn't the big QB hurt... Again?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was referring to you brazenly announcing to the universe that you think he's durable. That's insane. You're being for bad things to happen.

As far as thinking he was small and fragile, no I didn't. I'm a big believer in the old 'Willow and Oak Tree' analogy. Plus, I don't think most QB injuries happen due to the physical impact of hits alone. I don't have data to back that up, but I'd venture to guess that they come from the placement of the hit, or their position when hit causing install twisting/bending. I've never seen or heard of a QB getting hit so hard that he was injured. More like helmet smashed a hand, leg twisted funny, awkward landing solely on one body part (like a shoulder), or whatever. None of that is changed by an extra 10-20 pounds. JaMarcus Russell might have had case for resisting something like that because he was too big to really knock over cleanly alone, but still just as susceptible to twisting in weird positions as everyone else.

Besides, isn't the big QB hurt... Again?
Well, we disagree. And no, I'm not insane. Mom had me tested.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I’d be concerned that we’d just have a QB that would be knocked out after a game or so. Sorry but I just don’t trust Teddy as someone who will either be able to stay healthy OR, honestly win many games. I’ve never been high on him even before the injuries.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d be concerned that we’d just have a QB that would be knocked out after a game or so. Sorry but I just don’t trust Teddy as someone who will either be able to stay healthy OR, honestly win many games. I’ve never been high on him even before the injuries.

Which injuries? He had the catastrophic knee injury, which he seems to be recovered from. In his rookie season he played all year once he made it into the lineup. The next year he started 16 games. It took a while to recover from the knee injury, but since it nearly required amputation, that's not a shock. What am I missing?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wasn't questioning your opinion at all @LoyalRam or that you're just going off reports. What I was implying was that McVay must see something in him to keep him around, he's been rather ruthless in the past with Fisher selections.

After all, I've also seen Goff play stinkers... but he turned out ok ;)

Mansion has been around longer than Goff and hasn't shown improvement.

A lot of teams are carrying three right now. Someone decent may get cut loosed at end of camp.

It's too late to bring anyone new in with experience stations that he could start, if needed this year.

I don't think trust is the issue. McVay simply hasn't been able to address the position. Year one he was fixing the offense. Year two Snead fixed the defense, and the draft added valuable OLine depth, and defense depth. They weren't spending a third or fourth round pick on a backup. But, if he had no concerns about Mannion, then why bring Allen in?

It will be interesting to see if they draft a QB next year. Or maybe they go with Allen and continue teaching Perez. With as bad as Mannion has looked, he may not get any offers and just stick around.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I know he is playing with the second string, but Mannion looks bad. He has been in the league for three years. His passes don't look very accurate. It's not like he hasn't practiced with these players. Plus they are second string. They aren't third string. Second stringers often get playing time. They aren't all bubble players.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Which injuries? He had the catastrophic knee injury, which he seems to be recovered from. In his rookie season he played all year once he made it into the lineup. The next year he started 16 games. It took a while to recover from the knee injury, but since it nearly required amputation, that's not a shock. What am I missing?
Knee, concussion, ankle, wrist.

My concern is his knees and potential concussion issues. I’ve always thought he took a lot of unnecessary hits - and not very well.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I don't think the Rams keep three QBs on the roster with as many LBs that will probably be kept on the roster. My curiosity is peaked by Perez not seeing the field yet. Do the Rams see something in the kid that they don't want anybody else to see? Is he not quite ready but the Rams don't plan on keeping three QBs on the roster and plan on stashing him on the PS? Mannion or Allen is our backup this year. The other one is getting released. I'm not going to wring my hands over a situation that hasn't reared it's ugly head yet anyways.