Backup QB Options the Rams Have To Consider after Sean Mannion's Preseason Debacle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB would you grab?

• Colt McCoy

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Kyle Sloter

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Robert Griffin III

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 17 22.4%

• Total voters

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams would have to be nuts to brig Kaperdink in. TMZ, Paperazzi, RuPaul and every other nutjob reporter would turn Rams camp into a three ring circus.
They'll be asking every Ram player " are you going to knell for the anthem? Why? Why not?

Rams want distraction, sign Kaperdink.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
For me, no stipulations. It's LA. His protest probably helps the Rams there. :LOL:
Really man? I think the pending media coverage and circus would hurt us more than anything with all the distraction etc. I guess there would be a certain level of it regardless anyways with his singing I suppose. still can't believe I typed picking him up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really man? I think the pending media coverage and circus would hurt us more than anything with all the distraction etc. I guess there would be a certain level of it regardless anyways with his singing I suppose. still can't believe I typed picking him up.

I doubt it. And it might even attract us new fans. There's quite a history with the LAPD (plus, it's California).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No to RGMe. I'd like a guy like Moore. A veteran that could pick things up faster. I expect Mannion to play better next game, but never viewed him as a starter, which is what he would be if Goff is injured. Snead best get to studying QBs for next year. I think it's too late to find a good back up this season. I was hoping the Rams could have drafted Luke Falk.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No to RGMe. I'd like a guy like Moore. A veteran that could pick things up faster. I expect Mannion to play better next game, but never viewed him as a starter, which is what he would be if Goff is injured. Snead best get to studying QBs for next year. I think it's too late to find a good back up this season. I was hoping the Rams could have drafted Luke Falk.

Falk is reportedly struggling due to a lack of arm talent (namely, arm strength). Then again, the guy I liked, Logan Woodside, can't even get on the field. :LOL:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Stand back and let the cream separate itself. One, or two, or three, will become available, probably, because of politics, or draft position, more than anything.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
These names people are throwing around are depressing. I'd honestly just as soon try Hekker. It'd be fun.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Do we really think that Mannion IS as bad as the reports state? To me it sounds like there was some serious vanilla on the playing field from the Rams, unlike Baltimore. I trust McVay's opinion here, he knows what he's got in the players (including the depth guys) - he did ok last year ;)

I'd like to see Mannion run out again, but tbh I'd also like to see Perez on the field, it could be fun ;)

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Good grief, let’s wait and see how he plays in the next one before we hit the panic button.

I’m sure if is actually as bad as he looked (2’s vs 1’s) last week, McVay would have launched him already.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
you know, Dickie V will be wearing red and doing the Chiefs Chant!

Chiefs have always been my second favorite team (if there is such a thing), but needed to change it up a bit and I have the same Ram outfit so away we go, but back by popular demand.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cardale, Jones, and Geno Smith are also in tough #2 battles. I saw good things from both, but IMO, I like Cardale more as a teammate..

I'd stay away from both, Smith proved a failure in New York both with the Jets & Giants and Jones although has talent from the neck up is worth a dime.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Fun little column...

By definition, a pre-season game can’t be a debacle.

But, what would a game be without fan overreaction?

Carry on!

fearsomefour

Legend
Fun little column...

By definition, a pre-season game can’t be a debacle.

But, what would a game be without fan overreaction?

Carry on!
Agreed.
Mannion looked bad, but, playing the first action of the year with back up or rookies guys....we don't know how many incompletions are not on him.
The drop by Hemingway was obvious but who knows how many routes the receivers blew.
Maybe none, maybe a bunch.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Do we really think that Mannion IS as bad as the reports state? To me it sounds like there was some serious vanilla on the playing field from the Rams, unlike Baltimore. I trust McVay's opinion here, he knows what he's got in the players (including the depth guys) - he did ok last year ;)

I'd like to see Mannion run out again, but tbh I'd also like to see Perez on the field, it could be fun ;)
Mannion has never looked good in any game, preseason or regular season, in the NFL. The reports on him have always been bad, and we're only fooling ourselves if we think that he is suddenly going to get better.

Do you really want Mannion to be the Rams starting QB if Goff went down with an injury? No we need a decent backup. Could Brandon Allen be that guy? We don't know, and apparently McVay is not convinced of that, other wise Mannion wouldn't have been starting for the first half of the Baltimore game.

Obviously we need to get a quality back up for Goff, one with NFL experience.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Mannion has never looked good in any game, preseason or regular season, in the NFL. The reports on him have always been bad, and we're only fooling ourselves if we think that he is suddenly going to get better.

Do you really want Mannion to be the Rams starting QB if Goff went down with an injury? No we need a decent backup. Could Brandon Allen be that guy? We don't know, and apparently McVay is not convinced of that, other wise Mannion wouldn't have been starting for the first half of the Baltimore game.

Obviously we need to get a quality back up for Goff, one with NFL experience.

I hear what you're saying, I really do, but everyone seems to expect us to get a starting quality QB and just sit him behind Goff, almost willing Goff to go down with a season ending injury and for the underdog QB to do a #13 and take us to the SB. I for one hope that Goff DOESN'T get injured.

Elite depth at key positions like QB, LT, RB etc don't just happen - look at what happened to Green Bay when ARod went down - if you lose your keystone playmaker (QB) you can't expect a guy that's been sitting on a bench just step in and beat teams, thats when the rest f the team come into play. I recon if you stick ANY of the QBs on our roster right now behind our starting O-Line with Gurley, Cooks, Woods and Kupp, then they will make plays AND hopefully our ST and D step up and secure a win.

I think some guys keep thinking that there's a Kurt Warner stashed away somewhere - that type of thing only happens once in a lifetime BUT look at the supporting cast he had: Faulk, Bruce, Holt, Pace etc... that's not too shabby now is it?

Please guys, this (seemingly) panic needs to stop...

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I hear what you're saying, I really do, but everyone seems to expect us to get a starting quality QB and just sit him behind Goff, almost willing Goff to go down with a season ending injury and for the underdog QB to do a #13 and take us to the SB. I for one hope that Goff DOESN'T get injured.

Elite depth at key positions like QB, LT, RB etc don't just happen - look at what happened to Green Bay when ARod went down - if you lose your keystone playmaker (QB) you can't expect a guy that's been sitting on a bench just step in and beat teams, thats when the rest f the team come into play. I recon if you stick ANY of the QBs on our roster right now behind our starting O-Line with Gurley, Cooks, Woods and Kupp, then they will make plays AND hopefully our ST and D step up and secure a win.

I think some guys keep thinking that there's a Kurt Warner stashed away somewhere - that type of thing only happens once in a lifetime BUT look at the supporting cast he had: Faulk, Bruce, Holt, Pace etc... that's not too shabby now is it?

Please guys, this (seemingly) panic needs to stop...
But Roman Gabriel was a back up for 3 years.:cool:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good God not David Fales again? I get the man crush and his career passing percentage is 64.6% with one TD and one interception for the 28 year old out of San Jose State.
Martz saw something in Adam Gase. Gase sees something in Fales. Had him in Chicago, brought him in again in Miami. Sometimes a 28 year old QB just needs a chance. Maybe Tannehill gets rolled up on in preseason and he leads the most prolific NFL offense in modern history to a Super Bowl.
It could happen.
giphy.gif