Back up offense lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Kromer is a free thinker. He isn’t afraid to think outside the box or make a move to change things up.

That being said , I’m sure he has a game plan , and will challenge each player.
Very hard to tell this early. We could see our two backup tackles being the rookies Notebook and Demby. We could keep more there than last year with that youth as an insurance policy. We might see Blythe and another versatile iol you in the two rookies and run with 10. Or it could be Blythe and the three rookies if they impress.

Oldschool, I don’t see it as too early to tell. Jamil Demby ,started as mopracticing the guard position at this time.

Demby is really the number one option. He is like a mini-me of Roger Saffold. He is being placed on both the right & left side of the ball.

Allen is definitely being placed at center.

Josh Noteboom back up swing tackle

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams rookie Brian Allen compares playing O-line to wrestling

By: Cameron DaSilva

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...rams-brian-allen-rookie-draft-pick-wrestling/

With John Sullivan being 32 years old and not the most durable player in the world, the Los Angeles Rams saw a clear need at center this offseason. They addressed it by drafting Brian Allen out of Michigan State in the fourth round, giving the offensive line some much-needed depth.

Like fellow draftee Joseph Noteboom, Allen won’t be asked to start right away. He’ll likely only see the field if there’s an injury to one of the interior linemen, but the Rams certainly hope that doesn’t happen. When he does finally get the call, he’ll use his past experience of being a wrestler to his advantage. After all, some of offensive line play is about one-on-one matchups with opposing defenders.

“On a wrestling mat it’s one on one, so you have that mentality that it’s kind of you versus them. And people who haven’t played individual sports like that haven’t kind of understood the successes and failures that come with that,” Allen said, via the team’s site. “So, any wrestler has that mentality that they can’t lose or it’s on them. Even though it’s a team sport and I approach it as a team sport, you still have the individual battle in the back of your mind.”

The only difference with football is that his lapses and mistakes do impact other people, not just himself.

“If I’m screwing up not only am I going to be mad at myself, but it’s going to affect the team,” Allen added. “I just take pride in trying to win my individual battles and I think that’s what comes from the wrestling.” In high school, Allen was a dominant wrestler. He turned in a perfect 48-0 record in 2013 at Hinsdale Central high school in Illinois, becoming the first wrestler in school history to win four state medals.

When you talk about Whitemore is concerned heading into 2019 ? He will play out his contract & probably retire. Sullivan might flat out lose his job next season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Very hard to tell this early. We could see our two backup tackles being the rookies Notebook and Demby. We could keep more there than last year with that youth as an insurance policy. We might see Blythe and another versatile iol you in the two rookies and run with 10. Or it could be Blythe and the three rookies if they impress.
So true OTA's then TC then Pre season there is much ground to cover here before the final season master roster is made. I sure see both Boom @ LT & Demby @ RT projected future OT's at this time..sure will not be Williams or Lucas. The 2019 draft will bring & insert additional OL prospects too.

With the pending 3 UFA departures & the two greybeards (Andrew dreaming of retirement after a SB win to conclude the 2018 season) there is a very big need to prep the groundwork & get ready now for the future crop of Kromer starting OL'ers. Might see 11 OL'ers on this master roster & 2 to 3 OL'ers on the PS too.

When you talk about Whitemore is concerned heading into 2019 ? He will play out his contract & probably retire. Sullivan might flat out lose his job next season.
When your the oldest starting left tackle in the NFL nothing is ever certain. This post demands such a high degree of mental & physical strength each & every play. When your over 6-7 in height & carrying around 335 lbs.... those knees hurt all the time.

My thoughts here on how much longer our starting OC will play is much more positive than with our starting LT. #1 John is 4 yrs younger than Andrew. Plus John basically had the 2015 & 2016 NFL season off. With only one start during that time. OC's have a proven tract record of playing longer than the other four OL positions. John just earned himself a 5 1/2 million pay increase this season & can earn up to $2 million in per game in bonuses in 2018 and $1.5 million in 2019. So I see no reason for John to fade away here just because the Rams finally drafted a center who played his college ball in an NFL offense. Sure looks like John is having a blast & simply loves :love: playing in LA for McVay & Kromer.:bueller:.

Appears the Rams are well fortified @ OC presently with Sullivan- Blythe- Neary- Allen. The last three all have experience playing both OG posts too.Rams still listing Eldrenkamp @ OC too. Blythe even started a gm for the Colts @ RT. I do think we will see Eldrenkamp & Jeremiah Kolone getting reps @ LG. Kolone bears watching he is advanced in pass protection very unusual for a rookie.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting. So you don’t like Lucas at all ?

Right now I don’t see Demby playing tackle at all. Will see soon, but as far I’ve seen it has not happened.

Ref. Demby Demby has not been asked to play anything other than left Tackle in college. Four-year starter at left tackle for the Black Bears, but @ the moment he is sure to move inside for the Rams to get ready for possible starting vacancies @ both OG posts in 2019 season. Demby stands a very good chance to replace Saffold in 2019.

Lucas is a fair back up right OT nothing more he will get you by in an emergency. If your a NFL OL coach you don't build around him & you don't plan for him to be your top reserve RT. Lucas is a true WWC!

Rams let Lucas depart the Rams team when the 2017 season concluded for 2018 free agency to seek his price on the open market. Lucas did just that & found no takers & returned back to LA @ the vet minimum.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
EldrenkampI believe will get cut.
Really? Camps gonna be fun.
2 to 3 inches is going make that much of a difference?
Yes, it really does....I have a couple jokes about this too...
Guys can improve if course but Eldrenkamp looked overmatched nearly every time we saw him last year. Not unusual for rookies of course.
I saw this as well....But I think he's a true mauler...and without that he'll struggle...as most have said...if he's bigger and stronger in 2018...watch out.
I don’t see Allen as a guard at all. I think he will be groomed to take over at center for Sullivan in 2020.
Me either...This Allen is this...Allen is that...very confusing.
When I watch Brian Allen perform in college he reminds me of 8 time all pro great Ed White who played in 4 SB's who was only 6-1 & 270 lbs when he was drafted. The center position is well covered in 2018. I think we have five centers on this Ram team currently. Yes Allen is sure to get OC action but we will see him a lot @ both OG post in TC & Pre season.
Now....
You just spoke on how Blythe is the smallest center in the NFL...6'2....295 or whatever....and Allen is virtually the same size...what makes you believe Allen can play OG...or even be and effective OC?
I project that rookies Allen & Kolone along with first season Eldrenkamp will get the major time @ both OG posts.
hmmmm....Allen...Kolone (local Cali guy huh?)...or Eldrenkamp???

I'm going Eldrenkamp for $50 Boni;)
2.Brian Allen was brought in to play center. He will be the back up center & even push John Sullivan.(Austin Blythe??) This guy was The Rams 2nd pick for a reason.His mind set is another Big 10 guy, that is going to make it in the NFL.
I'd agree....:yess:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
So true OTA's then TC then Pre season there is much ground to cover here before the final season master roster is made. I sure see both Boom @ LT & Demby @ RT projected future OT's at this time..sure will not be Williams or Lucas. The 2019 draft will bring & insert additional OL prospects too.

With the pending 3 UFA departures & the two greybeards (Andrew dreaming of retirement after a SB win to conclude the 2018 season) there is a very big need to prep the groundwork & get ready now for the future crop of Kromer starting OL'ers. Might see 11 OL'ers on this master roster & 2 to 3 OL'ers on the PS too.

When your the oldest starting left tackle in the NFL nothing is ever certain. This post demands such a high degree of mental & physical strength each & every play. When your over 6-7 in height & carrying around 335 lbs.... those knees hurt all the time.

My thoughts here on how much longer our starting OC will play is much more positive than with our starting LT. #1 John is 4 yrs younger than Andrew. Plus John basically had the 2015 & 2016 NFL season off. With only one start during that time. OC's have a proven tract record of playing longer than the other four OL positions. John just earned himself a 5 1/2 million pay increase this season & can earn up to $2 million in per game in bonuses in 2018 and $1.5 million in 2019. So I see no reason for John to fade away here just because the Rams finally drafted a center who played his college ball in an NFL offense. Sure looks like John is having a blast & simply loves :love: playing in LA for McVay & Kromer.:bueller:.

Appears the Rams are well fortified @ OC presently with Sullivan- Blythe- Neary- Allen. The last three all have experience playing both OG posts too.Rams still listing Eldrenkamp @ OC too. Blythe even started a gm for the Colts @ RT. I do think we will see Eldrenkamp & Jeremiah Kolone getting reps @ LG. Kolone bears watching he is advanced in pass protection very unusual for a rookie.

1. I’ll start by saying Saffold ever since coming off his last injury has played well. You basically said he was done.I’ll admit that I was pissed at him after talking shit about Goff at the end 2016.I thought Robinson might jus need better coaching. Saffold always said he would out play his contract & once Kromer cut Robinson I was all in.playing in between Whitworth & Sullivan was just what the Dr. order !!! Saffold will Never Play Tackle for The Rams again.ZERO chance!!! This will play out 1,000% true. Saffold will out play his contract as well.He talked to us Ram fans in Oxnard and told us he would be alright.

2.Whitworth is a dinosaur !! Lol - he came to The Rams a year to late for TV. The dude is just totally Kool !! McVay loves him & calls him coach because he is older than him & it keeps him young in spirit.He is a big family man & such a team leader.I’ll always say He is Just coming off a Pro Bowl Season. Still a TOP 100 PLAYER!! I think he still has Passion for The Game.How many players retire 2 years after being both Top 10 & A Pro Bowler ? As far as his size. McVay let’s him keep his feet up & chill. -give you his Knees.Look at the Rsms schedule video to see who is having fun with McVay ?

3.Demby is listed as OG & is only playing OG in camp so far !! To think he is a Ztackle at this point is Fake News!!!

4.Sullivan? I’ll give you playing out his contract. I just think The Rams will clear out that Center Group. The keepers will be Sullivan ,Blythe,& Allen. — The rest will be either cut or practice squad again.Sullivan take time off is sort of laughable. He either was hurt & just not good enough to play. His back injury was no joke though.

5. Jeremiah Kolone looks like a promising project . The thing about him though, is he looks just a slow of foot.He makes Jamil Demby look fast .

6. The Tackle spot is a lot more unclear for myself.Once they start lining up will help things become more clear.

You have your opinion for sure. I give you that. Right now I don’t see it any other way. Will keep our back and forth. You bring good knowledge though.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ref. Demby Demby has not been asked to play anything other than left Tackle in college. Four-year starter at left tackle for the Black Bears, but @ the moment he is sure to move inside for the Rams to get ready for possible starting vacancies @ both OG posts in 2019 season. Demby stands a very good chance to replace Saffold in 2019.

Lucas is a fair back up right OT nothing more he will get you by in an emergency. If your a NFL OL coach you don't build around him & you don't plan for him to be your top reserve RT. Lucas is a true WWC!

Rams let Lucas depart the Rams team when the 2017 season concluded for 2018 free agency to seek his price on the open market. Lucas did just that & found no takers & returned back to LA @ the vet minimum.

That is true. I just think you always give a player to develop. Kromer says you never know when that light switch will come on ,if ever.
Notebook during the season will more than likely get The first group reps on Wednesday’s.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Really? Camps gonna be fun.

Yes, it really does....I have a couple jokes about this too...

I saw this as well....But I think he's a true mauler...and without that he'll struggle...as most have said...if he's bigger and stronger in 2018...watch out.

Me either...This Allen is this...Allen is that...very confusing.

Now....
You just spoke on how Blythe is the smallest center in the NFL...6'2....295 or whatever....and Allen is virtually the same size...what makes you believe Allen can play OG...or even be and effective OC?

hmmmm....Allen...Kolone (local Cali guy huh?)...or Eldrenkamp???

I'm going Eldrenkamp for $50 Boni;)
I'd agree....:yess:

I got an agreement!! Lmao

I had 2 inches to spare !!

Eldrenkamp is interesting to watch. He was highly touted coming out. Thought he was the biggest name of udfa on The Rams roster last year. He was coming off an injury I believe?

The main guys a guard ? Demby will win the backup Guard position & to think Kolone is going to bet him at is getting ahead of oneself.

What happens to Blythe is interesting. Will Allen beat out Blythe. A few centers are going to get cut. For Kromer to draft Allen @ Center was EyE opening to me with so many Center only type players , especially when Kromer likes Tackle types that can convert to Guard.
Demby being the perfect example.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Eldrenkamp is interesting to watch. He was highly touted coming out. Thought he was the biggest name of udfa on The Rams roster last year. He was coming off an injury I believe?
not sure about injury....I do know Kromer wanted him last year...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
not sure about injury....I do know Kromer wanted him last year...

Right on !! Will see how this thing starts to play out. I personally think he is the odd man out , but know the talent is there.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I had saved all of the NFL Combine broadcasts, from earlier this year, and re-watched all of our OL guys, and I can easily say they all had one thing in common, they all have really good feet. Different sizes, different level of size, and or athleticism, but they all have good feet, and that is what I always look for.

I am optimistic, but certainly can't make any declarations, or predictions, until I start seeing them in our system, on the field, against live competition. I really do like the guys we picked though, because there is a lot of promise there, and good feet can keep you in a play, even if you make a mistake.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I can easily say they all had one thing in common, they all have really good feet.
Noteboom has excellent feet...and very coordinated....I think he was at the senior bowl...I seem to remember his name....I was paying attention to the DL's so much...but he does have very good footwork....quick feet...pretty good athlete.

Demby I do remember...cause I was watching the DT's mostly (b4 we acquired Suh)....He has very good balance with his feet...good technique...and he has really good hand stuff...heavy and violent...he seemed to be grabbing in every drill and it seemed to make some of the DL's upset.

Allen I've seen play for 2 seasons....my only concern with him is his size.

Lots of good foot movement on all of the Linemen drafted....I haven't watched any film on Kolone...

Only thing I could find was this...

View: https://youtu.be/PJqFU2LmLMI

My personal fav for OG....
Wyatt Teller

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I don't mean to sound like a jerk here but; :D

Some of you guys that seem to be hoping for or predicting the demise of John Sullivan.....
I have to think you are under estimating the incredible job he did for us last season.
One of the main things that gave Goff confidence to step up in the pocket was knowing the experience of a John Sullivan allowing him to do that.

Going from a big marshmallow, (but very nice guy) like Barnes to a guy that was consistently giving him time to step up in the pocket is immeasurable when you think what it did for Goff's psyche.
Knowing he had a guy with the experience to be able to make the line calls that he might miss?
Immeasurable.
There's a huge reason that they resigned him and gave him the contract he deserved.

HE'S THAT GOOD!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I had saved all of the NFL Combine broadcasts, from earlier this year, and re-watched all of our OL guys, and I can easily say they all had one thing in common, they all have really good feet. Different sizes, different level of size, and or athleticism, but they all have good feet, and that is what I always look for.

I am optimistic, but certainly can't make any declarations, or predictions, until I start seeing them in our system, on the field, against live competition. I really do like the guys we picked though, because there is a lot of promise there, and good feet can keep you in a play, even if you make a mistake.

I really like the New 3 to go with The Big 5 !!

Noteboom was really fast & perfect size to grow. He has a good head on his shoulder as well. He admits to getting beat by Obo , and is always to get better. Very confident!! Knows he needs to get bigger in size & strength. He is going to be a sponge as well.

Allen is just a Competitor , that has a wrestling background where if he loses a point one time he will always try to win the next point .

Demby is the kind of guy , Kromer likes s a guard. Just the size & power to move inside.
Ram fans that want to doubt him at guard can look how Kromer tried to move Big Rob inside at guard. Who was think that was a possibility last season ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Noteboom has excellent feet...and very coordinated....I think he was at the senior bowl...I seem to remember his name....I was paying attention to the DL's so much...but he does have very good footwork....quick feet...pretty good athlete.

Demby I do remember...cause I was watching the DT's mostly (b4 we acquired Suh)....He has very good balance with his feet...good technique...and he has really good hand stuff...heavy and violent...he seemed to be grabbing in every drill and it seemed to make some of the DL's upset.

Allen I've seen play for 2 seasons....my only concern with him is his size.

Lots of good foot movement on all of the Linemen drafted....I haven't watched any film on Kolone...

Only thing I could find was this...

View: https://youtu.be/PJqFU2LmLMI

My personal fav for OG....
Wyatt Teller

I was wanting to see him in a 3 point stance. He is more explosive when he brings his pad level down. A big guy that doesn’t keep connected with his blocks. Could be a big mauler inside.

His is very slow of foot, & makes Demby look fast.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Some of you guys that seem to be hoping for or predicting the demise of John Sullivan.....
I have to think you are under estimating the incredible job he did for us last season.
One of the main things that gave Goff confidence to step up in the pocket was knowing the experience of a John Sullivan allowing him to do that.

Going from a big marshmallow, (but very nice guy) like Barnes to a guy that was consistently giving him time to step up in the pocket is immeasurable when you think what it did for Goff's psyche.
Knowing he had a guy with the experience to be able to make the line calls that he might miss?
Immeasurable.
There's a huge reason that they resigned him and gave him the contract he deserved.

HE'S THAT GOOD!!!
I think he was really good last year. I don't see him getting beat out this year, for sure. He probably doesn't get enough credit for the work he did.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Immeasurable.

HE'S THAT GOOD!!!

First off I was one of the only one happy that Ryan Groy was not signed.Was totally happy The Rams signed John Sullivan.

I’m totally happy Sullivan resigned with The Rams. Called the Offensive Line The Big 5 all season & said They Rams would carry less offensive lineman to keepnthere WR’s.

The Rams are lucky they still have M.Thomas on the roster.

To tell the truth from pictures yesterday Whitworth looked a lot grayer & out of shape.
He looks like he is aging faster than I thought.
That said I think he plays out his contract, the same as Sullivan.

My biggest question is why Kromer so intrigued with the center position.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think he was really good last year. I don't see him getting beat out this year, for sure. He probably doesn't get enough credit for the work he did.

He totally solidified the position & was an excellent team leader. He & Whit brought The Big 5 together. With those 2 guys it did wonders for Roger Saffold.
Big Rob is like a sponge & wants to learn.Jamon Brown has been able just play RG.

Keep asking why 5 centers & drafted a Center with The Rams 2nd pick ? That to me says a lot about Allen then ??

Eldrenkamp & Blythe aren’t the best back up guards to groom I don’t think.

Demby will be the back up guard. Austin Blythe was solid last year, but will be replaced sooner than later as far as his Rams future goes. One more year ?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The only thing drafting a Center means to me is that they realize they were very lucky they didn't have any injuries along the line.
Sullivan has an injury history so they're just preparing for an injury this year or next year which is just due diligence in preparing for the future at that position by drafting someone.