Back up offense lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think your way off with moving Noteboom inside. Demby is listed at OG!! He is like Saffold mini me !! He plays on the left side, so LG makes the most sense.That’s my opinion, but standing strong with it for now. We all have our own predictions.I still don’t see Saffold ever playing LT for The Rams again!!
That projection was based on starting 2019 UFA LG Saffold's highly probable Ram team departure after this season & if Andrew Whitworth comes back to play LT in 2019.

Snead said that the Rams were looking @ OT's (in this past draft), to work early on the interior. I believe that Noteboom & Demby were examples of this plan. But I consider that unlikely because of Whitworth's age. Noteboom Ram future is (@ this time) appears to be tied to the LT post. Demby's future appears to be tied to either 2019 UFA RT Havenstien or 2019 UFA LG Saffold but its all just a projection.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regardless, until yesterday Cornelius Lucas was a free agent.
Fact.
Rams announced his signing on April 16th. The same day they franchised Joyner and signed Williams and Longacre to their tenders along with Ficken, Brown and Hill.

I seem to have not kept up with this thread and realized I quoted a post from the day after this signings.

Ram65

Legend
Jamil Demby looks like a young Roger Saffold who my win the backup OG & Brain Allen the backup C.

I still liked Austin Bythe has the lead at that position.

Demby has been playing OT. He is a bit slow from what I've seen. I think he needs time before he is active on game day.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
May have been mentioned earlier, but Lucas is a guy in a really good spot. Hav is an upcoming FA, looking for a good payday, Rams cant sign everyone, perhaps Lucas can show enough to be the starting RT in 2019, earn himself a nice short term contract in the process.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Demby has been playing OT. He is a bit slow from what I've seen. I think he needs time before he is active on game day.

First photos from rookie camp. You might be right ? I saw a guy in his stance that looked powerful & on the left guard side.

It’s all a guess right now.So many things can happen until now & the first game.

The good thing is Kromer is an excellent teacher & believes in his ability to evaluate & teach player to succeed. Some player take longer & some might just need different coaching.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
May have been mentioned earlier, but Lucas is a guy in a really good spot. Hav is an upcoming FA, looking for a good payday, Rams cant sign everyone, perhaps Lucas can show enough to be the starting RT in 2019, earn himself a nice short term contract in the process.

Very good possibility.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That projection was based on starting 2019 UFA LG Saffold's highly probable Ram team departure after this season & if Andrew Whitworth comes back to play LT in 2019.

Snead said that the Rams were looking @ OT's (in this past draft), to work early on the interior. I believe that Noteboom & Demby were examples of this plan. But I consider that unlikely because of Whitworth's age. Noteboom Ram future is (@ this time) appears to be tied to the LT post. Demby's future appears to be tied to either 2019 UFA RT Havenstien or 2019 UFA LG Saffold but its all just a projection.

No Brainer Bonified from my side,

I just looked at the video(interview)of Demby
on The Rams site. Day 1 already makes Kromers plan super clear.

First off I hate any Rams fan doubting who Andrew Whitworth is as a player.He is a pro bowl tackle that has 2 years left on his contract!! ENOUGH SAID!!!

1.Noteboom- drafted as a Tackle.He brings the ability to play swing!! I believe Kromer is high on his ability.He still needs to bulk up!! He is confident in his ability & very athletic.Ran one of the fastest 40’s for a OL. He even played a little hockey.
His future ?? Hopefully it is at LT in 2 years to replace Whitworth,until then swing? Could start at RT next season??

2.Brian Allen was brought in to play center. He will be the back up center & even push John Sullivan.(Austin Blythe??) This guy was The Rams 2nd pick for a reason.His mind set is another Big 10 guy, that is going to makeitinthe NFL.There is nothing else.

3.Demby is going to play Guard only !! Kromer already has him playing both side.(Austin Blythe) He is 6’5 330 & NFL ready.He will be A Rams starting guard next season!!

This are 3 hand picked players from Kromer.These are the first Offensive Lineman drafted in the McVay era!!

This is the foundation moving forward.Les Snead did this before with Big Rob Hav, Brown, Donald, & dude from Fresno St.Wichmann .

These are the first lineman drafted since then as well. Demby maybe the steal of the draft when reflecting back ?

This draft class was well thought out & planned. In retrospect, I can’t see how it could have gone much better ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I think it is way to early to tell, but he looks good in the early stages. He will make the 53.
Special teams maybe key, but if the NFL doesn’t have kickoffs ? That would make NFL rosters look a little different?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams announced his signing on April 16th. The same day they franchised Joyner and signed Williams and Longacre to their tenders along with Ficken, Brown and Hill.

I seem to have not kept up with this thread and realized I quoted a post from the day after this signings.

All good, but what are your thoughts now on the Offensive Line ? Will Williams or Lucas make the team ? Who will be the 2nd string left or right tackle ?

I think that is where the biggest competition lies.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

No Brainer Bonified from my side,

I just looked at the video(interview)of Demby
on The Rams site. Day 1 already makes Kromers plan super clear.

First off I hate any Rams fan doubting who Andrew Whitworth is as a player.He is a pro bowl tackle that has 2 years left on his contract!! ENOUGH SAID!!!

1.Noteboom- drafted as a Tackle.He brings the ability to play swing!! I believe Kromer is high on his ability.He still needs to bulk up!! He is confident in his ability & very athletic.Ran one of the fastest 40’s for a OL. He even played a little hockey.
His future ?? Hopefully it is at LT in 2 years to replace Whitworth,until then swing? Could start at RT next season??

2.Brian Allen was brought in to play center. He will be the back up center & even push John Sullivan.(Austin Blythe??) This guy was The Rams 2nd pick for a reason.His mind set is another Big 10 guy, that is going to makeitinthe NFL.There is nothing else.

3.Demby is going to play Guard only !! Kromer already has him playing both side.(Austin Blythe) He is 6’5 330 & NFL ready.He will be A Rams starting guard next season!!

This are 3 hand picked players from Kromer.These are the first Offensive Lineman drafted in the McVay era!!

This is the foundation moving forward.Les Snead did this before with Big Rob Hav, Brown, Donald, & dudefrom Fresno St.Wichmann .

These are the first lineman drafted since then as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Always seemed a bit risky to me to dress so few.
That was for sure !!

Shows how important The Big 5 were!! The balls it took for McVay & Kromer. When Whitworth went down , Inthink it cost The Eams the game ? I think there were 2 other injuries on the line that game as well?? Just remember the season looked like it could be over really quick. Now after the 2018 draft the future looks a little brighter. The Rams have had trouble drafting Offensive Lineman over the last 15 years. It looks like Snead is starting to change that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All good, but what are your thoughts now on the Offensive Line ? Will Williams or Lucas make the team ? Who will be the 2nd string left or right tackle ?

Very hard to tell this early. We could see our two backup tackles being the rookies Notebook and Demby. We could keep more there than last year with that youth as an insurance policy. We might see Blythe and another versatile iol you in the two rookies and run with 10. Or it could be Blythe and the three rookies if they impress.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
He wasn't dominating in college - but stayed healthy, is quite smart, showed coachability in the Senior Bowl (and apparently shone there) and while already big - has room on his frame to add a lot more muscle. A developmental guy, who can reasonably be projected to become a nice, solid LT, despite being drafted the second half of the third round.
I hope I hope I hope.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Very hard to tell this early. We could see our two backup tackles being the rookies Notebook and Demby. We could keep more there than last year with that youth as an insurance policy. We might see Blythe and another versatile iol you in the two rookies and run with 10. Or it could be Blythe and the three rookies if they impress.

I think Kromer is a free thinker. He isn’t afraid to think outside the box or make a move to change things up.

That being said , I’m sure he has a game plan , and will challenge each player.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

This might answer all your questions.....

2018 OL Prognostication?:
@ LT Whitworth/ Joe Noteboom/ Jamil Demby
@ LG Saffold/ Jeremiah Kolone/ Brian Allen
@ OC Sullivan/ Austin Blythe/ Brian Allen
@ RG Brown/ Brian Allen/ Jamil Demby
@ RT Havenstein/ Jamil Demby/ Joe Noteboom

My 10 final master roster OL'ers for 2018:
Andrew Whitworth 36/13
John Sullivan 32/11
Rodger Saffold 30/9
Rob Havenstien 26/4
Jamon Brown 25/4
Austin Blythe 25/3
Joe Noteboom 22/R
Brian Allen 22/R
Jamil Demby 21/R
Jeremial Kolone 23/R

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This might answer all your questions.....

2018 OL Prognostication?:
@ LT Whitworth/ Joe Noteboom/ Jamil Demby
@ LG Saffold/ Jeremiah Kolone/ Brian Allen
@ OC Sullivan/ Austin Blythe/ Brian Allen
@ RG Brown/ Brian Allen/ Jamil Demby
@ RT Havenstein/ Jamil Demby/ Joe Noteboom

My 10 final master roster OL'ers for 2018:
Andrew Whitworth 36/13
John Sullivan 32/11
Rodger Saffold 30/9
Rob Havenstien 26/4
Jamon Brown 25/4
Austin Blythe 25/3
Joe Noteboom 22/R
Brian Allen 22/R
Jamil Demby 21/R
Jeremial Kolone 23/R

Interesting. So you don’t like Lucas at all ?

Right now I don’t see Demby playing tackle at all. Will see soon, but as far I’ve seen it has not happened.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Allen Brings Wrestling Mentality to Offensive Line
Myles Simmons

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Allen-Brings-Wrestling-Mentality-to-Offensive-Line/c91abe4c-7662-48d5-8dba-045d857eae6b

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Allen-Brings-Wrestling-Mentality-to-Offensive-Line/c91abe4c-7662-48d5-8dba-045d857eae6b#474cd717-56ff-4fad-a628-e567b4acaf48

Rookie offensive lineman Brian Allen is a finisher.Highlights of college offensive lineman aren’t always that fun to watch. But take a look at Allen’s and you’ll see shot after shot of the Michigan State product driving his opponent into the ground.The 22-year-old offensive lineman said this week that tenacity comes in large part from his history as a wrestler.

On a wrestling mat it’s one on one, so you have that mentality that it’s kind of you versus them. And people who haven’t played individual sports like that haven’t kind of understood the successes and failures that come with that,” Allen said. “So, any wrestler has that mentality that they can’t lose or it’s on them. Even though it’s a team sport and I approach it as a team sport, you still have the individual battle in the back of your mind.

“If I’m screwing up not only am I going to be mad at myself, but it’s going to affect the team,” Allen continued. “I just take pride in trying to win my individual battles and I think that’s what comes from the wrestling.”

Allen won enough of those battles in college to impress the Rams’ brass into drafting him at No. 111 overall in the fourth round. And with it, Allen kept alive a significant streak — Michigan State has had a player selected in the NFL Draft for 78 consecutive years.

“It did [mean something to me], but at the same time that decision wasn’t up to me, so I just could work as hard as I could,” Allen said. “I didn’t feel any pressure like I had to or what not, it was just something that was going on. I didn’t really think about it too much because it, again, was out of my hands. I didn’t want to really want to worry about that or anything like that. I’m just grateful it happened for our school that we could keep that going.”

One factor that may ease Allen’s transition to the NFL is the offensive lineman’s experience in a pro-style system at Michigan State. That experience gives Allen a bit of an advantage compared to those who come from spread offenses. But Allen isn’t making too much of it.

“We played a pro-style offense there and in the Big Ten, there’s a lot of good guys,” Allen said. “But like anything — jumping from high school to college — the guys are going to get bigger and stronger, speed is going to be a little faster. I’m expecting the same thing here, so just have to get acclimated with that and keep getting better.”
Now that he’s in the building as a Ram, Allen said his first impressions of run game coordinator Aaron Kromer have been positive.

“He’s very hands on and obviously knows what he’s talking about with the guys upfront and the success they’ve had,” Allen said. “Just working with him today and working on the little details and stuff like that was cool to pick up new techniques right away from him. Looking forward to getting a lot better with him as we move forward.”

One way to improve will be to square off against the Rams’ formidable defensive lineman. That can’t happen until training camp in a couple months when the players have on pads. But it’s something Allen is looking forward to.

“A lot of people have said, ‘Yeah, have fun with that,’ or stuff like that. I’m sure I’ll get my butt kicked a time or two here, but again at the end of the day I’m going to learn from that and get better,” Allen said. “If I can get a little better at one area against one of those guys, it’s just going to help me down the road. So, I’m excited for it and it’s something that makes this team better — having guys like that to compete with.”

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This Brian Allen looks alright.

I like McVays new approach with The Rookies in 2018.He is not going to have the rookies come in at separate times.

I think the reason is because teams are short players, & to much chance for injury.

John Johnson got injured last season during rookie camp?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams rookie Brian Allen compares playing O-line to wrestling

By: Cameron DaSilva

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...rams-brian-allen-rookie-draft-pick-wrestling/

With John Sullivan being 32 years old and not the most durable player in the world, the Los Angeles Rams saw a clear need at center this offseason. They addressed it by drafting Brian Allen out of Michigan State in the fourth round, giving the offensive line some much-needed depth.

Like fellow draftee Joseph Noteboom, Allen won’t be asked to start right away. He’ll likely only see the field if there’s an injury to one of the interior linemen, but the Rams certainly hope that doesn’t happen. When he does finally get the call, he’ll use his past experience of being a wrestler to his advantage. After all, some of offensive line play is about one-on-one matchups with opposing defenders.

“On a wrestling mat it’s one on one, so you have that mentality that it’s kind of you versus them. And people who haven’t played individual sports like that haven’t kind of understood the successes and failures that come with that,” Allen said, via the team’s site. “So, any wrestler has that mentality that they can’t lose or it’s on them. Even though it’s a team sport and I approach it as a team sport, you still have the individual battle in the back of your mind.”

The only difference with football is that his lapses and mistakes do impact other people, not just himself.

“If I’m screwing up not only am I going to be mad at myself, but it’s going to affect the team,” Allen added. “I just take pride in trying to win my individual battles and I think that’s what comes from the wrestling.” In high school, Allen was a dominant wrestler. He turned in a perfect 48-0 record in 2013 at Hinsdale Central high school in Illinois, becoming the first wrestler in school history to win four state medals.