Back up offense lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only thing drafting a Center means to me is that they realize they were very lucky they didn't have any injuries along the line.
Sullivan has an injury history so they're just preparing for an injury this year or next year which is just due diligence in preparing for the future at that position by drafting someone.

Well they had Eldrenkamp,Blythe, & Neary as back ups. Sullivan was injured last season & Blythe filled in ok.

—Yes it means The Rams are finally building from the inside out like Spags always said he’d do & didn’t. Drafting Jason Smith was such a wasted draft. Same as Greg Robinson.

One solid rookie is not going to build your line.
Noteboom will be better than Greg Robinson ever will. They drafted a OLman who have good head on there shoulders.

Demby is already get good reports playing guard next to Noteboom.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ref. Demby Demby has not been asked to play anything other than left Tackle in college. Four-year starter at left tackle for the Black Bears, but @ the moment he is sure to move inside for the Rams to get ready for possible starting vacancies @ both OG posts in 2019 season. Demby stands a very good chance to replace Saffold in 2019.

Lucas is a fair back up right OT nothing more he will get you by in an emergency. If your a NFL OL coach you don't build around him & you don't plan for him to be your top reserve RT. Lucas is a true WWC!

Rams let Lucas depart the Rams team when the 2017 season concluded for 2018 free agency to seek his price on the open market. Lucas did just that & found no takers & returned back to LA @ the vet minimum.

Right now Lucas is taking first team Reps at LT & Demby 2nd team Reps as Roger Safolds mini-me at LG !!!!

From day 1 my final OLineman of 10, which could be less, but I think with 3 lineman leaving as FA’s . The Rams should keep 2 extra to help keep the foundation built.

Whitworth,Lucas(swing),Noteboom( might get 1st team Reps on Wed.)
Saffold,Demby
Sullivan,Blythe(RG), Allen might get 1st teams reps on Wed?
Brown,
Big Rob
That’s my 10 right there.Blythe being the Back Up RG with Demby fighting hard to
Be the total Guard swing guy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Right now Lucas is taking first team Reps at LT & Demby 2nd team Reps as Roger Safolds mini-me at LG !!!!

From day 1 my final OLineman of 10, which could be less, but I think with 3 lineman leaving as FA’s . The Rams should keep 2 extra to help keep the foundation built.

Whitworth,Lucas(swing),Noteboom( might get 1st team Reps on Wed.)
Saffold,Demby
Sullivan,Blythe(RG), Allen might get 1st teams reps on Wed?
Brown,
Big Rob
That’s my 10 right there.Blythe being the Back Up RG with Demby fighting hard to
Be the total Guard swing guy.

Less than one year ago Lucas was a Lion ...was spiting first-team reps at left tackle during OTAs. Lucas was so bad the Lions went out & traded for the famous :eek:Greg Robinson instead.:sadwalk:

It would be a wonderful thing if Lucas could improve enough to be the swing OT for this Rams team this season. Like I said above the Lions spent a ton of time & wasted a good bit of cap cash too for THREE seasons because of the super need they had @ LT & swing OT but in the end Lucas failed all three seasons to give the Lion what they wanted.

Now when I am looking for something positive here on Lucas this is what I would say....Lucas did not get any OTA/TC or Pre season coaching from Kromer last season. The Rams did not sign Lucas until the regular season had started back on Sep 12, 2017. So IMO Lucas is getting that now with Kromer. To me its a preliminary action to see if Kromer can get squeeze something useful out of Lucas that the Rams might possibly use this season.

Kromer knows that Darrell Williams is not a swing OT for this team or him. Rams have their top draft pick in this 2018 draft rookie Noteboom who looks to be the perfect swing OT but he is "A ROOKIE". With 3 new drafted rookies entering the OL unit the Rams need a HEAVY measure of experience. Lucas just happens to have more of it than any other non starting OL. That's another thing that may get him some longer looks in TC too.

It would be a good thing to remember here when discussing Lucas is all those 7 starts that he has..... did not take place because he had earned a starting OL position but because of many injuries & the throw away gm last season with the 9ers stuff. Lets hope that Lucas can beat Williams out of his roster spot this pre season that would be good. Kromer has a ton of work to do & I hope that Lucas does not give him heartburn.;)

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Less than one year ago Lucas was a Lion ...was spiting first-team reps at left tackle during OTAs. Lucas was so bad the Lions went out & traded for the famous :eek:Greg Robinson instead.:sadwalk:

Whit was out practice day 2.

It would be a wonderful thing if Lucas could improve enough to be the swing OT for this Rams team this season. Like I said above the Lions spent a ton of time & wasted a good bit of cap cash too for THREE seasons because of the super need they had @ LT & swing OT but in the end Lucas failed all three seasons to give the Lion what they wanted.

Now when I am looking for something positive here on Lucas this is what I would say....Lucas did not get any OTA/TC or Pre season coaching from Kromer last season. The Rams did not sign Lucas until the regular season had started back on Sep 12, 2017. So IMO Lucas is getting that now with Kromer. To me its a preliminary action to see if Kromer can get squeeze something useful out of Lucas that the Rams might possibly use this season.

Kromer knows that Darrell Williams is not a swing OT for this team or him. Rams have their top draft pick in this 2018 draft rookie Noteboom who looks to be the perfect swing OT but he is "A ROOKIE". With 3 new drafted rookies entering the OL unit the Rams need a HEAVY measure of experience. Lucas just happens to have more of it than any other non starting OL. That's another thing that may get him some longer looks in TC too.

It would be a good thing to remember here when discussing Lucas is all those 7 starts that he has..... did not take place because he had earned a starting OL position but because of many injuries & the throw away gm last season with the 9ers stuff. Lets hope that Lucas can beat Williams out of his roster spot this pre season that would be good. Kromer has a ton of work to do & I hope that Lucas does not give him heartburn.;)

Just keeping this thing live !! I think through progression we’ll start to get a better idea of how things are going.

At the end of day 2 practice Lucas is playing RT. That is also my thought process the whole time.

Lucas RT & Noteboom LT w/ first team Reps.

—Right now that might be the future.If Big Rob leaves at least you’ll have a solid back up.

Austin (Blythe)was getting some guard work in. Add Allen & Demby nice building blocks.

2nd string - Lucas RT,Eldrenkamp RG,B. Allen Center.
Allen is short. Eldrenkamp didn’t bulk up much.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just keeping this thing live !! I think through progression we’ll start to get a better idea of how things are going.

At the end of day 2 practice Lucas is playing RT. That is also my thought process the whole time.

Lucas RT & Noteboom LT w/ first team Reps.

—Right now that might be the future.If Big Rob leaves at least you’ll have a solid back up.

Austin (Blythe)was getting some guard work in. Add Allen & Demby nice building blocks.

2nd string - Lucas RT,Eldrenkamp RG,B. Allen Center.
Allen is short. Eldrenkamp didn’t bulk up much.
Are we talking in terms of OTA's & early training camp future or are we thinking future in terms of Lucas replacing Havenstein as starting RT in 2019? Lucas might be a fair back up but never a solid back up @ RT. A winning NFL team will NEVER plan to place your Franchised QB under the protection of a WWC OT.

Pass rushers will end Goff's season rather quickly. Just go back & watch the last 5 minutes of the Pro Bowl gm early this season....& observe what the LDE was able to do to Goff through the RT....play after play after play. McVay would never place Goff in that type of constant serious pressure like they did late. Starting Havenstein must be the #1 priority of all the 2019 Ram UFA's period end of conversation.:rant:

Now the best plan for Lucas if he proves worthy is as your swing 4th OT on the master roster for the first regular season game. Whitworth / Havenstein/ Noteboom & Lucas with Saffold as your emergency!:D I knew that would get you riled:sneaky: up.:rolllaugh:

I do not worry about the size of Allen, Blythe or even Eldrenkamp playing in the middle of this Kromer OL. Kolone a 6-3 310lbs will see a ton of LG action early ...I would not write off Kolone & would not underestimate this UDFA. Way too early to shoot :wabbit:here but if I needed too :thinking:I'd say that after Saffold & Brown your top 3 OG's prospects in TC & pre season will be Demby/ Allen & Kolone. Very good chance 2 of them will be starting for Kromer in 2019 with the 3rd being the swing reserve OG:bueller:.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm not sure this means anything.
The lions are somewhat of a mess at tackle and do not have our positives;

* A great coach in Kromer.

* A positive team mentality to win and support each other as a team and get better.

* Being inserted on a O line that's already solid meaning you play next to a guy who is also solid.

* Lucas is aware that it's his last chance and he's playing on veteran minimum so it's now or never.

The Lions picking Robinson was a desperation move as we knew when it happened. To me that just shows how bad they are at evaluating talent at the tackle position which means they may have misevaluated Lucas.
He is still here so that means they want to go through an entire camp with him and see if he's developing.

Drafting Noteboom to me just verifies what I've always felt;
Every year you should draft somebody in the third or fourth round (minimum) to develop as a solid backup or to see if you could develop that person into a starter.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Are we talking in terms of OTA's & early training camp future or are we thinking future in terms of Lucas replacing Havenstein as starting RT in 2019? Lucas might be a fair back up but never a solid back up @ RT. A winning NFL team will NEVER plan to place your Franchised QB under the protection of a WWC OT.

Pass rushers will end Goff's season rather quickly. Just go back & watch the last 5 minutes of the Pro Bowl gm early this season....& observe what the LDE was able to do to Goff through the RT....play after play after play. McVay would never place Goff in that type of constant serious pressure like they did late. Starting Havenstein must be the #1 priority of all the 2019 Ram UFA's period end of conversation.:rant:

Now the best plan for Lucas if he proves worthy is as your swing 4th OT on the master roster for the first regular season game. Whitworth / Havenstein/ Noteboom & Lucas with Saffold as your emergency!:D I knew that would get you riled:sneaky: up.:rolllaugh:

I do not worry about the size of Allen, Blythe or even Eldrenkamp playing in the middle of this Kromer OL. Kolone a 6-3 310lbs will see a ton of LG action early ...I would not write off Kolone & would not underestimate this UDFA. Way too early to shoot :wabbit:here but if I needed too :thinking:I'd say that after Saffold & Brown your top 3 OG's prospects in TC & pre season will be Demby/ Allen & Kolone. Very good chance 2 of them will be starting for Kromer in 2019 with the 3rd being the swing reserve OG:bueller:.

As it goes now after reviewing photos. Lmao !!
I have to say Darrell Williams is still in play !!

Darrell Williams was the back up LT over Saffold last year(lmao)!! At least when Whitworth went down & every Wednesday during the season.

The reason I bring him up is, first his age & experience. Then he showed up in a photo working with the first team at RT.

It is still to early to tell. I went with a reporter that Lucas was starting at LT day 1. To me that
Meant something. Whatever it meant ?

I think The Rams did make enough moves during the draft to build when 3 OLineman hit Free Agency in 2019.

You make good points. This is a running thread.As Spags use to say, build with pillars.
Kromer has the formula to build it up right.He has some nice pieces. Just has to mold them.

It’s only day 3, but by mid/June we will have a real good idea how things will play out.

Kolone looks slow to me. Neary was getting some 2 unit snaps at center.

I’m not a fan of Eldrenkamp, but will see ? I think position wise Kromer has a good idea of what it all looks like with master plan.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have 20,000 ROD $$ that says DWilliams won't make the final 53.

Give me a few weeks & I might take you up on it. He was horrible last year playing RT,but if all things seemed to play ok at LT.

Noteboom will get the reps at LT imo.Injust saw a photo of him playing first team RT, so it’s intriguing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have 20,000 ROD $$ that says DWilliams won't make the final 53.

He is getting a couple reps at starting LT , which of course he did all last season under Kromer. He was actually the only back up tackle last season during a couple games.

How far into can I wait to make that call ??

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
My offer stands up until the first day of TC. Practice squad doesn't count. If we have a wager, we can go back and forth lauding our favorites during TC and pre-season. Yours would be DWilliams mine would be Lucas and Notebloom. I concede Williams has the edge because he's been there.

Friendly debate and some fun?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My offer stands up until the first day of TC. Practice squad doesn't count. If we have a wager, we can go back and forth lauding our favorites during TC and pre-season. Yours would be DWilliams mine would be Lucas and Notebloom. I concede Williams has the edge because he's been there. Friendly debate and some fun?
DW has been here a while now....since 2015. DW entering his 4th Training Camp. DW has been very lucky that the Rams have not drafted any LT's since 2014.

In 2015 Snead drafted LT Jamon Brown & LT Isaiah Battle & signed another UDFA LT named Steven Baker. Afterwards they signed DW as a UDFA. Surprising DW won the back up LT position to GRob, with Jamon Brown moving inside & the super raw Isaiah Battle going to the PS. DW ended up @ mid regular season going to the IR.

2016 DW got his 2nd TC & pre season worth of experience but was placed on the IR before the season began. With Pace Murphy as the LT back up reserve post. Battle & Baker were cut.

In 2017 DW came back from 2 season's worth of IR, he joined UDFA's LT's Pace Murphy & Micheal Dunn. DW beat both of out to be Kromer's reserve LT. After the 2017 season began Kromer got Swing OT Cornelius Lucas. Both remained on the roster. Both DW & CL were not offered a contract & became FA's early this year.

Right before the draft both DW & CL signed 1 yr. deals. Both are scheduled to be RFA's when this season ends. However it should be included here a very important fact... What did the Ram go & do in the 2018 draft ? Who did they select with their top selection ?

Joseph Noteboom Left Tackle. In addition Rams also drafted a OG/OC versatile Brain Allen & OG/RT Jamil Demby. So both DW & CL will have some stiffer younger but talented competition unlike 2017. Rams also signed back 2017 practice squad member LT Micheal Dunn.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My offer stands up until the first day of TC. Practice squad doesn't count. If we have a wager, we can go back and forth lauding our favorites during TC and pre-season. Yours would be DWilliams mine would be Lucas and Notebloom. I concede Williams has the edge because he's been there.

Well Noteboom is the future.He will probably be the back up LT during the season ?

It’s really hard to say right now though.My thoughts are different than most, I guess ?

My concern is Big Rob Hav . He has had a foot injury in the past, so I question his durability.Darrell Williams for some reason looks out of place as a RT, & ok at LT.
I think Big Rob has one foot out the door.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
DW has been here a while now....since 2015. DW entering his 4th Training Camp. DW has been very lucky that the Rams have not drafted any LT's since 2014.

In 2015 Snead drafted LT Jamon Brown & LT Isaiah Battle & signed another UDFA LT named Steven Baker. Afterwards they signed DW as a UDFA. Surprising DW won the back up LT position to GRob, with Jamon Brown moving inside & the super raw Isaiah Battle going to the PS. DW ended up @ mid regular season going to the IR.

2016 DW got his 2nd TC & pre season worth of experience but was placed on the IR before the season began. With Pace Murphy as the LT back up reserve post. Battle & Baker were cut.

In 2017 DW came back from 2 season's worth of IR, he joined UDFA's LT's Pace Murphy & Micheal Dunn. DW beat both of out to be Kromer's reserve LT. After the 2017 season began Kromer got Swing OT Cornelius Lucas. Both remained on the roster. Both DW & CL were not offered a contract & became FA's early this year.

Right before the draft both DW & CL signed 1 yr. deals. Both are scheduled to be RFA's when this season ends. However it should be included here a very important fact... What did the Ram go & do in the 2018 draft ? Who did they select with their top selection ?

Joseph Noteboom Left Tackle. In addition Rams also drafted a OG/OC versatile Brain Allen & OG/RT Jamil Demby. So both DW & CL will have some stiffer younger but talented competition unlike 2017. Rams also signed back 2017 practice squad member LT Micheal Dunn.

Good stuff Bonify
Noteboom is the keeper , then it is Lucas or DW. Dunn is done !!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good stuff Bonify
Noteboom is the keeper , then it is Lucas or DW. Dunn is done !!
Training Camp & Pre season for the OL is going to be HOT....with 3 newly drafted OL'ers for a major change??? Not seen this since 2015. Its going to be real fun to come in here to ROD & see what going on in Ramland :love: each & every day. I am sure some more heartbreaks & also great discoveries wait for us.............Great time to be a Ram fan:yess: Its also a great thing to be a member here to a wonderful friendly Ram forum:grouphug:.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Training Camp & Pre season for the OL is going to be HOT....with 3 newly drafted OL'ers for a major change??? Not seen this since 2015. Its going to be real fun to come in here to ROD & see what going on in Ramland :love: each & every day. I am sure some more heartbreaks & also great discoveries wait for us.............Great time to be a Ram fan:yess: Its also a great thing to be a member here to a wonderful friendly Ram forum:grouphug:.

Are you selling your happy pills, Because the post man had me lol pretty hard.

It is good times, looking forward it should only get better to be a Rams fan!

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Are you selling your happy pills, Because the post man had me lol pretty hard.

It is good times, looking forward it should only get better to be a Rams fan!
:D

No, I am not any good @ selling things.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Williams is still getting a lot of first team reps.
—Noteboom still needs to bulk up a little, but once training camp starts it could be a total different situation. Plus the injury thing could go either way ?
— Lucas to be is a wild card because of his size.The dude is huge, & Williams is undersized.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Yeah - right now Williams is getting a lot of first team reps still. I’ve seen him on the right side as well though.

Noteboom will get his time though once training camp starts.Full lads might to the biggest difference.
MLucas is just a huge dude.