Back up offense lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Has to be the top 10 of all time Laughing events in Movie history! :bow:

There is no funnier scene in movie history than when the monster visits the blind man.

I laugh to crying even still and I've probably seen that scene over 100 times! Literally.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
LT- Whitworth/ R>Noteboom(3rd) / Williams/ Dunn
LG- Saffold/ Eldrenkamp
OC- Sullivan/ Blythe/ Neary
RG- Brown/ R>Allen(4th)
RT- Havenstein/ R>Demby(6th) / Lucas/

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
LG- Saffold/ Eldrenkamp
RG- Brown/ R>Allen(4th)

Austin Blythe is The Rams best OG ??

Allen might end up being that guy though.

EldrenkampI believe will get cut.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Austin Blythe is a scrappy little dude but he's much more suited for a strict Zone blocking scheme then our hybrid Power/Man/Zone scheme.

We haven't even seen him play a whole game much less a series of games.
He was released by Indianapolis who needed lineman.

Eldrenkamp is also 300 lb but at least he's 6-5 where Blythe is 6-3, so he has a better chance of putting on some more weight frame wise.

Sounds good in theory!

The Rams drafted Brain Allen at 6’2 vs Kamp 6’5. & Blythe 6’3 .

2 to 3 inches is going make that much of a difference?

Jamil Demby looks like a young Roger Saffold who my win the backup OG & Brain Allen the backup C.

I still liked Austin Bythe has the lead at that position.

fearsomefour

Legend
Austin Blythe is The Rams best OG ??

Allen might end up being that guy though.

EldrenkampI believe will get cut.
I agree.
Guys can improve if course but Eldrenkamp looked overmatched nearly every time we saw him last year. Not unusual for rookies of course.
Blythe and Allen could easily end up the interior depth with Noteboom manning the top backup T spot.

TexasRam

Legend
I don’t see Allen as a guard at all. I think he will be groomed to take over at center for Sullivan in 2020.

I see Blythe as first replacement at center or guard if someone goes down. I think he has shown in preseason and in his short stints in the regular season that he can handle guard and center at a high level.

Noteboom has a long way to go before he steps on the field in my opinion. Lots of upside with his quickness and feet to be a LT but a big project that might not pan out.

Bemby looks like he can play RT or guard within a year.

Of course when preseason comes some of theses guys may shoot up the depth chart.

2019 should be interesting - 3 Olineman hitting free agency and the other two growing grey beards, heading to retirement.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree.
Guys can improve if course but Eldrenkamp looked overmatched nearly every time we saw him last year. Not unusual for rookies of course.
Blythe and Allen could easily end up the interior depth with Noteboom manning the top backup T spot.

Well now that Tavon is gone , The Rams might keep an extra Offensive Lineman on the roster.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I have a ton of faith in Kromer and he was clearly involved in these OL selections.

Let’s don’t forget that this group is his first as a Ram coach and that these surely are “his type” of players.

So, I have expectations of pleasant surprises among our OL depth players this camp and preseason.

Same exact principal applies to Wade’s new LB corps. This was Wade’s first draft where he got significant investments in “his type” of players for his D. That’s huge. They may be later picks, but I’m certain that they caught Wade’s eye during draft and UDFA preparation.

Can’t wait for the camp reports to confirm my predictions.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Austin Blythe is The Rams best OG ??Allen might end up being that guy though. EldrenkampI believe will get cut.
Blythe was the best of everything in the back up OL unit last season. With the new renovations made to the OL cadre thus far in 2018...OT Noteboom, OG/OC Allen, OG/RT Demby & OG Jeremiah Kolone....the need for the dinky 6-2 295 pound Blyhte to concentrate @ OG may diminish greatly.
Sounds good in theory!
The Rams drafted Brain Allen at 6’2 vs Kamp 6’5. & Blythe 6’3 .
2 to 3 inches is going make that much of a difference?
Jamil Demby looks like a young Roger Saffold who my win the backup OG & Brain Allen the backup C.
I still liked Austin Bythe has the lead at that position.
Not sure why Blythe is listed 6-3 he is a true 6-2. Blythe is just so smart & technically advanced that he might play all OL post in any emergency. His true value to Kromer is just that "Mr.OL Versatility". A game day utility OLer who will always dress to make :D Bones happy. Blythe with only 30 inch arms:eek: will find it hard to start in the NFL for any length of time other than @ center.If the 6-5 under 300 lbs Jake Eldrenkamp has not put on some serious lbs by means of muscle & power he will be cut bait before the season begins.
I don’t see Allen as a guard at all. I think he will be groomed to take over at center for Sullivan in 2020.I see Blythe as first replacement at center or guard if someone goes down. I think he has shown in preseason and in his short stints in the regular season that he can handle guard and center at a high level.Noteboom has a long way to go before he steps on the field in my opinion. Lots of upside with his quickness and feet to be a LT but a big project that might not pan out.Bemby looks like he can play RT or guard within a year.Of course when preseason comes some of theses guys may shoot up the depth chart.2019 should be interesting - 3 Olineman hitting free agency and the other two growing grey beards, heading to retirement.
When I watch Brian Allen perform in college he reminds me of 8 time all pro great Ed White who played in 4 SB's who was only 6-1 & 270 lbs when he was drafted. The center position is well covered in 2018. I think we have five centers on this Ram team currently. Yes Allen is sure to get OC action but we will see him a lot @ both OG post in TC & Pre season. Blythe has shown he will be here as a Ram at least till UFA 2020.

Kromer will likely give both Noteboom & Demby all the swing OT action both can stand. The big need here is for both these drafted rookies to overtake UDFA's Darrell Williams & Cornelius Lucas right before the regular season opens. I project that rookies Allen & Kolone along with first season Eldrenkamp will get the major time @ both OG posts. Leaving Blythe & Neary working the OC post over good behind Sullivan.

Like you said TexasRam the 2019 Ram OL is murky muddy & a serious unknown due to those many elements you mentioned. Kromer's must find 3 to 4 starters from this 2018 OL reserve cadre. The future OL is now under major construction with most of the building materials already on site.

Well now that Tavon is gone , The Rams might keep an extra Offensive Lineman on the roster.
Maybe two or three extra OL'ers;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LG- Saffold/ Eldrenkamp
RG- Brown/ R>Allen(4th)

First off I think Allen might compete for the starting job at Center. Doubt he wins it, but IMO he will be in the mix and the Rams will be very strong on the interior depth as a result. Him next to Havenstein is an interesting idea too, but I like him more at center tbh.

Secondly, I think Demoff is going to regret that he didn't lock up Havenstein. He made enormous strides under his new OL coach, and this year is going to be his finest. Still hope it happens too, as there's time. But meh.

Overall looking at the roster the biggest change is in the quality of the OT depth. I'm not high on Noteboom or anything, but he's definitely an improvement over what we had prior. And who knows maybe they get lucky with Demby too.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Always seemed a bit risky to me to dress so few.
I agree completely agree but IMO it is pure evidence of just how well Kromer likes Austin Blythe too. Not dressing Lucas/Neary but for just one gm last season might be evidence of the negative type on them too. Neither may make it past the first cut down.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don’t see Allen as a guard at all. I think he will be groomed to take over at center for Sullivan in 2020.

I see Blythe as first replacement at center or guard if someone goes down. I think he has shown in preseason and in his short stints in the regular season that he can handle guard and center at a high level.

Noteboom has a long way to go before he steps on the field in my opinion. Lots of upside with his quickness and feet to be a LT but a big project that might not pan out.

Bemby looks like he can play RT or guard within a year.

Of course when preseason comes some of theses guys may shoot up the depth chart.

2019 should be interesting - 3 Olineman hitting free agency and the other two growing grey beards, heading to retirement.

Well the gray beards are the core & foundation
still. They played a huge role in how the offensive line really surprised Ram fans that doubt them!! Sullivan could lose his job at any point with all the centers on the roster.
— Kromer seems to really like center types.

The 3 free agents is something that is more worrisome. The young depth was much needed.I see Demby more as a Roger Saffold, Jamon Brown type of player(guard that could play tackle).

It will all play itself out , but this season compared to last season The Rams will keep 10 Offensive Lineman.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
First off I think Allen might compete for the starting job at Center. Doubt he wins it, but IMO he will be in the mix and the Rams will be very strong on the interior depth as a result. Him next to Havenstein is an interesting idea too, but I like him more at center tbh.

Secondly, I think Demoff is going to regret that he didn't lock up Havenstein. He made enormous strides under his new OL coach, and this year is going to be his finest. Still hope it happens too, as there's time. But meh.

Overall looking at the roster the biggest change is in the quality of the OT depth. I'm not high on Noteboom or anything, but he's definitely an improvement over what we had prior. And who knows maybe they get lucky with Demby too.
Demby has been a pure left OT all his NCAA life....but his future might depend on the Havenstein element. I have the same opinion of the three 2019 UFA's that Big Rob would be my #1 priority by far degree. Rams will not be able to come close to paying what starting LG Saffold will get on the open $$$ FA market so kiss him good bye :effemine:now & groom his ASAP for 2019 ! ..Who that will be??? Depends if Whitworth is able to continue after this season???? IF big IF Andrew can go then Noteboom would be the likely starting LG prospect. If NOT then Allen would be the next prospect up with Noteboom taking over for Andrew.IF Brown can be resigned ?? I can see him getting a serious look @ LG too.

Rob Havenstein if he has the same kind of 2018 season he had in 2017 will also demand BIG $$$ on the open market. Not positive we can afford him either so same as the LG post Kromer is looking on the horizon @ RT too. So both Noteboom & Demby figure to come in play @ these two highly probable vacant starting posts. That why I inserted Allen in @ the RG Brown post. Center will not be a problem in 2019 due to having both centers Sullivan & Blythe under contract & neither of them are bonified starting RG material IMO.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Blythe was the best of everything in the back up OL unit last season. With the new renovations made to the OL cadre thus far in 2018...OT Noteboom, OG/OC Allen, OG/RT Demby & OG Jeremiah Kolone....the need for the dinky 6-2 295 pound Blyhte to concentrate @ OG may diminish greatly.
Not sure why Blythe is listed 6-3 he is a true 6-2. Blythe is just so smart & technically advanced that he might play all OL post in any emergency. His true value to Kromer is just that "Mr.OL Versatility". A game day utility OLer who will always dress to make :D Bones happy. Blythe with only 30 inch arms:eek: will find it hard to start in the NFL for any length of time other than @ center.If the 6-5 under 300 lbs Jake Eldrenkamp has not put on some serious lbs by means of muscle & power he will be cut bait before the season begins.
When I watch Brian Allen perform in college he reminds me of 8 time all pro great Ed White who played in 4 SB's who was only 6-1 & 270 lbs when he was drafted. The center position is well covered in 2018. I think we have five centers on this Ram team currently. Yes Allen is sure to get OC action but we will see him a lot @ both OG post in TC & Pre season. Blythe has shown he will be here as a Ram at least till UFA 2020.

Kromer will likely give both Noteboom & Demby all the swing OT action both can stand. The big need here is for both these drafted rookies to overtake UDFA's Darrell Williams & Cornelius Lucas right before the regular season opens. I project that rookies Allen & Kolone along with first season Eldrenkamp will get the major time @ both OG posts. Leaving Blythe & Neary working the OC post over good behind Sullivan.

Like you said TexasRam the 2019 Ram OL is murky muddy & a serious unknown due to those many elements you mentioned. Kromer's must find 3 to 4 starters from this 2018 OL reserve cadre. The future OL is now under major construction with most of the building materials already on site.
Maybe two or three extra OL'ers
;)

First off The Rams kept guys(Lineman) from the practice squad. Center seems to be Kromers thing.
—Les Snead talked about drafting a RB , & said there is only 1 ball!! Same goes for the center position, so how does that play out.

Austin Blythe was solid last season & was put in a very accountable position. He had a lot of responsibility if something was to go Awry !

I’m saying as of Now , until proven otherwise that Jamil Demby is going to be placed primarily at Guard! Kromer likes the big body lineman & Demby is what Kromer looks for in a guard. He will be crosses trained a little as was Big Rob & Jamon Brown, but not at that extent. IMO

This thing is just getting started, but after the draft things have cleared up & Competition is in place.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I’ll keep saying it!! Jamil Demby is a young Roger Saffold!! I could even see him getting starter reps in replace of Saffold on Wednesday’s? Saffold has earned the veteran day off. He has also taken his game to
another level.

Havenstein ?? Will see what Lucas looks like. Big Rob has been good & should get better. His past performance as a Ram can be replaced. Him being healthy & being a contract year might be hard to replace. He and Jamon Brown are going to have an excellent year.

Watching Jamon Brown on FB show puts him at a different level. He might have come to camp heavy, but will put it into muscle & power. He is going to be a road grader.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Demby has been a pure left OT all his NCAA life....but his future might depend on the Havenstein element. I have the same opinion of the three 2019 UFA's that Big Rob would be my #1 priority by far degree. Rams will not be able to come close to paying what starting LG Saffold will get on the open $$$ FA market so kiss him good bye :effemine:now & groom his ASAP for 2019 ! ..Who that will be??? Depends if Whitworth is able to continue after this season???? IF big IF Andrew can go then Noteboom would be the likely starting LG prospect. If NOT then Allen would be the next prospect up with Noteboom taking over for Andrew.IF Brown can be resigned ?? I can see him getting a serious look @ LG too.

Rob Havenstein if he has the same kind of 2018 season he had in 2017 will also demand BIG $$$ on the open market. Not positive we can afford him either so same as the LG post Kromer is looking on the horizon @ RT too. So both Noteboom & Demby figure to come in play @ these two highly probable vacant starting posts. That why I inserted Allen in @ the RG Brown post. Center will not be a problem in 2019 due to having both centers Sullivan & Blythe under contract & neither of them are bonified starting RG material IMO.

I think your way off with moving Noteboom inside. Demby is listed at OG!! He is like Saffold mini me !! He plays on the left side, so LG makes the most sense.

That’s my opinion, but standing strong with it for now. We all have our own predictions.

I still don’t see Saffold ever playing LT for The Rams again!!