Austin Blythe to Chiefs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
This guy any good?
Adequate I think is the best description for him. It could be our coaching not getting the most out of him but most around here won’t be upset to se him leave unless we aren’t able to replace him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Adequate I think is the best description for him. It could be our coaching not getting the most out of him but most around here won’t be upset to se him leave unless we aren’t able to replace him.
Think of a less talented Brett Romberg....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Corbett was a failure at C for the Browns which was his last chance before being traded here.

Please tell us how many snaps Corbett had at Center or OG ? His HC drafted him to be an OT when the rest of the league had him pegged as a Center or OG. Fans recalling his experience at Cleveland as a C/OG are having a very rough time explaining how fast he ended up starting and having success at both RG and LG in LA after never previously taken a regular season snap at those positions.

Shuie3225

Starter
Knowing that reality states you can't spend the big bucks bolstering every position room...which rooms/positions would you spend on? Pretend its a video game and you have 25 experience points(which is cash) to dole out. Lol

QB
WR/TE
OT
OG
C
DE
DT
EDGE
ILB
S
CB

There's no reason to go through it all, but I would've let Floyd walk, got a free 3rd round pick next year, spent good money on a center, and spent anywhere from $5M-$8M on edge. Whoever lines up next to AD will produce. We still haven't restructured Stafford!! There was another $12M thay could've been invested on a top center FA and/or edge.

We went to the super bowl with the #2 offense and #18 defense. Last year with the #1 defense and #22 offense we got blown out in the divisional round. The point is offensive numbers is what matters for us. We made a big move signing Stafford, someone we need to keep upright, and instead of ensuring our OL is dominant we invested in defense. And sorry I dont agree with that strategy for a Sean McVay team.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There's no reason to go through it all, but I would've let Floyd walk, got a free 3rd round pick next year, spent good money on a center, and spent anywhere from $5M-$8M on edge. Whoever lines up next to AD will produce.

We went to the super bowl with the #2 offense and #18 defense. Last year with rhe #1 defense and #22 offense we couldn't even get to the NFCC. The point is offensive numbers is what matters for us. We made a big move signing Stafford, someone we need to keep upright, and instead of ensuring our OL is dominant we invested in defense. And sorry I dont agree with that strategy for a Sean McVay team.
Fair enough i didn't expect you to break it down. I was being a little silly while trying to make a point. It comes down to philosophy on where you want put the cap hit.

The Rams have made it pretty clear where they don't want to put it. With the exception of the (IMO) overvalued WR room, i like where they're putting the dough. QB, OT, pass rush and CB.

The budget is tight. Your scenario isn't a bad scenario, that could work too, but in order to make it work you're going to have to erase more than just the Floyd signing. It's just a matter of philosophy.

IMO throwing Donald out there with no Ramsey and no Floyd surrounded by JAGS would be spinning our wheels on defense. Our OLine is mostly JAGS so i get your point, but we are solid at the Tackles...for now.

dang

Legend
95% of this forum was calling for a replacement for Blythe. We by gosh that’s what we got. I appreciate what Blythe has done for the Rams cbd I wish his the best for the rest of his career. With that said I did not want to see the Rams coming into this season with Blythe under center. I trust the Rams have a plan of action that includes a vet and a rookie. In McVay we trust!!!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Chiefs officially killed their run game. Sigh.
And yeah, everyone & their dog now knows Rams are drafting a C. Chances are Pittsberg is going to pick one up just before we pick, just outta spite.
McSnead will act like nothing's wrong, and say they're totally fine w/ Allen or someone else. I really hope they prove me wrong & draft Mienerz w/ the 2nd pick, PLUS pick up a F/A center -- wait, as I'm typing this, didn't we pick up the 9'ers F/A C??? is he any good?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
You're essentially telling people to trust the pros and not over-react. Over-reacting equates to criticizing. I honestly just like hearing the back and forth since who knows who's right. No matter what happens, people are either going to be with or against the moves the Rams make and voice their thoughts. I'm simply voicing my thoughts in relation to your comments. I'm at the point where I'm just spectating and hoping it all works out.

Over reacting doesn't equate to criticizing. Over reacting equates to over reacting.

Criticizing is "man, it looks like they're in a tough spot now.....who is our starting center? Somebody from the roster? Allen? Shelton? Somebody from the draft? Myers? Humphrey? I wish I knew and I hope they know"

Over reacting is "Blythe sucks but we don't know of any other clear starter on the roster. Oh man, great!!! Blythe signed with KC. We're fooked now!!! Clearly they didn't have a plan!! Clearly they lost their gamble!! Surely they're not going to depend on anybody else on the roster or a rookie center. They should have signed one of those pro bowl centers available in free agency!! No plan!!!"

There doesn't have to be somebody right and somebody wrong. Cause none of us know anyway. And you're right. Different strokes for different folks.

There were 4 guys/positions I was worried about after they traded for Stafford. Leonard Floyd and then resigned him. Darios Williams and they gave him a first round tender. John Johnson but they have 3 or 4 young safties so he was probably the most expendable. And finally a deep threat wide receiver and they answered that question. I was concerned with losing Hill but not as much as DWill. I was concerned with the center position but I figured from the get go, it was either somebody already on the roster (Allen, Shelton, Corbett or Anchrum), a free agent (but I figured that wouldn't be do-able) or a draft pick. And that last one could still happen. A lot of fans worry about "breaking in a rookie center" but with a guy like Stafford, who's already done that once three years ago, I don't see it as a problem. We have a QB with 13 years of experience. He doesn't have to worry about learning how to read coverages. He doesn't have to worry about learning how to move in the pocket. If breaking in a rookie center is his biggest worry, I'm fine with that, because he's done it.

Last edited:

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Over reacting doesn't equate to criticizing. Over reacting equates to over reacting.

Criticizing is "man, it looks like they're in a tough spot now.....who is our starting center? Somebody from the roster? Allen? Shelton? Somebody from the draft? Myers? Humphrey? I wish I knew and I hope they know"

Over reacting is "Blythe sucks but we don't know of any other clear starter on the roster. Oh man, great!!! Blythe signed with KC. We're fooked now!!! Clearly they didn't have a plan!! Clearly they lost their gamble!! Surely they're not going to depend on anybody else on the roster or a rookie center. They should have signed one of those pro bowl centers available in free agency!! No plan!!!"

There doesn't have to be somebody right and somebody wrong. Cause none of us know anyway. And you're right. Different strokes for different folks.

There were 4 guys/positions I was worried about after they traded for Stafford. Leonard Floyd and then resigned him. Darios Williams and they gave him a first round tender. John Johnson but they have 3 or 4 young safties so he was probably the most expendable. And finally a deep threat wide receiver and they answered that question. I was concerned with losing Hill but not as much as DWill. I was concerned with the center position but I figured from the get go, it was either somebody already on the roster (Allen, Shelton, Corbett or Anchrum), a free agent (but I figured that wouldn't be do-able) or a draft pick. And that last one could still happen. A lot of fans worry about "breaking in a rookie center" but with a guy like Stafford, who's already done that once three years ago, I don't see it as a problem. We have a QB with 13 years of experience. He doesn't have to worry about learning how to read coverages. He doesn't have to worry about learning how to move in the pocket. If breaking in a rookie center is his biggest worry, I'm fine with that, because he's done it.
Well now you're talking about the difference between calmly criticizing and going crazy criticizing. Everyone just does it at different levels in my opinion. I'm sure the Rams had a plan, but having one and being able to execute it are completely different. No one on this board exactly knows that so we try to rationalize, fairly or unfairly, what happened. I'm definitely just like it is what is. I actually agree with you on the rookie center part. I stated in another post that if we do, at least that center has Stafford to lean on and learn from because he's definitely done it before. Whether that works or not, who knows. I'm not losing sleep over it because we have a pretty legit team regardless.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I’m going to go slightly below adequate to below average

Heart and Football IQ above average

Talent level is a different thing

I liken him to that much maligned Safey Craig Dahl from yesteryear

High effort low skillset, the kinda of guy that’s very easy to root for

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do not understand why people think letting Blythe go tells teams what we're going to do in the draft.

For one thing, Corbett can play center.

For another, plenty of teams don't need a center, and some that do - including the Rams - might end up taking another position.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I thought y’all would be celebrating Blythe is no longer a blight to the Rams.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boy the Chiefs have hit hard times already.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I do not understand why people think letting Blythe go tells teams what we're going to do in the draft.

For one thing, Corbett can play center.

For another, plenty of teams don't need a center, and some that do - including the Rams - might end up taking another position.

WTF ?? When & where has that happened in his career??

I just don’t understand this rumor ??